PDA

View Full Version : David DeCastro Signs Contract

ricardisimo
07-18-2012, 04:10 AM
When the hell is he going to sign? Any gossip?

Steel_Bus_24
07-18-2012, 05:44 AM
can't say Im not worried about him sticking it to the Steelers for years to come on the buisness side

He is a confessed CryHawk fan...and will probably have to be kept very happy around here for him to stay long term

Vis
07-18-2012, 07:01 AM
He's in limbo because of Weeden. If Weeden gets 4 years guaranteed, Reiff will try as well. Those are the dominos.

MasterOfPuppets
07-18-2012, 10:40 AM
# 22 weeden and # 23 reiff aren't signed yet .... i don't get it , # 21 jones contract is only for $8,173,501 total with a $4,384,368 signing bonus ...chump change compared to a lot of vets ..i'd think decastro is a safe enough pick to guarantee a 7.8 mill 4 year contract too...:noidea:

# 26 Mercilus....$3,992,064 bonus ....$7,634,088 total

rookie contract link
http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/rookiecap.php

Vis
07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
# 22 weeden and # 23 reiff aren't signed yet .... i don't get it , # 21 jones contract is only for $8,173,501 total with a $4,384,368 signing bonus ...chump change compared to a lot of vets ..i'd think decastro is a safe enough pick to guarantee a 7.8 mill 4 year contract too...:noidea:

Jones didn't get the fourth year fully guaranteed. Weeden is fighting to get his fully guaranteed because he's a qb and on social security. If Weeden wins that fight Reiff, DeCastro and Hightower will get a larger portion of their fourth years guaranteed.

MasterOfPuppets
07-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Jones didn't get the fourth year fully guaranteed. Weeden is fighting to get his fully guaranteed because he's a qb and on social security. If Weeden wins that fight Reiff, DeCastro and Hightower will get a larger portion of their fourth years guaranteed.
i get it , i'm just sayin that 1st rounders usually are kept around for the life of the 1st contract anyway , so whats the difference if it's guaranteed or not ? 7-8 mill is just a drop in the bucket compared to a lot of todays contracts considering thats not even one years pay to some. if for no other reason i'd guarantee all four years just to screw the browns negotiations up...:chuckle: ... decastro = safe...weeden = ?

Vis
07-18-2012, 12:02 PM
i get it , i'm just sayin that 1st rounders usually are kept around for the life of the 1st contract anyway , so whats the difference if it's guaranteed or not ? 7-8 mill is just a drop in the bucket compared to a lot of todays contracts considering thats not even one years pay to some. if for no other reason i'd guarantee all four years just to screw the browns negotiations up...:chuckle: ... decastro = safe...weeden = ?

The difference is the career ending injury and how much you get if this first contract is the only contract. As people are fond of saying in the threads about the concussion lawsuits, players know the risks of stepping on that field. They don't know that a fourth year guarantee is meaningless, they just hope it is.

Justin Otstott
07-18-2012, 12:05 PM
can't say Im not worried about him sticking it to the Steelers for years to come on the buisness side

He is a confessed CryHawk fan...and will probably have to be kept very happy around here for him to stay long term

That does kind of bug me and makes me wonder how loyal he will stay to the team. The kid is a great talent.

Steelerfreak58
07-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Its business the kid has to get what his current market value is worth can't blame him. The other 20's haven't signed his agent is telling him to hold on. He will be in camp for sure.

Vis
07-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Good news. Hightower just signed. That sets the floor for DeCastro.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/18/pats-do-deal-with-donta-hightower/[/Dont’a Hightower signs with Patriots
The Patriots have signed the last of their draft picks in time for the rookies to report to training camp tomorrow.

Linebacker Dont’a Hightower, who was taken with the 25th pick, reached an agreement today, according to Pro Football Talk. It’s a four-year contract with a team option for a fifth year. The option must be picked up after Hightower’s third season.

Because Hightower was the last draft pick to sign, the two sides — his camp and the Patriots — knew exactly how much money remained in the Pats’ rookie pool, which means the snag was in guaranteed money.

Interestingly, entering today, Hightower was one of five players drafted between Nos. 20-25 who hadn’t yet signed. The only exception was Chandler Jones, who was locked up May 23.

