PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Max Starks to one year deal

MACH1
07-17-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07/steelers-sign-tackle-max-starks-to-one-year-deal/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

Raw Steel
07-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Line depth. Can't hurt.

Raw Steel
07-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Saw someone beat me to it. You can delete, mod!

Hawaii 5-0
07-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Steelers Sign Tackle Max Starks To One Year Deal

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

He's back! On Tuesday Bob Labriola reported via Twitter that the Pittsburgh Steelers have signed tackle Max Starks to the 90 man roster, a move I have projected to take place for some time now.

Starks said on Twitter just prior to the announcement that he had a good visit with the doctor today and has evidently been cleared to practice after tearing his right ACL in the AFC Wild Card game against the Denver Broncos last January.

The signing of Starks gives the Steelers well needed depth at the tackle position now and Starks very well could be the week 1 starting left tackle depending how rookie second round draft pick Mike Adams performs in training camp. Starks can play both tackle spots, which further improves the Steelers depth as well.

The signing of Starks also makes it even more likely that the Steelers will part ways with Jonathan Scott, who is scheduled to count $2.7 million against the salary cap this season. By releasing Scott, the Steelers will clear an additional $2.2 million in cap space that can be used to sign wide receiver Mike Wallace to a long-term deal.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07/steelers-sign-tackle-max-starks-to-one-year-deal/

Kingmagyar
07-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Ding Dong! The Scott is gone. Which old Scott? The Wicked slow Scott!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Scott is gone.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Slow Scott is gone. He's gone where the goblins go,
Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
Let them know
The Wicked Slow Scott is Gone!!!!

Yes, let the joyous news be spread The wicked Slow Jonathan Scott will soon be gone!

Hawaii 5-0
07-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Steelers re-sign veteran tackle Max Starks

July 17, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers moved to strengthen an offensive line heavy on youth and pedigree by re-signing veteran tackle Max Starks to another one-year contract today.

The signing of their starting left tackle since 2008 gives the Steelers the luxury of keeping second-year pro Marcus Gilbert at right tackle, where he started as a rookie. Starks and rookie Mike Adams, their second-round draft choice, will contend for the starting job at left tackle in training camp.

Before they drafted Adams, the Steelers planned to move Gilbert to left tackle. Gilbert practiced on both sides during the spring.

Starks, an unrestricted free agent this year, underwent ACL surgery in January but proclaimed on Twitter this afternoon that "It's a great day, doc gave me a great report! On my way to being game ready."

Starks' experience with the Steelers since they drafted him on the third round from Florida in 2004 has been a mix of success and oddity. He became their starting right tackle in 2005, when they won a Super Bowl, and stayed there until Willie Colon beat him out in 2007.

Nevertheless, the Steelers made him their transition player in 2008 and paid him a one-year deal of nearly $7 million. He opened that season again as a backup but started 11 games at left tackle for an injured Marvel Smith.

In 2009, the Steelers named him their franchise player and paid him nearly $8.5 million for one season and he started every game at left tackle. Before training camp in 2010, they signed him to a four-year, $26.3 million contract. However, his season ended after seven games because of a neck injury and before the 2011 camp began, they released him for salary cap purposes.

They opened last season with Jonathan Scott as their left tackle but after four games, they signed Starks to a one-year contract and he started the rest of the way at left tackle, injuring his knee in the second quarter of their playoff loss to Denver. He became an unrestricted free agent in March and general manager Kevin Colbert said then that they would wait until the summer to determine whether to re-sign him.

No financial terms of Starks' one-year deal were available.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-re-sign-veteran-tackle-max-starks-645041/#ixzz20trDnY00

Merchant
07-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Good move. He can serve as a mentor to Mike Adams and Gilbert and provide depth if anything.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Good move. He can serve as a mentor to Mike Adams and Gilbert and provide depth if anything.

I hope he doesnt mentor them. I have high hopes that those 2 young guys will realize their potential instead of being mediocre like Starks.

This at least means that Gilbert can start at RT and not have to worry about switching to LT if Adams cant win the starting job. If they free up any cap room and release Jon Scott, then its a win as well.

tanda10506
07-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Excellent! The FO has done EVERYTHING perfectly this off season. As much as I love Starks, I hope he isn't on the field much because that would mean Adams was injured or not working out. Either way, now we have a good LT who can step in and play instead of moving around the whole offensive line if Adams goes down. And that's even a better option compared to putting in Johnathan Scott.

