PDA

View Full Version : PLAXICO is the WAY TO GO!

Kingmagyar
07-29-2012, 01:12 PM
The longer Wallace holds out the more likely it is they sign someone especially considering Wallace could hold out until week 11. Their not going into the season with only 3 WRs ready for action. With the 4th being Marquis Maze, Toney Clemons, or Teiler Beiler.

Sign Plaxico Burress.

Burress may not have a 1,000 yard season in him but he will make the catches at the right time and he will win games for us no doubt. His production was OK last year in NY but he had Sanchez throwing to him. You have to assume that production goes up with Ben. Burress as a stop gap until we get a new speed WR is an alright move by me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW205D4uAp4

TheDude
07-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Plex in the red zone would be GREAT

Plex in nearly every other situation....makes me nervous to be honest

tanda10506
07-29-2012, 01:45 PM
It's a great idea but will never happen, the FO has signed some new players with previous off the field issues which is something they never do, but they aren't going to take in a convicted felon.

Ricco Suavez
07-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Personally, don't like it, and don't want him. He is in the mold of other WRs I need not mention that are talented but also bring baggage.

zcoop
07-29-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't think Plax would want back in.

Buddha Bus
07-29-2012, 04:20 PM
It's a great idea but will never happen, the FO has signed some new players with previous off the field issues which is something they never do, but they aren't going to take in a convicted felon.

Then why did they show interest in him before he signed with NYJ? He was even scheduled to visit with the Steelers about possibly returning here before NY swooped in and signed before it could happen.

I, for one, am NOT on the re-sign Plaxico bandwagon. He has too much baggage, not enough production at this point in his career, and he dissed us by not even meeting with the Steelers before signing with the Jets.

Plaxico Burress= :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
07-29-2012, 04:27 PM
for every washed up vet that occupies a roster spot, a guy who may be the next colstin,cruz , or brown gets cut.

tanda10506
07-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Then why did they show interest in him before he signed with NYJ? He was even scheduled to visit with the Steelers about possibly returning here before NY swooped in and signed before it could happen.

I, for one, am NOT on the re-sign Plaxico bandwagon. He has too much baggage, not enough production at this point in his career, and he dissed us by not even meeting with the Steelers before signing with the Jets.

Plaxico Burress= :coffee:

I wasn't aware of that, I guess they are getting more leanient. I don't see what "baggage" he brings, he has his prior but that won't cause problems now. I haven't payed much attention to him since he was released, has he had any problems since he's been back? I know the Jets locker room was a mess but I don't recall him being mentioned.

Twentyvalve
07-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Funny -

I am sitting here watching the NFL Network Yearbook show featuring the 2011 Jets. Plexico caught three TD passes in the fourth game of the season to help beat the Chargers.

Serendipity. . .

pancake
07-29-2012, 05:58 PM
There is a reason he is still a free agent, I don't want him...

TheVet
07-29-2012, 06:04 PM
The problem with Plax was that he always turned the routine catches into risky adventures. He might have fit in better with the high-stakes gambling approach that we've been pursuing over the past few years, but now we're looking for a more reliable offensive effort.

And MasterOfPuppets has great wisdom - there's a lot of young talent out there, just looking for a chance.

jiminpa
07-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Funny -

I am sitting here watching the NFL Network Yearbook show featuring the 2011 Jets. Plexico caught three TD passes in the fourth game of the season to help beat the Chargers.

Serendipity. . ....after dropping how many key third down passes--no thanks. He was a liability in his prime, now he would be an old liability.

lotas
07-29-2012, 06:15 PM
I'll never forget his rookie year he makes a huge like 30-40yd catch across the middle, rolls on the ground and pops right up, untouched, and what's he do? SPIKES the god damn ball. :banging:

jiminpa
07-29-2012, 06:21 PM
I'll never forget his rookie year he makes a huge like 30-40yd catch across the middle, rolls on the ground and pops right up, untouched, and what's he do? SPIKES the god damn ball. :banging:Yep, for a touchdown the other way. It was in Jax, and I was there. My wife had to remind me that we already had the game in hand. But the thing is, he didn't learn from it. He did it again the following year, only instead of spiking the ball he spun it on the turf. ...and then he only catches the highlight reel passes--not just no, but.... He is not, and never really was a Steeler.

Blitzburghfan
07-29-2012, 06:37 PM
It wasn't his production that got him ran off the first time, the FO didn't like the influence he had on Big Ben, and given Ben's "problems" I doubt they would bring him back to be an influence on Ben again.......personally I wouldn't mind Heath being in on four and five wide sets ......(that is if we ever run those again, cause who knows what Haley has going on) Heath has the best hands on the team bar none.