While the Patriots’ veterans report to camp July 25 (and practice for the first time July 26), the rookies have to show up tomorrow. Now, they’re all under contract.

pancake
07-18-2012, 09:11 PM

I think after 4 years with the Seelers, he will want to keep winning and stay in the Burgh. Im sure the Steelers wasn't Fanaca's favorite growing up...

Hawaii 5-0
07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
DeCastro, Adams will have hands full

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, July 19, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=JEjTw afQedptCA2PvbJHn8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuPOybN$X6hCfs ChUGf5$VaWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Doesn’t matter where a player is drafted, how much money he earns, how many All-American teams he made or how many college games he dominated. There’s nothing easy about being an NFL rookie offensive lineman.

“There’s no comfort level, none at all,” said Alan Faneca, the most accomplished offensive guard to play for the Steelers and a player who well remembers what a challenge his rookie season was in 1998. “You’ve been thrown a playbook that’s two or three times bigger than it was in college. You’re going out on the field thinking, not playing.”

You’re lost.

Even the best players struggle with terminology, the playbook’s complexity, the significantly upgraded competition, Faneca said. The same lineman who spent a couple of seasons roughing up college undergraduates becomes overwhelmed going up against defensive linemen with 10 years of experience and a commensurately deep bag of tricks.

Faneca, a nine-time Pro Bowl lineman who retired last year, knows exactly what the Steelers’ top two draft picks, David DeCastro and Mike Adams, will be going through when training camp starts Wednesday in Latrobe.

DeCastro, from Stanford, is being called the best guard to come into the league since … yes, Faneca. Adams, a mountainous pass blocker who often obliterated pass rushers at Ohio State, will get the chance to start at left tackle.

But there’s a reason the Steelers brought back Max Starks, signing the offensive tackle to a one-year contract to compete with Adams. Game speed in the NFL is difficult for rookies, and the blocking assignments can vary greatly from week to week.

“What you get this Wednesday doesn’t look at all what you got last Wednesday,” Faneca said.

The only rookie offensive linemen to start a Steelers opener during the Super Bowl era are Tom Ricketts (1989), Marvel Smith (2000) and Maurkice Pouncey (2010). Faneca and Kendall Simmons (2002) also started as rookies, but not in the opener.

“It’s hard,” Faneca said. “It’s just not the same as college football. My rookie season, I was playing next to Dermontti Dawson, one of the all-time greats, and I’m trying to live up to that playing. But it was a veteran crew, and they imparted knowledge that stuck. After a while, that made it easier.”

The Steelers’ offensive line, a perceived weakness for years, is undergoing an overhaul that began in 2010 with the drafting of Pouncey, a center. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert came aboard last season, and DeCastro and Adams arrived this spring.

But DeCastro and Adams were limited to a three-day minicamp last month, and their first extensive exposure to new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system won’t begin until next week. It seems likely DeCastro will start the Sept. 9 opener in Denver, but he still must beat out Ramon Foster and Trai Essex.

“It can be a struggle for a rookie,” said Jamie Dukes, an NFL Network analyst and a 10-season lineman in the league. “You don’t know the personnel. You don’t know (Bills defensive lineman) Mario Williams’ moves. You’re blocking several layers deep, and blitz pickup can be an issue.”

The advantage that DeCastro and Adams own over linemen who came into the league only a few seasons ago is that the proliferation of passing-heavy, spread-type offenses is speeding up the learning curve.

“How many rookie linemen start? Fifteen years ago, the answer was none,” said former Dallas Cowboys player personnel vice president Gil Brandt. “But the players we get today from colleges are so much better equipped to play in the NFL. Adams and DeCastro, they pass-blocked more in one year than the player we used to get did during an entire college career.”

In 2007, all four offensive linemen drafted in the first round — Joe Thomas, Levi Brown, Joe Staley and Ben Grubbs — became starters almost immediately.

Dukes said this familiarity with the passing game means “from an academic standpoint, it’s not as big a challenge that wide receiver or quarterback is. You just have to get up to speed.”

For all the challenges of developing brand-new linemen, the Steelers appear to be embracing them more eagerly than the rival Baltimore Ravens. And that might be the biggest difference between franchises with so many similarities and identical 12-4 records last season.

Even if Starks starts, the average age of the Steelers’ offensive line starters — with DeCastro in the lineup — would be 25½. All five projected Ravens starters are older than that, with an average age of nearly 32. And keeping linemen healthy as they age can be a challenge.