Let them know

Yes, let the joyous news be spread The wicked Slow Jonathan Scott will soon be gone!

Seek help sir

truesteelerfan
07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
About time! Glad he's healthy enough to get a look - other than health, can't imagine why they would keep Scott over Starks - anyone know his cap number?

StainlessStill
07-17-2012, 04:11 PM
SOLID. Freakin' SOLID. It's scary the team we are putting together, both from a starters standpoint, a competition standpoint and a depth standpoint.

We'll be in the hunt. The AFC is certainly in our grasps:tt04:.

BIGNASTY91
07-17-2012, 04:31 PM
SOLID. Freakin' SOLID. It's scary the team we are putting together, both from a starters standpoint, a competition standpoint and a depth standpoint.

We'll be in the hunt. The AFC is certainly in our grasps:tt04:.

Exactly the way i feel!!!! And i just love how everybody is writting us off this year. We are building something special here that will keep us on top for years to come!!!!!!!!!!!!:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Justin Otstott
07-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Our line is going to be strong this year, didn't see the Max deal coming either.

steelfury02
07-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Meanwhile, somewhere near the Ravens' facilities . . .

"THEY JUST DID WHAT!?!?!? Tell Gumby to put the basketball down and get in here, RIGHT AWAY!"

67 calsteel
07-17-2012, 06:25 PM
love the move.
one down -goodbye scott and two to go .D.johnson and will allen

67 calsteel
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM
wish the steelers had signed him to 2 year deal.Why not give are self two years of stablibility at tackle.

FrancoLambert
07-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Good move, he provides veteran insurance. The icing on the cake sends Scott packing. As previously mentioned, hopefully Stonehands Johnson is a camp casualty.

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Let them know

:sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
07-17-2012, 06:44 PM
put the cheeseburgers down max.

pancake
07-17-2012, 06:57 PM
I said all along that I thought we would bring him back. I don't think it's a loss if he starts over Adams, LT is a very important position to trust to a rookie. I hope we cut Scott and use that money for Wallace.

Hawaii 5-0
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Steelers Again Have Opportunity To Give Life To Dead Money By Bringing Back Starks

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

If you have read Steelers Depot for some time now, and listened to our podcast, you know that I am in no way surprised that the Pittsburgh Steelers brought back tackle Max Starks today on a one-year deal. It wasn't a matter of if it would happen in, only a matter of when in my opinion.

With Starks now back in the fold, it once again gives the Steelers the opportunity to give life to dead salary cap money that was created when Starks was released at the end of July last offseason. When Starks was released it created dead money charges of $2 million in both 2011 and 2012, because of the left over amortization amount of the $8 million signing bonus that he received with his new contract back in 2009.

The Steelers of course brought back Starks last season on a one-year contract for the minimum following the week 4 loss to the Houston Texans. The contract essential counted $619,000 against the 2011 salary cap and thus helped the Steelers feel like they were getting some worth out of the $2 million dead money charge.

Starks played well upon his return and helped stabilize the offensive line some in the process. Essentially Starks cost the Steelers $2.619 million in 2011 and I feel they got their moneys worth.

Had Starks not torn his right ACL in the AFC Wild Card game against the Denver Broncos this past January, it was a good bet that the Steelers would have brought him back for one more year, even after drafting Mike Adams in the second round of the draft. The torn up knee of course threw some degree of uncertainty into the picture, because it all became predicated on how quickly he could rehab.

With Starks now back under contract, the Steelers once again have a shot at giving life to the 2012 portion of his dead money. While financial details of the one year contract that he signed today have not been made public yet, it is believed to be a qualifying contract of $825,000. The max amount of signing bonus that Starks can receive with that type of contract is $65,000, so that means his 2012 salary cap charge will be no greater than $605,000, because of the discount allowed with that type of deal.

Should Starks indeed make the 53 man roster out of camp, he essentially will cost them $2.605 million against the 2012 cap. If he doesn't, the Steelers will only be on the hook for the amount of the signing bonus they game him on Tuesday, if any, along with the $2 million in dead money that was there to begin with.

