PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Scott released

Vis
07-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Frees $2.2 million in cap space.

The Steelers released veteran offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, the team announced today.

Scott spent the past two seasons with the Steelers, starting 14 of 28 regular-season games and three of four postseason contests. Prior to joining the Steelers in 2010, Scott spent time with the Buffalo Bills (2008-09) and the Detroit Lions (2006-07). Scott was originally drafted by the Lions in the fifth round (141st overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft out of the University of Texas.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Release-Offensive-Tackle-Jonathan-Scott/442917a8-7bc6-4950-a727-58a1455d21c2

Bayz101
07-19-2012, 03:51 PM
I added the article to your post. Happy to see this! Rollerskates rolling on out of Pitt, and we're closing in on a deal with Wallace.

Vis
07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
And hopefully double D

Buddha Bus
07-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Love it! This gets rid of some dead weight and opens the door for Mikey to be signed. I'm really hoping Jon Scott turns up in Baltimore on that desperate looking o-line. I'd love to watch Harrison and/or Woodley school that waste of space twice this year.

Buddha Bus
07-19-2012, 03:57 PM
And hopefully double D

They were going to sign him anyway being a first-rounder. I think this helps our situation with Wallace more. Let's get it done and get him and DeCastro in the fold ASAP!

austinfrench76
07-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StainlessStill
07-19-2012, 04:14 PM
This whole off-season I've been jizzing in my pants. Bravo front-office! One of the best off-seasons since I can remember.

Steelersfan87
07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow, that was fast. I'm surprised they didn't keep him around for a while in case there was an injury. Although I suppose they could work out a more cap-friendly deal should that issue arise. Obviously in that event, he would not be returning as a projected starter. He could probably be brought back at vet minimum in that case.

LVSteelersfan
07-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Good job Front Office. Kemoatu and J Scott both gone in the same offseason. I always hoped Kemo would get better with time but he seemed to get worse instead. Scott was a waste of roster space. Surely they could find someone out there besides Scott if someone gets hurt.

Buddha Bus
07-19-2012, 04:28 PM
This whole off-season I've been jizzing in my pants. Bravo front-office! One of the best off-seasons since I can remember.

Here ya go, buddy. Get yourself together and cum on back. :sofunny:

http://www.justsaypictures.com/images/jizz-cleaner.jpg

pancake
07-19-2012, 04:37 PM
If we sign Wallace to a cap friendly long term deal, this will be the best offseason that i can recall.

Fire Arians
07-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Oh no, not jonathan rollerskates scott! who do i make fun of now? lol

Buddha Bus
07-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Oh no, not jonathan rollerskates scott! who do i make fun of now? lol

Bayz, of course. :chuckle:

Bayz101
07-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Bayz, of course. :chuckle:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llediot7pF1qe2e60.jpg

Buddha Bus
07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llediot7pF1qe2e60.jpg

Put down the revolver, Bagz. Just messing with you. :sofunny:

We can all make fun of David Johnson or Wally's choice of beer.

Steelersfan87
07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Steelers' talks with Wallace going well as team saves money by cutting T Scott (http://www.examiner.com/article/steelers-talks-with-wallace-going-well-as-team-saves-money-by-cutting-t-scott)

As the beginning of training camps approach around the league, there is one issue left to be resolved within the Steelers organization grabbing the attention of the rest of the league. That is the unresolved contract issues with Pro Bowl fourth year wide receiver Mike Wallace.

ESPN’s John Clayton earlier this week reported that the Steelers remained optimistic that a deal could be reached before training camp, which, for the Steelers, will begin on July 25th. Today, Jason La Canfora for the CBS Sports website reports that Wallace and the organization are in “close contact” and that the two parties “continue to make progress on a new deal”.

La Canfora also notes that “both sides are motivated to complete a long-term contract”, which is certainly in keeping with the chorus that Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert has been repeating throughout the offseason as the team’s top priority. The parties “are expected to maintain a steady pace with the start of training camp looming”.

Although this is the first case in recent years with a key player not under contract still negotiating a deal this late, there are many instances in very recent history of the Steelers negotiating well into the training camp and preseason on new deals. All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu signed a new contract extension last season, in fact, on September 10th, avoiding the uncertainty of entering the season on the last year of his contract.

Buddha Bus
07-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Steelers' talks with Wallace going well as team saves money by cutting T Scott (http://www.examiner.com/article/steelers-talks-with-wallace-going-well-as-team-saves-money-by-cutting-t-scott)

NICE! :thumbsup:

Bayz101
07-19-2012, 05:22 PM

Quick writing!

