PDA

View Full Version : Mike Adams Injury Update

GoFor7
08-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

#steelers OT Adams says he will be back soon. R knee hurt in game. Wont say what it is but said it wont keep him out 2 weeks

This will likely set him back some. Hopefully Starks will be ready to go soon.

ricardisimo
08-11-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure Starks will be back in time. The whole line might get juggled again. Gilbert left, Colon outside...

GoFor7
08-11-2012, 01:21 PM
I would guess if Starks is ready by the third preseason game he'll be the starter week 1. I haven't been able to find much info on how he's progressing.

GoFor7
08-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Line today at training camp:

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

First team OL: Gilbert Colon Pouncey DeCastro and Foster.

Can't say I'm thrilled about Foster at RT, but I understand why he's there instead of Colon. The less you have to play musical chairs the better.

FrancoLambert
08-11-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure Starks will be back in time. The whole line might get juggled again. Gilbert left, Colon outside...

HERE WE GO AGAIN.

tanda10506
08-11-2012, 07:36 PM
I think our years of winning in spite of terrible O line play our over. We need our O line to step up or it will bite us in the ass this year big IMO. So far everybody is still supposed to be back before the season starts, so there might be some learning on the job the first week or two, but we won't have to juggle guys around. Once we start doing that, no matter who we're juggling, we will start to struggle. I don't think Starks will be ready Week 1, and if he is will he be more ready then Adams? So Adams is going to have to go even though he's not going to be completely ready. Knowing our team they will probably try to play it safe and juggle the line around if Starks isn't ready and Adams isn't up to speed, but IMO I'd just try to get Adams up to speed ASAP and put him out there. I have confidence that with Colon and Pouncey to his right all game that he will be able to handle it. A few growing pains, yes, but he'll get the job done and learn quick. We'll see I guess. Honestly a bit of the hope I have for this season goes away every time this O line get hurts. We can't overcome it this year, we just have to hope it doesn't happen.

Millers the sh!t
08-12-2012, 10:11 PM
I think Adams won't be starting week one. (Even without the Injury) Probably won't be starting by week 5 either. And if Starks ain't starting by week one, we are gonna have colon back at right tackle, Gilbert left tackle Essex at left guard etc etc. Already looking like last year...

Let's hope Adams heals up quick and gets up to par even quicker. He looked like garbage week one and it could hamper the progression of most of the offense..

Hawaii 5-0
08-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Essex at left guard

the best position for Essex is left out

GoFor7
08-12-2012, 10:57 PM
I think Adams won't be starting week one. (Even without the Injury) Probably won't be starting by week 5 either. And if Starks ain't starting by week one, we are gonna have colon back at right tackle, Gilbert left tackle Essex at left guard etc etc. Already looking like last year...

Let's hope Adams heals up quick and gets up to par even quicker. He looked like garbage week one and it could hamper the progression of most of the offense..

Well if training camp is any indication, Colon will stay at LG. And really, he should. I'm not cheerleading Foster at RT, but the fewer pieces you have to move around, the better.

Kingmagyar
08-12-2012, 11:04 PM

I was wondering how his slimming down in the offseason would affect his play inside. I thought a slimmer Essex might be a better tackle, but so far not so good. Being slimmer also hurts his ability now on the inside.

Former WR Wes Lyons gained weight in the off-season to be a tight end in a year the Steelers needed to look at receivers.

Sometimes the status quo is what is best.

Millers the sh!t
08-13-2012, 03:19 PM

Ha ha ha ha..... Thanks for the laugh. It's funny cause its true. If Adams and Starks aren't ready by week one, who gets the other tackle spot?

GoFor7
08-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Ha ha ha ha..... Thanks for the laugh. It's funny cause its true. If Adams and Starks aren't ready by week one, who gets the other tackle spot?

Well if practice this week is any indication, then Gilbert will move over to LT and Foster will be at RT. I doubt they move Colon, otherwise I think they would have done it already.

TheVet
08-13-2012, 03:23 PM

Maybe they could just upgrade to one of those orange traffic cones.

Seriously, we're mega-hurting at OT. Lack of depth could bite us bigtime. Gilbert looking even more like a rookie than Adams, at least in game 1. Starks injured. Ugggggh. At least our interior line looks good on paper, assuming that Colon actually makes it out of training camp.