P.S. First Post and GO STEELERS :tt:

Kingmagyar
07-29-2012, 07:05 PM
For the record, Plaxico spent the whole day visiting with the team at training camp last year and had lunch with Tomlin, Colbert, and Rooney. They wined and dined him and made him a contract offer. They wanted him, and they will want him again if it looks like Wallace will sit until week 11.

xbroughneck
07-29-2012, 07:39 PM
For the record, Plaxico spent the whole day visiting with the team at training camp last year and had lunch with Tomlin, Colbert, and Rooney. They wined and dined him and made him a contract offer. They wanted him, and they will want him again if it looks like Wallace will sit until week 11.

Good. People act like they think Plexiglass would be bad for a Steelers offense that was horrendously poor in the red zone the past two years.

He almost caught 50 passes as the #2 receiver on a BAD passing team. He's a bigger red zone threat than Mike Wallace because he...

1) has better hands than Wallace
2) draws a double coverage in short yardage because of his size. Wallace, on the other hand, does not draw double coverage in short yardage because he's and average route runner. Means Antonio will get doubled. Or Cotchery. Or Miller.

I'm sure people will have facts to argue those two points.

Plexico might not be an upgrade to Wallace, but I'd sign him in a second if he wanted to be here for less than what Mike Wallace is asking. He brings VALUE.

Atlanta Dan
07-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Only if Limas Sweed turns them down.

I hear Sweed will sign if he can get the same contract deal as Antonio Brown received - no confirmation whether the Steelers are talking a multi-year or one year deal with Sweed - but no denial either - sounds serious to me.

tony hipchest
07-29-2012, 07:42 PM
plex will not accept the role or the $$$ the team would offer and i assume the team wants to waste no time w/ him using them as a bargaining chip.

Blitzburghfan
07-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Limas Sweed wants the same money as Brown???? Haven't heard this one, but I'll take your word for it...the last I heard of Sweed was he struggled in a try out for the Giants.

Atlanta Dan
07-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Limas Sweed wants the same money as Brown???? Haven't heard this one, but I'll take your word for it...the last I heard of Sweed was he struggled in a try out for the Giants.

Welcome to the board:thumbsup:

Almost everyone other than Mike Wallace wants the same money as Antonio Brown - so, yes, you can take my word for it that Sweed wants a $42 million contract (as do I:chuckle:)

Steelersfan87
07-29-2012, 08:08 PM
No Wallace simply means a roster spot for Derrick Williams, Marquiz Maze, or Tyler Beiler.

Rick5895
07-30-2012, 04:49 AM
No Wallace simply means a roster spot for Derrick Williams, Marquiz Maze, or Tyler Beiler.

And that is the way the Steelers should go. We have "3 vets" in brown Sanders and Cotch. With Cotch developing into a leader. If Wallace wants to sit and sulk so be it. Who knows one of these kids could very well be a diamond in the rough. I like Marquis Maze. At any rate this all could work out very well for the Steelers.

Leave Burress where he belongs.....somewhere else

Atlanta Dan
07-30-2012, 07:45 AM
FWIW Peter King thinks someone should pick up Burress

I think one of the mysteries of this NFL summer is the continuing unemployment of Plaxico Burress. The man's good enough to contribute to an NFL winner, and at the right price ($1.5 million a year plus a heavy incentive for eight touchdowns is what I'd offer). I believe strongly he'd win a game for a playoff contender this year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/07/29/mmqb/4.html

Now that training camp has started I can resume my Monday morning ritual of reading King's MMQB column - i posted 4 nuggets from today's column

steelfury02
07-30-2012, 08:12 AM
we have enough talent without Wallace IMHO

Now, if we didn't have Cotch or Sanders quality, then maybe . . .

Buddha Bus
07-30-2012, 02:57 PM
I wasn't aware of that, I guess they are getting more leanient. I don't see what "baggage" he brings, he has his prior but that won't cause problems now. I haven't payed much attention to him since he was released, has he had any problems since he's been back? I know the Jets locker room was a mess but I don't recall him being mentioned.

I believe I recall there was some chirping from him during the Jets locker room meltdown. I know I read/heard something last season that made me glad we didn't pick him back up.

I just think he's a knucklehead and his potential bad outweighs his actual good. I'd rather get Heath back in the mix in the endzone than bring a potential cancer into the locker room.

Riddle_Of_Steel
07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
I wrote Plax off as a "never again" when he mouthed off to the press after we lost the 2004 AFCC to the Patsies. He had the nerve to say something to the effect of:

"We lost because they did not give me the ball more."

He was promptly shown the door by the Rooney's shortly after.

Atlanta Dan
07-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I believe I recall there was some chirping from him during the Jets locker room meltdown. I know I read/heard something last season that made me glad we didn't pick him back up.

Holmes and Burress allegedly did not like the play calling that was preventing them from being All-Pro and complained about it last October

The (New York) Daily News reported Sunday that WRs Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason have individually complained to coach Rex Ryan about OC Brian Schottenheimer's play selection.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/10/jets-deny-wrs-plaxico-burress-santonio-holmes-derrick-mason-upset-by-playcalling/1

FWIW the departure of Burress has not had any apparent impact on Santonio's attitude - this from Peter King's MMQB this morning

"We brought Santonio here to be a receiver, not offensive coordinator."

-- Jets coach Rex Ryan, on wide receiver Santonio Holmes' public skepticism on the chances a two-quarterback system (Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow) will work with the Jets.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/07/29/mmqb/3.html

Buddha Bus
07-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Holmes and Burress allegedly did not like the play calling that was preventing them from being All-Pro and complained about it last October

The (New York) Daily News reported Sunday that WRs Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason have individually complained to coach Rex Ryan about OC Brian Schottenheimer's play selection.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/10/jets-deny-wrs-plaxico-burress-santonio-holmes-derrick-mason-upset-by-playcalling/1

FWIW the departure of Burress has not had any apparent impact on Santonio's attitude - this from Peter King's MMQB this morning

"We brought Santonio here to be a receiver, not offensive coordinator."

-- Jets coach Rex Ryan, on wide receiver Santonio Holmes' public skepticism on the chances a two-quarterback system (Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow) will work with the Jets.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/07/29/mmqb/3.html

Thank you, Dan. I knew I'd heard something to that effect last year. It's nice to know my Alzheimer's isn't full blown yet. :chuckle:

He's just more headache than he's worth, IMHO.

Fire Arians
07-30-2012, 03:24 PM
come on man

FrancoLambert
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Give me a promising rookie over him any day.

Blitzburghfan
07-30-2012, 06:53 PM

who Maize?? ....I watched him a lot while he played at Bama, he's a good little athlete, and he can take over for Brown returning punts/kicks. To be honest at this point, if we get Wallace great if we don't move on, I personally want someone who wants to be a part of the Tradition as well as making a great salary, but thats just me :tt:

Kingmagyar
07-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Ok so Emanual Sanders gets hurt again, (he has every season) or Cotchery who is no spring chicken gets hurt. Then we go into a game with our top 3 receivers being A Brown, and Cotchery and then Toney Clemons a 7th round draft choice! WOW How can we be beat.

Or we could go with Derick Williams who has 9 career catches and can't stick with the Detroit Lions.

Or Marquis Maze! Another rookie who wasn't drafted.

Yeah who needs a 6' 5 physical receiver who has a super bowl winning TD catch and has played in 550 career games plus clutch playoff games. Yeah I mean Maze won't get pushed around out there and Toney Clemons won't drop any more balls like he has his whole career.

It would be the biggest mistake in Steelers history to not add a vet to the roster if it is apparent Wallace is holding out into week 1. And the Steelers aren't stupid. Because even Antonio Brown couldn't get on the field as a rookie until late in that season and he still didn't know much. Clemons or Maze is going to be better?

It would be nice to have one receiver on the team that can actually win a jump ball.

But pre-season will tell the tale. Does Wallace show? Do the young receivers make an impression? If not. PLAXICO is the WAY TO GO!

Ricco Suavez
07-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I would rather resign Hines.

teegre
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Jerry Rice has more career TDs and receptions than any other WR in NFL history. And... I do believe he's available. Who's with me!?!

TheVet
07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
We could bring back Kordell for a year in the slot. But after two years, he's gonna want to play QB.

Lady Steel
07-30-2012, 11:13 PM
I think Plax has burned his bridges with the Steelers.

xbroughneck
07-30-2012, 11:37 PM
we have enough talent without Wallace IMHO

Now, if we didn't have Cotch or Sanders quality, then maybe . . .

GOD...where did this E. SAnders love affair come from????

I get that Cotchery has experience and some, but Sanders is arguably the most brittle receiver in the NFL. Even Coach Mike knows it (stuck him on the PUP with no explanation other than "he has a history of being hurt so we're handling him gently).

Guess we can give Mendy more carries then...oh wait. We have unproven at running back (full season)...we are thin at wide out experience...

But Plax...who caught 45 passes in a run first offense after being out of the league for 2 years...is a bad addition.

Gotcha.

Steelersfan87
07-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Sanders was never on the PUP list. He was given Sunday off because Tomlin didn't want him to practice on the turf.

Rick5895
07-31-2012, 04:18 AM
I don't want to See Burress back here. However, if we run into injury problems and need a veteran receiver then if he's available then he's worth a look. Bringing him in now because of Wallace pouting and not showing up wold nly take much needed reps away from our young receivers such as Clemons, Williams and Maze. I would much rather see if those guys can play rather than bring in a vet with a questionable attitude.