Bayz101
07-19-2012, 05:35 PM

Feel free to post this in it's own thread, if you'd like. I'm closing the Mike Wallace thread, I think it's ran it's course, as the activity will only rise over the next few weeks.

Justin Otstott
07-19-2012, 06:06 PM
We owe Scott a drink..thanks to him Wallace will get signed now lmao

Bayz101
07-19-2012, 06:14 PM
We owe Scott a drink..thanks to him Wallace will get signed now lmao

Scott can't drink, it "Goes right through him" :sofunny:

Justin Otstott
07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Scott can't drink, it "Goes right through him" :sofunny:

That was just wrong but your right :applaudit:

Bayz101
07-19-2012, 06:47 PM
That was just wrong but your right :applaudit:

He posted a picture of himself on twitter earlier:

http://www.traffic-safety-products.com/images/products/201035135621947w1000h1000uEAGLERD/rubber-traffic-cone.jpg

TheVet
07-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I feel like dancing in the streets! Incredible off-season!

Lets not worry about Jonathan Scott, he'll land on his feet. Original Cream Puffs is hiring. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.originalcreampuffs.com%2Fimag es%2FTEAM%2520CREAM%2520PUFF%2520APPLICATION.pdf&ei=MpwIUO3VFq250QGJycGABA&usg=AFQjCNFziIW7aYNMeqwa-Ob7rzBacbB8rg)

Justin Otstott
07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I feel like dancing in the streets! Incredible off-season!

Lets not worry about Jonathan Scott, he'll wind up OK; Original Cream Puffs is hiring. (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.originalcreampuffs.com%2Fimag es%2FTEAM%2520CREAM%2520PUFF%2520APPLICATION.pdf&ei=MpwIUO3VFq250QGJycGABA&usg=AFQjCNFziIW7aYNMeqwa-Ob7rzBacbB8rg)

I'll forward this to him via twitter, I'm sure he will appreciate it :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
And hopefully double D

The Steelers are signing Don Draper as a free agent?:thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
07-20-2012, 03:15 AM

We can all make fun of David Johnson or Wally's choice of beer.

Leave the Busch Light out of this.http://unitedpackageliquors.com/catalog/images/Busch%20Light%206pk%20Cans%20WEB.jpg

FrancoLambert
07-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Love it! This gets rid of some dead weight and opens the door for Mikey to be signed. I'm really hoping Jon Scott turns up in Baltimore on that desperate looking o-line. I'd love to watch Harrison and/or Woodley school that waste of space twice this year.

After initially rejoicing about the human turnstile's departure, I am hoping for the same. The Rats are trying to patch up an O-line with aging veterans. I'm hopeful that they won't get the same production from their line this season.

STEELAMANIA
07-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Rollerskates was my favorite....................one to make fun of that is...........with him and Kemo gone, I'm in total awe.

STEELAMANIA
07-20-2012, 11:06 AM
I have died and gone to heaven.

tony hipchest
07-20-2012, 03:40 PM

:tt03:

VLnWf1sQkjY

Buddha Bus
07-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Leave the Busch Light out of this.http://unitedpackageliquors.com/catalog/images/Busch%20Light%206pk%20Cans%20WEB.jpg

For the sake of all here who have taste, I certainly will, sir. :nana:

After initially rejoicing about the human turnstile's departure, I am hoping for the same. The Rats are trying to patch up an O-line with aging veterans. I'm hopeful that they won't get the same production from their line this season.

I live near Baltimore (an hour away) and work around the area. I listen to a lot of sports talk radio out of Baltimore and believe me, there is a great deal of hand-wringing going on concerning their o-line. Fans and sports talk hosts are truly concerned about their o-line since Ben Grubbs left. Matt Birk is another year older, Bryant McKinnie is another year fatter, Oher has been regressing, and they have a question mark as to who will fill Grubbs' spot.

They are viewing it as the Ravens' Achilles heel and we could see Flacco feeling some of the pain Roethlisberger's felt the last several years. We'll see now if "Joe Stool" is really as much of a top 5 QB as he thinks he is. I don't see him being able to withstand the kind of beatings and pressure Ben has sustained with the same success. I'd love nothing more than to see them bring J. Scott in to further that downward spiral. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Scott is not as bad as most fans here make him out to be. He is a guy that should be playing RT, but he was making too much to be a backup RT and if this move saves some $$ to sign Mike Wallace its what needed to be done.

