PDA

View Full Version : Golden camp notes from Craig Wofley

tony hipchest
07-31-2012, 01:08 PM
by far my favorite steelers blog. i nearly get goosebumps reading some of this stuff-

http://craigwolfley.com/2012/07/stuff-from-training-camp/

Stuff From Training Camp

After 3 “Show Pony” days where the Steelers ran and practiced in shorts followed by 2 days in pads, here’s just some thoughts and observations;

I wish i had these CBA rules back in the day. Would’ve extended the career by a few years and the damage points would have been less.

Keenan Lewis has looked good early on in the CB derby with Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. Now with a doinked shoulder that might set him back some, Cortez and Curtis get more of a look. Hope the shoulder is nothing serious.

The salad bar up at the training hall in Saint Vincent is terriffic. Can’t believe i’m talking about the salad bar.

Willie Colon is the leader of that offensive line. When team period started on saturday, the very first play was a running play and Willie and the Law Dawg (Lawrence Timmons) had a little pugilistic set-to. So the next day i sidle up to Willie while he was in individual period, because i suspected that Willie might have had a little pre-meditation going into the team period to mix it up with somebody to set the tone. The conversation went like this;

Me: Willie, did you plan to whack somebody going into team yesterday to put’em on notice?

Willie: No.

Me: Are you lying to me?

Willie: No.

Okay. So much for pre-meditation and sending a message. But i still love the way Willie leads by example and believe you me the rest of the guys are responding.

The first Backs on ‘Backers drill;

Worst Runover: Stevenson Sylvestor running over Wesley Saunders, ouch…

Best Stuff on a defensive rusher: David Johnson on someone who i can’t remember

Consistently good overall: Johnathan Dwyer and Baron Batch.

Most pressure: Ike Redman who was called out by RB coach Kirby Wilson who said “Ike can’t lose!” Mike Tomlin responded by matching Ike up against Lawrence Timmons and Lamar Woodley. Ike held his own against Lamar.

Speaking of Kirby Wilson, he is the most inspirational man in camp. I can’t tell you the respect that i have for this man after suffering through what he has. Ike Redman, who is coached by Kirby put it this way on our radio show when he came on as a guest, “I can’t complain about anything that hurts.”

Rookie OT Mike Adams is more athletic than i thought he was. His ability tomove his feet in the one-on-one’s suprised me. He’s not a “thunder foot” like most guys his size.
Ramone Foster is not going to give up his starting RG job willingly. The “Big Ragu” is a junkyard dog when it comes to the trenches. Foster isn’t going to wilt from the pressure behind him. David DeCastro will have to fight for it.

BTW, the Big Ragu loves vintage NFL blankets that the producer of our radio show, Tad, had on his bed in the dorms where all the media stay. We had to do our show in Tad’s room because of some technical gargonzola with the radio stuff, so we went indoors to Tad’s room. If was like a Tunch and Wolf meet Wayne’s World. Anyhow, Foster took a picture of Tad’s blanket and sent it to his brother. Ramone and his brother had blankets like that growing up. An NFL “Woobie.”:chuckle:

Steve McClendon is a lot bigger than the 280 lbs they have him listed at on the roster. He told me that he weighed 325. A very impressive 325 i might add. And he ran well on the run test, which rookie NT Alameda Ta’amu did not.

I saw Casey Hampton in the lunch hall and he was wearing a bag of ice wrapped around his elbow. Casey, who is on the PUP list, has not been practicing with the team. So i said, “Casey you hurt that elbow from all the leaning you been doing?” Casey as always, just takes it in stride. He’s a great guy. I hope he gets back by the September 9th Denver game that he says he’s intending to make.

The hardest working man in camp is Antonio Brown. If you get a chance to watch him during the individual period where WR coach Scottie Montgomery puts them through their fundamentals, watch the intensity with which Brown goes about his business. It’s a lesson to anybody who seeks to achieve greatness.

A guy that i’m starting to notice. OLB Adrian Robinson from Temple. He’s got something cooking in the kitchen. Can get after it on the pass rush.

The best eating in Latrobe? The Touchdown Club. Try the Crabcakes, Chicken Tempura and the Chilean Sea Bass. Outt’a sight.

Newest factoid i didn’t know is that punter Jeremy Kapinos was a soccer “goon.” Back in High School, i think it was, he would be brought in to whack guys. A punter….go figure.

Another guy starting to show up on the radar is linebacker Mortty Ivy. He picks his way throught the crosstown traffic on the inside pretty good.

Mike Tomlin held rookie RB Chris Rainey out of the Backs on Backers drill for a good reason. Since the coaches allow no cutting in the drill, Rainey is at an extreme disadvantage when it comes to size. The backs work on a giant heavy bag that the incredible Hulk could use if he was ever training for a fight. It’s the heaviest heavy bag i’ve ever seen. It must weigh close to 300 lbs. The coach swings the bag and the backs have to step up and hit it like they would if a backer was blitzing. When Chris Rainey, the “Amish running back” as we like to call him (because of his Amish style beard he wears) took his turn with the monster bag it knocked him outt’a the box like a pinball.

Safety Ryan Mundy is in the best shape in the history of his life. He’s also a new husband and proud papa after this off-season. look for him to continue that nice upward curve he’s on.

teegre
07-31-2012, 01:21 PM
I have seen many an interview of Mean Joe Greene talking about how Rocky Bleier gave those teams in the 70s the "will" to play harder (& win).

Greene told a story: He walked into the training room, complaining of a sore ankle (or something). He looks over at Bleier, who is blue from ankle to hip...and Greene walks back out & onto the field. "If Rocky wasn't complaining...I sure as hell wasn't going to"

Kirby Wilson provides that type of "will."

jiminpa
07-31-2012, 02:32 PM
"Best Stuff on a defensive rusher: David Johnson on someone who i can’t remember" Don't bother trying Craig. If Whiff Johnson stuffed him, he won't be around long.

ebsteelers
07-31-2012, 02:39 PM
very nice read..

cant wait to go out to camp next tuesday

really hope robinson sticks at olb.. never have enough pass rushers.

especially with harrison getting up there in age, and worldis not always being healthy

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2012, 04:40 PM
-Colon is nasty and leads by example
-Mike Adams has great feet (I think most scouts and draftniks already knew that wolf)
-An NFL Woobie?? :rofl: Michael Keaton would be proud.

tanda10506
07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
DeCastro is mean and evidently Colon is too. It would be nice to see a pulling guard KO a LB/DB Hines Ward style. Seems like the whole team is pissed. That alone isn't enough to win it all, but it's a damn good sign that the teams back on the right track. I don't hope for other players to get long lasting injuries, but I love it when we knock someone out of the game. The O line is pissed, the defense is too, I hope we abuse teams this year like in 2008. Only this time it might be on offense too.

Bayz101
07-31-2012, 05:13 PM
-Colon is nasty and leads by example
-Mike Adams has great feet (I think most scouts and draftniks already knew that wolf)
-An NFL Woobie?? :rofl: Michael Keaton would be proud.

Great feet? I'm sure the Jets and Ryan are already calling in a trade. :sofunny:

teegre
07-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Great feet? I'm sure the Jets and Ryan are already calling in a trade. :sofunny:

Nicely played, sir... nicely, played.  

tburhans
07-31-2012, 06:01 PM
The team really seems to be practicing hard and feeling disrespected by the entire NFL. The offensive line seems ready to tear any defender in their way to shreds, with Colon being the leader by example. The defense is taking anything and everything personal. The too old,slow thing is still in their heads and they are ready to put people in body bags.
People i am impressed with so far: Chris Carter-came into camp stronger this year and is really learning the OLB position. Could be very useful for us this year if injuries strike
Willie Colon-Stepping up as a leader and showing intensity on the o-line,something we have needed.
Antonio Brown-Still practicing like hes a rookie trying to make the team. You cant say enough about a guy like this.:tt03:

pittpete
07-31-2012, 10:35 PM
The hardest working man in camp is Antonio Brown. If you get a chance to watch him during the individual period where WR coach Scottie Montgomery puts them through their fundamentals, watch the intensity with which Brown goes about his business. It’s a lesson to anybody who seeks to achieve greatness.

AB is hungry and I love it.:thumbsup:
$Wallace$, watch and learn my man

tony hipchest
08-01-2012, 02:14 AM
lol...^^^^^^^^ that is great ^^^^^^^

Galax Steeler
08-01-2012, 03:59 AM
Sounds to me like we may finally have and offensive line in front of Ben. I know it is early but it is starting to sound good to me.

BGSU A Dub
08-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Sounds to me like we may finally have and offensive line in front of Ben. I know it is early but it is starting to sound good to me.

I really hope you are right. It would be scary to see what this team could accomplish if we had a solid o-line

43Hitman
08-01-2012, 07:19 AM

Definitely sounds good to me. I'm tired of wincing every time Ben goes back to pass.

steelfury02
08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
^This X1000

Last season: "Here comes the edge rusher . . . and down goes Ben . . .like clockwork."

LVSteelersfan
08-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Good O-line and Steelers in the same sentence. I am sorry. That does not compute.

I am so excited to see what the two rookies can do this year. I hope the injury bug to the O-line is done. We can't seem to keep an O-line together long enough to gel. That will be GREAT if we have the best Oline in the NFL after the crap we have seen on the field the past few years.

BGSU A Dub
08-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I am so excited to see what the two rookies can do this year. .

Excited/nervous.

jiminpa
08-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm excited to see that we won't be telling every defense to pin their ears back and sack the QB every time we go to throw the ball. It will be amazing how much better the line will look when the defense doesn't know the play before it's called in.

steelfury02
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM
^^^This alone will improve our O

SH-Rock
08-05-2012, 08:44 PM
^^^This alone will improve our O

Couldn't get any worse.

