PDA

View Full Version : 2nd pick agrees to 3-year contract

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Steelers have two WRs left to sign before camp

Thursday, July 27, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers yesterday signed safety Anthony Smith, a third-round draft choice from Syracuse University and their second overall selection, to a three-year contract.

Smith received a signing bonus of $521,500 and annual salaries of $275,000, $360,000 and $445,000.

Quarterback Omar Jacobs, a fifth-round pick, has come to terms in principle on a three-year agreement, although he will not sign his contract until today. That leaves two rookies unsigned as the Steelers prepare to report to training camp by 6 p.m. tomorrow at St. Vincent College in Latrobe -- top pick Santonio Holmes and their second third-round pick, Willie Reid, both wide receivers.

Joel Segal, the agent for Holmes, said he continued to make good progress with the Steelers during negotiations yesterday.

Smith expects to compete with Ryan Clark, a veteran free-agent signing from the Washington Redskins, for the starting job at free safety that opened when Chris Hope signed with the Tennessee Titans.

"That's the plan," said Smith's agent, Ken Sarnoff.

LambertIsGod58
07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Anthony is out of my hometown of Syracuse. We watched him here for four years. As I said before, this kid is the real deal. Definately in the top 5 of Safety candidates in this year's draft.

Santonio4
07-27-2006, 08:38 PM
im glad we got got this guy. mark my words: he will be somethin special

Haiku_Dirtt
07-27-2006, 09:19 PM
We have some solid young bucks competing in the secondary. What a difference 3 solid drafts make.

Haven't heard McFadden's name lately which is a good thing. I think is stock is going way up this season.