PDA

View Full Version : Status quo in Pittsburgh; Super Bowl within reach

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Nice article by Jason La Canfora

Nothing much ever changes in Pittsburgh. The Rooneys run the family business seamlessly, same as it has always been, and Steelers coaches and executives are long-tenured and signed for years to come and stability is the rule. Expectations rarely change.

Super Bowl or bust.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19738301/steelers-camp-report-status-quo-in-pittsburgh-super-bowl-within-reach

OX1947
08-06-2012, 09:26 PM
When you have the pedigree the Steelers have, Super Bowl contention is always there. When you have a franchise Qb to boot, you go to Super Bowls. It's just that simple.

GoFor7
08-06-2012, 09:32 PM
CBS seems to be the only media outlet that thinks highly of the Steelers. ESPN, NBC, and NFLN have been sucking Raven knob all offseason. CBS has the Steelers and Bengals competing for the division title with the Ravens taking a step back and missing the playoffs, mostly because of the loss of Suggs. I guess they aren't sold that the best QB ever will offset the loss of Suggs and win shootouts for the Ravens every week. :noidea:

tanda10506
08-07-2012, 03:55 AM
CBS seems to be the only media outlet that thinks highly of the Steelers. ESPN, NBC, and NFLN have been sucking Raven knob all offseason. CBS has the Steelers and Bengals competing for the division title with the Ravens taking a step back and missing the playoffs, mostly because of the loss of Suggs. I guess they aren't sold that the best QB ever will offset the loss of Suggs and win shootouts for the Ravens every week. :noidea:

Yeah NFLN and ESPN are absolutely ridiculous. I was watching a thing on Flacco today and he was 2nd to last in completion percentage last year. Then they were figuring that NEARLY A THIRD of his passes are dump off's and 1-5 yard routes to Ray Rice. The players they lost in FA were active producing players, yet the media acts like the dead weight we cut is some huge loss and that their losses aren't anything to worry about. The O line took a step back and although it may hinder Rice a small amount, it will definitely hinder Flacco, especially if Harrison and Woodley are healthy in both games against us. Flacco's not an on the run play maker. On top of all that, Suggs will be out at least half the season and won't be 100% this year at all even if he returns early. On top of that, we have guys to protect Ben from him and Ngata now. All that yet they are on top, while we improve all our major flaws yet we will be in 3rd unless Trent Richardson has a big year, then we'll be dead last. :jerkit:

Could you imagine the BS in the media if Troy Polamalu was 37 and was asked to drop weight in an effort to still be competitive? Their's nobody on the edges of that front 7, Lewis is older and slower and will be bearing the brunt, and Ngata (against us at least) will be neutralized by our strong interior O line. But if you watch NFLN all you would know is that the young Ravens team is ready to win a SB and the playoff loses in previous years are just building blocks and are no indication of how the team performs under the peak of pressure.

ricardisimo
08-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Pete Prisco at CBS loves nothing more than sucking off the Bengals, which is like some sort of mental disorder, right? So that half of the equation is a given, year-in and year-out. That he picks the Steelers to do well should be taken more like a jinx than praise. Beware.

wera176
08-07-2012, 06:05 AM
Did he get Dwyer and Redman confused? I don't recall Dwyer having a 100 yard game, and I'm not sure I've ever heard him referred to as a sledgehammer?

Although I've not had coffee yet this morning, so maybe I'm confused....

:coffee: <---- I need this!

Steel_Bus_24
08-07-2012, 06:21 AM
We have to stay healthy

steelfury02
08-07-2012, 07:10 AM
I love how no one has mentioned the idea of the Ravens going up against a new offense for the first time either - 1 that is less predictable, and will play to our strengths.