TheVet
08-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Couldn't get any worse.

The best part is that it's all upside.

tony hipchest
08-09-2012, 09:38 AM
More gold from wolfley (this shit is primo)-

http://craigwolfley.com/2012/08/more-stuff-from-camp/

More Stuff From Camp
By Craig Wolfley On August 8, 2012 ·

....Here we are the day before the Steelers open the pre-season in Philly. So just some more observations from the past week in camp.

David DeCastro will make his first start against the Eagles. By my count he’s had four very good practice days in a row. David is really starting to flash his skills. He runs much better than i realized and i think he’s on a good track, maybe the Pouncey track. Where i most humbly think David had a little challenge was in the speed and quickness of players (they are all fast at this level) and the angles that he had to take to intercept cut-offs on the backside and getting up to the second level guys. He’s got the mental game down but good. I talked to him yesterday morning and asked him if he was excited. He was, but if you know David, you know by now he’s the master of saying very little, but let me tell you when i got a gander at his eyes, they were fired up. I am really looking forward to seeing this young man play tomorrow night.

While in Latrobe, and if you hit Sharky’s, get the Chicken Diego. The garlic sauce is killer. Don’t expect to get a good nite kiss from the wife though.

Speaking of the Young Guns, Mike Adams has suprised me. He’s feistier than i thought, has a nice fluid athleticism about him, can take guys off the ball and drive block better than i anticipated. The only glaring thing that pops out right now is his habit of getting “Dead-foot-itis” in pass pro. He’s used to dominating college guys and shoving them upfield. But in the pros the quick guys will cut the corner and back door the QB. So he’s got to learn to run the guy around the pocket. Not a problem, just something he has to overcome.

WR Derek Williams seems to be climbing the charts in WR coach Scott Montgomery’s mind. We had Scottie “In the Locker room” and his eyes lit up while talking about Derek and the great job he did in the stalk blocking drills whacking guys.

Last week i happened to be standing by Kevin Colbert when Cortez Allen flashed on the practice field and under cut a route, leaping high to INT the ball. It was an unbelieveable athletic move and i looked at Kevin and gushed “On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the best, what would you rate that?” Kevin, in his usual under-stated way laughed and said, “Real good.”

Rookie OT-G Kelvin Beachum looked good in practice yesterday. He’s got very good feet and uses his hands like a 3rd year pro. While playing OT, and the defense running an E-T (twist stunt with 2 players), Beachum punched the DE flat to the inside, then picked up LB’er Adrian Robinson screaming around the corner, and slammed Robinson, kicking up dirt. The dirt was the exclamation point on a fine body slam.

Ramone Foster will not go “Gently into the night.” As i said the Big Ragu is a fighter and he’s been having an excellent camp. Moving into the LG spot for Willie Colon , Foster is playing well and making the most of his practice reps. As i said, DeCastro will have to earn the RG spot.

Speaking of guys using their practice reps to standout, OLB Chris Carter is having a terriffic camp. He’s playing under control, not near as head-heavy as he was last year and with 8-10 pounds of added size and strength, he’s looked good rushing the passer.

If you hit Dino’s in Latrobe, try the Jumbalaya with rice. New Orleans good!

I didn’t see this but my compadre, Tunch Ilkin, saw James Harrison working out on the treadmill in the weight room in camp. He was wearing a gas mask. I guess it simulates breathing at altitude. Or maybe Tunch had the Jumbalaya….

Best sight in camp; after practice Carnell Lake, Larry Foote, and Ray Jackson ran a couple gassers down the length of the field. Kirby Wilson jumped in and ran with them. A fabulous sight to see to anybody who is a fan and admirer of Steelers RB coach Kirby Wilson, like me.

Youngstown Steeler
08-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I guess it was a little premature to label DD a bust. Great read!

MACH1
08-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I guess it was a little premature to label DD a bust. Great read!

Dennis Dixon? :chuckle:

It's good to hear Kirby is back! Can't wait for game time.

Youngstown Steeler
08-09-2012, 10:06 AM
No, I think it's pretty safe to label Dixon a bust! Where is he now? I don't think any team picked him up. I guess he was wrong in thinking he could be a starter in the NFL.

steelfury02
08-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I dunno, he is Jacksonville material IMHO:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-09-2012, 11:52 AM
If Derek Williams makes the squad as the #5 WR, that will be interesting. Could put Clemons to the PS.

Mike Adams dead-foot-itis will get cured pretty fast with Trent Cole tonight. Gotta keep moving with that guy.

Beachum has good feet, hand placement and intelligence......but I cant see him making the 53 until he bulks up some more.

Chris Carter.........awesome!! The next Clark Haggans or the next Joey Porter