Currently, Starks is just 6 months removed from his surgery, so it should not alarm anyone if he starts training camp off on the Active PUP list. In fact, I would be mighty surprised if he doesn't. Starting training camp off on the PUP will allow him to slowly work on building up his conditioning, while also giving him time to learn the nuances of the new offense being installed by Todd Haley. He can also help tutor the rookie Adams in addition.

As far as preseason playing time goes, the third or final exhibition game would likely be the best bet to see him return to the field. There is no reason to rush him along right now, as Adams could certainly use as much playing time as possible to see if he can win the starting left tackle spot. If he can't, Starks should be ready to open the season at Denver as the starter on the left side.

The return of Starks also should now allow second year tackle Marcus Gilbert to remain focused on the right tackle position throughout training camp, the position he played for nearly all of his rookie year after Willie Colon was lost for the season in week 1 against the Baltimore Ravens.

While backup tackle Jonathan Scott is likely feeling a bit more uneasy on Tuesday, the Steelers will likely keep him around as long as possible throughout training camp just in case of an emergency. The Steelers have plenty of cap space right now with him on the roster, so it would not be surprising to see him stay until Starks can get a preseason game underneath his belt. It only makes sense to do that. The only way they would possibly need that $2.2 million of cap space that they will save by releasing Scott, is when and if they come to terms with restricted free agent Mike Wallace on a new long-term deal.

The Steelers move to bring back Starks is really a win-win for everyone as the only thing they stand to lose is any bonus money that Starks might have received, and as I noted earlier, that will be no greater than $65,000.

Welcome back Max, I knew you would return!

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_again_have_opportunity_to_give_life_to_de ad_money_by_bringing_back_starks/11239654

LayingTheWoodley56
07-17-2012, 09:33 PM
I like the move a lot. We know Ben loves him, he's a solid tackle if not spectacular and it can't hurt to have the depth he brings along the front, plus a proven starter in case Adams isn't quite ready yet. He's not the best but his return seemed to have made a difference last year and given that injuries are inevitable over the course of a season, the more productive guys we have the better.

stb_steeler
07-17-2012, 09:41 PM
put the cheeseburgers down max.

Bout time he gets off the :couch: also......:thumbsup:

Ironman55
07-18-2012, 12:05 AM
The whole line is nearly Gators!! LOL ... See ya Scott!!! He was a huge liability for us. I could not stand Scott!!

PhantomJB93
07-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Good. Best case scenario, Adams lives up to his potential as the starting LT and we have a legitimate, solid backup in Starks who can step in and play at either tackle spot if anyone gets hurt. Worst case, Adams need a year to develop and we still have a good starting LT in Starks.

I still think Starks was our best lineman last season, even better than Pouncey. Obviously Pouncey was better in his rookie year and Starks wasn't always that great, but last year I thought Starks played phenomenal.

Steelerfreak58
07-18-2012, 12:56 AM
I think Starks has a shot at making one of the tackle spots for sure. He played LIGHTS OUT coming off the couch last year for us. He shut SUGGS down in that second game against the Ravens you heard nothing from SUGGS all night. If anything he will be one hell of a back up line man if both Rookies make immediate impacts.

Not to mention Colon as we all know is pretty fragile so having Max on the spot will do the team some good.

Steelersfan87
07-18-2012, 01:42 AM
Despite Colon missing almost the entirety of two consecutive seasons, I would hardly describe him as fragile. I think those were freak injuries unlikely to recur. He was regarded as a bit of an ironman before his first injury. But I understand that he still has to come back and prove doubters wrong.

And as much as I like Starks, I certainly wouldn't agree that he was their best lineman last year. He had a couple of great games, but he also had a couple bad ones, including an ugly one against SF where Justin Smith and Aldon Smith made him look like Scott. Granted, that's some elite competition. Here's hoping he doesn't need to start this year, but I won't be worried if he does.

TheVet
07-18-2012, 02:57 AM
I agreed with Doddens, Starks certainly wasn't the strongest lineman last year. In fact, he was a mid-level performer on a bottom tier O-line, which is less than comfortable.

