PDA

View Full Version : It's OFFICIAL this time. Omar Jacobs is Signed

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Steelers Sign Rookie Quarterback Omar Jacobs

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers announced they have reached a contract agreement with rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs, it was announced today. Financial terms of the multi-year deal were not released.

Jacobs (6-4, 224) was the first of two fifth-round selections (164th overall) for the Steelers in the 2006 NFL Draft.

In just 25 games at Bowling Green, Jacobs ranks fifth in school annals with 523 pass completions and third with 6,938 passing yards. He also tossed Falcon-best 71 career touchdown passes.

A second-team All-American as a sophomore, Jacobs tied the NCAA Division 1-A season record in 2004 by attempting 224 consecutive passes without throwing an interception. He finished the season with 41 touchdown passes to just four interceptions, establishing an NCAA record. Last year as a junior, Jacobs was a semifinalist for the Davey O'Brien Award, given annually to the nation's top quarterback, and was an All-Mid-American Conference honoree.

Following the signing of Jacobs, the Steelers have inked seven of their nine draft picks.

http://news.steelers.com/article/66179

Elvis
07-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Good news... I am glad to see him in on time and challenging for that 3rd QB spot.. I think he will be our 3rd stringer this season and take over that #2 spot next year. He has all the natural tools and is obviously pretty smart with his decisions with the td's to int's ratio which is remarkable no matter what coference you play in. And that MAC conference has produced some pretty decent qb's the last few years and none had no where close to those numbers. Now if we can just get our WR's signed.. Come on Holmes... you owe the Steelers... and you should be here on time...
God Bless
Elvis

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Good news... I am glad to see him in on time and challenging for that 3rd QB spot.. I think he will be our 3rd stringer this season and take over that #2 spot next year. He has all the natural tools and is obviously pretty smart with his decisions with the td's to int's ratio which is remarkable no matter what coference you play in. And that MAC conference has produced some pretty decent qb's the last few years and none had no where close to those numbers. Now if we can just get our WR's signed.. Come on Holmes... you owe the Steelers... and you should be here on time...
God Bless
Elvis

At this point, I thought Reid would have been signed. I don't understand the hold up. I'm normally patient when it comes to signings, but Reid not being signed at this point concerns me more than Holmes. Should be getting around the same as Smith I would have to believe. That's why I'm not exactly sure of the hold up.

BB2W
07-27-2006, 06:14 PM
At this point, I though Reid would have been signed. I don't understand the hold up. I'm normally patient when it comes to signings, but Reid not being signed at this point concerns me more than Holmes.
Take it for what it's worth... but PFT is reporting that the Holmes deal is done and will be announced tomarrow.

SteelerFanInCA
07-27-2006, 06:15 PM
That's good news. I'm looking forward to seeing what this guy can do in pre-season. He looks like he has the skill set to go far in the league.

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Take it for what it's worth... but PFT is reporting that the Holmes deal is done and will be announced tomarrow.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=8982&page=3

Then his agent stated on KDKA news that the rumors are false and a deal has not been reached.

BB2W
07-27-2006, 06:19 PM
I love it when PFT's "source" turns out to be bogus. I'm embarassed for being caught at that site. :redface:

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2006, 06:21 PM
I love it when PFT's "source" turns out to be bogus. I'm embarassed for being caught at that site. :redface:

I hear ya brother. I saw it posted on another site and I actually felt dirty posting the link and article on this site....lol.

tony hipchest
07-27-2006, 06:23 PM
maybe willie reid knows hes gonna be better than santonio. (think 3rd round hines vs. 1st round edwards)

im more concerned about holmes signing. the books have been set for what reid will be getting. he dont have much of a bargaining chip at all. at this point hes deep on the depth chart but maybe he feels hes gonna get alot of touches as a returner and deserves a little more. i cant blame his agent if he wants to see what the 1st rounder gets before signing.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Who cares if Holmes and Reid don't sign by the start of camp. The players only report on Friday. The first practice isn't till Sunday. Now by if they are not signed by Sunday then lets worry alittle.

tony hipchest
07-27-2006, 08:04 PM
i would much rather hear about an ike taylor extension. and maybe reid getting signed for the return game.

while i respect holmes talent and potential ive almost written him off as an integral part of the steelers repeating this year.

i still think everyone will be signed and reporting to camp

NV STEELERS 723
07-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Omar will be 2nd String before the season is over....

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure it will be that quick. As long as Charlie is healthy I feel he will be our #2 this season. I think Jacobs needs to get a solid year or two under his belt before he jumps to #2. Then again I'm not one who feels this guy can walk on water. I feel he will be a good #2 in the future, but not this year.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-27-2006, 10:26 PM
I would like to see them all signed.........I hope reid is another hines ward.....But if not we need holmes signed by the beginning of camp

4n2t0
07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
i would much rather hear about an ike taylor extension. and maybe reid getting signed for the return game.

while i respect holmes talent and potential ive almost written him off as an integral part of the steelers repeating this year.

i still think everyone will be signed and reporting to camp

I agree with the extension for Taylor, he's going to be a good d back! Holmes as an integral part of the Steelers? No, but he's better than both Cedrick "Butterfingers" Wilson and Quincy "No Catch" Morgan (Can return, when he actually holds on to the ball). Holmes will definitely have an impact on the Steelers offence this year, that is if he can stay out of jail.