PDA

View Full Version : David Paulson

tburhans
08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Didn't see him do much in the eagles game. I saw johnson target him once but that was.it. And haven't heard much about him from training camp. Anybody else heard anything about him? Not sure he makes the team but he seems like a guy who could be a receiving threat with some development

Steelersfan87
08-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Funny you should mention him. I just re-watched the game and did key in on him and thought he did quite well. Here is what I posted in the "Winners and Losers" thread:

5. In addition, and this was one of the two biggest surprises for me, David Paulson was also very solid in his blocking assignments. He was rarely asked to do anything overly demanding, but I didn't see him make any errors. On only one play did his man escape after a second, but he had no chance to make the play anyway. Granted, he was blocking against inferior competition, but this was a strong first showing for him, for which I'm slightly relieved.

TheDude
08-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I was interested in seeing him at Latrobe this year...and that was prior to DJ's injury. I came away impressed with his athleticism. He really moved well. His hands have looked like that of most rookies, but you can tell he has experience catching the ball.

Where he came away less than impressive was simply his physical stature...really looks like a boy among men in the trenches. Glad to hear you liked what you guys saw out of him from a blocking standpoint. Makes me wanna look at the tape and really focus on him.

Hawaii 5-0
08-14-2012, 01:51 AM
Mike Tomlin reportedly likes him.

right now, Heath Miller and Leonard Pope are firmly entrenched as the top two TEs and Weslye Saunders will be the #3 TE once he serves his 4-game suspension to start the season.

this gives David Paulson an opening to make the opening day 53-man roster, but I think it's more likely he spends the year on the practice squad.

Steelersfan87
08-14-2012, 02:30 AM
What I'd like to see happen, short of Saunders getting his suspension appealed of course, is for Paulson to make the roster for the first four weeks and then redshirt the rest of the year on the practice squad, where he can hopefully solidify his roster spot for next season and make Pope expendable. Like I said, I came away pleasantly surprised with Paulson from the Eagles game, even though his abilities were not overly tested...and also keeping in mind that he was going up against some lower level competition playing a vanilla defense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
What I'd like to see happen, short of Saunders getting his suspension appealed of course, is for Paulson to make the roster for the first four weeks and then redshirt the rest of the year on the practice squad, where he can hopefully solidify his roster spot for next season and make Pope expendable. Like I said, I came away pleasantly surprised with Paulson from the Eagles game, even though his abilities were not overly tested...and also keeping in mind that he was going up against some lower level competition playing a vanilla defense.

I'm OK if he goes straight to the PS. Worst thing we can have happen is he actually performs well in games, then gets released from the 53 and somebody picks him up.

He caught the ball well at the combine and moved well. Word on him is that he has a great attitude and will do anything asked of him, whether it be play TE, H-back or what. I think Miller, Saunders, Paulson in 2013 would be a good group.

Hawaii 5-0
08-14-2012, 10:29 PM
By Ralph N. Paulk

Published: Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Rookie tight end David Paulson grabbed attention when he snatched a pass from the hands of linebacker Lawrence Timmons and cornerback Cortez Allen. In a crowded field of tight end candidates, the seventh-round draft pick has impressed coaches with his pass-catching and run-blocking skills.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2407180-85/rookie-tight-pass-ball-beachum-blocking-david-johnson-running-fundamentals