PDA

View Full Version : D. Lolley day 5 camp notes-

tony hipchest
07-29-2012, 09:04 PM
lots of good stuff in here-

http://burgh.us/f9l

I finally got to sit and watch - OK, stand and watch - an entire practice Sunday for the first time at this camp without having to hustle somewhere else or have things abbreviated by the threat of rain.

I saw some pretty good things out there.

Second-year linebacker Chris Carter looks physically bigger on the field and his functional strength is improved. Once just a guy who could beat you with his quick first step, Carter can now lock onto somebody and force them where he wants to go instead of the other way around.

He did this in the backs on tight ends drills against David Johnson, then handled Leonard Pope.

Carter told me after practice that he's added eight to 10 pounds of muscle.

Being that he's starting opposite LaMarr Woodley with both James Harrison and Jason Worilds on the PUP list, it was a good move for Carter.

@ The Steelers had a physical pads practice and had some players dinged up at times.

Starting running back Isaac Redman took a shot early and sat out a few plays, but the most serious injury was to cornerback Keenan Lewis, who suffered an injury to the AC joint in his right shoulder during a sideline collision.

He could be sidelined a while, with Cortez Allen moving into his starting spot.

Offensive linemen Trai Essex and David DeCastro also suffered minor ankle sprains, but are not expected to miss any time.

Tight end Heath Miller (ankle) and punter Jeremy Kapinos (back) were joined on the sidelines Sunday by wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who was given the day off by head coach Mike Tomlin rather than have him practice on field turf.

As for good news on the injury front, safety Damon Cromartie-Smith is expected to be activated from the PUP list on Wednesday. He has been out with a shoulder injury.

@ Funny moment of the day came when offensive tackle Max Starks was working with the other PUP list players on his conditioning.

After running back Rashard Mendenhall completed a cone drill with the ball in his hands, Starks did the same.

I told the guy next to me that if Starks had the ball in his hands on a play, something had gone terribly wrong.

Starks came to his senses on the next drill and declined the ball when Mendenhall offered it to him.

@ The catch of the day belonged to first-year receiver Jimmy Young.

Working against Ike Taylor, Young went to the ground down the sideline on the final play of practice to snare a perfect pass from Byron Leftwich, hanging onto the ball as his helmet popped off upon contact with the ground.

@ While Carter looked improved, both Johnson and Leonard Pope disappointed in the backs on tight ends drill.

The clear star was LaMarr Woodley, which is why they are paying him the big bucks. Woodley whipped everyone in sight.

tony hipchest
07-29-2012, 09:11 PM
great compilation of all the tweets from teh beat writers and reporters that were present at camp today-

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07/2012-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-day-5-updates/

tanda10506
07-29-2012, 09:21 PM
These little injuries are typical for training camp, but after last year's injury madness I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a bit worried. Hate to see guys miss time when they have to learn a new offense. Good news on Carter, maybe he becomes a really good LB as he get's more strength and learns the system more. Woodley performing strong already is great news.

FrancoLambert
07-29-2012, 09:22 PM
:sofunny:
David Johnson disappoints in one on one drills.......I'm shocked!!!! :sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
07-29-2012, 09:27 PM
great compilation of all the tweets from teh beat writers and reporters that were present at camp today-

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07/2012-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-day-5-updates/

Good link:drink:

I have been following Mark Kaboly and Alan Robinson (former AP reporter who covered a lot of Pittsburgh sports before joining the Trib-Review this summer) on twitter

Gerry Dulac and Ed.B. have the advantage of writing for the Post-Gazette in terms of readers but Robinson and Kaboly are a good pair of reporters

Kaboly agrees Woodley was destroying everyone today but was not as impressed with Carter as Lolley was

Kaboly also reports Ta'amu hurt his foot - allegedly because the vets made him walk 2 miles to Walmart Wednesday night :noidea:

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

tony hipchest
07-29-2012, 09:28 PM
other tidbits-

alameda taamu missed time due to foot injury. he thought he "broke it" when the vets made him walk to wal-mart for snacks the evening before. appearantly they told him the 5 mile hike was "just down the street. :chuckle:

max starks says the new playbook is pretty similar and in some casess less and easier, once you get past the different verbiage and the reasons plays have different verbage.