Fire Arians
08-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Well if practice this week is any indication, then Gilbert will move over to LT and Foster will be at RT. I doubt they move Colon, otherwise I think they would have done it already.

really crappy that adams is already hurt. I went from being excited about our OL to not to thrilled. wtf is up with all our injuries on o-line year after year, we probably lead the NFL in the # of injuries to our o-line

Millers the sh!t
08-13-2012, 06:30 PM
really crappy that adams is already hurt. I went from being excited about our OL to not to thrilled. wtf is up with all our injuries on o-line year after year, we probably lead the NFL in the # of injuries to our o-line

I went from being really excited about the o line, to being really humble after the first drive. Mistakes from a lof of players, and Ben's sacked every 4 plays.... He had absolutely no time and it reminded me of Baltimore week one.

ricardisimo
08-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Remember that Philly's D - even with the injuries - is not bad. Oddly enough, their DBs are their weak spot, not their D-line and LBs. Adams can only get better, and he will.

Colon has been dinged up also, so he was not going to be moved anywhere for preseason. Moving him to the RT spot for the first few weeks of the regular season is not out of the question.

tony hipchest
08-13-2012, 10:15 PM
no need for panic mode to set in. as bad as our line MAY seem right now (it really isnt), its 10X better than it was last year.

BGSU A Dub
08-13-2012, 10:39 PM
no need for panic mode to set in. as bad as our line MAY seem right now (it really isnt), its 10X better than it was last year.

It was ONE preseason game. ONE. UNO. SINGLE. Give them time to work out the kinks and let chemistry set in.

ricardisimo
08-13-2012, 11:32 PM
No, Tony. It is panic time. It's over, and it's time to pray for a merciful four-win season

Millers the sh!t
08-14-2012, 04:49 AM
No one is panicking. Just discussing the facts of week one pre season, and the different scenarios that we could be seeing based on real life predicaments.

FrancoLambert
08-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Way too early to panic, but (unfortunately) late enough to be seriously concerned.
Our O-line has been our Achille's Heal lately and just about everyone was in agreement that this unit HAD to be upgraded to avoid the same disappointing results.

Our drafting strategy addressed our needs; improvement was on the horizon.
Well, here we go again. Injuries (Colon, Adams), shuffling positions, disappointing development of younger players (Gilbert), veteran backups who still struggle (Foster, Essex) when asked to start.

Way too early to panic, but we should be VERY concerned.
Won't see the full benefit of Haley's system unless this unit upgrades its performance drastically.

GoFor7
08-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Starks comes off PUP:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/14/max-starks-activated-from-pup-list/

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Can't say I'm thrilled about Foster at RT, but I understand why he's there instead of Colon. The less you have to play musical chairs the better.

They should be keeping Gilbert at RT then, if that is where he is projected to stay. His play this last weekend looks like it could use some help, not a further handicap by juggling him from side to side each week.

Put Foster at LT so that when Adams is healthy, all we have to do is plug him back in at LT.

pancake
08-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Starks comes off PUP:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/14/max-starks-activated-from-pup-list/

Awesome news!

Any news on Adams?

I hope Harrison is close to being activated too.

Steelersfan87
08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Mike Adams is back in practicing, running with the second team at left tackle. Gilbert remains on the left with the first team, probably through this week.

Steelersfan87
08-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib
Adams now in with first team at LT. Gilbert switched to RT

Hawaii 5-0
08-16-2012, 03:53 PM
glad to see this, will be even happier when Starks is at LT:

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib:

Adams now in with first team at LT. Gilbert switched to RT

http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
I am glad as hell. Even with the rough outing he had against Philly, I am still in favor of putting the guy who we want to be our eventual starter in the game.

Tackle is more difficult to learn for a rookie-- at least guards have a guy on either side of them to compensate if they are having a bad game. But at tackle, you are kinda on your own. And it isn't like Mike Adams had an elite player next to him in that game either (Ramon Foster).

I think Adams has a much improved game this week with Colon next to him.

From what I saw, Adams was thinking about his assignments too much. Normal for a rookie, and he needs to work on his side-step too. He got beat around the edge twice.

Millers the sh!t
08-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I am glad as hell. Even with the rough outing he had against Philly, I am still in favor of putting the guy who we want to be our eventual starter in the game.

Tackle is more difficult to learn for a rookie-- at least guards have a guy on either side of them to compensate if they are having a bad game. But at tackle, you are kinda on your own. And it isn't like Mike Adams had an elite player next to him in that game either (Ramon Foster).

I think Adams has a much improved game this week with Colon next to him.

