PDA

View Full Version : Recapping the Steelers' 24-23 loss to the Eagles

Steelersfan87
08-10-2012, 01:04 AM
This is my first attempt at recapping a game since I started writing, and it's long, so bear with me. I actually sat down and watched the game (on a crappy feed) with a pen and notebook and took notes on just about every play. Of course, you miss a ton of things watching it once, but I think I was able to take note of a lot of things.

Recapping the Steelers' 24-23 loss to the Eagles (http://www.examiner.com/article/recapping-the-steelers-24-23-loss-to-the-eagles-part-1) Please click the link to see the full article. It's in 3 parts. The slideshows also include pictures from the game.

The Pittsburgh Steelers opened up their preseason schedule tonight against the Philadelphia Eagles, but the success of this first venture is not the type to be decided by wins and losses. In the preseason, what matters first and foremost is health. Secondary to that is execution and situational role playing.

To that end, there were a few injuries of note during the game, unfortunately, the most severe appearing to be to fullback/tight end David Johnson, who had right tackle Marcus Gilbert fall on his right knee. It did not appear at the time that he was able to put any weight on the knee, and he may be out for the entire season with a torn ACL.

Rookie left tackle Mike Adams also suffered a less severe right knee injury, who left the game near the start of the 2nd quarter after struggling in his NFL debut. Running back Jonathan Dwyer also suffered an AC shoulder sprain. It would be difficult to consider this game a success if the Steelers have indeed lost David Johnson for the season and if Mike Adamsí progress is set back significantly due to his injury.

The following are my own observations on the game.

The Steelers lost the game 23-24 on a last minute 51 yard field goal, but the loss is meaningless in the long run. The Steelers went into the locker room at halftime with a 13-0 lead on scoring drives led by Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich.

To recap the game, the Steelers opened with a 16 play, nearly 10 minute drive that ultimately led to a 46 yard Shaun Suisham field goal. Some of the new features of the Todd Haley offense were apparent immediately with a significant amount of quick release passes to running backs and tight ends.

Included on that drive was a vintage Ben Roethlisberger scramble on 3rd and 11 that led to an across the field completion to wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders for the first down. Big Ben was sacked twice on the drive, once when Adams failed to get his hands on the edge rusher and again four plays later when left guard Ramon Foster was late out of his stance. The Steelers were 2 for 4 on 3rd down and 1 for 1 on 4th down on the drive.

Rookie 1st round guard David DeCastro overall had an impressive debut, earning few demerits. He was able to pull block several times with success, and had very few mental errors. He was slightly out-manned physically at the goal line, but it was still an impressive debut while playing with the first team offense.

tony hipchest
08-10-2012, 02:06 AM
good job. ive been doing nightly recaps for our local indy league baseball team and know it can be very taxing (especially going to every home game w/o taking notes and writing a synopsis with nothing but a margarita buzz and box scores at midnight on a weekday).

pete74
08-10-2012, 05:38 AM
nice read. good job

jiminpa
08-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Not so long as you think, and well written. Good perspective.

steelfury02
08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
WTF:

A. Our O-linemen inevitably fall victim to injury
B. Not only do they go down, but they tend to injure others in the process of just trying to stay upright. What the heck IS IT WITH THESE GUYS. It really is ridiculous how often this is happening.

Stangboy06
08-10-2012, 12:31 PM
but on first and goal 3 running plays up the middle and an incomplete pass so much for a new O coordinator
same great play calling as last year

Steel_Bus_24
08-10-2012, 12:37 PM
WTF:

A. Our O-linemen inevitably fall victim to injury
B. Not only do they go down, but they tend to injure others in the process of just trying to stay upright. What the heck IS IT WITH THESE GUYS. It really is ridiculous how often this is happening.