best quote of course came from tomlin who said there would be a few dead indians in his cowboy movie tonight.

tony hipchest
07-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Good link:drink:

I have been following Mark Kaboly and Alan Robinson (former AP reporter who covered a lot of Pittsburgh sports before joining the Trib-Review this summer) on twitter

] thanks for the heads up #justfollowed :drink:

Atlanta Dan
07-29-2012, 09:36 PM
best quote of course came from tomlin who said there would be a few dead indians in his cowboy movie tonight.

I liked these quotes from today

Steelers D-line coach John Mitchell on #1-ranked defense of 2011: "You can cut stats up any way you want to. We didn’t have a good season."

https://twitter.com/arobinson_Trib/status/229657815571107840

When Ike Taylor was asked about Wallace"My name is Ike and his name is Mike.I would give you his phone number,but I don’t think he would like that” :chuckle:

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/229645287411572737

Steelersfan87
07-29-2012, 09:40 PM
thanks for the heads up #justfollowed :drink:

Yeah, he's the "new" guy at the Tribune-Review. I've been enjoying his articles lately on Wallace/Brown.

tony hipchest
07-29-2012, 09:53 PM
heres some of my favorites (love that willie colon seems pissed at the world)-

Chris Adamski‏@BuzzsawPGH

Willie Colon:"You gotta be able to kinda let people across the field from you know that you got teeth too--and that you're willing to bite."

Steelers RReports‏@CBSSportsNFLPIT

Says somethin bout Steelers mindset & history that they all seem so perturbed how bad D was last yr. Um, D ranked #1 in NFL in pts AND yds!

Aditi Kinkhabwala‏@AKinkhabwala

Ambassador Rooney here again. What a rock star. Definitely seeing why Steelers CB Ike Taylor can call him "Pops"

Ken Laird‏@Ken_Laird

Beachum owns DE Ike Igbinosun in lineman drills, then gives him shot to chops after Ike trash talks. DL coach Mitch yells at Ike to shut up

https://twitter.com/Steelers_Fever

TheVet
07-29-2012, 10:31 PM
How bad is Ta'amu's foot? Could it really be broken?

tony hipchest
07-29-2012, 10:35 PM
no, its not broken. its just sore because he's fat and he probably walked further than he has ever walked in his life. :chuckle: (he probably was wearing flip flops).

i woulda hitch hiked or atleast used my cell to call a cab. he's a steeler for crying out loud... someone woulda picked him up.

TheVet
07-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing. He should have just flagged the first passing car, anybody would have loved to give him a lift.

Steelersfan87
07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Ta'amu practiced today.

steelfury02
07-29-2012, 11:30 PM
i cleaned soda off the laptop after spitting it out @ "walked further than he ever has in his life . . ."

On another note - just from reading - seems like this team is HUNGRY

tony hipchest
07-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

cant walk to walmart, but ta'amu can sure deposit legursky 5 yards in the backfield during his first ever 1-on-1 drill today

:chuckle:

i agree... this team seems mega-hungry. i guess all the young players are getting the message loud and clear that having the #1 statistical defense from last year or being 2 seasons removed from a losing effort in the SB is not acceptable.

neither is being ranked 21st in offense. "the standard is the standard".

gotta love being a steelerfan! :tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2012, 10:14 AM
I was impressed by Carters quick step last year. Good to hear he muscled up and is being a bully.

Ta'amu putting Legursky 5 yards in the backfield in 1 on 1 is no surprise. Kid is gonna be good.

teegre
07-30-2012, 11:07 AM
I was impressed by Carters quick step last year. Good to hear he muscled up and is being a bully.

Ta'amu putting Legursky 5 yards in the backfield in 1 on 1 is no surprise. Kid is gonna be good.

I concur.  I watch a lot of Pac-12 football.  The kid was a late-R1 talent.  He dominated some games, and in every game, he was at least good (blowing up running plays in the backfield).  Then, his knees & shoulders were hurting, and in turn, he disappeared.  Subsequently, his draft status plummeted proportionately.  

