PDA

View Full Version : SIGN Wallace, DRAFT defense, WIN multiple SuperBowls

teegre
07-29-2012, 12:25 PM
I was thinking about the following:  

If the Steelers re-sign Wallace, they'd have a top three offense in the league (if not the best)... for the next FIVE years.  I know Steelers fans are accustomed to low-scoring, defensive battles, but maybe the Steelers will OUTSCORE opponents.  [NOTE: I have a plan for the defense; hear me out.]  

Re-signing BOTH Wallace & Brown eats up a lot of cap space.  BUT, the Steelers would not have to draft a WR for the next five years; they'd be set.  

Also, with the WR duo locked up, along with BB, Heath, and a very young (The Colon is the "oldest" at 27) & talented O-line, they'd have NINE of their ten offensive starters locked up for the next five years.  [The eleventh "starter" switches, depending on packages: TE, FB, or third WR.]  The RB situation is currently the only "question mark"... although, with this O-line, ANY back should prosper.  

Wallace, Brown, Heath.  
BB.  
Adams, The Colon, Pouncey, DD, Gilbert.  

There would be NO need to draft a WR, QB, TE, or O-lineman for the next five years (or, at least, not before R5).  

WHAT ABOUT THE DEFENSE!?!  
At DE, the Steelers have two young studs (Hood & Heyward).  At LB, they have Timmons & Woodley.  At CB, they have Allen, Lewis, & Brown (two of whom will start).  

That is six, young starters.  

I don't know yet about Ta'amu, but I have high hopes.  The same goes for Spence & Sly (one of whom I think will play ILB).  And, I think Mundy will develop into a Darren Perry type of player.  

That leaves only two positions to "fill": SS & OLB.  

But, let's assume that the aforementioned "unprovens" at NT, ILB, & FS need to be addressed through the draft.  That means that the Steelers can focus solely on these positions for the next five years:  
SS, OLB...  maybe NT, ILB, FS... &  possibly RB.  

They could draft one of each of those six positions, every single year (for the next five years) until they "hit" on one at each position.  Let's assume that "only" the first two round picks become starters... even then, in three years, EVERY position on the team "should" have a young, talented starter.  For example...

2013:  
R1:  OLB ...  R2:  SS  

2013:  
R1:  RB ...  R2:  FS  

2013:  
R1:  ILB ...  R2:  NT  

And, like I stated, I am high on Ta'amu and Spence/Sly (and think that Mundy is serviceable).  So, really, after the 2013 draft, the Steelers "should" have a young, talented player at every position.  The subsequent years' drafts would focus on defense, defense, defense.  

Why?  

Well, the offense is locked up for five years.  

On defense, the Steelers would stockpile players (from years & years of focusing on defense).  That way, when a defensive player becomes a FA, the Steelers could simply replace him with a "starter in waiting."  And, if they somehow didn't hit on a starter, well, the Steelers could use their R1 pick (that year) on that defensive position.  

In other words, with 70% of the cap being taken up by offensive players, the defense would consist largely of a rotation of young & inexpensive, early round talent (with a few All-Pros signed to long-term deals).  

So... sign Wallace!!!  

Vis
07-29-2012, 12:41 PM
I heard you out.

how do we afford Pouncey when he's due? None of the starters on the OL are locked up for 5 years.

Also, there's a reason rookies never start on defense. It takes a while to learn. Rotating in inexperienced guys will keep us middle of the pack.

tony hipchest
07-29-2012, 12:53 PM
if we sign wallace we likely cant afford heath (or anything other than a "run by committe" made up of 6th round -FA running backs)

teegre
07-29-2012, 12:57 PM
I heard you out.

how do we afford Pouncey when he's due? None of the starters on the OL are locked up for 5 years.

Also, there's a reason rookies never start on defense. It takes a while to learn. Rotating in inexperienced guys will keep us middle of the pack.

Good points.  