Yeah its some BS.....I was hoping we'd at least get 2 games, preferably Games #2 and #3, of

Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

But here we go again with the names flipping like a slot machine

lotas
08-10-2012, 12:48 PM
but on first and goal 3 running plays up the middle and an incomplete pass so much for a new O coordinator

Whoa there turbo. Not only is it ridiculous to generalize the entire "play calling" on one goal line series, but hell yes you should be running at the goal line, and you should be pounding it through even when the defense knows its coming. Do you know how many times we did that with Bettis? He had 90- something TD's for a reason.

Haley has said his philosophy offensively is he wants to be able to run with success when the opposing team knows it's coming. So of course he's going to run in that situation, and hopefully, by the start of the season, we'll be able to.

Curtain_of_Steel
08-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Hey now, we have perfected the game winning score prevent defense stance. That worked precisely as it should.

Rainey looked really good though.

First team except Adams played well. Eagles starters were inept and couldn't do anything and played a couple series to our 1. Sitting in the stands the fans were already yelling at their players from the first snap.

Fire Arians
08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
First team except Adams played well. .

i thought foster was the worst tbh

Steelersfan87
08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Gilbert was even worse than Foster. Foster was driven back several times in pass protection, but so was Gilbert, and he also missed a couple of cut blocks and allowed a sack. Foster tends to struggle in the preseason I've noticed though. He looked really bad in the preseason last year, but he had a steady season.

Bayz101
08-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Gilbert better get his shit together.

dreegking
08-10-2012, 04:16 PM
One month for the oline to put it together. Good thing for 31 days. I think they need every day. But I also have great faith this year.

I do worry a tonne about Colon and his ability to stay healthy. I think as he goes this year, so does the line.

I think DeCastro will be the man at RG, and only get better and better. It helps his cause, that Foster has the ability to play himself off a starters spot on any given day.

tanda10506
08-10-2012, 05:25 PM
As for the O line, I'm not to worried about Gilbert and Foster. They have both started quite a few real games and we know what to expect out of them. I was looking for improvement from Gilbert this year, big improvement since he didn't have to worry about switching to LT, but I'm not going to worry about 1 bad preseason game. Foster, well I expect some decent pass blocking "most" of the time from him and that's about it. He was exceptionally bad tonight, but he's played a lot better when it counts, IMO, no need to worry. I was watching a bit of everything so I didn't notice DeCastro too much. He made a good run block and I didn't see ANY mistakes (correct me if I messed something), and for a rookie in his first NFL preseason game that's pretty good. Wasn't too impressed with ANY of our O lineman. As I said, DeCastro did well, but not impressive. The rest of them played poorly (Pouncey barely played at all). Beachum didn't look good. No Colon. Adams did ok, the plays he gave up weren't really his fault and he did good overall. Big question is, what's the situation on his injury? I would think that he wouldn't be ready for Week 1 if he doesn't at least play 2 preseason games. If I took a lot from preseason I might be a bit worried. But not only was this preseason, Colon was out and Pouncey barely played, that's a big difference especially when 2 guys on the O line are just learning. Overall, I'm just worried about the injuries, seems like our O lineman are injury prone over the last couple of years, and Adams needs to be a key piece of this line.

Not sure if your trolling or what. We want to be able to run it 3 times in "and goal" situations and get it in. It's preseason might as well practice it. You need in game practice to really test out new plays, but on the other hand, you would be foolish to reveal your new offense in preseason. If the game don't matter and the first team isn't in, no reason to reveal any plays, run the ball. IMO, judgement's on Haley should be reserved till at least after a few real games. And there was a peak at a few different plays, 2 passes to D. Johnson that I've rarely seen used, and some different running formations. Also saw Heath lined up wide twice. Give it some time.

TheVet
08-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I watched the game, focusing on the O-line in slow motion. it didn't look like our OTs were ready for Philly's edge-rushing schemes. Gilbert was actually beaten more often than Adams - but his whiffs didn't result in sacks, just a few hurries. I liked Adams awareness and athleticism; he needs to work on his technique, but he'll be fine. Foster was weak at times. Trai Essex was incredibly bad - he was beaten on almost every play. DeCastro turned in a very nice performance, a great relief to me after the little trickles of bad news out of camp!

