PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks activated from PUP list

Fire Haley
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Starks removed from PUP list

August 14th, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune Review

The Steelers are thin at left tackle, but will get a big boost today when veteran Max Starks was removed from the physically unable to perform list.

Under new CBA rules, Starks will be limited and unable to practice for three days meaning he won’t be able to practice fully until Friday when the Steelers close out camp. Starks won’t play against the Colts this weekend.

Sunday will mark seven months since Starks had the ACL repaired in his right knee. Starks injured his knee during the wild-card loss to Denver. ACL surgery typically takes 7-9 months to fully heal.

The Steelers signed Starks July 17 – a week before the start of training camp – to provide depth to a young and inexperienced offensive line that includes rookie second-round pick Mike Adams.

With Adams out for a couple of weeks with a knee injury, the Steelers shuffled Marcus Gilbert from right tackle to left tackle and inserted Ramon Foster into the starting lineup at right tackle.

The Steelers will work Starks into the mix slowly with the hopes of moving Gilbert back to right tackle for good. Starks had been working out daily with associate strength and conditioning Coach Marcel Pastoor during the first three weeks of training camp.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/08/14/starks-removed-from-pup-list/#.UCpXoenr6pY.twitter

------------------------

Welcome back Max!!!

jasonpirkle
08-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Awesome!! Glad to hear it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-14-2012, 11:54 AM
I've never been more pleased to hear that we brought back an experienced, underperforming and frequently injured O lineman.

Fire Arians
08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
awesome news. i really wasn't looking forward to ramon foster being our starting RT in week 1.

Fire Haley
08-14-2012, 01:27 PM
He's the best insurance we could have gotten.

tony hipchest
08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
He's the best insurance we could have gotten.no doubt, especially for the price.

its really making those 2 years we slapped him with the franchise tag look more like a 4 year/$20 mil deal.

Millers the sh!t
08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
This is encouraging. Hope it's not too soon.

pancake
08-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Starks should have received team MVP votes last year. I think he helped that much.

sluggermatt15
08-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Glad to hear we have another healthy offensive lineman. Let's see what he can do in the remainder of the preseason when he starts practicing again.

FrancoLambert
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Good news regarding our O-line for a change, let's pray he holds up.

SteelCity4Life
08-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Starks should have received team MVP votes last year. I think he helped that much.

I think so too! Remeber mid-season? That's when the line got banged up last year, then they brought him back and the O line was pretty darn solid!

I wouldn't push bringing him back during preseason. Let him heal for games that REALLY matter.

Anyhow, I was so glad to hear this! :thumbsup:

Hawaii 5-0
08-21-2012, 03:22 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

Max Starks says he'll be practicing with the 1st team today. LT of course.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

pancake
08-21-2012, 08:19 PM
James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

Max Starks says he'll be practicing with the 1st team today. LT of course.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

:thumbsup::applaudit:

Hawaii 5-0
08-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Buffalo turf will test Starks’ knee

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Thursday, August 23, 2012

Max Starks’ surgically repaired right knee passed an important test on his way back into the Steelers’ starting lineup by going through a week of pain-free practice.

But the veteran left tackle is a little concerned about his first game action in more than seven months when the Steelers travel to Buffalo for their third preseason game Saturday because of Ralph Wilson Stadium’s artificial surface and how it may affect his still-healing knee.

“Turf is always a concern for any of us because of the way it shocks your body,” he said Thursday. “It doesn’t have as much give, even though the technology is so far ahead. At the end of the day, it still has concrete as a base layer.”

The Bills replaced their eight-year-old AstroPlay turf last year with a more forgiving A-Turf Titan 50 surface. Still, Starks knows his knee will be tested on the surface under normal circumstances — let alone seven months after ACL surgery.

“Even when we go in the (Steelers’) indoor facility, you feel it the next day,” he said. “Your joints are just that much stiffer because of the fact that you are undergoing a harder pounding versus the grass.”

Ralph Wilson Stadium is one of 12 NFL stadiums that use some form of artificial surface. Including the preseason, the Steelers will play five games on an artificial surface — at Buffalo, the New York Giants, Cincinnati, Baltimore and Dallas.

Starks said he would rather test his knee this week on turf than wait until the final preseason game Thursday against Carolina on Heinz Field’s grass surface.

“(Turf) is always going to be bothersome a little bit, but I’d rather get in this game because it is a big game-prep week,” he said. “This is what a week would go through as far as the play calling, as far as the amount of snaps we are getting. As for the Carolina game, it’s going to be more of an inconsequential game.”

Starks will start and play at least into the second quarter against Buffalo. It could be more, or it could be less.