OFFENSE
The 70% of the cap used on the offense includes money set aside for Pouncey.  [I should have been more clear: most of the cap money is to be used on offense: current & future contracts.]  

Likewise, technically, DD, Adams, and Gilbert are signed for "only" four years...  close enough (for my point).  

DEFENSE  
The only instance where a rookie would start on defense, would be in the event that the Steelers didn't have a "starter in waiting."  But, I aver that after focusing on defense in the draft (for many years), the Steelers "should" have starters & back-ups (players waiting to start) to avoid that dilemma.  

Vis
07-29-2012, 12:59 PM
How is Clemons doing?

Vis
07-29-2012, 01:00 PM

DEFENSE  
The only instance where a rookie would start on defense, would be in the event that the Steelers didn't have a "starter in waiting."  But, I aver that after focusing on defense in the draft (for many years), the Steelers "should" have starters & back-ups (players waiting to start) to avoid that dilemma.  

Hood needs to be extended next year too.

teegre
07-29-2012, 01:01 PM
if we sign wallace we likely cant afford heath (or anything other than a "run by committe" made up of 6th round -FA running backs)

Heath: part of that 70% allotted for offense.

RB: I have it listed as on of the six positions to draft early (2014).

Kingmagyar
07-29-2012, 01:02 PM
If we survive until the new TV money kicks in 2014, we can probably afford anyone. That cap is going up. Way up. But of course salaries will skyrocket as well. Antonio Brown's deal for 7 mil a year may seem like a bargain basement deal.

The problem with Wallace is if he turned down 10 mil per he must really believe he is going to get well over 12 million per and even the Steelers won't pay that for a guy who can be taken out of a game. I'm surprised they went to 10 mil per as reported.

Kingmagyar
07-29-2012, 01:05 PM
How is Clemons doing?

Well so far I hear he is dropping balls every day which was a knock on him in college. I think more and more he is going to be a practice squad guy with either the Steelers signing a vet late (Plaxico) or Marquis Maze, Derrick Williams, or Teiler Beiler making the team instead. But we will see how Clemons does in pre-season. All it takes is a few spectacular catches to make the team.

TheDude
07-29-2012, 01:06 PM
very well thought out post teegre,

Lots of youth ready to emerge on both sides of the ball. Lots of already-established-guys on both sides of the ball. Hell, many of them are young too!!

But I gotta go w/ Vis on this one...

Ziggy, Heyward, Lewis, Allen, Sanders, Pouncey, and Redman. All come due at some point in a year or two. All have established themselves in this league.

I think Colbert, Khan & Co already have dollars earmarked for Pouncey. You gotta figure they have dollars earmarked for either Ziggy or Heyward's 2nd contract. But if they both pan out, who knows we could resign em both! Steelers like to keep their own as we all know.

Then you look at guys like Lewis or Redman. Both guys are getting their first opportunity to enter camp as favorite to finish atop the depth chart. One or both of them could have big seasons. Now, Im not predicting this will happen, but its not a struggle for me to imagine Redman playing well enough this season that he could establish himself as the primary ball carrier and worthy of a contract extension.

As a result of all the young talent you mentioned in your post, we need to maintain as much financial stability as we can.

So I would not support as massive extension for Wallace...and Im guessing that is exactly what he is seeking.

teegre
07-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Hood needs to be extended next year too.

I have never been a fan of Hood (which means that he'll have a breakout year).  I would assume that he could be re-signed for cheap.  Otherwise... 

Good point: they'd need to add DE to the list of players to draft.  

OX1947
07-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Wallace isn't too bright. It would be better to trade him. I dont even trust him in a contract year. He mailed it in, in the second half last year, who's to say he wouldn't do the same again knowing people out there will pay him 11 mil anyways?