“But you’ve got to be up to the task,” Faneca said. “It’s how hard you work, your willingness to go out there and watch the older guys who are trying to help you along and lead you in the right direction.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2221076-85/decastro-adams-linemen-offensive-rookie-steelers-faneca-college-lineman-season

Rick5895
07-20-2012, 03:22 AM
He'll be signed. For all those worrying about his loyalty because he hasn't signed yet, relax, we will have him for a good 10 years if he lives up to the billing he has received. Im sure he will be in on time for camp.

Vis
07-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Lions strike a deal with first-rounder Riley Reiff
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 23, 2012, 7:51 AM EDT
Detroit Lions Minicamp Getty Images

The pace of rookie signings has been fast this offseason, and the final push is getting underway this morning.

The Lions reached a contract agreement with first-round pick Riley Reiff, according to Tim Twentyman of the Lions’ official website. He’ll report to camp with the rest of their rookies today.

According to the slotted salary system, Reiff will get a four-year deal worth $7.993 million.

Going into the final days of offseason (for which the Lions should be grateful), there are now just 24 unsigned draft picks, including nine more first rounders.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

This boxes DeCastro in. Time to sign.

tony hipchest
07-23-2012, 12:43 PM
...just signed as per mark kaboly via twitter. terms undisclosed.

tony hipchest
07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
David DeCastro signed his rookie contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday, a team source told NFL.com and NFL Network's Albert Breer.

The Stanford tackle, selected No. 24 overall in the 2012 NFL Draft, missed the Steelers OTAs because of the university's quarter system.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ac03db/article/devid-decastro-pittsburgh-steelers-agree-to-contract?campaign=Twitter_news

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette
#steelers get 4-year deal done with top pick DeCastro, plus 5th option

GMU Steeler
07-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks DeCastro for the early birthday present.

austinfrench76
07-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Bring Wednesda on!!!!!

Vis
07-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Woohoo

Now get Wallace done and lace em up

The Pepsi is on me...

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/news/2012/Pepsi-MAX-Can-Steelers_200x502.jpg

Vis
07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
DeCastro gets fourth-year roster, workout bonuses
Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
David DeCastro AP

The Steelers were believed to be dug in regarding the question of whether any portion of guard Dave DeCastro’s fourth-year compensation would be guaranteed. In the end, none of it is.

As a practical matter, some of it is.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract between the Steelers and the 24th overall pick in the 2012 draft (which will become official on Tuesday), the Steelers agreed to shift $325,000 of the 2015 pay into a roster bonus that is believed to be due early in the offseason. Another $100,000 has been moved to a workout bonus.

The Patriots gave linebacker Dont’a Hightower, the 25th pick in the draft, no guarantees or similar devices in the fourth year of the deal. It’s unknown whether and to what extent the Lions did anything other than commit to a non-guaranteed base salary for tackle Riley Reiff, the 23rd overall pick, in year four.

Last year, the 24th pick (Cameron Jordan of the Saints) received no guarantees or similar devices in the fourth year of the deal. The 23rd pick (Eagles guard Danny Watkins) had $100,000 of his 2014 salary shifted to a reporting bonus, per a league source.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

ricardisimo
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Awesome. Let's get this party started. I must say, it looks like the owners got what they wanted, by and large, regarding rookie salaries. Not sure if this is something in the new CBA, or if all it took was having Al Davis die.

Steel_Bus_24
07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Just about time to start practicing our gamefaces in earnest:tt03:

pancake
07-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Awesome. Let's get this party started. I must say, it looks like the owners got what they wanted, by and large, regarding rookie salaries. Not sure if this is something in the new CBA, or if all it took was having Al Davis die.

Definitely CBA, but the Davis comment was funny... :hatsoff:

Fire Arians
07-23-2012, 06:08 PM
All we have to do now is sign wallace and we're ready to rock

mesaSteeler
07-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Steelers reach terms with 1st-round pick DeCastro
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2257440-85/decastro-steelers-million-pick-contract-camp-deal-guard-offensive-rookie
About Alan Robinson
Tribune-Review Sports reporter Alan Robinson can be reached via e-mail or at 888-PIT-TRIB.

By Alan Robinson

Published: Monday, July 23, 2012, 2:22 p.m.
Updated 5 minutes ago

David DeCastro drew comparisons to former All-Pro guard Alan Faneca while protecting No.1 draft pick Andrew Luck at Stanford. Now he can only hope to emulate Faneca’s 10-year career with the Steelers.

