PDA

View Full Version : Why Wallace is an idiot*

Kingmagyar
07-29-2012, 03:25 AM
*if it is true that he turned down 5 years 50 million.

If Wallace did in fact turn down 50 million dollars over 5 years from the Steelers and plays this year for 2.7 or shows up by week 11 and plays for around 1 million he has just lost up to 9 million dollars meaning his deal next year as an UFA would have to somehow make up for that loss.

So assume the worst and he shows up week 11 and gets only 1 million in pay, he would have to make 49 million in the first 4 years of his new deal to equal what he would have gotten from the Steelers in that same 5 year span. That's a average of 12.25 million a year for a receiver that has played in only six games, probably not starting because he wouldn't know the offense and had a bad second half to his 2011 season.

And that is to break even with what the Steelers offered. Would you leave Pittsburgh to break even? Assuming he wants the same 55 million that Vincent Jackson got over 5 years. That 11 million average is still 5 million less over the next 5 years then he would have earned by signing with the Steelers.

So bottom line is he is choosing between

5 years 50 million to stay a Steeler.

or (assuming he gets no more then Vincent Jackson)

the next 6 years 56 million (counting the 1 mil he earned w the Steelers)

His 6th year from the new deal if he stayed here he would be a UFA or Franchise player meaning another signing bonus somewhere or a Franchise tag in the year 2017. Way more then that extra 6 million he earned by leaving. This is all assuming no one would pay him more then Vincent Jackson's deal.

Steelersfan87
07-29-2012, 03:40 AM
John Clayton claimed that he turned down a $9 million per season offer. Nobody ever names their sources when it comes to these things though, so it's impossible to know what's true.

Bayz101
07-29-2012, 03:46 AM
John Clayton claimed that he turned down a $9 million per season offer. Nobody ever names their sources when it comes to these things though, so it's impossible to know what's true.

I agree, but if he indeed turn down 45 million over five years, WOW.

Galax Steeler
07-29-2012, 06:41 AM

Yea I have to agree for a receiver like him you could not ask for much more then that.:noidea:

steelerchad
07-29-2012, 08:01 AM

You'd have to assume that the deal offered has been in that range judging from the deal Brown just got.
Long term, Brown will be the more complete receiver and I think the Steelers know that. But for his resume and potential demand for him next year, I think they paid a lot for him.

4xSBChamps
07-29-2012, 08:04 AM
I said this 6+ weeks ago

F'-him, and the horse he's gonna ride outta town on

steelerchad
07-29-2012, 08:06 AM
If Mike Wallace leaves I think he will learn to regret that decision. Our O-Line may very well be on it's way to being fixed and with that Ben and Mike would have more time to hook up for the deep ball for years to come.
If he leaves, odds are he'll end up with a bad team or bad QB and disappear into oblivion. His best chance to get paid well, become a star, and win a SB (which he hasn't had the pleasure of yet) would be to stay right here.

LlamaTorYoUp
07-29-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't think he's an idiot, but I don't think that this is going to play out as well for him as he thinks.

According to Bouchette yesterday on The Fan, he's been advised by virtually everyone in the know...including his agent...that this is not the way to go about your business. Ed mentioned that the Steeler's hardline stance was probably born in the second half of last year, when Mike's attitude changed dramatically (from hard-working, team-first to pouting and me-first). I think the Steelers took note, and weren't about to cave to a potential future sideline problem. Tomlin's quotes from this presser about 'this being bigger than himself or Mike' made quite a statement. I also take the AB signing as a strong indication that the the 2 sides are not close on terms.