TheDude
07-29-2012, 01:41 PM
trading him simply b/c he's "not too bright" would be...ummm...not too bright

But trading him FOR NOTHING would be OUTRAGEOUS

He is a valuable asset that, whether Wallace likes it or not, is under control of Rooney Inc. until the 2013 Franchise deadline. They will/should treat him as such.

teegre
07-29-2012, 01:42 PM
very well thought out post teegre,

Lots of youth ready to emerge on both sides of the ball. Lots of already-established-guys on both sides of the ball. Hell, many of them are young too!!

But I gotta go w/ Vis on this one...

Ziggy, Heyward, Lewis, Allen, Sanders, Pouncey, and Redman. All come due at some point in a year or two. All have established themselves in this league.

I think Colbert, Khan & Co already have dollars earmarked for Pouncey. You gotta figure they have dollars earmarked for either Ziggy or Heyward's 2nd contract. But if they both pan out, who knows we could resign em both! Steelers like to keep their own as we all know.

Then you look at guys like Lewis or Redman. Both guys are getting their first opportunity to enter camp as favorite to finish atop the depth chart. One or both of them could have big seasons. Now, Im not predicting this will happen, but its not a struggle for me to imagine Redman playing well enough this season that he could establish himself as the primary ball carrier and worthy of a contract extension.

As a result of all the young talent you mentioned in your post, we need to maintain as much financial stability as we can.

So I would not support as massive extension for Wallace...and Im guessing that is exactly what he is seeking.

I hear your concerns.  

Hmmm...  

Allow me to try to counter/convince you.

REDMAN: If he establishes him as a startling caliber RB, that eliminates one more draft-needy position (more picks to use on defensive players).  And, the offense gets 70% of the cap (which would include a RB).  Lastly, he'd be the final cog on offense (which would be a good thing).  I'm all for him becoming the next Thomas Jones.  

LEWIS:  If he has a good year, he'd get a decent contract.  Only having one year as a starter, he won't require much (especially with Allen & Brown behind him).  Speaking of Allen...

HEYWARD & ALLEN: They won't be due for three years.  They are two of those players who will be kept long-term (I see them as All-Pros).  They would be in that 30%.  

HOOD:  I have never been a fan of Hood (which means that he'll have a breakout year).  I would assume that he could be re-signed for cheap.  Otherwise...  they'd need to add DE to the list of players to draft.  

TheDude
07-29-2012, 01:42 PM
But your right OX

he isnt displaying much intelligence right now

But its like the Forrest Gump movie...he's a little slow mentally, but he sure can run!!! :)

TheDude
07-29-2012, 01:45 PM
teegre,

Im with you, defense should be the priority in up coming drafts

But overspending for Wallace would handcuff us financially...Wallace is not the kinda player you take that risk with IMO

teegre
07-29-2012, 01:52 PM
But overspending for Wallace would handcuff us financially...Wallace is not the kinda player you take that risk with IMO

I understand your point: $17 million per season locked into two WRs seems like a lot... except, these two are like the early days of Boldin & Fitzgerald: the BEST, young receiving duo in the NFL.  Pittsburgh wouldn't need another "starting" WR for the next five years.  

And, that fiscal handcuffs is actually the crux of my point: focus most of the money on offense; use the draft picks on defense.  

And... abide, dude... abide.  

[EDIT:  I hope that everyone gets this reference...  and doesn't think that I am actually "telling" him to abide...]

Ricco Suavez
07-29-2012, 02:15 PM
I would like to see how this years draft plays out before we commit most of our future picks on defense. We are a little long in the tooth in certain positions, we also have a good nucleus for our offense also. What we do not know is whether that translates to more production yet on the field. I look forward to the Haley era, but so far we are no better than last year until the team takes the field and produces. Injuries, penalties, and learning woes could play havoc with the teams plans.

It is not too early to be looking for a young QB to groom for Ben, I know hes only 30 but he has taken more hits than QBs 4-5 years older. As far as signing Wallace I believe its up to him now. I for one hope we dont break the bank on one player. I know its the off season and I love the anticipation of the new season, new players, new offense, but lets temper it with some caution. I firmly believe we can be very good this year despite what some talking heads say, but i know a season can turn south with just a little bad luck or misfortune.

