PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Reach Agreement with Reid

83-Steelers-43
07-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Steelers extend Colbert's contract
Third-round pick Reid also reaches agreement
Friday, July 28, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers signed one of their top people yesterday, and have just one rookie left without a contract heading to training camp in Latrobe this evening.

Kevin Colbert, the club's director of football operations the past six seasons, will stay in that job at least another five after he signed a four-year contract extension through 2010 yesterday.

The Steelers also reached an agreement with third-round pick Willie Reid on a three-year contract, which he is expected to sign today and report to training camp on time.

Rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs yesterday officially signed the three-year contract that was completed two days ago. Jacobs' deal includes a $115,000 signing bonus and annual salaries of $275,000, $360,000 and $445,000.

That leaves receiver Santonio Holmes, the team's first-round draft choice, as the only rookie who has not come to a contract agreement approaching the Steelers' 6 p.m. reporting time today at St. Vincent College.

Agent Joel Segal and Steelers chief negotiator Omar Khan are discussing a five-year contract for Holmes, the longest he can receive under rules of the NFL's new collective bargaining agreement. Also, because of the new CBA that was implemented in March, the team cannot insert any language in the contract that would cancel part or all of his signing bonus if he were to be arrested again. Holmes has been arrested twice since he was drafted.

Colbert, 49, joined the Steelers in 2000, leaving the Detroit Lions, where he was their pro scouting director for 10 years. He is a Pittsburgh native and a graduate of North Catholic High School and Robert Morris College.

"We are very pleased to have Kevin continue as an important member of our front office for years to come," said Steelers president Art Rooney II in a statement. "Obviously, he has played a vital role in our success over the past several years, including the Super Bowl title last season."

Colbert is in charge of the team's football operations, all player personnel and scouting decisions.

"I'm very thankful for the opportunity to remain with the Pittsburgh Steelers," said Colbert in a statement. "My family and I are very fortunate to be a part of such a special organization."

Before joining the Lions, he spent one season (1984) with the BLESTO Scouting Service and five years as a college scout with the Miami Dolphins (1985-89).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06209/709243-66.stm

Haiku_Dirtt
07-28-2006, 02:55 AM
K.C. stays. Brilliant. Omar Jacobs may begin to sound very thrifty if he moves ahead of Batch. Very Thrifty.

Reid in. No shocker.

I read somewhere that Holmes will sign. He probably wants to be the last to sign being that he IS the first rounder.

Again no shocker. Dude. Seek counseling. If you won't takes Ben's calls then...WTF!

HometownGal
07-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I"m very happy to see that Willie Reid has signed. I really think this young man is a diamond in the rough and is going to be one hell of an asset to the team. Kudos to Kevin Colbert too - he's done an outstanding job and doesn't get the praise he is due. :cool:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2006, 09:30 AM
I"m very happy to see that Willie Reid has signed. I really think this young man is a diamond in the rough and is going to be one hell of an asset to the team. Kudos to Kevin Colbert too - he's done an outstanding job and doesn't get the praise he is due. :cool:

I'm with you all the way on Willie Reid. We know he is a very good punt returner. Since he broke some of Deion "Prime Time" Sander's records at Florida State for punt returning. Now if he can learn the WR position. He could prove to be the steal of the 2006 draft. Plus here is an interesting fact about Reid. He started out at Florida State as a RB. So he has some RB skills. I wonder what kind of tricks the Steelers can come up for Reid. Bottom line the kid has some talent and skills.

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm with all the way on Willie Reid. We know he is a very good punt returner. Since he broke some of Deion "Prime Time" Sander's records at Florida State for punt returning. Now if he can learn the WR position. He could prove to be the steal of the 2006 draft. Plus here is an interesting fact about Reid. He started out at Florida State as a RB. So he has some RB skills. I wonder what kind of tricks the Steelers can come up for Reid. Bottom line the kid has some talent and skills.

As always, good points and facts. It's nice to see us get this kid locked up and ready for camp. Work on his WR skills and he could bloom into something special in the long run.

