PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter to retire as a Steeler

pancake
07-18-2012, 09:49 PM
According to ESPN

One of my favorite players during his time in the Burgh...

EbonySteel86
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
According to ESPN

One of my favorite players during his time in the Burgh...
Indeed! Loved J Peezy!

wera176
07-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Love it!

My favorite Porter moment:

"I got this: they shot me in Denver... Who Ride? We Ride!! Who Ride? We Ride, Lets Ride on 3, 1, 2, 3 LETS RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! "

mesaSteeler
07-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Live from Tahoe: Veteran NFL LB Joey Porter says he’s retiring as a member of the Steelers
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/07/18/live-from-tahoe-veteran-nfl-lb-joey-porter-says-hes-retiring-as-a-member-of-the-steelers/
Ian Rapoport | Tags: Joey Porter, Cardinals, Dolphins, Steelers

Joey Porter kneeling (Associated Press)

Linebacker Joey Porter played for three teams over the course of a 13-year career. Porter knows which organization he wants to end with.

Porter told me today that he plans to retire as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Specifically, Porter said he would be honored to do so.

“That’s where I started at,” Porter told me on the driving range before a practice round of the American Century Celebrity Golf Classic in South Lake Tahoe. “It’ll be an honor to go out there and retire as a Steeler. Started there, end there. Thirteen years. I never thought I’d play that long when I first started.”

The four-time Pro Bowler finishes with 170 starts, 503 tackles and 98 sacks. He is 35 years old and most recently played for the Cardinals. The assumption last year was that this would happen. He also spent three seasons in Miami. Now, Porter says he wants to join the media.

Anyway, allow Porter to explain it all.

“I plan on retiring this year,” Porter said. “I already talked to the Steelers, put some plans together on signing with the Steelers and retiring as a Steeler. It was a good career. I have no regrets about nothing.”

As for what led to the decision, Porter said it was health. He didn’t feel like himself while playing 20 games with the Cardinals.

“Not being able to get 100 percent healthy to play at the level I am accustomed to playing at,” Porter said, telling about the reason. “The last two years, I tried to play and I wasn’t out there as healthy as I’ve been in the past. This year, I knew my knee wasn’t getting any better as far as this season. It made the decision kinda easy, actually.”

Porter has talked with Steelers President Art Rooney II, GM Kevin Colbert, and the coaches.

“They welcomed me back,” he said. “I’ll sign back with them.“

Galax Steeler
07-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Well deserved what a player he was.

GMU Steeler
07-19-2012, 01:28 PM
He was a character. Thanks for the memories, Peezy and choosing to come home.

stb_steeler
07-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Hell.....i bet he could come back and give it another year or two.....;)
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/ravenman4/shutitjoey.gif

Justin Otstott
07-19-2012, 04:37 PM
damn peezy (my favorite lb)...

pancake
07-19-2012, 05:00 PM
No one talked more than Peezy, but he backed it up. I wish him the best in the future.

STEELAMANIA
07-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm glad he got a ring unlike Dermontti Dawson, but at least Dawson gets in the HOF

BURGBETTISFAN
07-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Glad to see him retire with the Steelers.

Fire Arians
07-20-2012, 01:59 PM
he was always a steeler to me. i remember when we played miami and he recovered a fumble against us, and he was like 'you love me!' lol. even though he played for the other team, i couldn't hate on joey, one of my favorite steeler players in my lifetime

mesaSteeler
07-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Former Steeler Joey Porter's loyalty, teamwork memorable
July 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Lake Fong/Post-Gazette
Joey Porter announced Thursday he will retire a Steeler, which brings to mind his kind heart and quality as a teammate.

Joey Porter announced Thursday he will retire a Steeler, which brings to mind his kind heart and quality as a teammate.

Share with others:
inShare
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two immediate thoughts on the news Thursday that Joey Porter is coming back to retire as a Steeler:

One, what's the hurry? Kordell Stewart waited seven years after he played his final NFL game to retire at the Steelers' South Side headquarters.

And two, Porter had some career here. I know for a fact he wasn't the most outrageous character in Steelers history. Ernie Holmes has the edge on him there in my mind. But I'm not sure the franchise has had a player with a kinder heart or who was a better teammate.

Ask Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Late in the 2005 season, Porter came up with a unique way to honor LeBeau, maybe the most revered coach in sports. He and 26 defensive teammates paid $300 each for a retro No. 44 LeBeau jersey from LeBeau's playing days with the Detroit Lions. They hung the jerseys in their lockers before the team played the Lions later that day.

