PDA

View Full Version : Steelers switch soft drink teams from Coke to Pepsi

mesaSteeler
07-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Steelers switch soft drink teams from Coke to Pepsi
July 23, 2012 12:25 pm

By Teresa F. Lindeman / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

No matter how well Pittsburgh's professional sports teams play, Pepsi now dominates the North Shore.

The Pittsburgh Steelers this morning announced a new multi-year partnership with PepsiCo Inc., effectively shutting off the tap on the Coca-Cola products that have been associated with the football team for more than four decades.

Meanwhile, the city's growing collection of Pirates fans were already drinking Pepsi products at the ballpark.

"It was a tough decision," said Tony Quatrini, director of marketing for the Steelers, who remembers the iconic Mean Joe Greene commercial for Coke in the late 1970s and had only good things to say about the team's relationship with the soft drink giant.
PG VIDEO

But as the most recent contract expired, the Steelers opened up talks to both soft drink companies earlier this year.

Pepsi put together a game plan that appealed to team management, including bringing in the company's other brands such as Frito-Lay, Quaker Oats, Gatorade and Tropicana.

Financial details of the agreement weren't released.

The company won't be selling cereal or orange juice at Heinz Field but the marketing team could put the Steelers logo on a box of Cap'n Crunch or do some creative promotions with Naked Juice.

The next time the Steelers win the Super Bowl -- might as well plan for the big opportunities -- any PepsiCo products would have full rights to celebrate the "Super Bowl Champions" because the company also has a partnership with the National Football League.

After the last Steelers win in 2009, commemorative Coke cans couldn't use restricted terms like "Super Bowl."

"The NFL is a key strategic partner of ours," said Pepsi's director of sports marketing, Todd Kaplan, said.

He declined to reveal much detail on what sort of creative promotions the company plans to cook up with the Steelers -- that's all still being worked out -- but PepsiCo's 2011 deal with the NFL called for creating digital fan engagement concepts for younger fans and establishing a joint innovation task force charged with "developing new food and beverage concepts for fans as well as sideline innovations and enhancements to health and safety for athletes."

The Great Hall area inside Heinz Field no longer carries the Coca-Cola name, but it could pick up a new sponsor.

"We're in the course of having conversations with other companies," Mr. Quatrini said.

The switch to Pepsi products has already been made. People who attended the Kenny Chesney concert at Heinz Field a few weeks ago got Sierra Mist and not Sprite.

Mr. Quatrini said there were no complaints, although "there were some eyebrows raised" because of the team's long-term relationship with Coke.

This fall, plans call for a rollout of special Pepsi Max can commemorating the team's 80th season.

Coca-Cola still dominates the U.S. market for carbonated soft drinks with a 41.9 share in 2011, according to industry publication Beverage Digest, compared to PepsiCo's 28.5 share.

But Pittsburgh could be a sweet spot for Pepsi.

In 2009, a company marketing official indicated that southwestern Pennsylvania was among its top 20 markets.

Mr. Kaplan couldn't offer more recent data, but he also described the region as a strong market for Pepsi.

Even as he celebrated his company's new deal with a team that he described as iconic, Mr. Kaplan began wooing the Pittsburgh fans, promising, "We're excited to really go deep with the Steelers."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/steelers-switch-soft-drink-teams-from-coke-to-pepsi-645842/#ixzz21Ud2gWlG

Merchant
07-23-2012, 08:12 PM
An article about Pepsi. God I hate the offseason. Thank god training camp starts this week.

ricardisimo
07-23-2012, 08:36 PM
I think they're all voting Democrat this year, too. Because, you know, there's such a huge difference between the two parties. :rolleyes:

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
If The Onion had a business section it could reprint the Post-Gazette's article verbatim

ricardisimo
07-23-2012, 09:56 PM
If The Onion had a business section it could reprint the Post-Gazette's article verbatim

:toofunny:

Fire Arians
07-23-2012, 11:08 PM
mean joe, you can have my pepsi

(joe greene totally uppercuts the kid for not giving him a coke instead)

Vis
07-24-2012, 04:15 AM
mean joe, you can have my pepsi

(joe greene totally uppercuts the kid for not giving him a coke instead)

Greene drinks diet mtn dew now.

