PDA

View Full Version : Ike

LayingTheWoodley56
08-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I was just randomly watching a highlight tape on Ike Taylor (link at the bottom of the page) and it struck me that he has made some seriously big plays for us over the years. I know that he dropped the ball (no pun intended with Ike's notorious catching issues) against Denver last year but I think we all knew that the 2011 Steelers weren't cut from a Super Bowl cloth. I think he has been an unsung key cog of this defense since he was drafted. All you need to do is look back on his interception in Super Bowl XL (even though I know Hasselbeck threw it directly to him) and the fumble he forced against the Jets that led to our third TD in the '10 AFC title game, a score which turned out to be huge. Basically, I'm just trying to show my boy 2-4 some love :tt02:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iB99buS9IQ

BIGNASTY91
08-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I couldnt agree with you more. Alot of people only see the "mistakes" hes had and never tend to focus on what he has done for this team!!! :tt03::tt03:

tony hipchest
08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I couldnt agree with you more. Alot of people only see the "mistakes" hes had and never tend to focus on what he has done for this team!!! :tt03::tt03:

all that really matters is that the owner has got his back.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/ikeanddanrooney.jpg

Steelerfreak58
08-11-2012, 12:59 PM
CBs never get any attention until they make a mistake. They can play lots of games and shut down people and announcers wont say much, writers wont write much. One mistake though that lets some points up on the board and they instantly become a target.

Ike has been solid for a long time now, one of the best.

sluggermatt15
08-11-2012, 02:21 PM
CBs never get any attention until they make a mistake. They can play lots of games and shut down people and announcers wont say much, writers wont write much. One mistake though that lets some points up on the board and they instantly become a target.

Ike has been solid for a long time now, one of the best.

Very good point. Fans and the media get ALL OVER corners when they get burned on a long TD or a missed assignment, etc. You have to credit Taylor though. He's been with the Steelers for around (over?) 10 years now. He has to be doing SOMETHING right. I don't see why getting rid of him would help. It wouldn't. Ike's a veteran who NEEDS to help out the youth.

GoFor7
08-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Who says old people can't have swag?

FrancoLambert
08-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Ike is solid, we're lucky to have him.
Project the panic (legitimate) from us that would set in if he got seriously hurt.

EbonySteel86
08-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Ike is one of the best CB's the Steelers ever had. Some of the top WR's in the league will tell u this. I listen to them over the media.

GoFor7
08-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Ike is underrated because he has stonehands. If he caught the ball more often when he has the chance I think he'd get more respect. Certainly one of the best shutdown corners in the NFL, no doubt.

Myounger55
08-11-2012, 05:01 PM
He's also a great example of how to pick up your lunch box and go to work for these younger CB's. You would be hard pressed to find ANY CB in the league in better shape all year round.

stb_steeler
08-11-2012, 05:17 PM

Damn Rooney got short.......:toofunny:

GMU Steeler
08-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Heh that's an awesome photo of Ike and Mr. Rooney. If I am not mistaken, I've read interviews with Ike where he's stated that Mr. Rooney and him have a strong relationship almost like a grandfather and grandson. I know Willie Parker always loved the Rooneys after they kept their word and picked up him as a UDFA after seeing him at UNC. Anyhow, I agree with the OP. Ike's good to have. He doesn't get the picks but he's a very good cover CB which is what you want in our D.

lotas
08-12-2012, 07:57 AM
And in his 9 or so years how many times has he had a serious injury? The man stays healthy and consistent and that's a very valuable asset in a player that easily goes unnoticed.

I also feel like he has continually gotten better and improved his play since he started.

LVSteelersfan
08-12-2012, 11:02 AM
I like Ike. Hey, that has a ring to it. ; )

fastscirocco
08-12-2012, 03:09 PM
I like Ike. Hey, that has a ring to it. ; )

You should sell t-shirts!

http://inspectionsticker.net/images/1956%20I%20Like%20Ike.jpg

Atlanta Dan
08-12-2012, 06:55 PM
I like Ike.

Not everyone does:chuckle:

For the second time at training camp, wide receiver Antonio Brown and cornerback Ike Taylor were involved in a fight during practice.

But this one didn't stop there.

After practice ended at St. Vincent College, Taylor went after Brown in the middle of the field and the players had to be separated by, among others, general manager Kevin Colbert.