I will give Flacco some credit - he has been through some big battles and doesn't have the deer in the headlight look he has had before - I just don't think he is the QB to put a team on his shoulders

Some Ravens fans are starting to say Flacco is the next Eli, I think Eli has shown a lot more heroics under pressure to this point, has about 4 more season under his belt, and has 2 rings to his name. If Flacco had better receivers outside of Smith, then I think they would have won a SB already.

They are def not the team of last season - to me, they got what they wanted in a top seed, and they pissed it away - that was their last chance together IMHO

GoFor7
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Could you imagine the BS in the media if Troy Polamalu was 37 and was asked to drop weight in an effort to still be competitive? Their's nobody on the edges of that front 7, Lewis is older and slower and will be bearing the brunt, and Ngata (against us at least) will be neutralized by our strong interior O line. But if you watch NFLN all you would know is that the young Ravens team is ready to win a SB and the playoff loses in previous years are just building blocks and are no indication of how the team performs under the peak of pressure.

I was watching ESPN when the news came out that Ray-Ray reported to camp lighter and all their "experts" said something along the lines of "Now he's going to be able to cover guys like Gronkowski!"

I wonder how a lighter Ray-Ray helps their already Sugg-less pass rush and run defense?

teegre
08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Did he get Dwyer and Redman confused? I don't recall Dwyer having a 100 yard game, and I'm not sure I've ever heard him referred to as a sledgehammer?

Although I've not had coffee yet this morning, so maybe I'm confused....

:coffee: <---- I need this!

He had that one game (TENN) where he had a 70 yard run (on the first carry of his career)... and then, eventually, eclipsed 100 yards.

But, you are right: it was not like he was Redman: getting 100 yards as a starting RB (in a play-off game) and/or getting a significant number of carries.

steelfury02
08-07-2012, 10:51 AM
You think they're in love with the Ravens now? Wait until Lewis' seizuring-entrance dance . . .

Steel Peon
08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
At the very least, we should be trying to knock the snot out of the Ratbirds, 1 game minimum. 2 would be nice, but if anything would redeem this team, that would be it, and the rest will be down hill.

teegre
08-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I was watching NFLN, and everyone's favorite A-hole, Warren Sapp, was saying that the Steelers were no longer "elite". His rationale (get this): "They were a wildcard team." He went on to say that the division winners were elite.

Sooo...a 12-4 wildcard team (who had been to the SuperBowl the year prior) is not as good as an 8-8 division winner. Got it.

That dude is just plain dumb.

steelfury02
08-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Warren should stick to what he knows best:
1. Choking women in public
2. 1 colored jumpsuits
3. Befriending more convicts from "The U"

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/i/p/ipy83v9q2b1riry2.jpg

Fire Arians
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
i think this year's team will be better than last. hell, we had a championship team last year until injuries took over imo

even if wallace is a no-go this year, i feel really good about this year's team. our passing attack will still be one to be reckoned with. AB, sanders, cotch are already a decent squad, but don't forget about heath and rainey (if he's as impressive on the field as reports have been, he'll be a big part of our offense) either

teegre
08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Warren should stick to what he knows best:
1. Choking women in public
2. 1 colored jumpsuits
3. Befriending more convicts from "The U"

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/i/p/ipy83v9q2b1riry2.jpg

4. Bankruptcy.

steelfury02
08-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Bankrupt and still finding the money to buy $10k suits.

LVSteelersfan
08-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Ray Ray is lighter? Cool, DeCastro and Adams should be able to knock the snot out of him on the guard pulling plays. I am so stoked. Can't wait to see the first preseason game Thursday to see how they do. I went on NLF.com and bought their preseason package for $19.99 so I can watch it live. WOO HOO !!!!!

steelfury02
08-07-2012, 02:17 PM
yea but Ray will make the pro-bowl on reputation alone anyways - don't you know he has the most tackles after the play is over ever?

GoFor7
08-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Ray Ray is lighter? Cool, DeCastro and Adams should be able to knock the snot out of him on the guard pulling plays. I am so stoked. Can't wait to see the first preseason game Thursday to see how they do. I went on NLF.com and bought their preseason package for $19.99 so I can watch it live. WOO HOO !!!!!