Galax Steeler
07-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Greene drinks diet mtn dew now.

Me and Greene have something in common.:drink:

Vis
07-24-2012, 07:13 AM
I already posted the Pepsi Max can once in the DeCastro thread. I'll need a native to send me a 6 pack

Steelers>NFL
07-24-2012, 07:16 AM
it is about beer and football.

Not GAY sodas. They are for movies and big obese people...

Vis
07-24-2012, 07:27 AM

Skipping for now my low opinion of people who use the word "gay" as a pejorative, football is a family event and my kids don't drink beer. Please don't be the obnoxious drunk behind me.

steelfury02
07-24-2012, 07:54 AM
wow - not only gays but everyone that is obese as well? i'll assume you don't know anyone outside your little bubble . . .

Bayz101
07-24-2012, 08:03 AM

While I enjoy a good beer, and definitely a good beer and a Steelers game, I think your view on soda is just plain wrong :sofunny:

Bayz101
07-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Also. There's beer guts, but not pepsi-guts :chuckle:

Vis
07-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Also. There's beer guts, but not pepsi-guts :chuckle:

Exactly. I drink diet sodas and dark beer. I can't stand the swill that passes for draft beer and most stadiums. You make your choices.

Since we're off topic, is there a vendor selling good beer at Heinz Field? I'll buy my tickets to be nearer to them.

Steelers>NFL
07-24-2012, 08:57 AM
sorry if I offended anyone. It was not my intention. Meant it as a sarcastic joke.

But I do believe, that sodas are a big problem with obesity and diabetes in this country.

Bayz101
07-24-2012, 09:09 AM
sorry if I offended anyone. It was not my intention. Meant it as a sarcastic joke.

But I do believe, that sodas are a big problem with obesity and diabetes in this country.

I do agree with that, and I was just poking fun myself :chuckle:

steelfury02
07-24-2012, 11:16 AM
like anything else, moderation

I just have to make sure to take a shot of Tuaca before heading into the stadium - my fam's tradition when going into Heinz - I've bought 1 watered down beer ever in all my trips there and generally would just continue to enjoy a few drinks a couple hrs before kickoff :) I usually get some Primanti's before it starts too then I'm all about the game and don't want to have to go back to the bathroom if I don't have to

ricardisimo
07-24-2012, 03:24 PM

ipmCDzNRIDE

OX1947
07-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Coke taste better with food. Pepsi taste good by itself.

Vis
07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Coke taste better with food. Pepsi taste good by itself.

Which one cleans out of your jersey easier after the obese guy behind you dribbles on it?

Steelers>NFL
07-25-2012, 07:04 AM
You can use both to clean and burn off the acid off the car battery connectors.

OX1947
07-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Which one cleans out of your jersey easier after the obese guy behind you dribbles on it?

I don't know about all that, but I can tell you I have been drinking soda all of my life and I am not obese. I am in pretty good shape actually. Obesity has just as much to do with the inactivity of kids in this country the last decade then soda or fast food. The proof is, when I was growing up, I use to eat fast food and drink soda but I ran around all day. Now, kids can't run around like they use to because you have Sandusky mother (bleep) out there to worry about and video games that are as addicting as crack, heroine and women that keep them inside all day. AND, the fact half the people that have families have no business having families.

Justin Otstott
07-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Team Pepsi for the win!!! :tt04:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-29-2012, 12:31 AM

I agree, but its not just soda. Iced Tea, Gatorade, Juices are mostly sugar based and add to the high fructose intake of many people.

That being said, I'll put either Coke or Pepsi in my rum if needed.

tony hipchest
07-29-2012, 04:38 PM
whats next? tomlin switching to the 4-3???

MasterOfPuppets
07-29-2012, 04:44 PM
i don't usually drink coke, but when i do, i mix it with jack....stay drunk my friends...:alcoholic

zsheik22
07-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Pittsburgh board calling pop, soda?

This is terrible news. Coke > Pepsi, by far.

Lady Steel
07-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Team Pepsi for the win!!! :tt04:

:iagree: