PDA

View Full Version : Colon scrapping

tburhans
08-04-2012, 07:05 AM
During last nights scrimmage mike adams and cam heyward got into a scuffle. Colon came over to "separate" them and ended up getting into it with heyward ending it with a punch to cams helmet. I love the nasty attitude and intensity that he brings but it seems like a daily routine for him to be in a scuffle with teammates. Can't wait for him to start crushing other teams instead of our guys

BGSU A Dub
08-04-2012, 07:41 AM
I had read once that they don't get in fights because they are mad at each other, it's more about being caught up in the moment. The players are so excited to be on the field and have the feeling of competition again that they have a difficult time harnessing. I wonder who bought who the beer last night.

steelfury02
08-04-2012, 10:26 AM
for those of you at camp - is there a noticeable attitude to this squad - different from previous camps? From what I gather from articles - it seems like this team is PISSED and ready to do some damage. I can't remember hearing so many players/coaches/fans as excited as we all are about this camp - is there a definite renewed energy and purpose? Just getting so psyched - I think we have a sleeping giant this year!

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Colon is a nasty brawler from the Bronx and has always "finished" well when blocking in the run game. Its why many have always said he is a prototypical guard and could have improved things on the inside of the O line.

I don't take crap, if you want to get down to it. That is the nature of growing up as an inner city kid, I am from the Bronx. I grew up five minutes from Yankee Stadium. My whole attitude growing up is fight for what you believe in and try to make your own way. I don't believe in luck, I don't believe in all that stuff, it is how hard you work is what you are going to get out of it.

http://www.jlsports.net/news_colon2.html

GoFor7
08-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Colon is a nasty brawler from the Bronx and has always "finished" well when blocking in the run game. Its why many have always said he is a prototypical guard and could have improved things on the inside of the O line.

I don't take crap, if you want to get down to it. That is the nature of growing up as an inner city kid, I am from the Bronx. I grew up five minutes from Yankee Stadium. My whole attitude growing up is fight for what you believe in and try to make your own way. I don't believe in luck, I don't believe in all that stuff, it is how hard you work is what you are going to get out of it.

http://www.jlsports.net/news_colon2.html

I like the nastiness - just don't take dumb penalties in a game. That's what the guy at left guard before him did.

LVSteelersfan
08-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I like the nastiness - just don't take dumb penalties in a game. That's what the guy at left guard before him did.

What was that guy's name again? Kemo eat (yourself) o(ut of the league). I hope Colon does not pile on after plays and do the stupid things Kemo did in the heat of the moment. That was mostly because he was trying to make up for p i $ $ poor play during real time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-04-2012, 01:38 PM
What was that guy's name again? Kemo eat (yourself) o(ut of the league). I hope Colon does not pile on after plays and do the stupid things Kemo did in the heat of the moment. That was mostly because he was trying to make up for p i $ $ poor play during real time.

Not really. Kemo had a history of anger management dating back to his college days at Utah. He was a powerful inline blocker that could pull well, but always seemed to be a below average pass protector.

Good run blocking OG that isnt a great pass protector is not a good combination in a Bruce Arians offense.

LVSteelersfan
08-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Not really. Kemo had a history of anger management dating back to his college days at Utah. He was a powerful inline blocker that could pull well, but always seemed to be a below average pass protector.

Good run blocking OG that isnt a great pass protector is not a good combination in a Bruce Arians offense.

Bruce Arians had an offense? I do agree that he was offensive. :rofl:

TheDude
08-04-2012, 11:20 PM
I really hope Willie stays healthy this year...he is a leader by nature IMO

Cant be a leader if your not dressing on Sundays. When he is healthy, he can serve as a leader for a young, talented OL...the rook's would be wise to follow a guy like Willie Colon's lead

tony hipchest
08-05-2012, 01:22 AM

What was that guy's name again? Kemo eat (yourself) o(ut of the league). I hope Colon does not pile on after plays and do the stupid things Kemo did in the heat of the moment. That was mostly because he was trying to make up for p i $ $ poor play during real time.colon only has 2 after the whistle penalties in his entire career.

Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot

For those wondering, Colon has 1 personal foul & 1 taunting penalty since he has been in the league #steelers

Hawaii 5-0
08-05-2012, 01:30 AM
colon only has 2 after the whistle penalties in his entire career.

Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot

For those wondering, Colon has 1 personal foul & 1 taunting penalty since he has been in the league #steelers

wonder how many false-start penalties Colon has though? maybe that's why we moved him to guard, to get him a little closer to the center so he can hear the snap count better...

tony hipchest
08-05-2012, 01:26 PM
wonder how many false-start penalties Colon has though? maybe that's why we moved him to guard, to get him a little closer to the center so he can hear the snap count better...dodens grav has done plenty of research on the matter. the numbers are overblown and exaggerated and not as horrible as many steelerfans make it out to be.

tanda10506
08-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Most of our penalties come from the secondary (poor/biased officiating) or from James Harrison. With the exception of Kemo piling on, our offensive line hasn't really had a penalty issue. Besides, a false start here and there won't kill you, it's not like Kemo's 15 yard automatic 1st down penalties.