Steelersfan87
07-29-2012, 02:32 PM
I understand there will be some key contracts coming up eventually, but there will also be some key contracts departing, like Hampton, Harrison, Foote, and maybe even Taylor, Clark, and Miller. As far as Redman goes, if he proves himself to be a starter this year, I expect his contract demands to be much less than average. He's already 27, and he'll be 28 in November.

ETL
07-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Why do we even care about salaries? It's not my money and the Rooneys are rich anyways. Just pay all the players what they want so we can keep them all and keep them happy.

teegre
07-29-2012, 03:45 PM
I understand there will be some key contracts coming up eventually, but there will also be some key contracts departing, like Hampton, Harrison, Foote, and maybe even Taylor, Clark, and Miller. As far as Redman goes, if he proves himself to be a starter this year, I expect his contract demands to be much less than average. He's already 27, and he'll be 28 in November.

Great point.  
Cut Foote; sign Lewis.  Cut Ike; sign Heyward.  Et cetera.  

teegre
07-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Why do we even care about salaries? It's not my money and the Rooneys are rich anyways. Just pay all the players what they want so we can keep them all and keep them happy.

Salary cap. Alas, teams can't keep everyone.

Black N' Yellow
07-29-2012, 05:35 PM

Salary cap. You should know this after 1,400 posts....

pancake
07-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Speaking of salary cap, it is suppose to take a big jump in a year or two when the new tv contract kicks in...

TheVet
07-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Speaking of salary cap, it is suppose to take a big jump in a year or two when the new tv contract kicks in...

But it will be the same for everyone. The better front offices will still have the edge over the weaker front offices, which is that they'll evaluate talent better, avoid overpaying for individuals, and work effectively to craft the best overall team.

TheVet
07-29-2012, 08:00 PM
teegre - Interesting post. Here's one counter-observation - we're still far from solid at O-line.

Yes, we've done a fine job with revamping and setting up our starters, although left tackle is still a possible weakness if Adams doesn't come through. But our depth still consists of journeymen/castoff level players, mostly NFL periphery type of guys. We need to continue beefing up in that area; a few injuries could easily expose the weaknesses that we've been dealing with for the past five years.

However, let me say that it's encouraging that some of these veteran guys are beginning to get serious about getting into shape. That's a new wrinkle, but the writing is on the wall, and our O-line is starting to become competitive, and NFL-caliber. But we need depth.

Steelersfan87
07-29-2012, 08:06 PM
That's what backups are. If you look around the league, the Steelers likely have enviable depth in comparison to many other teams. All of them have significant starting experience. If you have starters as backups, then you have to pay them starter money.

TheVet
07-29-2012, 08:18 PM
In my opinion: We've been a bottom-20% line for the past five years. Some of the players who have seen significant playing time aren't really NFL-caliber, and don't serve as quality backups. Starting on an exceptionally weak line doesn't really count as significant starting experience.

But I respect your opinion, even though we differ 180 degrees on what we think of the O-line and OC performance over the past five years.

teegre
07-29-2012, 08:34 PM
teegre - Interesting post. Here's one counter-observation - we're still far from solid at O-line.

Yes, we've done a fine job with revamping and setting up our starters, although left tackle is still a possible weakness if Adams doesn't come through. But our depth still consists of journeymen/castoff level players, mostly NFL periphery type of guys. We need to continue beefing up in that area; a few injuries could easily expose the weaknesses that we've been dealing with for the past five years.

However, let me say that it's encouraging that some of these veteran guys are beginning to get serious about getting into shape. That's a new wrinkle, but the writing is on the wall, and our O-line is starting to become competitive, and NFL-caliber. But we need depth.

Legitimate counter-point...
...and now, a counter-counter-point.  