This year, with a healthy Pouncey and upgrades at both guards, Starks would be the weakest link - if pressed into a starting role by injuries or disappointing progress by Adams. However, the upgraded O-line will be in much better shape overall, and it should be able to accommodate a single weakness - whether its Starks, or one of our other backups.

But if all goes well, not Jonathan Scott, thankfully!

Steelerfreak58
07-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Despite Colon missing almost the entirety of two consecutive seasons, I would hardly describe him as fragile. I think those were freak injuries unlikely to recur. He was regarded as a bit of an ironman before his first injury. But I understand that he still has to come back and prove doubters wrong.

And as much as I like Starks, I certainly wouldn't agree that he was their best lineman last year. He had a couple of great games, but he also had a couple bad ones, including an ugly one against SF where Justin Smith and Aldon Smith made him look like Scott. Granted, that's some elite competition. Here's hoping he doesn't need to start this year, but I won't be worried if he does.

How many games has Colon played the last two seasons because of injuries? You wouldn't describe him as fragile? Who would you describe as that then? I guess your idea of "fragile" is a hell of a lot different then mine.

Bayz101
07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
How many games has Colon played the last two seasons because of injuries? You wouldn't describe him as fragile? Who would you describe as that then? I guess your idea of "fragile" is a hell of a lot different then mine.

Unlucky.

Steelersfan87
07-18-2012, 04:24 PM

If you take out the last two seasons, he's never missed a game in his career. His two injuries were freak injuries that don't indicate a continuing pattern, so it's unfair to label him as "fragile" or "soft". Sometimes shit just happens, you know? Colon's a tough, physical player, and I think he'll be fine. I see no reason to project that he'll get a serious injury at some point during the season.

Bayz101
07-18-2012, 04:42 PM
If you take out the last two seasons, he's never missed a game in his career. His two injuries were freak injuries that don't indicate a continuing pattern, so it's unfair to label him as "fragile" or "soft". Sometimes shit just happens, you know? Colon's a tough, physical player, and I think he'll be fine. I see no reason to project that he'll get a serious injury at some point during the season.

I agree, now my question to you, and forgive me for going off-topic, do you feel the same way about Sanders?

Steelersfan87
07-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Absolutely. Like Pouncey, Sanders suffered much of the last season due to lingering late-season injuries from the year before that they've since had taken care of. I believe that both are ready to go and that their injury risk should not be much greater than anybody else on the team. I think both are poised to have big seasons. Frankly, I don't think Brown should be handed the number 2 job. He would ideally have to earn it by outperforming Sanders and Cotchery.

Bayz101
07-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Absolutely. Like Pouncey, Sanders suffered much of the last season due to lingering late-season injuries from the year before that they've since had taken care of. I believe that both are ready to go and that their injury risk should not be much greater than anybody else on the team. I think both are poised to have big seasons. Frankly, I don't think Brown should be handed the number 2 job. He would ideally have to earn it by outperforming Sanders and Cotchery.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders is this years Brown, if you know what I mean. No one expected Brown to win team MVP, and if Sanders stays healthy, he's going to be pushing to get his name out there and shows he's worthy of a big contract.

Galax Steeler
07-18-2012, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders is this years Brown, if you know what I mean. No one expected Brown to win team MVP, and if Sanders stays healthy, he's going to be pushing to get his name out there and shows he's worthy of a big contract.

I agree he will see his number called more this year especially if we can't sign Wallace.

stiller39
07-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Starks has always been the consumate professional whether he was starting or not signed with the team. The young guys could learn alot from him on this subject alone.

Steelersfan87
07-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I wrote an article trying to make sense of the Starks and Wallace situation and how they intertwine, trying to disentangle various threads. Sorry for posting it in both threads, but it's equally applicable to both.

Steelers' re-signing of Max Starks may also help to retain Mike Wallace (http://www.examiner.com/article/steelers-re-signing-of-max-starks-may-also-help-to-retain-mike-wallace-part-1?cid=db_articles)

Yesterday, knowledgeable members of Steeler Nation were pleased to hear the news that veteran tackle Max Starks had re-signed with the team on a one year deal. Though it is not the ideal scenario that he start (the hope is that rookie second round left tackle Mike Adams out of Ohio State will be ready to start week 1), it is a valuable option. In addition, the return of Starks shores up the weakest link in an otherwise very promising rebuilt offensive line that includes 4 picks in the top 2 rounds of the draft over the past 3 seasons: depth at the tackle position.