Bayz101
07-31-2012, 04:25 AM

I get that Cotchery has experience and some, but Sanders is arguably the most brittle receiver in the NFL. Even Coach Mike knows it (stuck him on the PUP with no explanation other than "he has a history of being hurt so we're handling him gently).

Guess we can give Mendy more carries then...oh wait. We have unproven at running back (full season)...we are thin at wide out experience...

But Plax...who caught 45 passes in a run first offense after being out of the league for 2 years...is a bad addition.

Gotcha.

No, and just no.

ebsteelers
07-31-2012, 09:49 AM

Gotcha.

dumper is that you?

not a fan of plax,

would rather use maze or williams also

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Hey, isnt Roy Williams still available??:popcorn:

Bayz101
07-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Hey, isnt Roy Williams still available??:popcorn:

So is Terrell Owens!

steelfury02
07-31-2012, 10:29 AM
love affair? Not exactly.

LVSteelersfan
07-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Why don't we go out and get Plax or Terrell Owens. Trade Wallace for Kenny Britt. I am sure there are other locker room cancers out there we can pick up so we have depth at WR. What a crock. The Steelers way is bringing up players from the ground up, not bringing in washed up old veterans. We already have one in Cotchery who is highly unremarkable. But at least he has a good attitude and is not a cancer and really wants to be in Pittsburgh.

ebsteelers
07-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Why don't we go out and get Plax or Terrell Owens. Trade Wallace for Kenny Britt. I am sure there are other locker room cancers out there we can pick up so we have depth at WR. What a crock. The Steelers way is bringing up players from the ground up, not bringing in washed up old veterans. We already have one in Cotchery who is highly unremarkable. But at least he has a good attitude and is not a cancer and really wants to be in Pittsburgh.

i heard were bring back holmes too

starting wide outs

wr 1 terrell owens
wr 2 kenny britt
wr 3 santiono holmes
wr 4 Plax
wr 5 brandon marshall

rotating in randy moss, and chad johnson

5 wides every play with kerry "booze hound" collins at qb

teegre
07-31-2012, 03:00 PM
i heard were bring back holmes too

starting wide outs

wr 1 terrell owens
wr 2 kenny britt
wr 3 santiono holmes
wr 4 Plax
wr 5 brandon marshall

rotating in randy moss, and chad johnson

5 wides every play with kerry "booze hound" collins at qb

As long as Bam Morris is brought in to run behind Nate Newton.

And, what about Rae Carruth??? (Too soon?)

Steelersfan87
07-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Dale Lolley backs to Plaxico hypothesis:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

TheDude
08-04-2012, 12:28 AM
The Dude has ignored discussion of Plex thus far...didnt really take it seriously. In spite of the fact the FO brought him in for talks a yr ago, i just dont believe the FO has serious interest in him.

But, if I may speculate for a moment....IF Wallace's temper tantrum lasted into the reg season...IF Plex was willing to play for the amount we want him to play for ....IF any of our WRs suffered any injuries

IF those things happened...it'd be hard to not pass up the red zone help.

I think :banging:

steelfury02
08-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Wallace not coming back for start of reg season would be very un-Dude

If so, mark it zero. Next frame lol

TheDude
08-04-2012, 10:48 AM
OVER THE LIIIIIIINE

Bayz101
08-04-2012, 10:52 AM
http://globalcitizenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/globalcitizen/over-the-line.jpg

LVSteelersfan
08-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I cannot stand Plexiglass. The guy is an idiot. He should have shined in the Jets offense last year and showed nothing remarkable. He is washed up and his attitude will never wash with Haley at the helm. So what if he caught the winning TD pass in a Super Bowl. How many years ago was that now? He has also shot himself and been in jail since then. The Steelers don't need any more black eyes from the ne'erdowell crowd. Ben with his problems, Hines with his DUI and Harrison with his problems have been enough to last the Steelers for the next twenty years. The Chief must be turning over in his grave. Why don't we go after Michael Vick while we are at it since so many of you want ex-cons on the team.

GoFor7
08-04-2012, 02:45 PM
I cannot stand Plexiglass. The guy is an idiot. He should have shined in the Jets offense last year and showed nothing remarkable. He is washed up and his attitude will never wash with Haley at the helm. So what if he caught the winning TD pass in a Super Bowl. How many years ago was that now? He has also shot himself and been in jail since then. The Steelers don't need any more black eyes from the ne'erdowell crowd. Ben with his problems, Hines with his DUI and Harrison with his problems have been enough to last the Steelers for the next twenty years. The Chief must be turning over in his grave. Why don't we go after Michael Vick while we are at it since so many of you want ex-cons on the team.