Once his body had healed (to a degree), he was pretty good at the Senior Bowl.  And, I expect that trend to continue: once he's completely healthy, he'll be dominant.

Summation: He is the next NT in a line of great NTs: Steed to Hampton to Ta'amu.  

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2012, 11:42 AM
I concur.  I watch a lot of Pac-12 football.  The kid was a late-R1 talent.  He dominated some games, and in every game, he was at least good (blowing up running plays in the backfield).  Then, his knees & shoulders were hurting, and in turn, he disappeared.  Subsequently, his draft status plummeted proportionately.  

Once his body had healed (to a degree), he was pretty good at the Senior Bowl.  And, I expect that trend to continue: once he's completely healthy, he'll be dominant.

Summation: He is the next NT in a line of great NTs: Steed to Hampton to Ta'amu.  

True. I think the Steeler fans will be on him as a bust this year for maybe being #3 NT on the roster and maybe not dressing on gamedays.

Have to remember he played 3 technique at Washington and is now a zero. Going to take some time for John Mitchell to coach him up, but when he does he should be another force in the middle.

teegre
07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
True. I think the Steeler fans will be on him as a bust this year for maybe being #3 NT on the roster and maybe not dressing on gamedays.

Have to remember he played 3 technique at Washington and is now a zero. Going to take some time for John Mitchell to coach him up, but when he does he should be another force in the middle.

Exactly. We were spoiled with Casey (starting from day one). Joel Steed took three years to develop, but when he did...

Vis
07-30-2012, 12:04 PM

We should be so lucky. I don't trust Hampton's body enough to think that Ta'amu won't see the field this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2012, 02:25 PM
We should be so lucky. I don't trust Hampton's body enough to think that Ta'amu won't see the field this year.

I think we will see McLendon starting, Hampton being back by week 3 starting and Ta'amu getting some situational learning.

Keisel, Hood, Heyward, Woods, Hampton, McLendon, Ta'amu should be on the 53.

Steelersfan87
07-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I think it will be pretty close between Woods and Corbin Bryant. I have read a few positive things about Bryant so far this offseason. I don't know a lot about Woods, as I don't believe he's played any snaps yet for the Steelers, but I recall the Steelers being interested in drafting him in round 4 before the Saints took him (and they subsequently drafted Thaddeus Gibson), so I wasn't surprised that the Steelers picked Woods up when he became available. Hopefully with a full offseason with Mitchell and the team he can become the 4th round pick they missed out on with Gibson.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2012, 05:16 PM
I think it will be pretty close between Woods and Corbin Bryant. I have read a few positive things about Bryant so far this offseason. I don't know a lot about Woods, as I don't believe he's played any snaps yet for the Steelers, but I recall the Steelers being interested in drafting him in round 4 before the Saints took him (and they subsequently drafted Thaddeus Gibson), so I wasn't surprised that the Steelers picked Woods up when he became available. Hopefully with a full offseason with Mitchell and the team he can become the 4th round pick they missed out on with Gibson.

Yeah, I think those 2 are fighting for the final spot. I am biased to Woods from what I saw of him at LSU. I remember watching a game to look at Tyson Jackson and Ricky Jean Francois, but Al Woods stood out to me as well. I think he got injured and appealed to get a 5th year of eligibility at LSU.

Anyways, I think McLendon can be that Chris Hoke kind of guy that can play zero or a 5 technique for this defense, so not too concerned about who our #4 DE is going to be.

Tell Lolly to get us some impressions of Adams and DeCastro now!

Ricco Suavez
07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
I have been taken to task for my comments on last years defense as not being as good as we could or should of been. I believe the players them selves realize where their shortcomings were from and also know they have to improve in those areas, namely creating turnovers and putting pressure on opposing QBs. If the offense can improve just a little along with a ball hawking defense , the Steelers will be more than OK>

Steelersfan87
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Anyways, I think McLendon can be that Chris Hoke kind of guy that can play zero or a 5 technique for this defense, so not too concerned about who our #4 DE is going to be.