SteelCurtain0815
07-29-2012, 11:39 AM
He is not an idiot and I for one think they should pay the man. He is a big part of the reason why Antonio Brown is so productive. Don't get me wrong, Brown is a great WR, but Wallace draws so much attention from defenses that it frees up Brown. He's arguably the fastest man in football. I realize his production slipped in the second half of the season, but you noticed Brown's production picked up greatly. That's because teams game planned to stop Wallace and forgot about Brown. So even when Wallace wasn't catching the ball or getting open, he was still producing. If Wallace doesn't get signed then look for Brown's production to drop.

zcoop
07-29-2012, 11:59 AM
He is not an idiot and I for one think they should pay the man. He is a big part of the reason why Antonio Brown is so productive. Don't get me wrong, Brown is a great WR, but Wallace draws so much attention from defenses that it frees up Brown. He's arguably the fastest man in football. I realize his production slipped in the second half of the season, but you noticed Brown's production picked up greatly. That's because teams game planned to stop Wallace and forgot about Brown. So even when Wallace wasn't catching the ball or getting open, he was still producing. If Wallace doesn't get signed then look for Brown's production to drop.

Agreed but if the team has no use for him, let him go. Both parties would then have opportunity for a clean break.

Ricco Suavez
07-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Sometimes players overvalue themselves. I at first thought Wallace's statements wanting Fitz type money was smoke, but I believe he thinks he can get it or at least get close. If so than he has grossly overestimated his value to the Steelers. A contract like the ones I have read would be in line for what he is worth. I usually take no sides on negotiations since Players/agents are greedy and Owners/lawyers are just as greedy and underhanded. But i feel the FO has made a genuine effort to sign him and the reports of his attitude from the holdout to last years "no show" in the second half have me saying lets get what we can and move on.

Steelersfan87
07-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Sometimes players overvalue themselves. I at first thought Wallace's statements wanting Fitz type money was smoke, but I believe he thinks he can get it or at least get close. If so than he has grossly overestimated his value to the Steelers. A contract like the ones I have read would be in line for what he is worth. I usually take no sides on negotiations since Players/agents are greedy and Owners/lawyers are just as greedy and underhanded. But i feel the FO has made a genuine effort to sign him and the reports of his attitude from the holdout to last years "no show" in the second half have me saying lets get what we can and move on.

Well, several sources have claimed in the last couple days that his demands are more in line with Vincent Jackson's $55.55 million over 5 years contract rather than Fitzgerald (a claim by a SF beat writer that was never substantiated). Also, even if the report that he turned down a $9 million a year contract is true, that might not necessarily be as bad as it sounds. Maybe he WOULD be fine with a $45 million contract, if it was structured to his liking. For example, how much guaranteed money it includes, how big the signing bonus is, etc.

ETL
07-29-2012, 03:09 PM

If they structured it the way they did Antonio Brown's "$8 mil per year" contract, I wouldn't mind the Steelers offering Wallace such a contract.

lloydwoodson
07-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Maybe the funniest part of this is the recent history of the Steelers in dealing with star players and especially star receivers. It's like Wallace is completely unaware of the names Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and even ARE. The Steelers do not overpay receivers.

pancake
07-29-2012, 06:08 PM

I agree with you %100...

On his contract, maybe he was ok with the total with the contract, but not how it was structured, maybe he wanted a bigger bonus? Or maybe he wasn't offered 50 mil and it's just a bunch of BS... Who knows? What I do know, is we are a better team with him, than without, so I hope both sides find a deal that makes both happy...

Blitzburghfan
07-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I love what Wallace brings to the table, but having said that, if they aren't going to sign him to a multi year contract...I say lets try and get something in return for him. I could handle Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery for a year or two.....we don't need another Santonio in the locker room.

TheVet
07-29-2012, 07:55 PM
OK everyone, there's been a convincingly good job in this thread arguing "That Wallace is an idiot*" - but the title of the thread is "Why Wallace is an idiot*".

So, let's get to the why. What could he possibly be thinking????

My theory is very simple: delusions of grandeur. Plain, old-fashioned ego.

What do you guys think?

steelfury02
07-29-2012, 09:35 PM
IMHO, we only have to look to Hines Ward to understand that he didn't need a deep, speedy threat opposite him at all times to make a great career out of it - even in his prime he wasn't fast, he wasn't the biggest, he was just a plain-old hard working football player - and from what I can tell so far, AB has the chance to carve out a similar career if he continues to make the right choices in terms of his career with the Steelers . . .

i'm tellin ya - Wallace is looking at the ludicrous Miles Austin contract in terms of overall deal.