DeCastro, who unexpectedly fell to the Steelers at No. 24 in the draft, reached terms Monday on a four-year contract that includes a fifth-year option. The deal allows him to report to camp Wednesday at St. Vincent College in Latrobe.

Based on the NFL rookie wage scale, DeCastro’s deal is worth $7.814 million. Only the first three seasons are fully guaranteed, but the Steelers likely sweetened the fourth year with roster and workout bonuses, a common way to add non-guaranteed money to such deals.

DeCastro, a 6-foot-5, 315-pound offensive guard, agreed to terms shortly after No. 23 pick Riley Reiff, a tackle, firmed up an estimated $8 million, four-year contract with the Detroit Lions. Linebacker Dont’a Hightower, chosen 25th by the New England Patriots, previously agreed to a $7.7 million contract that guarantees him a reported $6.3 million.

The Steelers are hoping DeCastro will be able to start immediately at right guard and shore up the protection for Ben Roethlisberger, who was sacked 40 times last season. They could start two rookie offensive linemen for the first time if Mike Adams, their second-round pick from Ohio State, beats out holdover Max Starks at left tackle.

Because of Stanford’s academic schedule, DeCastro missed spring workouts and was available only for the three-day minicamp in June. By completing a deal, he won’t miss any camp time.

The only unsigned Steelers player is wide receiver Mike Wallace, who is attempting to negotiate a multi-year contract. He has not signed a $2.7 million tender offer.

The Steelers filled out their 90-man camp roster by signing rookie free agent Bridger Buche, an offensive tackle who started all 10 games he played last season at Eastern Michigan.

(It's just a vision but I'd love to see DeCastro as a pulling guard on running play meet Ray Ray the murderer and pancaking him into retirement. On the next running play DeCastro flattens Suggs the thug and Suggise decides to retire from football to purse his life long goal of being the lead soprano of the Vienna boys choir. - mesa)

LVSteelersfan
07-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Steelers reach terms with 1st-round pick DeCastro

(It's just a vision but I'd love to see DeCastro as a pulling guard on running play meet Ray Ray the murderer and pancaking him into retirement. On the next running play DeCastro flattens Suggs the thug and Suggise decides to retire from football to purse his life long goal of being the lead soprano of the Vienna boys choir. - mesa)

I have said the exact same thing several times. I hope DeCastro and Adams take turns pulling and knocking Ray Ray on his butt. He needs to be retired. I am so sick of his ugly mug on game days and the talk that he is the best LB in the history of the league. What a crock.

ricardisimo
07-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I have said the exact same thing several times. I hope DeCastro and Adams take turns pulling and knocking Ray Ray on his butt. He needs to be retired. I am so sick of his ugly mug on game days and the talk that he is the best LB in the history of the league. What a crock.
He's one of the best ILBs/MLBs in the history of the game. If he isn't, then all of the great splash plays he's made against us over the years just make us look sad. And you know, he has more interceptions over his career than Troy Polamalu, a first-ballot-Hall-of-Fame defensive back. I'd say that's pretty good.

All of this will, of course, only make the eventual pancaking from DeCastro that much more satisfying. I'm waiting for the nasty finger point from David after the whistle, advising him to stay down.
:applaudit:

steelfury02
07-26-2012, 08:59 AM
oh man - I have been salivating over how nasty Pouncey can get over the past couple seasons - just imagine when this group is together on a weekly basis - if it clicks we become verrrrrry formidable

The finger pointing is one of the most gratifying things to see on TV for a fan. The 08 AFC champ game was some of the best hitting and jawing I've witnessed EVER

Blitzburghfan
07-29-2012, 06:49 PM
already being compared to alan fanaca.........those are some pretty big shoes to fill....hope the hype doesn't get to him, if our "newly" drafted lineman pan out and are as good as advertised, we will have an incredible line for many years....here's hoping

zcoop
07-29-2012, 07:22 PM
already being compared to alan fanaca.........those are some pretty big shoes to fill....hope the hype doesn't get to him, if our "newly" drafted lineman pan out and are as good as advertised, we will have an incredible line for many years....here's hoping

He'll pan out, this kid's pretty good.

teegre
07-29-2012, 08:05 PM
He'll pan out, this kid's pretty good.

Indeed. I watched the kid for two years, at Stanford... salivating... dreaming... hoping. My dreams came true.

I haven't been this excited about a draft pick since BB.