Steelersfan87
08-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah, if I recall correctly, Colon had 4 false starts in 2009, and 6 total penalties. Really not that bad at all. Joe Thomas had 6 false starts last year.

Hawaii 5-0
08-05-2012, 02:19 PM
the numbers are overblown and exaggerated and not as horrible as many steelerfans make it out to be.

During his rookie season in 2006 Colon was inactive for the first 14 games so we'll omit that season.

In his second season in 2007 Colon started all 16 games at RT and had 11 penalties called on him that year that included 5 false starts and 5 holding calls.

In his 3rd year in the league in 2008 Colon started all 16 regular-season games and was flagged 13 times in total during the regular season.

Colon went on to start all 16 regular season games again at RT in 2009 and had his best season penalty-wise getting flagged just 7 times total, 4 times for holding and 3 times for false starts.

Colon was injured the last two seasons in 2010 and 2011 so we'll also omit looking at those seasons.

Colon is an above average OL in both run and pass protection and if he remains healthy will be a major upgrade over Kemo at LG. but he definitely has had issues with penalties in his career.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Colon is an above average OL in both run and pass protection and if he remains healthy will be a major upgrade over Kemo at LG. but he definitely has had issues with penalties in his career.

As I have always said, if a guy is playing OT without the ideal physical stature, then he will lean to keep pace with outside rushers and occasionally get caught with a false start. That is 90% of the false starts that Colon committed.

As Tony said. Its way overblown.

tony hipchest
08-05-2012, 06:03 PM
the title of this thread keeps reminding me of intestinal tissue sampling and polyp removal.

Hawaii 5-0
08-05-2012, 06:13 PM
the title of this thread keeps reminding me of intestinal tissue sampling and polyp removal.

:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM

dang!..............you just made me have a flashback of drinking a gallon of colyte. :doh:

Either way, lets just say that I think we are all wishing for a healthy Colon this seasona and for years to come. :hatsoff:

Hawaii 5-0
08-22-2012, 04:18 PM
“Pretty Good”

by CRAIG WOLFLEY on AUGUST 21, 2012

I was jacked to set up on the sidelines for the pre-season Heinz Field home opener with the Steelers playing host to the Indianapolis Colts. Not because of Andrew Luck, or the return of Bruce Arians or anything like that. I wanted to see Willie Colon make his first start at guard.

All right, i suppose you can call me a Hogg sympathizer, or an offensive line snob, but i have followed Willie Colon’s career for quite some time and i have always believed he could play guard, and do it well. Sunday night, Big Willie didn’t disappoint.

On the openeing series for the Steelers they ran the ball with, i believe it was, Johnathan Dwyer carrying the pigskin that called for a double-team block on the frontside between Marcus Gilbert and Colon. 300 hundred plus pounds of Colts DT Tony Moala dug in versus about 700 pounds of Hogg-on-the-hoof as Willie acted as the post-man and Gilbert the hip banger with an eye to come off on a linebacker trying to run through.

Colon hit Moala square down the numbers and started to “crane” or lift Moala up from a low pad level. Gilbert, as the man who comes in from the side to bang the hip of Moala and double-team him out of the trenches didn’t get low enough but Marcus has plenty of strength, and he used it all.

Slowly (though realize when i say this it’s just a matter of 1.5-2 seconds), Colon and Gilbert raised up the Colts DT who was fighting mightily, trying to stay low and turning sideways to reduce the hip area available to Gilbert. There seemed an awfully long moment where the colliding forces seemed to neutralize each other. But only for a moment.

Like an aging, old Oak tree that has withstood the onslaught of hundreds of storms only to finally meet it’s match and crack under enormous pressure, Moala suddenly gave way to the fury of a storm named Marcus-Willie.

Moala was lifted up and then, like a cascading wave crashing onto the shore line carrying human bodies like debris, Moala, Gilbert and Colon all crashed to the Heinz Field turf about five or six yards down the field. Awesome.

It’s hard to convey a titan-esque physical match-up like that if you’ve never been fortunate enough to be in on one. In the “game within the game,” where superior fire power means a lot, this was a huge win and what i knew Willie would be great at. Willie is a natural drive blocker and capable of rolling his hips through thereby lifting up and securing the down lineman on a double-team so that the tackle can provide extra oomph, and go get somebody on the second level.

Colon and Gilbert literally carried Moala several steps before the big splash and the play netted a positive gain just because the “shoreline” was now six yards or so back further than when the storm started. This was a perfect example of what it means to “Re-establish the line of scrimmage on the other side.”