ADAMS:  The only weakness is consistency; skill-wise, the kid is a "top 15 draft" player.  Not a Clady or Ogden, but a Marvel Smith.  [But, your point is taken... although, I am very hopeful.  Kugler WILL keep him consistent: in Kugler I trust.]  

Worst-case: Gilbert & Adams switch sides... because, Gilbert has shown enough skill (when he filled in last season) to be a John Jackson level OT.  

BACK-UPS:  
Any team would be in trouble if their starting O-line went down.  There just isn't enough money to keep ten "starters."  

Speaking of starters, the OTs are good; I feel that The Colon will flourish at his new position; and Pouncey & DD are insane!!!  I haven't been this excited in years.  

Back to the back-ups.  

Legursky is the epitome of a back-up: not quite good enough to start a full season, but not much drop off for a game or two.  And, he can play all three interior positions.  

Foster was the most consistent O-lineman last season.  He could start on at least ten other teams.  

Essex can play any OT or OG spot; Starks is a former starter; and, Beachum is an unknown, as of yet (although, he was a Kugler pick... who is supposed to be smart, and can play all five positions).  

I admit that I'd like to draft a back-up OT... because neither Essex nor Starks are spring chickens.  BUT, not before R5.  [I'd prefer to use the higher picks on S, OLB, ILB.]  

Steelersfan87
07-29-2012, 08:37 PM
I'd like you to do me a favor and name 10 teams with better offensive line depth. I'm honestly curious about how the Steelers' o-line depth compares to others in the league, but my hunch is that it's more than satisfactory.

TheVet
07-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Hi Doddens, I hope it's OK, but I really don't want to go there. I respect your opinion, but we look at the same things and see them completely differently; e.g., for me Arians was the root of our offensive problems, but you see him as a key reason why we've been to two Super Bowls. We won't reach agreement, so let's not do this. Thanks for understanding!

TheVet
07-29-2012, 09:27 PM
teegre -

My concern about left tackle would be if Adams doesn't win a starting role. That would be really disappointing; Adams and Gilbert switching sides might not be the "worst case," if you get my meaning. We'd still be better than last year with Colon and DD, and our other starters are strong enough that we can accommodate a single weakness. But beyond our projected five, I'm not really comfortable relying on anyone else for more than an occasional emergency spot start.

teegre
07-29-2012, 10:09 PM
teegre -

My concern about left tackle would be if Adams doesn't win a starting role. That would be really disappointing; Adams and Gilbert switching sides might not be the "worst case," if you get my meaning. We'd still be better than last year with Colon and DD, and our other starters are strong enough that we can accommodate a single weakness. But beyond our projected five, I'm not really comfortable relying on anyone else for more than an occasional emergency spot start.

Vet,  
Let me see if I follow.  Your concern is "what if" Adams never starts at LT.  (Yes?)  Here is a tiered hierarchy of "bust to starter."  Please, tell me your level of concern.  

1.  Adams never pans out.  

2.  Adams can't play LT.  After a year behind Starks, he switches to RT.  

3.  Max Starks starts in front of Adams for a year.  Then, when ready, Adams starts at LT.  

4.  Max Starks starts in front of Adams for a month.  Then, Adams takes over.  

5.  Adams starts at LT in September.  

My level is around 4... and hoping for 5.  My worst-case is 3, but could see 2.  [Again, what is your predicted level?  And, how can I assuage your concerns?]  

Lastly, while it messes up my gameplan, in the event that it is indeed level 1, let's hope that the Steelers realize before the next draft, and select Barrett Jones at 32.  [Note: I like Jones, but would prefer to "not" have to draft him.]  

TheDude
07-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I understand your point: $17 million per season locked into two WRs seems like a lot... except, these two are like the early days of Boldin & Fitzgerald: the BEST, young receiving duo in the NFL.  Pittsburgh wouldn't need another "starting" WR for the next five years.  

