PDA

View Full Version : Extra Point Kicking Lineman?

DrDangler
07-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm hoping somebody here can refresh my memory.

In my mind, I can recall an occasion where a lineman was called to duty as a kicker for a P.A.T. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't a F.G.)

I think it was during the dynasty years of the 70's.

I'm thinking it was Ray Mansfield or John Banaszak.

I cannot find anything on the net to verify. Not stats on The Football Database or anything.

Does anyone else remember this? Am I crazy?

I don't even remember if the P.A.T. was good or not. I think he missed because I think I recall him kind of laughing as he trotted back off of the field and shrugging his shoulders. I also (think) I remember him kicking with the old, straight-on style.

Thanks for reading my post.

Go Steelers!

DD

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Lou Michaels in the 60's was a lineman and our kicker.

I remember hearing about a lineman coming in during the 70's and kicking a PAT. The name is escaping me as of right now. Sorry brother.

SteelerFanInCA
07-26-2006, 04:48 PM
That has to be pretty funny to watch though. A 300 lb kicker? Don't the Raiders have a lineman for their kicker? :sofunny:

BlackNGold203
07-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Ray Mansfield is who you're thinking of....I cant recall the game....but he did get called upon to kick a PAT

DiggetyDank
07-27-2006, 01:03 PM
This actually happened last season during an Eagles game. Akers gimped up his leg and Mark Simoneau (LB) kicked a PAT.

Or were you just talking about during a Steelers game?

SteelerFanInCA
07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
This actually happened last season during an Eagles game. Akers gimped up his leg and Mark Simoneau (LB) kicked a PAT.

Or were you just talking about during a Steelers game?

That's right. I forgot about that one. :dang:

DrDangler
07-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. I thought it may have been Mansfield.

He died in the Grand Canyon in 1996. See link to story:

http://www.kaibab.org/misc/gc_rm.htm

tony hipchest
07-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. I thought it may have been Mansfield.

He died in the Grand Canyon in 1996. See link to story:

http://www.kaibab.org/misc/gc_rm.htm i never knew thats how he died. what a trip!

"Former Pittsburgh Steeler star Center Ray "The Ranger" Mansfield died in the Grand Canyon on Saturday, November 3, 1996. Ray had been hiking with his son and another companion when problems with an ankle caused him to begin to fall behind them. He told the others to go on ahead and that he would catch up with them later that evening at the campsite. He never showed up. His body was found the following morning sitting with his back against a big rock, cigar in hand, facing a magnificent vista where the sun would have set the previous evening. The initial Park Service report lists the cause of death as natural causes."