Coach Mike Tomlin tried to dismiss the altercation by saying, "We're competitors ... those things happen," but this went beyond the normal training-camp tussle.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/brown-and-taylor-get-chippy-near-end-of-steelers-practice-648737/

Hopefully Colbert does not go on IR after getting in the middle of the tussle:chuckle:

http://www.himandus.net/elefunteria/media/media_adv/adv_collaterals/adv_coll_34_political_ike.jpg

teegre
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Ike sees Dan Rooney as a mentor (or more)... like the following paraphrased story. †

During practice one day, Dan is talking to Ike, and notices that Ike is worn out. †They are talking about things, namely Ike's newborn baby (& how the baby was keeping Ike up at night). †

Dan reminisced about his days of having a baby in the house... and offered for Ike to take a nap on the couch in his office. †

Ike napped. †Dan moved his work into the cafeteria for a few hours. †And, Ike NEVER forgot how much it showed that Dan truly cared about him. †

Ike loves Dan... and Dan loves Ike. †

Lastly, Dan has told Ike that once Ike is done playing, Ike would ALWAYS have a job in the Steelers organization. †

The bond between them is huge. †

tony hipchest
08-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Ike sees Dan Rooney as a mentor (or more)... like the following paraphrased story. †

During practice one day, Dan is talking to Ike, and notices that Ike is worn out. †They are talking about things, namely Ike's newborn baby (& how the baby was keeping Ike up at night). †

Dan reminisced about his days of having a baby in the house... and offered for Ike to take a nap on the couch in his office. †

Ike napped. †Dan moved his work into the cafeteria for a few hours. †And, Ike NEVER forgot how much it showed that Dan truly cared about him. †

Ike loves Dan... and Dan loves Ike. †

Lastly, Dan has told Ike that once Ike is done playing, Ike would ALWAYS have a job in the Steelers organization. †

The bond between them is huge. †ike shared this story on his radio show just last week. Art II came into his fathers office to get some work done. Dan told him that Ike was sleeping and they relocated. the fact that dan would kick his son (and the president of the steelers out of the office so ike could nap definitely left an impression on taylor. their bond is true and i personally think it is one of the coolest player/owner relationships in sports down to their regular fistbumps instead of handshakes.

teegre
08-13-2012, 07:21 PM
ike shared this story on his radio show just last week. Art II came into his fathers office to get some work done. Dan told him that Ike was sleeping and they relocated. the fact that dan would kick his son (and the president of the steelers out of the office so ike could nap definitely left an impression on taylor. their bond is true and i personally think it is one of the coolest player/owner relationships in sports down to their regular fistbumps instead of handshakes.

Exactly. †The purity of their affinity for one another is what makes it so amazing. †

BTW: Ike's avatar for his twitter account... a picture of Dan Rooney. †

steelbelieve
08-14-2012, 10:29 AM

If I had a youngster, interested in playing football, and asking which Steeler they should emulate, I'd immediately point to Ike Taylor. What active Steeler player has been more consistent, more durable, more thoroughly prepared physically year after year to play, and better represented themselves off the field than Ike Taylor?

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor returned to training camp this morning with a shiner under his right eye, the result of a fight with receiver Antonio Brown during practice Sunday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/breakfast-club-steelers-taylor-brown-break-bread-settle-differences-after-sunday-fight-648972/

Not often a WR beats up a DB - don't mess with Antonio Brown:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
08-14-2012, 03:33 PM
i heard it described as a giant egg shaped knot under his eye. Ike is hosting his weekly radio show tonight on trib live radio (avaiable internet content) with special guest antonio brown. should make for great radio!

TribLIVE Radio‏@TribLive_Radio

Live TONIGHT at 9pm @Ike_SwagginU from Geo's on Route 30 with special guest Antonio Brown, listen to them here- http://trib.me/tribradio

Steelersfan87
08-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Mark Kaboly posted a youtube video of him being interviewed where you can see it. Search his twitter timeline for it...it was a couple hours ago.

pancake
08-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I love reading about stories of Ike and Dan's relationship. It just shows that even know it is a business, it can be personal too...

tony hipchest
08-17-2012, 01:41 AM
http://burgh.us/fmh

By Ike Taylor

Published: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 11:53 p.m.
Updated 2 hours ago

Time flies!

As training camp winds down, I like to reflect on the growth and extract all of the positives that arose from the pain and hard work.

I will say that the weather was great, the atmosphere was energizing, the fans were incredible, and my teammates, well, there are no words for how honored and blessed I feel to be surrounded by guys like these.

The camaraderie that we develop as we overcome challenges together can only be described as, well, indescribable.

In all of my years as a Pittsburgh Steeler, I can say, without a doubt, that the 2012 training camp has been the most intense and productive that I have yet to be a part of. I’m impressed beyond words with the young guys and how fast they are developing. It seems like every year the rookies get more and more talented and driven. It’s a great feeling to know that we have so much strength coming in this year to reinforce our squad.