Would be nice to see him involved in a few reverses this season. Speed kills. :bouncy:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2006, 10:08 AM
As always, good points and facts. It's nice to see us get this kid locked up and ready for camp. Work on his WR skills and he could bloom into something special in the long run.

Would be nice to see him involved in a few reverses this season. Speed kills. :bouncy:

I agree speed kills. Thats why I loved this past draft. If Holmes can prove to stay out of trouble and Reid develops his game as a reciever. The Steelers will have some serious speed overall on offense in the future. Could you imagine a defense worrying about Holmes, Reid and Willie Parker all on the field at the same time. The thought just brings a smile to my face.:bouncy:

tony hipchest
07-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Could you imagine a defense worrying about Holmes, Reid and Willie Parker all on the field at the same time. The thought just brings a smile to my face.:bouncy:...clearing the middle for a wide open heath and hines, with a healthy, more accurate and mature ben picking his spots? could be deadly. i think the days of seeing a steady diet of 8-10 defenders in the box will soon come to an end.

SteelerFanInCA
07-28-2006, 10:18 AM
I agree speed kills. Thats why I loved this past draft. If Holmes can prove to stay out of trouble and Reid develops his game as a reciever. The Steelers will have some serious speed overall on offense in the future. Could you imagine a defense worrying about Holmes, Reid and Willie Parker all on the field at the same time. The thought just brings a smile to my face.:bouncy:
All that speed will bring chills to my body. It's going to be an awesome thing to watch.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2006, 10:28 AM
...clearing the middle for a wide open heath and hines, with a healthy, more accurate and mature ben picking his spots? could be deadly. i think the days of seeing a steady diet of 8-10 defenders in the box will soon come to an end.

Hell yea Tony, I agree man. This added speed will make life alot easier for Hines and Heath. Plus just the threat of Santonio's and Willie's speed on the outside will take those extra defenders out of the box for Willie Parker. The Steelers are the champs and loaded to make a run at more titles. Life is grand.:bouncy:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2006, 10:30 AM
All that speed will bring chills to my body. It's going to be an awesome thing to watch.

Its going to excitng and very fun for us Steelers fans the next five or so years. The Steelers offense has the potential to very dangerous. The key is Ben and having no set backs from his accident. I think he will be fine. But you just don't know.

SteelerFanInCA
07-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Its going to excitng and very fun for us Steelers fans the next five or so years. The Steelers offense has the potential to very dangerous. The key is Ben and having no set backs from his accident. I think he will be fine. But you just don't know.
Agreed. I can't tell you the last time I was this excited about Steelers football. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and every thing just clicks on the field. I think Ben will just end up proving people wrong again. He's a tough cookie.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Agreed. I can't tell you the last time I was this excited about Steelers football. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and every thing just clicks on the field. I think Ben will just end up proving people wrong again. He's a tough cookie.

I agree that Ben will prove all the doubters wrong. He has been doing that ever since being drafted. The talk at first that he would be a bust due to the talent he faced playing in the Mac conference. Then when he a very good rookie year and the Steelers ended up with a 15-1 record. Some said it was a fluke. Then Ben goes out in 2005 after having a horrible preseason to have a very good year and stepping up his game in the playoffs. I just want to see Ben take that first hit and see how he responds. I think he will be fine. But there is still some questions remaining.

TasmanianTroy271
07-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Then Ben goes out in 2005 after having a horrible preseason to have a very good year and stepping up his game in the playoffs.

Oh god, Does anyone remember the preseason? That was a very tense time, as I recall. It'd be funny to dig up some of those topics and see all the people who doubted Ben. I know I did for a short amount of time.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
What is great is that even with all that speed...teams better not start labeling our offence as "finesse". Otherwise they will regain consciousness with a smiling Hines Ward looking down at them...or the backside of Duce as he shoulders to a touchdown!!!!

Atlanta Dan
07-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh god, Does anyone remember the preseason? That was a very tense time, as I recall. It'd be funny to dig up some of those topics and see all the people who doubted Ben. I know I did for a short amount of time.