Keep in mind who was throwing him in the ball when he was with the Jets.

Steeldude
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
The longer Wallace holds out the more likely it is they sign someone especially considering Wallace could hold out until week 11. Their not going into the season with only 3 WRs ready for action. With the 4th being Marquis Maze, Toney Clemons, or Teiler Beiler.

Sign Plaxico Burress.

Burress may not have a 1,000 yard season in him but he will make the catches at the right time and he will win games for us no doubt. His production was OK last year in NY but he had Sanchez throwing to him. You have to assume that production goes up with Ben. Burress as a stop gap until we get a new speed WR is an alright move by me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW205D4uAp4

Absurd. Why bring in a WR who sucked when he was here?

Steeldude
08-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Ok so Emanual Sanders gets hurt again, (he has every season) or Cotchery who is no spring chicken gets hurt. Then we go into a game with our top 3 receivers being A Brown, and Cotchery and then Toney Clemons a 7th round draft choice! WOW How can we be beat.

Or we could go with Derick Williams who has 9 career catches and can't stick with the Detroit Lions.

Or Marquis Maze! Another rookie who wasn't drafted.

Yeah who needs a 6' 5 physical receiver who has a super bowl winning TD catch and has played in 550 career games plus clutch playoff games. Yeah I mean Maze won't get pushed around out there and Toney Clemons won't drop any more balls like he has his whole career.

It would be the biggest mistake in Steelers history to not add a vet to the roster if it is apparent Wallace is holding out into week 1. And the Steelers aren't stupid. Because even Antonio Brown couldn't get on the field as a rookie until late in that season and he still didn't know much. Clemons or Maze is going to be better?

It would be nice to have one receiver on the team that can actually win a jump ball.

But pre-season will tell the tale. Does Wallace show? Do the young receivers make an impression? If not. PLAXICO is the WAY TO GO!

Burress played like he was 4 feet tall. He was not strong for his size. His hands were average on his best day. His fundamentals were poor and his attitude/work ethic was worse.

Just because Burress is a veteran doesn't mean he is a good role model. Burress is the exact opposite of a good role model. Why could he possibly have to teach anyone that is positive?

Steelersfan87
08-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Plaxico Burress sucked when he was in Pittsburgh? News to me.

Bayz101
08-04-2012, 10:11 PM

Yeah...

You can say what you want about Burress, but he had two 1,000 yard seasons in Pittsburgh. He was a good receiver.

TheDude
08-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Ahhhh, old Plexi-glass .... what memories.

Freakish size. Huge catch radius. More than mobile enough for a big fella. Attracted a ton of attention. Opened things up for others.

I remember it well.

But there's also the diva behavior, showing up for OTAs when he felt like it, alligator arms over in crucial situations.

Plex is a shell of what he once was...BUT

I think he definitely would make us better offensively in the red zone. He might be satisfied with being a situational player for us at this stage in his career. But if nobody else is knocking on his door, that makes The Dude very skeptical.

SH-Rock
08-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Or we could use Heath more, and use him properly. If we do get a decent Oline we could see more great performances from Heath such as the one in the game against NE.

TheDude
08-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Nobody is a bigger fan of 83 than the Dude...but he has his limitations in the red zone. He's never really stood out in the red zone at any point in his career. The OL struggles probably havent helped. And NE's defense just plain stunk last year.

w/ regards to Burress...he'd be a situational football luxury...just still not sure if he's worth the trouble/money.

GoFor7
08-04-2012, 11:37 PM
If they gave Plaxico a one year deal with a cap-friendly hit I could live with it. It would be a very low-risk signing.

Steeldude
08-04-2012, 11:49 PM

Not surprising.

Steelersfan87
08-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Considering you seem to be the only one to believe that he sucked, I will give your condescension a pass. :hatsoff:

Hawaii 5-0
08-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Plaxico is definitely on the Steelers' radar, if Wallace doesn't sign his tender and report to camp before the season starts I would not be surprised at all to see us sign Burress.

OX1947
08-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Steelers will not be getting any more receivers. Under the rules of the CBA, Wallace will have to show up this year to get his unrestricted free agency for March of 2013. Otherwise, it gets delayed another year, and I doubt he misses a game and not get paid to prove a point until week 10. Of course, there is the outside chance Wallace gets a contract extension, but I think this will be the last year for Mr Wallace.

GoFor7
08-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Steelers will not be getting any more receivers. Under the rules of the CBA, Wallace will have to show up this year to get his unrestricted free agency for March of 2013. Otherwise, it gets delayed another year, and I doubt he misses a game and not get paid to prove a point until week 10. Of course, there is the outside chance Wallace gets a contract extension, but I think this will be the last year for Mr Wallace.