Agreed completely. Even though he's supposedly up to about 325 or so now, I still fully expect him to rotate out to DE fairly regularly, especially once Hampton is up to full speed and Ta'amu is better acclimated to his responsibilities. A 3rd NT is much more valuable and easy to justify if one of them can also play DE.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2012, 06:16 PM
I have been taken to task for my comments on last years defense as not being as good as we could or should of been. I believe the players them selves realize where their shortcomings were from and also know they have to improve in those areas, namely creating turnovers and putting pressure on opposing QBs. If the offense can improve just a little along with a ball hawking defense , the Steelers will be more than OK>

Tony posted something from I think Pat Kirwan talking about a "defensive triangle" of the NT-ILB's in a 3-4 or DT's-MLB in a 4-3. If you look at the Steelers triangle last year of Hampton, Farrior and (Timmons, Foote, Sylvester) that were old, injured and plugging in elsewhere...............I completely agree that the Steelers defense wasnt as good as the numbers indicate.

They got run on worse than in the past because of that battered triangle and teams may have passed against them less. This season, I am hoping for a healthy triangle of Timmons, Foote and Hampton(McLendon) to improve that.......but I still think Foote and Hampton are declining in play.

tanda10506
07-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Tony posted something from I think Pat Kirwan talking about a "defensive triangle" of the NT-ILB's in a 3-4 or DT's-MLB in a 4-3. If you look at the Steelers triangle last year of Hampton, Farrior and (Timmons, Foote, Sylvester) that were old, injured and plugging in elsewhere...............I completely agree that the Steelers defense wasnt as good as the numbers indicate.

They got run on worse than in the past because of that battered triangle and teams may have passed against them less. This season, I am hoping for a healthy triangle of Timmons, Foote and Hampton(McLendon) to improve that.......but I still think Foote and Hampton are declining in play.

Agreed, and with the talk from mini camp about Spence, we might even see him at ILB often. Foote is serviceable, at least by the Steelers standard, but if we could get a play maker at ILB next to Timmons then the defense will be really explosive. When I watch his highlights it seems like Spence has that potential. Fast and has a nose for the ball. A lot of our great LB's weren't even fast, they just had a nose for the ball, like Farrior. Unfortunately a primarily run stopping ILB is a burden on a modern defense as they have little chance of guarding the tall and fast TE's. That's why I'm excited about Spence, he has a nose for the ball and is a tackler which are the most essential qualities for a run stopping LB, but he also looks like a DB on some plays (in college) and WILL be able to cover the tall and fast TE's if he develop's into his potential. The way the league is going he might set the standard for the "new LB".

Fire Arians
07-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Agreed, and with the talk from mini camp about Spence, we might even see him at ILB often. Foote is serviceable, at least by the Steelers standard, but if we could get a play maker at ILB next to Timmons then the defense will be really explosive. When I watch his highlights it seems like Spence has that potential. Fast and has a nose for the ball. A lot of our great LB's weren't even fast, they just had a nose for the ball, like Farrior. Unfortunately a primarily run stopping ILB is a burden on a modern defense as they have little chance of guarding the tall and fast TE's. That's why I'm excited about Spence, he has a nose for the ball and is a tackler which are the most essential qualities for a run stopping LB, but he also looks like a DB on some plays (in college) and WILL be able to cover the tall and fast TE's if he develop's into his potential. The way the league is going he might set the standard for the "new LB".

don't forget about sylvester also. training camp reports are saying that sly is looking good so far. it's only week 1 but still, positive news is good news

Curtain_of_Steel
07-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Been reading all the posts here and of course I must add in my wise ass remarks.

Colon showing teeth? About dam time isn't? You would think he would've shown some teeth before now.

Legursky being put 5 yards into the backfield? How shocking is that? Ashley could probably put him 5 yards back.

Ta'amu? Real smart, sending a fat overweight rookie, 5 miles up the road. Like we need more injuries at the NT position. Dumb ass's

ricardisimo
07-30-2012, 08:04 PM

I will worry about our D when they start to suck, and I mean in significant ways. I understand what people are saying about how the rankings may have been kind, but 31 other teams would love the luxury of being hypercritical of themselves like that.
Been reading all the posts here and of course I must add in my wise ass remarks.