If we can win a SB with Cedric Wilson, and another with Nate Washington, I'm sure we'll be fine with whoever fills out the rest of the WR corp.

Wallace will make up his mind one way or another and frankly, the Steelers will just keep pushin on

Bayz101
07-29-2012, 09:54 PM
IMHO, we only have to look to Hines Ward to understand that he didn't need a deep, speedy threat opposite him at all times to make a great career out of it - even in his prime he wasn't fast, he wasn't the biggest, he was just a plain-old hard working football player - and from what I can tell so far, AB has the chance to carve out a similar career if he continues to make the right choices in terms of his career with the Steelers . . .

i'm tellin ya - Wallace is looking at the ludicrous Miles Austin contract in terms of overall deal.

If we can win a SB with Cedric Wilson, and another with Nate Washington, I'm sure we'll be fine with whoever fills out the rest of the WR corp.

Wallace will make up his mind one way or another and frankly, the Steelers will just keep pushin on

Well first off: No matter how dumb Wallace is acting right now, no way is he worth less than Antonio Brown in a contract. Not only did he outperform Brown last year, he's outperformed him every year of his career.

Secondly, Nate Washington was a deep threat. In fact, he put up numbers similar to that of Wallace in his time with us. So, in essence, we won with a deep threat, although it was Santonio who helped win the majority of our playoff games and SuperBowl 43. Guess who Antonio Brown reminds me of, in terms of players? Santionio. I think he's a little faster, though. They're certainly built alike.

steelfury02
07-29-2012, 10:16 PM
im not sure I agree with him actually outperforming him - I think that up until this point, they have been utilized differently - I'll reserve my total AB devotion until he devotes less time on special teams and more as a WR but as of now, from an outsider's perspective - its hard not to believe that AB might end up being more impressive for the long haul

I see what you are saying with Washington - he was actually a very underrated deep threat IMHO

pittpete
07-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Plain, old-fashioned ego.

yupp

tony hipchest
07-30-2012, 12:46 AM
its worthy to note that discussions of why bruce arians is an idiot will always be much more fruitful.

TheVet
07-30-2012, 12:54 AM
its worthy to note that discussions of why bruce arians is an idiot will always be much more fruitful.
Yes, the only problem making that argument is the danger of tripping over all that low-hanging fruit. Our long nightmare is over!

:tt04: :tt:

teegre
08-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Question:
"Am I whipping a dead horse yet???"

:tt02:

pancake
08-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Question:

I just heard the reason Wallace is coming back, is because he was tired of Teegre constantly posting about him on SF...

:wink02:

teegre
08-22-2012, 03:40 PM
I just heard the reason Wallace is coming back, is because he was tired of Teegre constantly posting about him on SF...

:wink02:

I that's the case (Wallace reads my posts): Mike, report on Saturday.

Steelersfan87
08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Question:

Yes.

Hawaii 5-0
08-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Mike Wallace will report to Steelers this weekend

AUGUST 21, 2012
by ZACK KELBERMAN

The Steelers are about to get their main offensive weapon back in the fold.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mike Wallace is expected to report to the Steelers and sign his one-year, $2.742 million contract after the team returns home from Saturday night’s exhibition contest in Buffalo.

Wallace will be eligible to play in Pittsburgh’s final preseason game on August 30, but it “remains unknown” whether he will actually do so.

The Pro Bowl receiver has stayed away from training camp in protest for a new contract, which has no chance of materializing following fellow wideout Antonio Brown’s recent $42.5 million extension. Wallace will have to wait until 2013 to re-spark negotiations, which quickly went stagnant.

Upon his return, Wallace will have two weeks to shake the rust off and get ready for the season opener in Denver. Facing Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey right off the bat may be a daunting challenge. It will be interesting to see how new coordinator Todd Haley works Wallace into his offense, at least initially.

In any case, Ben Roethlisberger’s stock booms with this news.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/mike_wallace_will_report_to_steelers_this_weekend/11512504