All depends on how stupid Wallace is. If he wants to sit out until the last 6 games then the Steelers will need another receiver with experience.

TheDude
08-05-2012, 10:31 AM
After seeing the WR core at camp, I really believe if Wallace stays away....we would NEED a vet wr

Bayz101
08-05-2012, 11:01 AM
After seeing the WR core at camp, I really believe if Wallace stays away....we would NEED a vet wr

Cotchery is a good veteran presence on the team, and Wallace isn't much more of a veteran than either Sanders or Antonio Brown. All young guys.

GoFor7
08-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Cotchery is a good veteran presence on the team, and Wallace isn't much more of a veteran than either Sanders or Antonio Brown. All young guys.

The problem isn't leadership, it's depth. What happens if Wallace doesn't show up and one of Brown, Sanders, or Cotchery gets injured? Going to trust some scrubs from training camp to fill in? Plaxico might not bring leadership, but he brings experience and pedigree.

Steelersfan87
08-05-2012, 01:59 PM
There's definitely a strong possibility that the Steelers bring in a veteran receiver if Wallace is still sitting at home a few weeks from now. It doesn't have to be Burress, although it could be.

GoFor7
08-05-2012, 02:22 PM
There's definitely a strong possibility that the Steelers bring in a veteran receiver if Wallace is still sitting at home a few weeks from now. It doesn't have to be Burress, although it could be.

Who else is out there besides Burress?

And besides TO....

Vis
08-05-2012, 02:26 PM

And besides TO....

There will be soon

Bayz101
08-05-2012, 02:29 PM

And besides TO....

http://www.donnan.com/images/TC09_Limas-Sweed.jpg

tburhans
08-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm sure sweed is waiting by the phone for the steelers to call and give him a 15th chance to prove himself

Steeldude
08-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Considering you seem to be the only one to believe that he sucked, I will give your condescension a pass. :hatsoff:

Same thing I heard back in 97 with Kordell. :thumbsup:

Bayz101
08-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Not from him, you didn't.

fastscirocco
08-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Who? :popcorn:

jiminpa
08-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Considering you seem to be the only one to believe that he sucked, I will give your condescension a pass. :hatsoff:Did you see him play? Maybe sucked is not strong enough of a word. Maddox literally stuck passes in his facemask and he dropped them. He put live footballs on the turf, (celebrating routine catches), for opposing teams to just pick up and take to the endzone. If he wasn't the primary receiver he jogged downfield. Better to bring back Sweed, at least knocks balls down and blocks downfiefd. No to either of them. We're not that desperate.

ricardisimo
08-06-2012, 05:20 AM
With Mike Wallace still down in New Orleans and none of the young wide receivers making a charge for a roster spot so far in training camp, the rumblings have started suggesting the Pittsburgh Steelers should sign Plaxico Burress before someone else does.

Whispers late Saturday night were linking the Oakland Raiders as a possible suitor for Burress, but nothing is imminent at the time of this posting. It really doesn't matter though, because the possibility of Burress wearing the black and gold again are pretty slim.

First off, Burress likely wants way too much money. It was evident last year after his release from prison, and even though training camps are now in full swing right and the Steelers former number one draft pick still doesn't have a home, I just can't see him signing a one year deal for the veteran minimum. Burress is better off training at home while he waits for an injury to happen around the league. That way he stands to get more money and a better guarantee of involvement in the offense wherever he should land.

Although many will disagree, the Steelers have not given up on getting Wallace in camp before the start of the regular season. While none of the young wide receivers have raced ahead in the race for a roster spot, four preseason games present plenty of opportunity for that to happen.

Signing Burress brings aboard a player that offers nothing in the way of special team contributions and a risk that his past previous back problems will resurface. Keep in mind that Burress will turn 35 next week and has noticeably lost more than one step over the years. Sure, he hasn't lost any of his size, but signing him merely to be red zone jump ball target is not a good business decision.

Burress had a chance to return to Pittsburgh last season and chose to chase the money instead. He knew how the Steelers worked even prior to coming in for a visit, and if he indeed used the Steelers as leverage to get a bigger deal with the New York Jets, that will not be easily forgiven by Kevin Colbert and company.

Burress claimed back in March that he was open to returning to Pittsburgh and also claimed that Ben Roethlisberger was his favorite quarterback. When you are unemployed and looking for work, words like that are to be expected. Burress did help out head coach Mike Tomlin this summer at his football camp in Virginia, but nothing really should be read into that either.