Colon showing teeth? About dam time isn't? You would think he would've shown some teeth before now.

Legursky being put 5 yards into the backfield? How shocking is that? Ashley could probably put him 5 yards back.

Ta'amu? Real smart, sending a fat overweight rookie, 5 miles up the road. Like we need more injuries at the NT position. Dumb ass's
Oh, lord... more Colon-bashing. Willie Colon has always been able to hold his own on the line, and his footwork is solid, as you can clearly see in this video, especially right around the :35 mark:
HTSRzd8uhVo

:chuckle:

Seriously, though, the point with Colon "showing teeth" is that tackle requires a little less emotion, a little more technique and control, whereas guard is more mean streak. After several years of injury, preceded by solid experience at tackle there was some question whether he could ratchet up the aggression at his new position. So yes it's good news, but I don't find it all that surprising.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2012, 08:35 PM

See Below quote from 2009 rookie #1 pick Ziggy Hood about Colon

“Is the right tackle No. 74?” Hood asked about Willie Colon. “He was an eye opener for me, something I had to go in the film room and watch. It was rough out there. The first practice was going fine until he came along, and that really opened me up because he came right at me like a raging bull. There was nothing I could do about it.”
http://tribune-democrat.com/localsports/x519193618/Wexell-Top-pick-gets-good-reviews

tony hipchest
07-31-2012, 03:35 AM
theres an ancient article...

before willie colon got serious about football, he was kicking ass in the streets of the bronx every day.

make no bones about it, willie is the guy you want walking with you down a dark alley.

ricardisimo
07-31-2012, 03:37 AM
theres an ancient article...

before willie colon got serious about football, he was kicking ass in the streets of the bronx every day.

make no bones about it, willie is the guy you want walking with you down a dark alley.
Isn't that why Ben had him at the club down in Georgia? Lot of good it did him, but still...

tony hipchest
07-31-2012, 03:41 AM
Isn't that why Ben had him at the club down in Georgia? Lot of good it did him, but still...

wingman.

but yes, it is true. willie is one of bens best friends, as is the rest of the OL. he knows they will try and sacrifice it all to protect him. once colon is done with football, i bet him and a few others have a great shot at going into the secret service. (isnt max starks pop a secret service agent?)

tony hipchest
07-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Tell Lolly to get us some impressions of Adams and DeCastro now!

Adams and decastro have been very inconsistent. But that's to be expected.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2012, 05:42 PM

Adams and decastro have been very inconsistent. But that's to be expected.

I expect that from Adams, but DeCastro............didnt see that coming.

tanda10506
07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
I expect that from Adams, but DeCastro............didnt see that coming.

Agreed. I guess it's setting the bar pretty high but I was expecting to already be hearing good things about him. He sat out one day with an injury and then this, I'm not panicked but it's not good news. I hope these guys are actually ready to start come week 1 as planned. Foster starting at RG for the first few games would be ok, but will Starks be ready week 1 if Adams is not? Meh, I'm probably just reading to much into it.

Bayz101
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM
No matter how good a rookie is, you can always expect some inconsistency, especially considering it's only training camp. The pre-season will be interesting.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2012, 06:18 PM
No matter how good a rookie is, you can always expect some inconsistency, especially considering it's only training camp. The pre-season will be interesting.

That is the thing.........DeCastro is solid and played that way in college, so I am comfortable with his transition.

Adams on the other hand has great physical skills, but played up and down while in college, so I expect him to struggle more. If he was inconsistent in NCAA, he's likely to be more so his first week in the NFL.

Bayz101
07-31-2012, 06:24 PM
That is the thing.........DeCastro is solid and played that way in college, so I am comfortable with his transition.

Adams on the other hand has great physical skills, but played up and down while in college, so I expect him to struggle more. If he was inconsistent in NCAA, he's likely to be more so his first week in the NFL.

Being a buckeye fan, and living in North East Ohio, I can confirm that Adams struggled a LOT throughout college, and the competition wasn't always the greatest. Hopefully he can translate to a good player in the NFL.