After the game i saw Willie in the lockerroom. I said, “Check out that double-team on the first drive during films.”

I saw Willie today at practice, and i said “How’d that double-team look on film?”

Willie just let a grin crease his face and replied, “Pretty good.”

http://craigwolfley.com/2012/08/pretty-good/

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Colon is a Beast!!

Fire Arians
08-22-2012, 05:16 PM
uh huh huh, he said colon

tony hipchest
08-22-2012, 05:21 PM
i love wolfleys blog. only he can make a single 3 second play by an O-lineman sound like a 3 minute ballet recital routine. :applaudit:

pancake
08-22-2012, 09:15 PM
i love wolfleys blog. only he can make a single 3 second play by an O-lineman sound like a 3 minute ballet recital routine. :applaudit:

I agree lol

If Max plays up to the level of last year our Oline is going to be good... :tt:

Hawaii 5-0
08-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Colon pulling out all stops

8/23/2012
By F. Dale LolleyStaff writerdlolley@observer-reporter.com

http://www.observer-reporter.com/assets/8493463/08-23-colon-instory.jpg

PITTSBURGH - The first time Willie Colon pulled around end from his left guard position in last Sunday night’s 26-24 preseason victory by the Steelers, he admits he felt a little out of place.

After all, Colon had played right tackle in each of his previous six NFL seasons, and tackles are more accustomed to opponents getting running starts on them rather than the other way around.

“I felt like I didn’t react well enough at certain points. It’s not a natural thing for me,” Colon said. “I’ve got to kind of hone in on it and make it my goal to do better at it.

“I’m not used to kind of moving to hit somebody. But I felt good about it.”

The Steelers did as well.

“Willie’s a good football player, regardless of the circumstance you put him in,” Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said. “He’s going to play above the line. He always does, whether it’s at guard or tackle. We like how he’s grown and developed in that role.”

Colon has missed all but a half of a game in the past two seasons after being sidelined in 2010 by an Achilles’ tendon injury and in 2011 by a torn triceps suffered in the season opener.

The injury last season opened the door for rookie Marcus Gilbert to make 13 starts and the Steelers felt good enough about his play that they were comfortable moving Colon inside.

Sunday’s action was his first of this preseason after he suffered a slightly sprained ankle in the days prior to the Steelers’ opener at Philadelphia and sat out as a precaution.

Needless to say, both he and the Steelers were anxious to see how he would handle the position swap in game action.

“I’ve always felt like I could be a better (guard),” said the 6-3, 315-pound Colon. “I’m one of those guys who take everything to heart. I always feel like I can do better. I feel like the sky is the limit for me. I’m willing to put in the work so that I can be the best guard.”

With Colon moving to guard and the addition of first-round draft pick David DeCastro at right guard to flank Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers feel the middle of their line has the potential to be stronger than it has been in years.

“They all have a lot of competitive fire starting in the middle with Maurkice Pouncey,” said offensive coordinator Todd Haley. “Willie Colon is mean and nasty. He’s just what you’d think a player coming from the Bronx and Hofstra University. It’s going to be fun to watch”

Colon feels it will be even more effective when he gets the hang of pulling, which requires him to break at the snap of the ball, run around Pouncey’s backside and hit the first guy in an opposing uniform that he sees.

To get ready for that transition, Colon lost some weight prior to training camp to help him with his footspeed.

“I actually leaned up a lot. That was the goal going into this camp,” Colon said. “I knew I was going to pull a lot. The screen game is also a big part of this package. I kind of had to shed a bit and lean up. That was a good thing.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/Steelers-Colon

Hawaii 5-0
09-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Yeah, if I recall correctly, Colon had 4 false starts in 2009, and 6 total penalties. Really not that bad at all.

well, Willie Colon is off to a fast start in 2012 with two false start penalties after one game. so much for that theory that by moving closer to center that Willie would reduce the amount of his penalties...

Steelers>NFL
09-11-2012, 07:31 AM
well, Willie Colon is off to a fast start in 2012 with two false start penalties after one game. so much for that theory that by moving closer to center that Willie would reduce the amount of his penalties...

combination of the man been out for the last 2 years, and Ben running the clock all the way down to ZERO. Meaning sometimes these guys are in position for 15 seconds before the snap. Annoying to watch.

maddog78
09-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Sounds painful.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Yup, and I think I saw Mendenhall dancing and spinning too much on the sidelines as well.

steelfury02
09-11-2012, 12:27 PM
more like Colon crapping

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2012, 12:30 PM
more like Colon crapping

Relax, the guy is gonna get some Metamucil in him and get right. That way he will be more relaxed and avoid getting the trots before the snap and jumping the count.

I think those plays were called on 3 and he always likes to go on number 2, when he can.

steelfury02
09-11-2012, 12:38 PM
trots comment = coffee on desk yet again