Yes, Ray-Ray lost weight because the NFL has evolved into a passing league and he wants to "change with the game." It might help him some in coverage. But how will it help him stopping the run? How will it help the Suggs-less pass rush?

FrancoLambert
08-07-2012, 03:27 PM
i think this year's team will be better than last. hell, we had a championship team last year until injuries took over imo

even if wallace is a no-go this year, i feel really good about this year's team. our passing attack will still be one to be reckoned with. AB, sanders, cotch are already a decent squad, but don't forget about heath and rainey (if he's as impressive on the field as reports have been, he'll be a big part of our offense) either

Couldn't agree with you more.
Throw in Haley's contributions (game planning, play calling, exploiting mismatches), better O-line play, substantial contributions from Heyward and Hood, and hopefully a few surprises (Rainey as mentioned, improved CB play), we could sneak up on some.
I like the fact that many are forecasting a decline for the Steelers.
It provides an nice mental edge.

steelfury02
08-07-2012, 03:45 PM
3 guys I've ever cared about when facing the Ravens

Rice
Ngata
Suggs

You can take Suggs off that list this season and replace him with Torrey Smith's big play capability.

tanda10506
08-07-2012, 05:09 PM
You can take Suggs off that list this season and replace him with Torrey Smith's big play capability.

Agreed. This year I don't think Ngata will be a problem if both our Guards play well. I will admit I'm a bit worried about the negative reports about DeCastro, but I'm confident they will get him on the right page and he will be a major factor in neutralizing Ngata. Ray Rice will always need to be worried about, nothing you can do there. But Smith probably would be the next on my list too, I think this year we might need to put Ike on him and see if our #2 can hang with an older Boldin.

As for the new offense being a "surprise", that might end up being a bigger deal then most think. We have been running the same plays from the same formations for years and the Ravens have been able to continue to find ways to beat it over and over again since it stays the same. But it took them years to really get past us like they did this year, and that was after years of planning against the same offense. Baltimore will still have a pretty good defense this year and I don't think the "surprise" of the new offense will catch them really off guard and blow them out, but hopefully it will be one that is constantly changing so that the Ravens can't continue to try plays against our same formations year after year until one works.

TheDude
08-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Balt got old....QUICK

As long as Ben outplays the Unibrow...the ravens wont be a problem

fastscirocco
08-07-2012, 05:35 PM
I would prefer NONE of the media outlets thought the Steelers had a chance. Just push through the season
with an "average" win/loss ratio and hit their stride as they enter the playoffs.

steelfury02
08-07-2012, 09:49 PM
our Steelers always play better as the underdog anyways but we need to get home playoff games - they always seem to have that extra heroic gear at home that propels them to the big show . . .

Harley Quinn
08-10-2012, 11:23 AM
I was watching NFLN, and everyone's favorite A-hole, Warren Sapp, was saying that the Steelers were no longer "elite". His rationale (get this): "They were a wildcard team." He went on to say that the division winners were elite.

Sooo...a 12-4 wildcard team (who had been to the SuperBowl the year prior) is not as good as an 8-8 division winner. Got it.

That dude is just plain dumb.

Considering he's currently hocking Jordan's on the open market for lunch money his opinion is moot as is his existence.

teegre
08-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Considering he's currently hocking Jordan's on the open market for lunch money his opinion is moot as is his existence.

Indeed.  

I just don't get how NFLN can employ an analyst who is so obviously biased.  I know that that is his schtick... but, every time he speaks, no one takes him seriously  (not just Steelers fans).  It makes their presentation second rate.  At least when other networks rip the Steelers, they point out actual facts (BB's ankle, question marks at the third CB spot)... as opposed to "obvious" vitriol.  

As you said: his comments are moot... which is why I (& many others) prefer ESPN.