From what I saw, Adams was thinking about his assignments too much. Normal for a rookie, and he needs to work on his side-step too. He got beat around the edge twice.

He's gonna have another shitty game this week. At best he'll take his reps, learn something and hopefully walk away from the game with no new injuries or aggravation tohis knee.

tanda10506
08-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Great to hear about Adams! I agree that he should be the starting LT as he is the future at that position, but IMO we should let him sit this next game. No need to rush it, the season is long and one extra week of experience (as important as it is) is not worth a season hindering injury. I don't care too much who's at LT this next game. I'd like to see the full first team play the whole first quarter in the last preseason game, maybe even the 2nd quarter, to let the first team get some continuity playing against another team before they have to go into Denver. Of course them having more time like that before would be nice, but it's not worth losing a player for multiple regular season games.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-16-2012, 07:18 PM
He's gonna have another shitty game this week. At best he'll take his reps, learn something and hopefully walk away from the game with no new injuries or aggravation tohis knee.

Jeezus that is pessimistic.

Fire Arians
08-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Great to hear about Adams! I agree that he should be the starting LT as he is the future at that position, but IMO we should let him sit this next game. No need to rush it, the season is long and one extra week of experience (as important as it is) is not worth a season hindering injury. I don't care too much who's at LT this next game. I'd like to see the full first team play the whole first quarter in the last preseason game, maybe even the 2nd quarter, to let the first team get some continuity playing against another team before they have to go into Denver. Of course them having more time like that before would be nice, but it's not worth losing a player for multiple regular season games.

i will disagree a little. if he can play, he should play. he's being given the opportunity right now to be the starting LT, and he can't do a jason worilds when he has a golden opportunity in front of him.

i'm sure if his injury was serious, tomlin wouldn't allow him to touch the field

Steelersfan87
08-16-2012, 07:53 PM
It really depends on how well he feels, but I honestly think if he does play, he should be on a pitch count...like 10-15 plays. And possibly with the second team. A setback right now would be really...undesirable.

Millers the sh!t
08-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Jeezus that is pessimistic.

Yeah I know it is but, Adams couldn't stop a nosebleed last week, and he's been injured ever since. He's had zero time to practice and improve. Now this week he'll have Mathis and or Freeney lining up across from him.

Just saying.......

Steelersfan87
08-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Did you actually, honestly closely watch the game? His run blocking was actually quite good, and his errors in pass protection are clearly physical and easily corrected, and partially attributed to first game jitters. It was as if he was so afraid of the cutback inside that he would just allow himself to get beat off the edge, even though he has the footwork to follow the pass rusher around the corner.

Hawaii 5-0
08-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Adams V. Starks: Which Steelers Tackle Wins The Battle

Aug 16th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/08/871c344cdc193c2ee646ea91b519ef46.jpeg?5dc56d

Steelers veteran left tackle Max Starks hit the practice field for the first time since tearing his ACL. Rookie left tackle Mike Adams also returned from his knee injury he suffered last week against the Eagles. And, while itís not The Octagon, this battle for left tackle just got interesting.

Iím not yet convinced that Mike Adams is the guy for the starting job. Yet. Heíll get there, but his poor showing against the Eagles is a cause for concern. Enter trusty Max Starks. Starks, though criticized for his age and size, entered last season overweight and out of shape from his most recent injury. After being cut by the Steelers, he was resigned part way through as a final play by the team to improve the awful offensive line.

Starks, who hadnít really practiced or taken a snap for months shined in his return. He continued to have Ben Roethlisbergerís back the rest of the year until he went down with an ACL at the end of the season. Starks is a solid choice at left tackle and has a realistic chance of taking that roll away from Adams.

So who will the Steelers start against the Colts on Sunday? Does Adams get a second nod and chance to prove that he deserves that spot? Or do the Steelers go with Starks to see if he can still handle game speed?

If Starks doesnít start on Sunday, I would think the Steelers would put him in fairly early in the game. Adams and Starks may share time in the 1st quarter so the coaches can asses how both men handle the 1st team defense of the Colts. With Freeny and Mathis of the Colts still playing at a high level, both Adams and Starks will be tested often and early.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/08/16/adams-v-starks-which-steelers-tackle-wins-the-battle/

ricardisimo
08-17-2012, 02:32 AM
Did you actually, honestly closely watch the game? His run blocking was actually quite good, and his errors in pass protection are clearly physical and easily corrected, and partially attributed to first game jitters. It was as if he was so afraid of the cutback inside that he would just allow himself to get beat off the edge, even though he has the footwork to follow the pass rusher around the corner.
Last week's problems looked like a lack of team chemistry to me, more than poor individual efforts. I kept seeing guys stepping oon each other, pushing their man into one another, anticipating their partner wrong, etc. That shit disappears by the first or second regular season game.