As for me, I have been taking on more of a leadership role with my teammates. I have been a Pittsburgh Steeler for a decade now, and I know this organization as well as anyone.

I know how things need to be done and what is expected of us all. I am a man of few words; I tend to lead by example as I believe there is nothing more productive to a team or an individual than blood, sweat and tears — hard work.

I am somewhat selective with my words, but when I feel they can help, if I see that the team or an individual can use a push or is struggling a bit on or off the field, I want them to know that I am there to help. I feel that has been my strength and significant contribution as a veteran on this team.

As we wind down and get ready to head back to Pittsburgh, I find myself getting excited to get back home and sleep in my own bed. I miss the Pittsburgh summer; it reminds me of being back in my hometown, New Orleans. The energy and carefree atmosphere, people out and about walking their dogs and enjoying the summer, I can’t wait to get back to that.

As the season approaches, each of us starts to shift gears — it’s game time, time to make your mark and prove yourself. This is when all of your hard work during offseason and camp pays off.

I hope you are ready Steeler Nation. We do this all for you!

Don’t forget to check back every Friday throughout the season, and you can keep up with me on Twitter during the week at @Ike_SwagginU. I’ll make sure to post training camp photos for you all.

Hawaii 5-0
08-19-2012, 02:42 AM
Be like Ike: Setting the bar for the Steelers

Posted by Jacob Wallace

Ike Taylor gingerly pressed against the swollen gash under his right eye and grimaced.

The 32-year-old Steelers cornerback wasnít upset though. Heíd recently fielded a punch while engaged in another fight with close friend and teammate Antonio Brown, their second of a training camp seemingly more ferocious than usual, and once again theyíd both played it off as merely a product of their competitive personalities.

Even with the respected captains of the team stepping in to diffuse the situation, for all the speculation regarding the possible cause of their disputes during practices, neither man would offer an explanation, saying they were on good terms with each other.

A band of brothers, said Brown. Nothing personal.

Brothers get into it, said Taylor. Thatís how it is.

Perhaps Taylor was being emphatic.

Heís been a rock for a vaunted and storied Pittsburgh defensive unit in this modern era of the forward pass. Itís a quarterback-friendly, pass-happy league now, creating a greater demand for defensive backs to keep pace with the influx of wide-open offenses catered toward multi-receiver sets. And few have stepped up to the challenge the way Ike Taylor has.

Now entering his 10th NFL season, Taylor climbed the ladder from special teamer to shutdown corner with little flash or frill, only hard work, determination, and solid performance. The main knock on his skill set is having hands of stone, notching only 13 interceptions in 9 years. But those looking for the splash plays miss the point.

Heís a gamer. He gets assigned the opposing teamís best receiver and told to hold him in check, a task heís completed efficiently time and again. Ask Chad Johnson for the gritty details. What Taylor lacks in splashiness and accolades, he makes up for with consistency, serving as the unheralded anchor in a secondary that includes All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu, having posted well over 100 consecutive games played through the 2011 season and playoffs, and hasnít missed a game since 2004.

And more recently, with the departures of the much-maligned William Gay, and oft-injured Bryant McFadden, itís up to Taylor to not only again be an anchor but also a guiding light to the trio of young guns battling for the No. 2 spot. On a team laden with knowledgeable veterans who enjoy the process of taking the young hopefuls under their wings, itís Taylor who will be the example to guys like Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, and Curtis Brown. Itíll be up to him to model the Pittsburgh standard at cornerback for them.

Theyíre all guys like he himself once was: a big, strong, fast, extremely raw talent. They have a combined five years of mostly special teams experience and only one official start between them, yet one of them is likely going to be called upon to man the left corner spot opposite Taylor and another for the nickel slot when the 2012 season starts.

Keenan Lewis, entering his 4th year, has the most experience, including that one lonely start, and seems to have the inside track toward nabbing the starting job. But Lewis knows if he looks over his shoulder, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown, even with their limited playing time, are right there behind him ready to snatch it from his grasp. Theyíre all young, hungry, ready for their big break. And theyíre watching the in-house veteran of their craft, observing, dissecting his every movement, his every step.

Ike Taylor knows it too. And perhaps in his own way heís embraced it. Fire is started by friction, and maybe he got a little carried away, but to those young men watching him so closely, he sent a subtle, slightly skewed message addressed to Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, and Curtis Brown from that vacant No. 2 spot: To be a brother, you gotta fight. For yourself. For each other.

Thatís how it is.

http://thepenaltyflagblog.com/ike-setting-bar-steelers

steelfury02
08-20-2012, 03:13 PM
that was some good feelings down on paper by Ike - that's what it means to be a part of Steeler Nation

Sniff, gettin all emotional . . .