When looking at the opening day starting lineup in 2011, it is projected that there will be only one starter returning to his position when this season gets under way: All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert, a rookie 2nd round pick last year, did start 13 games, but Willie Colon was the starting right tackle on opening day before being lost for the season due to injury.

The Steelers are likely approximately $3 million under the 2012 salary cap after factoring in Starks’ speculated veteran minimum contract. The team also has the opportunity to exercise 3 $500,000 veteran salary cap credits, which, in essence, would shift $1.5 million against the 2012 salary cap to 2013. That would theoretically place the team somewhere around $4.5 million under the salary cap.

Add in the fact that Mike Wallace’s $2.7 million 1st round tender that he has not signed is already factored into the salary cap total, and that leaves the team with over $7 million against the salary cap to donate to signing Wallace. If you then consider the hypothetical release of Jonathan Scott, which seems likely with the return of Max Starks regardless of the Wallace decision, and it now approaches somewhere around the $9.5 million figure.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Starks has always been the consumate professional whether he was starting or not signed with the team. The young guys could learn alot from him on this subject alone.

Like last year during the lockout when he ate his way to being released? The guy has been happy with being mediocre his entire career

. If the move allows us to free up money to extend Wallace and have veteran depth for a year it's fine, but Starks has never established himself to the level of guys like Marvel Smith, Wayne Gandy, John Jackson, Leon Searcy, Justin Strylczuk,etc.

Fire Arians
07-19-2012, 02:07 PM
nice, i can sleep easier knowing that jonathan rollerskates scott isn't the #1 backup. and his 2.5 million can get cut and spent elsewhere

Hawaii 5-0
07-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Starks To Start Camp On PUP & Says Haley Offense Very Similar To Whisenhunt’s

Wednesday, July 18th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Max Starks was welcomed back to Pittsburgh Wednesday morning in an interview on DVE Radio. During the interview Starks shared his thoughts on whether or not he thought he would be back with the Steelers, if he thinks he will start at left tackle and the new play-book of offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

"Did I think I would not be here? Yeah, yeah, I definitely did," said Starks, when asked if he had thoughts that he might not possibly be back with the Steelers. "I had that thought in my mind." He continued, "How things happened early on last year. You know, just trying to be realistic and having an injury, having an ACL, I did not think I had an opportunity here."

"I was very fortunate when I came in yesterday. Dr. Bradley gave me a good report and thanked me for working as hard as I did. And then the next thing you know I went and met with management and they gave me an opportunity and asked me if I wanted an opportunity. And I was blessed and fortunate to get it."

Starks was later asked if it was his intentions to teach rookie tackle Mike Adams by letting him watch on the sideline as he started. "I'm going to do what I've always done and that's always help young guys if they ask me for it. But once again, at the end of the day, I'll probably be starting out on PUP, so I'll be in a watching role."

When pressed further if he thought that he would be the starting left tackle this year, Starks said, "I'm a confident individual. If given the opportunity, yeah I don't see why I wouldn't compete for the starting the job."

Starks talked later about getting the play-book yesterday and his thoughts on the new offense being installed by Haley. "I already had some familiarity, because Todd's system is very similar to Ken Whisenhunt's," said Starks. "So I was already familiar with it and I talked to Koogs (offensive line coach Sean Kugler) yesterday and we went over some of the stuff."

"I'm pretty familiar with it," added Starks. "It's the old system I ran the first three years here. A little bit nuanced as far as the play-calling style and some of the play names, they kind of tweaked them a little bit. As far as knowing what the plays are, I don't think it'll be that tough to pick up."

The declaration made by Starks that he will likely be starting off training camp on the Active PUP list is not a surprising one. He is only 6 months now removed from the surgery on his right ACL, so it is possible that he will not see action in the preseason until about the third or fourth game. The first part of camp he will be working on strengthening that knee even more and working on his overall conditioning.

The Steelers know what Starks is capable and not capable of doing already, so with him working on continuing his own rehab, they can get a long look at Adams early on to see if he can win the starting left tackle spot outright.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/starks_to_start_camp_on_pup_says_haley_offense_ver y_similar_to_whisenhunts/11246965