Yeah - I remember before the Titans game to start the regular season last year that Ed.B. from the Post-Gazette noted that several coaches were "very concerned" about Ben after the abysmal 2005 pre-season and that, given Tommy Turnover's tremendous training camp, it might not be long before Maddox became the starter.

Did not quite turn out that way :)

BBC
07-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah - I remember before the Titans game to start the regular season last year that Ed.B. from the Post-Gazette noted that several coaches were "very concerned" about Ben after the abysmal 2005 pre-season and that, given Tommy Turnover's tremendous training camp, it might not be long before Maddox became the starter.

Did not quite turn out that way :)

Don't forget that without Bettis and Staley we'll have no way to move the ball on the ground. I enjoyed hearing that one going into the Titans game.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2006, 02:00 PM
The number of unsigned first round picks is staggering but that seems to be the trend lately..nobody wants to sign and set the market value for the rest so everybody waits and waits. Props to Colbert and the team for getting all but Santonio signed and in camp on time... now its your turn Holmes, get your john han**** on the paper and get your ass into camp bro! we need you !

BBC
07-28-2006, 02:20 PM
we need you !

Do we? I'd say we're just fine with Hines, Cedrick, Quincy, and Nate. I'd really rather not have a criminal on our team, espeically thanks to the new CBA that won't allow a team to put an arrest clause in the contract. I don't mind if he get's signed or not, but I wouldn't say we need him.

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2006, 03:05 PM
He's officially signed.............

Steelers Sign Third-Round Wide Receiver Willie Reid

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers announced they have agreed to terms with their second of two third-round picks, wide receiver Willie Reid. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Reid (5-10, 186) was the 95th overall selection in the 2006 NFL Draft. Safety Anthony Smith, who signed a contract earlier this week, was the Steelers' other third-round pick.

Reid hauled in 91 receptions for 1,046 yards (11.5 avg.) and three touchdowns in his career at Florida State. He also carried the ball 53 times for 309 yards (5.8 avg.) and three scores, adding 304 yards on 16 kickoff returns (19.0 avg.).

Reid holds the Seminole career record with a 15.4-yard average on punt returns as he finished with 69 punt returns for 1,063 yards and three touchdowns. He is the only player in ACC history to have gained over 500 yards in punt returns twice in a career, including 522 in 2004 and 541 last season. Reid's 180 yards on punt returns versus Penn State in the 2006 Orange Bowl set a conference record.

http://news.steelers.com/article/66192/

Atlanta Dan
07-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Do we? I'd say we're just fine with Hines, Cedrick, Quincy, and Nate. I'd really rather not have a criminal on our team, espeically thanks to the new CBA that won't allow a team to put an arrest clause in the contract. I don't mind if he get's signed or not, but I wouldn't say we need him.

The provision in the CBA that provides you cannot lose a part of your bonus if you are arrested caught my eye too. Listening to that point being debated during the negotiations probably had its amusing moments.

Seems to me you could at least limit it to arrests for petty offenses. How preventing a NFL team from docking someone's bonus after they have been arrested for a felony advances "workers rights" completely escapes me.

As far as needing Holmes, the WR corps needs some deep speed and I thought that was why the Steelers traded up to grab Holmes. If he is a no show today then he is digging a deeper hole for himself.

BBC
07-28-2006, 05:42 PM
The provision in the CBA that provides you cannot lose a part of your bonus if you are arrested caught my eye too. Listening to that point being debated during the negotiations probably had its amusing moments.

Seems to me you could at least limit it to arrests for petty offenses. How preventing a NFL team from docking someone's bonus after they have been arrested for a felony advances "workers rights" completely escapes me.

As far as needing Holmes, the WR corps needs some deep speed and I thought that was why the Steelers traded up to grab Holmes. If he is a no show today then he is digging a deeper hole for himself.

ESPN has reported that the Steelers and Santonio have agreed to a 5 year deal...

Steelers | S. Holmes agrees to terms on five-year deal
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:30:30 -0700

ESPNews reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms on a five-year deal with first-round pick WR Santonio Holmes. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

We could use his speed out there, but I wouldn't say we need it.

Prosdo
07-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Glad to get Reid signed. I'm very excited to see what this guy can do.