And, that fiscal handcuffs is actually the crux of my point: focus most of the money on offense; use the draft picks on defense.  

And... abide, dude... abide.  

[EDIT:  I hope that everyone gets this reference...  and doesn't think that I am actually "telling" him to abide...]

oh the dude most definitely abides:wink02:

steelfury02
07-29-2012, 10:22 PM
I've always thought up until this point, we haven't had "it" in terms of bodies that can handle a good to great pass rush

guys like Starks and co who are on the back end were great back in Bus's/Willie Parker days - mudders, but - they tend to step all over an injure each other when it comes to pass protection and even most of the running plays

i'm glad we have just been payin attention the past couple drafts - i think with the upgrades we are automatic top 10 quality line

Steelersfan87
07-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Hi Doddens, I hope it's OK, but I really don't want to go there. I respect your opinion, but we look at the same things and see them completely differently; e.g., for me Arians was the root of our offensive problems, but you see him as a key reason why we've been to two Super Bowls. We won't reach agreement, so let's not do this. Thanks for understanding!

That's fine, but I'm still interested in what other people think.

How does everybody feel about the Steelers' offensive line depth this year (presumably Max Starks, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, and Trai Essex, with Kelvin Beachum possibly being in play)? Compared to the rest of the league? I by no means am an expert on league-wide offensive line depth, but I get the impression that the Steelers' could be better than average. Other opinions?

Bayz101
07-29-2012, 11:02 PM
I'd like you to do me a favor and name 10 teams with better offensive line depth. I'm honestly curious about how the Steelers' o-line depth compares to others in the league, but my hunch is that it's more than satisfactory.

I'd have to agree with that.

Bayz101
07-29-2012, 11:06 PM

How does everybody feel about the Steelers' offensive line depth this year (presumably Max Starks, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, and Trai Essex, with Kelvin Beachum possibly being in play)? Compared to the rest of the league? I by no means am an expert on league-wide offensive line depth, but I get the impression that the Steelers' could be better than average. Other opinions?

Before Adams got into trouble, he was ranked among the top three best lineman in the draft, and some boards had him going first among fellow lineman. Considering we picked him, and DeCastro, my expectations are high.

teegre
07-29-2012, 11:40 PM
oh the dude most definitely abides:wink02:

LOL

TheVet
07-30-2012, 12:45 AM
teegre - I'm completely jazzed by this year's draft, especially the ramp-up on the O-line. I've got super-high hopes for the OL based on DD, Adams, getting Colon back and utilized properly, and all of this bounty flowing after Pouncey and Gilbert. A huge weakness suddenly becomes a strength in terms of the starting 5 - it almost seems too good to be true.

I'm assuming that DD will be a starter with no question, based on the draft information. And Adams should be as well, based on the same rationale as Bayz pointed out. That is my hope and my expectation.

But let me just say it flat out - if Adams can't straight out win a starting position at one of the two tackle positions, I'll be disappointed, because I don't think that's really much of a challenge if he's worth the pick - even if Starks were fully healthy at the beginning of the season.

tony hipchest
07-30-2012, 12:58 AM

3 weeks ago, pat kirwan was beating the drum for 5 teams that NEEDED to sign max starks immediately, before the steelers snagged him up again (for next to nothing). he even advocated them giving him sligtly more $$$ than the steelers would offer.

him and tim ryan also applauded the quick signing of jon scott by detroit.

look at our starting line-ups in our past 2 superbowls vs our current 2nd string- is just as good (if not better or the same).

i loosely follow other teams starting 5 and i feel we can easilly be top 10. our back ups should easilly be the most experienced in the league.

i say 1-9or10 in depth there are atleast 25 teams very envious of what we got to work with. shhhhhh.... dont tell nobody though. everyone still thinks its one of our main weakness just like they think our defense is old, slow, and tired.