Millers the sh!t
08-17-2012, 08:40 AM

Yeah you're right my bad. Ben getting sacked 3 times in one drive is stellar line play. What was I thinking? And honestly, the best way to learn something is to sit on the sidelines with a bumbed knee. Expect the line to gel for Sundays game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Last week's problems looked like a lack of team chemistry to me, more than poor individual efforts. I kept seeing guys stepping oon each other, pushing their man into one another, anticipating their partner wrong, etc. That shit disappears by the first or second regular season game.

I'll disagree on that one. The only one play that looked like lack of chemistry was when Foster let somebody get by him on the pass rush, which made Ben step up and into the arms of the guy Adams was blocking. That is one sack that the average fan will read was Adams credit......but it wasnt.

Other sacks were from 1. Adams not getting good depth with a good kick slide and letting the defender get the edge. 2. Adams not delivering a good punch and letting the rusher get inside his frame. 3. Gilbert missing a cut block and letting a free run at Ben.

It was sloppy individual play, IMO. The same fans that thought Adams was the LT saviour, now think he is crap, after 12 plays. Those fans are a joke. At the worst, Mike Adams will be a good RT, at the best a Pro Bowl LT. Look at Duane Brown.

Fire Arians
08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
i thought starks wasn't playing this weekend? the kid needs more reps, id say not rush starks back

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 11:52 AM
I'll disagree on that one. The only one play that looked like lack of chemistry was when Foster let somebody get by him on the pass rush, which made Ben step up and into the arms of the guy Adams was blocking. That is one sack that the average fan will read was Adams credit......but it wasnt.

Other sacks were from 1. Adams not getting good depth with a good kick slide and letting the defender get the edge. 2. Adams not delivering a good punch and letting the rusher get inside his frame. 3. Gilbert missing a cut block and letting a free run at Ben.

It was sloppy individual play, IMO. The same fans that thought Adams was the LT saviour, now think he is crap, after 12 plays. Those fans are a joke. At the worst, Mike Adams will be a good RT, at the best a Pro Bowl LT. Look at Duane Brown.

Well said and I agree.

i thought starks wasn't playing this weekend? the kid needs more reps, id say not rush starks back

He's not playing; at least that's what he said. It seems like Adams has a shot at playing though, if yesterday was any indication.

pancake
08-17-2012, 02:51 PM

I agree, give the kid as many reps as we can get and he may just win the job. Next week I think Max gets some action and will reduce amout of snaps available for Adams.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-18-2012, 12:17 AM
If adams is healthy, i think he should play. He is the future at that position, Starks is a reliable guy to fall back on and I agree he saved our season last year, but our season should not rest with a 30-something year old overweight guy with a bum knee.

Adams needs some work, he has the rookie jitters and he had a guy who should be a backup at best (Foster) playing next to him. I am sure the game tape gives Kugler some good points to start with, and he will help him clean up his technique over the next few weeks.

Lets see how he does with Colon next to him this week. I am personally excited by what I hear out of camp about our resurrected LG. I just don;t think many opposing defenses will be able to stop Redman running behind a fullback and Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro.

tanda10506
08-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Lets see how he does with Colon next to him this week. I am personally excited by what I hear out of camp about our resurrected LG. I just don;t think many opposing defenses will be able to stop Redman running behind a fullback and Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro.

Agreed. I think any/all of our RB's can/will be successful with a FB and those 3 opening holes and pulling.

Hawaii 5-0
08-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Post-Buffalo thoughts

posted by Dale Lolley
SATURDAY, AUGUST 25, 2012

@ Mike Adams took a nice step forward at left tackle in this one.

Max Starks played OK for his first time in game action. He'll be the starter, but Adams looked a little more like the future against the Bills than he had in the previous two preseason games.

Look for the Steelers to give him more work at guard moving forward, especially with DeCastro possibly out for the season.

Although, I've got to tell you, you won't see too many 6-8 guards.

But if he's going to be active on game days, he needs to be position flexible, as Mike Tomlin likes to say.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2012/08/post-buffalo-thoughts.html

Fire Haley
08-26-2012, 07:36 PM
we need to pick up a guard first off the waiver wire