“We will play it by ear,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “Our intentions are to let him play.”

Starks is being counted on to be a bridge until second-round pick Mike Adams is ready to take over. Starks was signed days before training camp and removed from the physically unable to perform list last week.

“It felt good all this week,” Starks said, “so I am looking forward to playing.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2466465-85/starks-game-surface-turf-week-stadium-knee-steelers-buffalo-artificial

sluggermatt15
08-25-2012, 07:24 PM
I think so too! Remeber mid-season? That's when the line got banged up last year, then they brought him back and the O line was pretty darn solid!

I wouldn't push bringing him back during preseason. Let him heal for games that REALLY matter.

Anyhow, I was so glad to hear this! :thumbsup:

I agree, why risk having Starks get injured in the preseason? No reason to. He has played in this league for nearly 8-9 years, so he has the game experience.

Hawaii 5-0
09-02-2012, 03:27 PM
On the Steelers: Starks back as starting LT

September 2, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For the second consecutive year, Max Starks' biography is nowhere to be found in the 500-page Steelers media guide. For the second consecutive year, Starks will hold down what football people say is the second-most important position on offense, left tackle.

He will serve as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's blind-side protector for the fifth consecutive year. And for the second year in a row, Starks will work on a one-year, minimum-wage contract.

He couldn't be happier.

"I've been fortunate to have been in this position the past two years," Starks said, sincerely.

He goes to work with a smile on his face, even though his employers often have shown him little respect. It began with the new coaching staff in 2007. They took one look at their starting right tackle of the previous two years, including one that helped produce a Vince Lombardi Trophy, and demoted him. He started just four games that season.

Starks was headed for the same fate as a backup in '08 when Steelers management, obviously disagreeing with their coaches' assessment of the big tackle, put the transition tag on him. He played that season for $6.85 million. Good thing, too, because with Marvel Smith hurt, he became their starting left tackle and pocketed his second Super Bowl ring.

The Steelers rewarded him in '09 with a four-year, $26.3 million contract. Just two years into it, they cut him after he missed all but seven games in '10 because of neck surgery.

He sat out the first four games of '11 while the Steelers came to the realization that Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex weren't left tackles. They signed Starks again, and he started the rest of the way until his ACL was torn in January in a playoff loss. He became a free agent again in March, and the Steelers waited until the eve of training camp to sign him, for one year at the veteran minimum.

He played in the final two preseason games and will open the season as the starting left tackle after rookie Mike Adams did not show enough. Starks has been bruised and abused, but shrugs it off as he often does pass-rushers.

"I never felt unwanted," Starks said. "I never looked at it as being unwanted. I realize it's a business, and a lot of people make decisions. You can't affect those decisions, you can either let those decisions confuse you and use it as a crutch to say, 'Oh, they're picking on me, they don't like me, why do they do this and why do they do that?'

"Me, I just said there's an opportunity to get better at something else while I have the opportunity. I think I've constantly proven that. I have a work ethic and I know I have value, if not here then in the league in general. It just so happens, I've played for the same team."

Starks has started at left or right tackle most of the past seven seasons after playing in 10 games as a rookie in '04. His demotion in '07 by new coach Mike Tomlin and his staff is the only time since that a starting job was not his. Even he thought it would not happen this season. Rehabilitating from ACL surgery, he watched the Steelers draft Adams in the second round from Ohio State and announce they would put him at left tackle.

"There was no way I was thinking when I get healthy they'll re-sign me," Starks said. "I wanted to get healthy and figured teams will be out there, and, if I have to wait through training camp and into the season like last year, I'll do that, prepare for that. It just so happens, there was an opportunity to come back. It was a blessing."

It struck him one day at practice that he had been doing this for a while. Four ex-players came back for a night practice at Latrobe to officially "retire" as Steelers: Joey Porter, Aaron Smith, Marvel Smith and Willie Parker.

"A lot of these guys were saying, 'Who is Joey Porter, who is Marvel Smith?' I said, what? I played with all four of those guys. They didn't know who they were. Then talking to Marvel during that practice, he said he knew only about eight dudes on the team."

Starks is 30, same age as Roethlisberger, same draft class. Only backup quarterbacks Byron Leftwich, 32, and Charlie Batch, 37, are older on a young offense.

"To know I'm in my ninth year is truly a blessing, especially when in this league there's such a short time frame for a lot of people. To be around here that long and with the same team is awesome. I'm looking forward to continuing to do great things while I'm still here."

It is why he still is here.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-starks-back-as-starting-lt-651556/#ixzz25L1ynBgG