Bayz101
07-30-2012, 01:15 AM
3 weeks ago, pat kirwan was beating the drum for 5 teams that NEEDED to sign max starks immediately, before the steelers snagged him up again (for next to nothing). he even advocated them giving him sligtly more $$$ than the steelers would offer.

him and tim ryan also applauded the quick signing of jon scott by detroit.

look at our starting line-ups in our past 2 superbowls vs our current 2nd string- is just as good (if not better or the same).

i loosely follow other teams starting 5 and i feel we can easilly be top 10. our back ups should easilly be the most experienced in the league.

i say 1-9or10 in depth there are atleast 25 teams very envious of what we got to work with. shhhhhh.... dont tell nobody though. everyone still thinks its one of our main weakness just like they think our defense is old, slow, and tired.

Yep. Our defense is old, slow and tired, and our offensive line is weak. However, the Ravens offensive line is young, as is there defense. Welcome to the world of the NFL, but hey, i'm not complaining. All the more reason for us to be angry and come from under the radar.

TheVet
07-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Unfortunately, we won't be flying under the radar for very long after we blowout the Broncos and Manning on the road game 1.

Rick5895
07-30-2012, 04:15 AM
Well so far I hear he is dropping balls every day which was a knock on him in college. I think more and more he is going to be a practice squad guy with either the Steelers signing a vet late (Plaxico) or Marquis Maze, Derrick Williams, or Teiler Beiler making the team instead. But we will see how Clemons does in pre-season. All it takes is a few spectacular catches to make the team.

I suspect if Clemons is having issue with drops, yo may be right. I doubt (and hope they don't ) they sign Burress. If Clemons cnat get on the 53 man roster, I believe it mill be Maze.

Bayz101
07-30-2012, 04:20 AM
I suspect if Clemons is having issue with drops, yo may be right. I doubt (and hope they don't ) they sign Burress. If Clemons cnat get on the 53 man roster, I believe it mill be Maze.

Clemons is tall, and has drop issues.

http://www.donnan.com/images/TC09_Limas-Sweed.jpg

teegre
07-30-2012, 09:50 AM
teegre - I'm completely jazzed by this year's draft, especially the ramp-up on the O-line. I've got super-high hopes for the OL based on DD, Adams, getting Colon back and utilized properly, and all of this bounty flowing after Pouncey and Gilbert. A huge weakness suddenly becomes a strength in terms of the starting 5 - it almost seems too good to be true.

I'm assuming that DD will be a starter with no question, based on the draft information. And Adams should be as well, based on the same rationale as Bayz pointed out. That is my hope and my expectation.

But let me just say it flat out - if Adams can't straight out win a starting position at one of the two tackle positions, I'll be disappointed, because I don't think that's really much of a challenge if he's worth the pick - even if Starks were fully healthy at the beginning of the season.

Vet,  
I haven't been this excited about many things in many years.  

First off, I haven't been as excited about a draft pick since BB.  I watch a lot of Stanford football, and DD is the bee's knees (as well as the legs, feet, & ankles).  

Secondly, I haven't been this excited about the O-line since... well... maybe ever.  Better than Dawson-Love-Wilford.  Yes, I think that they have the potential to be "that" good.  [More on them in a minute.]  

Lastly, I can't wait to see BB behind a great O-line.  I have always hoped that I'd see him behind even a "good" line... but, alas, he's only had the abominations of the past few years.  Now... with a potentially great line... I am aflurry with excitement!!!  

Back to the O-line.  

DD.  he is flat-out amazing.  Possibly more  importantly, he makes Pouncey even better.  Since Pouncey would no longer have to help out and/or make up for the lackluster play of the OG next to him, Pouncey can focus on "only" his assignment... which will take him from great to elite.  

The Colon.  I won't go into much detail (it's been covered on this board), but I think that he flourishes as an OG.  

Gilbert has shown to be above average, and has the potential to be good.  And Adams has the potential to be great (assuming that Kugler can keep him focused & motivated... because, Adams has the necessary skills to play LT just as well as Marvel Smith did).  