The only realistic way Burress is wearing a Steelers uniform come the first Sunday night game in Denver is if Wallace remains away and an injury occurs to either Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders or Jerricho Cotchery prior to then. Basically it would done out of desperation and the Steelers are nowhere close to desperation right now.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/burress-return-to-steelers-only-happens-out-of-desperation/

LVSteelersfan
08-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Nobody is a bigger fan of 83 than the Dude...but he has his limitations in the red zone. He's never really stood out in the red zone at any point in his career. The OL struggles probably havent helped. And NE's defense just plain stunk last year.

w/ regards to Burress...he'd be a situational football luxury...just still not sure if he's worth the trouble/money.

You do realize that Heath was not a red zone threat mainly because of a terrible O-line and Airhead's blatant misuse of his talent. If the Oline gels this year and Heath can get out into patterns instead of staying in and blocking, I am hoping that Haley utilizes him in the red zone area. He has been a great red zone target early in his career and there is no reason that can't be done again.

No to Plexi-glass. Only in desperation and hopefully someone has to release someone younger and with a better attitude than Burress. Veteran presence is overrated. Just look at Randy Moss two years ago and Chad Ochostinko last year.

TheDude
08-06-2012, 10:52 AM
You do realize that Heath was not a red zone threat mainly because of a terrible O-line and Airhead's blatant misuse of his talent. If the Oline gels this year and Heath can get out into patterns instead of staying in and blocking, I am hoping that Haley utilizes him in the red zone area. He has been a great red zone target early in his career and there is no reason that can't be done again.

No to Plexi-glass. Only in desperation and hopefully someone has to release someone younger and with a better attitude than Burress. Veteran presence is overrated. Just look at Randy Moss two years ago and Chad Ochostinko last year.

And you do realize

That an aging, over the hill, shell of his former self Plaxico Burress had 7 redzone TDs.
Heath has never had 7 red zone TDs at any point in his excellent, above-the-line career.

I made my feelings on Heath very clear...but Plaxico's abilities in the red zone can not be denied.
Let me explain something about the Dude... i am also a "No to Plaxico", as long as 17 is dressed and ready to go week 1.

No Wally week 1....I'd bite on the the black Barney Fife

steelfury02
08-06-2012, 10:55 AM
LOL!^^^^^

I even found a pic of him in jail, check out the tats:
http://recoverygraphics.com/albums/userpics/10002/Thug_Barney_Fife.jpg

BengalDestroyer
08-07-2012, 04:35 PM
for every washed up vet that occupies a roster spot, a guy who may be the next colstin,cruz , or brown gets cut.

amen, I'd rather give Clemons or Maze a shot first...

GoFor7
08-07-2012, 04:50 PM
amen, I'd rather give Clemons or Maze a shot first...

From the updates I've seen of training camp, Clemons and Maze aren't exactly going to be the next Cruz...

TheDude
08-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Maze has looked far better than Clemons...way too many drops for Tony

And Maze has the STs abilities that Clemons cant match.

TheVet
08-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Back when Plex was here, we used to call him Dropsico - every simple pass was an adventure. But maddeningly enough, he would sometimes come up with a really acrobatic catch. Of course, his start in the league was kind of unfair, with Kordell tieing him up in knots with those ankle-level bounce passes. That can do a lot of psychological damage. But whatever the reason, he was an unreliable target during his time here. The Steelers don't need that.

Anyway, good luck to Plex - he's a guy who's been unfairly painted as a bad apple.

Steelersfan87
08-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Maze had drops today and Clemons mad a nice TD catch. Things like this fluctuate on a daily basis. Let them be judged on their in-game performances.

TheVet
08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Yes, lets see what those young guys can do. Give them every opportunity, and we'll see whether someone steps up.

GoFor7
08-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Maze has looked far better than Clemons...way too many drops for Tony

And Maze has the STs abilities that Clemons cant match.

But Rainey can be used on both kick/punt returns and will have a place in Haley's offense.

Remember Stefan Logan? Dangerous on special teams, but worthless on offense. If Maze can't show anything on the offense then he's going to get cut.

LVSteelersfan
08-07-2012, 09:07 PM
And you do realize

That an aging, over the hill, shell of his former self Plaxico Burress had 7 redzone TDs.
Heath has never had 7 red zone TDs at any point in his excellent, above-the-line career.

I made my feelings on Heath very clear...but Plaxico's abilities in the red zone can not be denied.
Let me explain something about the Dude... i am also a "No to Plaxico", as long as 17 is dressed and ready to go week 1.