Overall, I was quite happy with what I saw. We should be fine with a bit more experience for Adams, and some team-specific game preparation for the defensive schemes, with Colon back and Foster on the bench. Gilbert was my only big worry, because I thought he was much better than that late last year. I'd like to see Foster improve, because he's still young, but I'm used to mild disappointment there. Essex is just doing what he always does; getting in shape didn't seem to help much.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot: Beechum was the biggest disappointment of all. But it's only one game, his first preseason game. There's plenty of time for him to improve.

FrancoLambert
08-10-2012, 09:09 PM
You guys are doing a great job of shattering my dream for an improved O-line this year.
Essex and Foster are simply backups at best. Too inconsistent as starters and they've been here long enough to know the system. They should be demonstrating more development by now.
Gilbert's got me worried. Expected development, obviously no one saw it.
I'm not concerned with DeCastro, he'll be ready to go by September.
Apparently, Adams did OK, had some good and bad moments.
Beachum didn't do so well, if reports are accurate.
Colon's health.......Max on PUP list.......yeesh! My dream may be a mirage.

Hawaii 5-0
08-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Apparently, Adams did OK, had some good and bad moments.

I wouldn't say Adams did okay, allowing 2 sacks against the Eagles' 2nd string DE was not a good debut.

he is going to need to improve a lot if he is going to start Week 1 in Denver against Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller.

Twentyvalve
08-11-2012, 12:20 AM
We all realize that we had them beat pretty well before the starters were pulled? Had it been a real game, as the pace of the game was going, we would have won decidedly? The Steelers did not play the Browns in preseason, they played a playoff worthy team.

Common' now. Our first team killed their firs team. When we look at our competitors, the Ravens, they looked like crap. Not really meaningful at this point for preseason, but it is better than being on the other end of the stick.

Twentyvalve
08-11-2012, 12:21 AM
He had two fumble recoveries!

I wouldn't say Adams did okay, allowing 2 sacks against the Eagles' 2nd string DE was not a good debut.

he is going to need to improve a lot if he is going to start Week 1 in Denver against Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller.

Hawaii 5-0
08-11-2012, 01:31 AM
He had two fumble recoveries!

great point! :drink:

except he hurt his right knee making the second recovery and now may miss a couple of weeks of practice while rehabbing and thus costing himself any chance of starting in Week 1.

once again, it looks like it will be Max Starks to the rescue at LT...

Steelersfan87
08-11-2012, 02:37 AM
Regarding Gilbert and Foster, I'm not worried about their first preseason appearance. As I said earlier, Foster had a bad preseason last year, but was arguably the second best (and most consistent) lineman during the season, and improved as the year went on. I honestly wouldn't have been punching walls if Foster were a starter this year. As far as Gilbert goes, I've just seen him play well too much to expect him to have truly regressed this way. I trust they'll both get back into the rhythm of games in the coming weeks.

Stangboy06
08-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Whoa there turbo. Not only is it ridiculous to generalize the entire "play calling" on one goal line series, but hell yes you should be running at the goal line, and you should be pounding it through even when the defense knows its coming. Do you know how many times we did that with Bettis? He had 90- something TD's for a reason.

Haley has said his philosophy offensively is he wants to be able to run with success when the opposing team knows it's coming. So of course he's going to run in that situation, and hopefully, by the start of the season, we'll be able to.

well Eisenstein we don't have Bettis and haven't for 7 years

Bayz101
08-15-2012, 05:48 PM
well Eisenstein we don't have Bettis and haven't for 7 years

Exactly. It doesn't matter WHAT we do at the goal line, all that matters is we get seven. The only back we have that mirrors Bettis in a way is Clay, but that doesn't mean he's a redzone back. I'm all in favor of passing it in.