I think Chris Scott has a chance to make it as the 4th OT, that is unless Trai Essex is kept as an OT.

jiminpa
07-21-2012, 12:19 PM

We can all make fun of David Johnson or Wally's choice of beer.There's nothing funny about David Johnson still wearing a Steelers uniform. Too bad Arians didn't take Whiff with him. The Colts are excited to have Arians with no defense to make him look competent, they deserve Johnson too. Maybe calling him Whiff is too kind. It implies an attempt at blocking. There were games where Johnson had more tackle assists than Timmons.

Buddha Bus
07-21-2012, 12:35 PM
There's nothing funny about David Johnson still wearing a Steelers uniform. Too bad Arians didn't take Whiff with him. The Colts are excited to have Arians with no defense to make him look competent, they deserve Johnson too. Maybe calling him Whiff is too kind. It implies an attempt at blocking. There were games where Johnson had more tackle assists than Timmons.

I'll reserve total judgement on DJ until after this season. He will be concentrating his efforts solely on the FB position this year and will have no excuses going forward. If he continues to stink up the joint this year, he will be the new favorite goat of Steelers Nation now that Arians, BMac, Gay, Kemo, and J. Scott are history. :chuckle:

Steelersfan87
07-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Scott is not as bad as most fans here make him out to be. He is a guy that should be playing RT, but he was making too much to be a backup RT and if this move saves some $$ to sign Mike Wallace its what needed to be done.

I think Chris Scott has a chance to make it as the 4th OT, that is unless Trai Essex is kept as an OT.

I agree about Jonathan Scott. People really seem to get hung up on certain players or plays that completely colors their perception of a guy. The reason the Steelers gave him the contract they did is because he played well in the 2010 playoff run. Now, he simply makes too much money for what his role would be.

As far as Chris Scott goes, I think Essex has the edge on him, particularly with regard to his position flexibility. I think Scott will have to battle Kelvin Beachum for a practice squad spot.

Edit: Actually, there's a good chance both make the practice squad.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-21-2012, 05:14 PM
I agree about Jonathan Scott. People really seem to get hung up on certain players or plays that completely colors their perception of a guy. The reason the Steelers gave him the contract they did is because he played well in the 2010 playoff run. Now, he simply makes too much money for what his role would be.

As far as Chris Scott goes, I think Essex has the edge on him, particularly with regard to his position flexibility. I think Scott will have to battle Kelvin Beachum for a practice squad spot.

I agree. Essex should have the edge, but I would love to see us move towards youth more with Scott than Essex. I love seeing young guys get a shot instead of old utility guys like Essex

ricardisimo
07-21-2012, 05:37 PM
I agree about Jonathan Scott. People really seem to get hung up on certain players or plays that completely colors their perception of a guy.
Known in these parts as "William Gay Syndrome".

Fire Arians
07-21-2012, 06:26 PM

yes he is that bad. as a matter of fact, he was so bad that he had to get thrown on the bench in favor of gilbert after he had injured his shoulder and was probably operating at 70%. So bad we had to risk the health of our young lineman to win us a game. I wouldn't want scott as anything but a practice squad body at most.

yes he had a decent run in the playoffs in the previous year, but the amount he regressed in his starting year was just plain inexcusable

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-21-2012, 09:18 PM
yes he is that bad. as a matter of fact, he was so bad that he had to get thrown on the bench in favor of gilbert after he had injured his shoulder and was probably operating at 70%. So bad we had to risk the health of our young lineman to win us a game. I wouldn't want scott as anything but a practice squad body at most.

yes he had a decent run in the playoffs in the previous year, but the amount he regressed in his starting year was just plain inexcusable

I'm just taking a guess that you may not watch line play that intently during games :noidea:

If you watch Scott's initial steps, pad level, hand placement in the run game you will see that he is probably a better run blocker than Max Starks was. In the pass game, he sometimes gets high and can let the bull rush get under him, but his kick slide initial punch is good enough to get the job done. He doesnt have the big butt to anchor against the bull rush as well as others.

So if you have a good run blocking OT that has some weakensses against elite pass rushers....they often end up at RT. That is where Scott should play, but Max Starks and Trai Essex ate themselves off the roster at the start of last season, so Scott had to play there.

