PDA

View Full Version : 1974 Steelers

Vis
08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
On NFL Network right now

Atlanta Dan
08-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Followed by the 1975 (my personal favorite) and 1978 Steelers America's Game videos at 9 and 10:thumbsup:

Thanks for reminding me this is on

Sharkissle29
08-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Have all 3 DVR'd

FrancoLambert
08-14-2012, 07:39 AM
The Steel Curtain. Consistent pressure from 4 down linemen. :tt04:
Greene, Greenwood, White, and Holmes were beasts. :tt:
I always loved Holmes' sick grin. Can only imagine what he said during a game.
Mike Wagner's description of him has always stuck with me, "I think he truly enjoyed hurting people."
Thanks for the great memories! :tt03:

steelbelieve
08-14-2012, 09:09 AM
On NFL Network right now

Here's the part to reflect on while watching the 1974 Steelers win it all: That team dominated, but almost amazingly, was still loaded with four rookie future hall of famers and a future all-pro, Donnie Shell, who played special teams that year.

As a kid, I still vividly remember the post-game interview in the locker room with Mr. Rooney, and Chuck Noll. They were all huddled around a small locker room with then commissioner Rozelle presenting the Lombardi trophy. At one point, the announcer leaned the mike over to the ever stoic Chuck Noll, and asked him what do you aim for now that your team has won it all? Everyone probably expected a stock answer of well, we'll try our best next year; or whatever; but Noll took little time responding with a clear, almost ominous tone to the rest of the NFL and said simply, "This team has not yet peaked."

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Mike Wagner's description of him has always stuck with me, "I think he truly enjoyed hurting people."
Thanks for the great memories! :tt03:

"I think he wanted to beat people to death -- within the rules of the game,":chuckle:

FrancoLambert
08-14-2012, 08:08 PM
"I think he wanted to beat people to death -- within the rules of the game,":chuckle:

:applaudit: :sofunny: :thumbsup:

rich4eagle
08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Super Steelers 70's the ever in the NFL

4xSBChamps
08-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Here's the part to reflect on while watching the 1974 Steelers win it all: That team dominated, but almost amazingly, was still loaded with four rookie future hall of famers and a future all-pro, Donnie Shell, who played special teams that year.

As a kid, I still vividly remember the post-game interview in the locker room with Mr. Rooney, and Chuck Noll. They were all huddled around a small locker room with then commissioner Rozelle presenting the Lombardi trophy.

as I recall, the Chief held-aloft the Lombardi Trophy, then passed it around the room, but he clutched the game-ball, awarded to him by Andy Russell, for dear-life

At one point, the announcer leaned the mike over to the ever stoic Chuck Noll, and asked him what do you aim for now that your team has won it all? Everyone probably expected a stock answer of well, we'll try our best next year; or whatever; but Noll took little time responding with a clear, almost ominous tone to the rest of the NFL and said simply, "This team has not yet peaked."

again, going strictly from memory, I believe Noll said 'you ain't seen nothin'-yet', a popular Bachmann-Turner Overdrive, released late in the 1974 season:
I often wonder how-surprised some of the players were to know that Noll was aware of that song

steelbelieve
08-15-2012, 08:55 PM
as I recall, the Chief held-aloft the Lombardi Trophy, then passed it around the room, but he clutched the game-ball, awarded to him by Andy Russell, for dear-life

again, going strictly from memory, I believe Noll said 'you ain't seen nothin'-yet', a popular Bachmann-Turner Overdrive, released late in the 1974 season:
I often wonder how-surprised some of the players were to know that Noll was aware of that song

lol, well, I guess our respective memories are a little bit different on this subject; but, hey, they say memory is the second thing that goes........:chuckle:

4xSBChamps
08-16-2012, 04:50 AM
lol, well, I guess our respective memories are a little bit different on this subject; but, hey, they say memory is the second thing that goes........:chuckle:

I didn't mean to imply that 'I am right, you are wrong' at-all ~ those 2 images (Chief holding the game-ball, and Noll acknowledging a popular song) are how I recall that very-memorable celebration getting started
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/ArtRooneywithgameballLombardiTrophy.jpg
I'm probably wrong myself
:drink:

FrancoLambert
08-16-2012, 06:53 AM
I don't believe Noll said, "you ain't seen nothing yet." That wasn't Chuck.
I'm almost positive that he said something very similar to:
"This team hasn't peaked yet" or "I don't think this team has reached its full potential."
Either way, he was right!
And, we were lucky enough to see it.
As time goes on, and as the NFL changes (for the worse), my appreciation for that team just keeps growing. 4 SB's in 6 years, with that unbelievable core of players, AMAZING!!!