No Wally week 1....I'd bite on the the black Barney Fife

Heath has not had the red zone TD catches because they keep him in blocking. My point is they may not have to do that this year and Haley is not Airhead. Sorry, but there is no way I think Plaxico (who apparently wants too much money any way) is a good fit with this team. He is poison and could not even survive on that cancer of a team the New York Jets. We don't need him. Maybe he can join TO in Seattle. Some loser team may pay him way too much and bring him in to help them remain a loser team. The Steelers have great chemistry in general. Plaxico will not fit in because he is all about himself. Of course that is my opinion and you have yours. We all know what opinions are like.

steelfury02
08-09-2012, 08:52 AM
according to ESPN (laughable I know), Plaxico is willing to take vet minimum and the Steelers just aren't interested at this juncture.

Steelersfan87
08-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Ed Bouchette also said that he is willing to take veteran minimum, although I think at least 2 of the 3 following have to happen before the Steelers consider bringing him in: 1) Wallace never shows up, 2) one of the top 3 in camp gets injured, and 3) the rest of the WR group never shows anything the team can be comfortable with.

GoFor7
08-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't mind Plax at vet minimum for one year so long as he can accept in all likelihood being the 5th receiver and a redzone specialist.

buddhistsagan
08-09-2012, 04:12 PM
I really don't think we have the need enough to warrant taking such a bad team player.

GoFor7
08-09-2012, 04:17 PM
I really don't think we have the need enough to warrant taking such a bad team player.

Are we calling him a bad team player because of what happened after the 2004 season? I think it's really time to get past that. And you certainly can't put all the blame on him for how the Jets fell apart last year. I like to think the Steelers have a stronger locker room than the Jets.

But as I said, it would only be for vet minimum and assuming a reduced role in the offense.

buddhistsagan
08-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Are we calling him a bad team player because of what happened after the 2004 season? I think it's really time to get past that. And you certainly can't put all the blame on him for how the Jets fell apart last year. I like to think the Steelers have a stronger locker room than the Jets.

But as I said, it would only be for vet minimum and assuming a reduced role in the offense.

I suppose you make a good point.

He was able to be productive and avoided being any sort of nuisance on one of the most over the top, ridiculous teams in the league last year.

steelfury02
08-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Supposedly the Cowboys are ready to sign him if no one steps it up for #3 spot in their camp

jiminpa
08-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Supposedly the Cowboys are ready to sign him if no one steps it up for #3 spot in their camp
... and there you go. He is Cryboys material. I actually think he will be perfect for them.

ebsteelers
08-10-2012, 10:06 AM
lol what happened to wes lyons?

GoFor7
08-10-2012, 10:28 AM
... and there you go. He is Cryboys material. I actually think he will be perfect for them.

The Cowboys are a very mentally soft team. If things aren't going well and Plaxico speaks too much I could see a very Jets-like implosion. I don't think the same would happen in Pittsburgh being that there are guys that are tougher mentally. Besides, if Plaxico complained about "not getting the ball enough" in Pittsburgh I think he'd get it shoved so far up his ass they'd have to pull it out of his mouth.

tony hipchest
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
lol what happened to wes lyons?the same thing that happened to dallas baker.

NLong725
08-12-2012, 11:26 PM
i ready somewheres on the internet today that plaxico was in new england visiting right now and what about chad johnson since he was cut today?

Hawaii 5-0
08-13-2012, 01:27 AM
what about chad johnson since he was cut today?

no thanks, you don't need problems from your #5 WR...

Rick5895
08-13-2012, 03:49 AM
If we need a veteran WR, maybe look to Lee Evans who was let go by jacksonvile. That all being said, I would much prefer to give these young guys an opportunity rather than go after a retread vet.

Kingmagyar
08-13-2012, 05:01 AM
No way to Lee Evans. Once a choker always a choker. Don't want him dropping some ball in a championship game. No way.

Galax Steeler
08-13-2012, 05:05 AM
the same thing that happened to dallas baker.

Ha Ha I had forgot about him.:rofl:

teegre
08-13-2012, 08:42 AM
the same thing that happened to dallas baker.

Working at Foot Locker, alongside of Fred Gibson & Danny Farmer...???

Lady Steel
08-13-2012, 11:16 PM
what about chad johnson since he was cut today?

Do you know anything about the Pittsburgh Steelers organization? Seriously. Wow. Just wow! :shake01:

Hawaii 5-0
08-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Do you know anything about the Pittsburgh Steelers organization? Seriously. Wow. Just wow! :shake01:

agreed, the Steelers are not going to be interested in a 34 year old washed up WR whose best days are behind him, has a history of baggage, doesn't play special teams and is currently having legal problems...

TXSTEELER
08-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Bilacheat will find a use for him, just watch! He will bring him in on the "cheap" and see if he can make some plays in the red zone.

teegre
08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Bilacheat will find a use for him, just watch! He will bring him in on the "cheap" and see if he can make some plays in the red zone.

Uh... hmmm... uh... the 2011 season... hmmm...