PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Colbert Signs 4-Year Contract Extension

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Steelers Sign Director of Football Operations to Contract Extension

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers announced today that Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert has signed a four-year contract extension that will keep him with the team through the 2010 season. Financial terms of the contract were not released.

"We are very pleased to have Kevin continue as an important member of our front office for years to come," said Steelers President Art Rooney II. "Obviously, he has played a vital role in our success over the past several years, including the Super Bowl title last season."

Colbert, a Pittsburgh native, is currently in his seventh season with the Steelers after originally joining the team Feb. 15, 2000. In addition to overseeing the team's football operations, Colbert supervises all player personnel and scouting decisions. He is also the Steelers' liaison between the NFL office and other NFL clubs on football matters.

"I'm very thankful for the opportunity to remain with the Pittsburgh Steelers," said Colbert. "My family and I are very fortunate to be a part of such a special organization."

Prior to joining the Steelers, Colbert spent 10 seasons (1990-99) as pro scouting director for the Detroit Lions. Before joining the Lions, he spent one season (1984) with the BLESTO Scouting Service and five years as a college scout with the Miami Dolphins (1985-89).

A graduate of Robert Morris College, Colbert, 49, began his career coaching three sports ? football, baseball and basketball ? at his alma mater, Robert Morris College, and at Ohio Wesleyan University.

http://news.steelers.com/article/66177

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Interesting how Colbert was in the last year of his contract (4 year extension today takes him through 2010) and I recall no concerns being stated that he might be going anywhere.

Good move to maintain continuity in the event this is Cowher's last year.

When you look at the 1998-2000 dysfunction as the poor personnel decisions of the latter stages of the Donohoe era played out and the success since Colbert arrived, the contributions of Colbert to the success of this franchise appear clear to me.

GoFor6
07-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Seems strange to be negotiating a deal with our lead negotiator during the most critical 72 hours of the "contract year".

I hope it doesn't affect the signings of Holmes, Reid and Jacobs. We only got 28 hours until they need to report.

siss
07-27-2006, 01:23 PM
They 'll get it done. If Holmes knows whats good for him he will sign and be in camp on time. If not...It's gunna take 20 touchdowns before he gets on my good side!

Haiku_Dirtt
07-27-2006, 01:28 PM
HUGE

Prosdo
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Very good news. Glad we got this deal done.

BlackNGold203
07-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Seems strange to be negotiating a deal with our lead negotiator during the most critical 72 hours of the "contract year".

I hope it doesn't affect the signings of Holmes, Reid and Jacobs. We only got 28 hours until they need to report.

Colbert doesnt negotiate contracts...Omar Khan does....

Colbert identifies talent..and does a helluva job...this is great news....

Lyn
07-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Meaning once again all of us fans who know football talent right now when we see it, will have to wait a few more years for them to come to their senses and employ us:)

Steel City Mafia
07-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Probablly the best news I've heard all day, thanks

Elvis
07-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Kevin has done a nice job and I look forward to seeing what happens to Bill Cowher and I hope that he isnt in his last year. He is a great guy and he fits our team mold peeeerfectly!!!
God Bless
Elvis

X-Terminator
07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
It's interesting that many of us fans were saying "Kevin WHO?" and cursing the team for picking someone from the Lions organization when he was first signed, and now he's getting a nice - and very well deserved - contract extension. He really has done a great job building this team and he obviously gets along very well with Cowher, which was important given that Donohoe and Cowher did not have a great relationship. The coach and GM have to be on the same page in order to build a winner.

BB2W
07-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm glad they got this done... he's done well. :smile:

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I've questioned some of his decisions recently, especially this year with no linebackers chosen and his philosophy on the second day. Yeah i know many have before i did lol.The results have been much better than his days in Detroit though. I don't know if scouts like Bill Nunn give out the info and Colbert doesn't process the bpa.

The speculation between Cowher/Colbert agreeing,along with members of the staff giving evaluations at their respective areas of positions seems to play a larger part as well. Usually, i like how the FO looks at potential free agents, so i can't disapprove with that aspect. The BLESTO Scouting Service background ties must play in his favor as long as the Steelers are competitive.

SteelerFanInCA
07-27-2006, 06:27 PM
I'd say Colbert's done well the past few years. I'm glad to see this deal get done.

Stlrs4Life
07-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Good move, Colbert has done a very good job since he was hired.

tony hipchest
07-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I've questioned some of his decisions recently, especially this year with no linebackers chosen and his philosophy on the second day. Yeah i know many have before i did lol.The results have been much better than his days in Detroit though. I don't know if scouts like Bill Nunn give out the info and Colbert doesn't process the bpa.
. youre not high on mike kudla? i kinda wondered about the lack of lb's drafted but maybe it shows faith in r. wallace and a. frazier as a part of the future. it almost seems like the lb spot would be a tough roster spot for any rookie to snag with the time put in already with these projects we already have.

tony hipchest
07-27-2006, 07:06 PM
It's interesting that many of us fans were saying "Kevin WHO?" and cursing the team for picking someone from the Lions organization when he was first signed, and now he's getting a nice - and very well deserved - contract extension. He really has done a great job building this team and he obviously gets along very well with Cowher, which was important given that Donohoe and Cowher did not have a great relationship. The coach and GM have to be on the same page in order to build a winner. and who can forget our 1st big free agent signing with colbert of jeff "who" hartings from detroit?
a guard brought over to be a center. glad to see he didnt retire a few years back with those knee injuries.

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2006, 07:10 PM
youre not high on mike kudla? i kinda wondered about the lack of lb's drafted but maybe it shows faith in r. wallace and a. frazier as a part of the future. it almost seems like the lb spot would be a tough roster spot for any rookie to snag with the time put in already with these projects we already have.

From what I gathered, Kudla is a pretty solid LB. At the same time, nobody else took him in the draft. It remains to be seen. Porter is not getting any younger and Farrior is no spring chicken. I would rather have seen us take a LB earlier in the draft. Going by what I hear from the local media, the Steelers are high on Frazier but I have not heard very much on Wallace.

Lambertfan
07-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Don't forget grandaughters..........

Ambridge
07-27-2006, 07:23 PM
but I have not heard very much on Wallace.

If you watch the highlights of the AFC Championship Game he does plenty of posing for the camera on the sideline. :grin:

X-Terminator
07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
and who can forget our 1st big free agent signing with colbert of jeff "who" hartings from detroit?
a guard brought over to be a center. glad to see he didnt retire a few years back with those knee injuries.

Yes, I remember that signing, but I didn't question it as much as others did because of the Steelers' philosophy when it comes to centers - they like smaller, more athletic guys at the position, and Hartings definitely fit the bill. They figured it worked with Dirt Dawson (don't believe he was a natural center), so they took a chance on him and man, has it paid off. He's turned into one of the best centers in the league.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-27-2006, 07:55 PM

The speculation between Cowher/Colbert agreeing,along with members of the staff giving evaluations at their respective areas of positions seems to play a larger part as well. Usually, i like how the FO looks at potential free agents, so i can't disapprove with that aspect. The BLESTO Scouting Service background ties must play in his favor as long as the Steelers are competitive.

Yeah I know what your saying about not getting linebackers but the depth and interchangability is buying them one more season. Doubtful that next season's draft will be a repeat. Very doubtful.