Now... as far as your concerns with Adams "not beating out Starks", might I add a thought: BB loves Starks, and more importantly, BB trusts Starks.  AND, Starks is very consistent.  

Furthermore, the LT position can take a while to learn.  Only three O-lineman, at any position, have EVER started as rookies for the Steelers in the past 30 years.    

While I can understand your disappointment (if he doesn't start in September), I personally wouldn't be disappointed ("expectation level" is what defines one's disappointment).   I "expect" Starks to start, because BB trusts him (& Starks is more consistent), but then, I "expect" Adams' talent to be too much to ignore, and once he is more consistent, Adams WILL take over (by week seven-ish).  

Hawaii 5-0
08-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Notebook: Wallace, Practice Routine, Rashard

Posted Aug. 22, 2012
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Reports are that wide receiver Mike Wallace will be back with the team following this Saturday’s game against the Buffalo Bills, something his teammates have been hearing as well.

“That is the speculation and I think it’s true,” said receiver Emmanuel Sanders. “I have been hearing he is going to show up soon. We are looking forward to getting him out here. He brings those big plays to the team, speed to the team. We are all excited for the weekend to see what happens.”

Wallace gives the Steelers passing game the element of speed, something that will not only be a benefit for the air attack, but also help the running game.

“With him back, everybody else will respect our passing game,” said running back Jonathan Dwyer. “We have a great group already, and with one more person and the speed he brings to the game, that just adds another dimension to the offense.

“With him back and the group of receivers we have and we also have good tight ends, everyone will have to respect Ben Roethlisberger’s arm, which opens running lanes for us.”

Rookie offensive tackle Mike Adams is getting his first taste of what things will be like when the regular season starts, as this week’s practice schedule is what it’s like during the regular season.

“It’s been cool just to get to settle in and see how a real game week goes and also be down here on the South Side,” said Adams. “The biggest difference is actual game planning and watching film on your opponents.”

With a Saturday game the schedule is a little odd, but on Wednesday the team ran through what a normal in-season Thursday is like, from the walk-thru, to practice and meetings.

“I don’t think it’s a big switch, the schedule is better for them,” said Sanders, who in his third season is used to things now. “You get finished earlier. It’s a lot better. The schedule is not that hard, you just have to look at the board. It’s different, but we are enjoying spending time here, in the locker room and so forth.”

Most of the team’s younger players won’t see as much playing time this week, with the starters seeing their most extensive playing time of the preseason. And for Sanders, that means a lot of reps for him as he continues to start in Mike Wallace’s absence.

“It’s definitely a different vibe around here,” said Sanders. “The first two preseason games were like a warm-up. This third preseason game we are simulating a regular season game. The starters are preparing to play the majority of the game. We are preparing for that.”

Running back Rashard Mendenhall is off the physically unable to perform list, back to football work just seven months after tearing his ACL in the 2011 regular season finale in Cleveland.

“He looked pretty good to me,” said fellow running back Jonathan Dwyer. “We’ll see how he progresses. He’s moving pretty well and we’ll see how he does.

“That was my first time seeing him in pads and actually moving around, and he looked pretty good. He’s going to get better every day and we’re just helping each other out.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Notebook-Wallace-Practice-Routine-Rashard/42dc60aa-870d-4853-93be-7b9e11092398

Fire Arians
08-22-2012, 06:19 PM
i hope mendy is ready by the time the season starts, and near full 100% by midseason. I think he can be very successful in haley's offense

that's if he trusts his knee enough, first year back from an ACL is not easy I understand

pancake
08-22-2012, 09:27 PM
i hope mendy is ready by the time the season starts, and near full 100% by midseason. I think he can be very successful in haley's offense

that's if he trusts his knee enough, first year back from an ACL is not easy I understand

I do too< I drafted Mendy in the last round of my fantasy draft.