LeBeau cried when he walked into the locker room, saw all those 44s and saw the players standing and cheering. "A major, major event in my life," he called it.

Ask former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis about Porter.

Before Super Bowl XL, Porter cleared it with coach Bill Cowher for Bettis to run on the field ahead of the other Steelers. The game was in Detroit, Bettis' hometown. "I wanted the cameras to shine on Jerome alone," Porter said. Look at the pregame tape. You can see Porter holding everybody back. The players were dying to get out there, but he wouldn't let them go.

Bettis would have cried if it weren't the biggest game of his life.

I don't think I've ever seen a greater tribute in sports.

I'll remember that more than the macho image Porter loved to cultivate, more than the way he would prowl at midfield before each game, helmet off, wearing a black beanie and eye black, his massive tattooed forearms and flat stomach exposed for all on the other team to see. No one worked an opponent harder, looking for a mental edge. "Joey will talk about your mother," Steelers teammate Larry Foote once said. It only worked for Porter because he backed up the big talk with a mean game. Sports Illustrated put him on its cover in 2006 and called him the NFL's "most feared player." He had 60 sacks in eight seasons with the Steelers.

Porter called out Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts and said they were soft before a playoff game after the 2005 season, then had two late sacks against them in the Steelers' 21-18 win. He verbally jumped all over Seattle Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens before Super Bowl XL for disrespecting Bettis. Stevens was annoyed and dropped three passes in the Steelers' 21-10 win.

Bettis was the team's unquestioned leader during that era, but Porter provided the emotional energy. The other players called him "J-Peezy," loved him, followed him, took strength from him. They reveled in his passion, not just during games but after wins when he would lead their "Who ride? We ride!" chant that would nearly bring down the locker room walls.

The only time I ever knew Porter to run from his words was when he joked about the Steelers' visit to the White House in 2006. "Yeah, I've got something to say to Bush," he said. "I don't like the way things are running now." His comments were portrayed accurately -- they were made in a joking fashion -- but he threw a fit when the stories came out. He made matters worse by wearing sunglasses indoors at the White House, disrespecting the office of the president if not President George W. Bush.

That wasn't the only time Porter stepped over the line. Did I mention he could be outrageous? He used a homophobic word to describe Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. He was ejected before a game in Cleveland for fighting with Browns running back William Green, who apparently didn't like Porter's comments about his mom. He went to the Baltimore Ravens bus after a game, looking to fight Ray Lewis after he felt Lewis was mocking his minor injuries from a shooting incident in which he was an innocent bystander.

Porter never was one to allow his kindness toward his coaches and teammates to be misinterpreted as weakness by opponents.

The Steelers released Porter after the 2006 season because they no longer felt he was worth a $5 million salary. Porter got a measure of satisfaction in the '08 season when he had 17 1/2 sacks with the Miami Dolphins. He spent the past two seasons with the Arizona Cardinals.

Porter told NFL.com he will sign a one-day contract with the Steelers and retire after a 13-year career that included four Pro Bowls.

Who ride?

Porter, indeed.

What fun it was being along for the journey.
Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. Ron Cook can be heard on the "Vinnie and Cook" show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.
First Published July 20, 2012 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/porters-loyalty-teamwork-memorable-645468/#ixzz21CPa83TK

GMU Steeler
07-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I think the best memory I have of Joey is when he called out Jerramy Stevens of the Seahawks when Stevens was saying something about Jerome and his hometown. It was relatively minor but Joey really got in the dude's head.

mikegrimey
07-20-2012, 05:58 PM
I always thought porters antics were childish and annoying, but he did have some big years at OLB for us, which is all that counts

steelerchad
07-21-2012, 07:55 AM
I still have the SI with him on the cover with the headline"The most feared man in the NFL". He talked alot, but always backed it up. He was the kind of guy you want on your side in a scrap.
Kind of funny how the guy that took his spot is now "The most feared man in the NFL".

Glad to see him come home to retire.

jjpro11
07-22-2012, 11:45 AM
He was the most hated player in Cleveland before Harrison took that honor. So yeah, he was always a favorite of mine.

Hawaii 5-0
07-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I still have the SI with him on the cover with the headline"The most feared man in the NFL".