Its like Dodens said, a few plays from a player (Like Scott vs Freeney) get etched in fans minds and they get a hate on, but dont always judge a player correctly from then on out.

Steelersfan87
07-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Also, the instance that he references about an injured Gilbert returning to the game...that occurred because Jonathan Scott also got injured and had to leave the game, if my memory is correct.

FrancoLambert
07-22-2012, 07:25 AM
HOLD ON! Jonathan Scott is not as bad as some of us make him out to be?
We're not watching the O-line intently enough? A few plays (or misplays) stand out and slant our judgment of him? Give me a break, I watch (and re-watch) every Steeler game intently and because I believe the O-line ultimately makes or breaks an offense, I analyze their play even more so. The verdict is in on J. Scott: good riddance!!! Don't re-write history, his resume collected on game tapes speaks loudly and clearly.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Ok Franco, I guess you analyzed all those games and deemed Scott unable to play RT in the NFL, despite his 6 year career and 58 games played. Thanks for the insightful post.

Fire Arians
07-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Ok Franco, I guess you analyzed all those games and deemed Scott unable to play RT in the NFL, despite his 6 year career and 58 games played. Thanks for the insightful post.

obviously the steelers FO agrees because he got shown the door :thumbsup:

i don't think you're going to change many opinions of j. scott here, good riddance to the bum

FrancoLambert
07-23-2012, 08:32 AM

El Gonzo,
Apparently the powers that be (and count) agree with my analysis. Let me ask you this, was he ever an asset? Playing 6 years and 58 games as a journeyman at best indicates nothing of value. Keeping him would only guarantee more of the same, mediocre line play. Thanks for your cogent analysis but something tells me that more Steeler fans would line up on my side.

Steelersfan87
07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Jonathan Scott was cut not because he's completely impotent at what he does. He was cut because he was making too much money for what his role in 2012 would have been. He was a TREMENDOUS asset in 2010. The Steelers probably would not have made it to the Super Bowl if he didn't play as well as he did in the playoffs that year. Appeals to authority/majority opinion don't change that.

TheVet
07-24-2012, 03:59 AM
Here's my theory: Arians was the only OC in the league who could use Jonathan Scott effectively. But nobody knew it, because Arians' plays were too deep for us to understand. Once Arians left, we had no choice but to cut him. So we've lost our brain trust and our most effective lineman.

:drink:

And none of us yinzers are smart enough to know, so we're dumb and happy!

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

ricardisimo
07-24-2012, 05:27 AM
I still say Jonathan Scott was brought in to help make Kugler's transition as smooth as possible. No more, no less. Three seasons into Kugler's tenure, he's no longer a necessity.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-26-2012, 07:47 PM
El Gonzo,
Let me ask you this, was he ever an asset? Playing 6 years and 58 games as a journeyman at best indicates nothing of value. Keeping him would only guarantee more of the same, mediocre line play. Thanks for your cogent analysis but something tells me that more Steeler fans would line up on my side.

Yes, Scott was an asset to the Steelers because they never drafted suitable backups in the past 5-7 years. When injuries to Starks, Colon and others happened in 2010, Scott filled admirably.

Also, Scott was a similar asset to Kugler back with the Bills when similar injuries and lack of drafting left him thin with talent.

I've never said Scott was a pro bowler. He is a 5th round pick that can be a starting RT in the NFL and a good utility OT if needed. Most here think he is worse than Sean Mahan was, which is not true. Most of those same thought that Colon was useless which again is not true.

Jonathan Scott is a better O lineman than Darnell Stapleton was, but to the mass of fans that dont watch O line play carefully, they think Stapleton was a god and Scott could not play Highschool football.

I still say Jonathan Scott was brought in to help make Kugler's transition as smooth as possible. No more, no less. Three seasons into Kugler's tenure, he's no longer a necessity.

Scott played well for Kugler in Buffalo, so when he arrived in Pittsburgh and the O line talent was thin, he got them to sign Scott. I dont think it was so much of a need for transition, but a need because the Steelers backup OT talent was Tony Hills, Chris Scott and Trai Essex.

tony hipchest
07-27-2012, 01:00 AM
detroit wasted no time in signing him.

Hawaii 5-0
07-27-2012, 01:19 AM
detroit wasted no time in signing him.

true, but the Lions have him penciled in as the No. 4 tackle behind last year’s starters Jeff Backus and Gosder Cherilus and this year’s first-round draft pick Riley Reiff.

and that's what J Scott should be, the #4 OT...