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2006/0906_large.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
07-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Former Steeler Joey Porter's loyalty, teamwork memorable

July 20, 2012
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/2012/201/905/porter_420.jpg

Two immediate thoughts on the news Thursday that Joey Porter is coming back to retire as a Steeler:

One, what's the hurry? Kordell Stewart waited seven years after he played his final NFL game to retire at the Steelers' South Side headquarters.

And two, Porter had some career here. I know for a fact he wasn't the most outrageous character in Steelers history. Ernie Holmes has the edge on him there in my mind. But I'm not sure the franchise has had a player with a kinder heart or who was a better teammate.

Ask Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Late in the 2005 season, Porter came up with a unique way to honor LeBeau, maybe the most revered coach in sports. He and 26 defensive teammates paid $300 each for a retro No. 44 LeBeau jersey from LeBeau's playing days with the Detroit Lions. They hung the jerseys in their lockers before the team played the Lions later that day.

LeBeau cried when he walked into the locker room, saw all those 44s and saw the players standing and cheering. "A major, major event in my life," he called it.

Ask former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis about Porter.

Before Super Bowl XL, Porter cleared it with coach Bill Cowher for Bettis to run on the field ahead of the other Steelers. The game was in Detroit, Bettis' hometown. "I wanted the cameras to shine on Jerome alone," Porter said. Look at the pregame tape. You can see Porter holding everybody back. The players were dying to get out there, but he wouldn't let them go.

Bettis would have cried if it weren't the biggest game of his life.

I don't think I've ever seen a greater tribute in sports.

I'll remember that more than the macho image Porter loved to cultivate, more than the way he would prowl at midfield before each game, helmet off, wearing a black beanie and eye black, his massive tattooed forearms and flat stomach exposed for all on the other team to see. No one worked an opponent harder, looking for a mental edge.

"Joey will talk about your mother," Steelers teammate Larry Foote once said. It only worked for Porter because he backed up the big talk with a mean game. Sports Illustrated put him on its cover in 2006 and called him the NFL's "most feared player." He had 60 sacks in eight seasons with the Steelers.

Porter called out Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts and said they were soft before a playoff game after the 2005 season, then had two late sacks against them in the Steelers' 21-18 win. He verbally jumped all over Seattle Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens before Super Bowl XL for disrespecting Bettis. Stevens was annoyed and dropped three passes in the Steelers' 21-10 win.

Bettis was the team's unquestioned leader during that era, but Porter provided the emotional energy. The other players called him "J-Peezy," loved him, followed him, took strength from him. They reveled in his passion, not just during games but after wins when he would lead their "Who ride? We ride!" chant that would nearly bring down the locker room walls.

The only time I ever knew Porter to run from his words was when he joked about the Steelers' visit to the White House in 2006. "Yeah, I've got something to say to Bush," he said. "I don't like the way things are running now." His comments were portrayed accurately -- they were made in a joking fashion -- but he threw a fit when the stories came out. He made matters worse by wearing sunglasses indoors at the White House, disrespecting the office of the president if not President George W. Bush.

That wasn't the only time Porter stepped over the line. Did I mention he could be outrageous? He used a homophobic word to describe Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. He was ejected before a game in Cleveland for fighting with Browns running back William Green, who apparently didn't like Porter's comments about his mom. He went to the Baltimore Ravens bus after a game, looking to fight Ray Lewis after he felt Lewis was mocking his minor injuries from a shooting incident in which he was an innocent bystander.

Porter never was one to allow his kindness toward his coaches and teammates to be misinterpreted as weakness by opponents.

The Steelers released Porter after the 2006 season because they no longer felt he was worth a $5 million salary. Porter got a measure of satisfaction in the '08 season when he had 17 1/2 sacks with the Miami Dolphins. He spent the past two seasons with the Arizona Cardinals.

Porter told NFL.com he will sign a one-day contract with the Steelers and retire after a 13-year career that included four Pro Bowls.

Who ride?

Porter, indeed.

What fun it was being along for the journey.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/porters-loyalty-teamwork-memorable-645468/#ixzz21PvkrUEk

Riddle_Of_Steel
07-24-2012, 02:36 PM
I hated seeing J. Peezy in a non-Steelers uniform everytime. This is some of the best news for me, brings a tear to my eye to know that both Ward and Peezy (two of my favorite Steelers all time) got to retire as Steelers.

Happy trails, Joey.

Lady Steel
07-31-2012, 12:30 AM
They always come back. :tt: Congrats to Peezy. I loved his smack talk.