PDA

View Full Version : Agent- "James Harrison may need knee surgery"

tony hipchest
08-14-2012, 08:51 PM
:shout: -PANIC!!!

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

According to @mikebires through agent Bill Parise, James Harrison may need knee surgery.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/harrison-may-need-surgery-before-steelers-opener/article_4b37012b-2cbf-5430-aff5-3bee8c1e6e35.html

at this point it is JUST A TWEET, but still :shout: - PANIC!!!

"worilds is a bust, woodley is a gildong. carter is old, foote is young. timmons is overrated. "

anyways, i hope not.

Atlanta Dan
08-14-2012, 09:00 PM
After Googling "James Harrison knee surgery" (we now take it for granted but the internet is amazing) it appears Harriosn may get scoped

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison may need arthroscopic surgery on his knee before the regular season opens, according to Mike Bires of the Beaver County Times. Harrison is currently on the preseason PUP list because of swelling behind his knee cap. An arthroscopic procedure may be required to clean out the irritation that is causing the swelling.

Regardless of whether surgery is needed, the Steelers feel he will be ready for their season opener next month. Bires spoke with Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, who indicated the Steelers may take him off the PUP list in the next couple weeks and if things don't go smoothly in practice, they'll opt for the scope. Parise also stated Harrison is perhaps the healthiest he's been in three years, and he's confident his client will be ready for the opener, via Bires:

"He's OK. We're just trying to make sure that we have the player we want for the regular season," Parise said. "Right now, James is doing all right. He's just working through the process. If you see him, he's probably as fit as he's ever been. He looks great. His attitude is great. Right now, it's just a matter of him getting that knee better.

At this time, James is looking to play in the opener. We all think James will play in the opener."

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/harrison-may-need-surgery-before-steelers-opener/article_4b37012b-2cbf-5430-aff5-3bee8c1e6e35.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/8/14/3243378/james-harrison-injury-knee-surgery-steelers

Note that old guys Bouchette and Dulac from the P-G have nothing on this yet - Kaboly is much more twitter savvy in breaking stories

tburhans
08-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Article on steelersdepot.com says he may just need a scope which isn't a huge deal but if he needs it done I say get it done asap so he doesn't miss regular season games. Preseason is meaningless for guys like him. Otherwise he will just end up getting hurt and missing games again and we saw how that turned out last year

Steelersfan87
08-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I honestly think he should just get his knee cleaned out, but it doesn't sound like that's the plan. It would probably be better in the long run to get it cleaned rather than try to play through it, possibly making it worse. Chances are he'll need a couple games to get his feet underneath him like last year regardless of what happens.

tony hipchest
08-14-2012, 09:44 PM
urlacher is getting the same thing done now. they now call a scope a "debridement" as if theyre just going to the dentist for some under the gum cleanings.

it is still surgery no matter how you church it up.

the coaches probably want it done now, james probably wants to tough it out. with any other player this would be an easy decision, but even cowher admitted being slightly on edge and afraid when harrison walked in to see him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Calm down....step away from the panic button folks.

Google a term "arthroscopic meniscotomy" and chill out. If he has a loose flap of meniscus in his knee that is causing irritation, they clip it and remove the piece. Its not that big a deal.

If you still need more info then you can look into whether the meniscus tear is in the white zone or the red zone (vascularized area), but at this point its like a haircut for an ortho surgeon.

tony hipchest
08-14-2012, 11:31 PM

Google a term "arthroscopic meniscotomy" and chill out. If he has a loose flap of meniscus in his knee that is causing irritation, they clip it and remove the piece. Its not that big a deal.

If you still need more info then you can look into whether the meniscus tear is in the white zone or the red zone (vascularized area), but at this point its like a haircut for an ortho surgeon.

"speak english doc, we aint scientists!"

pBm2KqyLxTo

:sofunny:

MACH1
08-14-2012, 11:35 PM

It's nothing major but it's still a 2-3 week recovery.

Had a similar thing done on my ankle and it was about that long before the doc let me do to much on it. :hunch:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2012, 12:28 AM
"speak english doc, we aint scientists!"

pBm2KqyLxTo

That's some good cinema.

Harrison may have a hangnail like piece of tissue in his knee that needs to get clipped out.:hatsoff:

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2012, 07:13 AM
It's nothing major but it's still a 2-3 week recovery.

Yep - surgery is never risk-free but Bouchette wonders why this was not done before camp

James Harrison has had a knee problem since at least the spring, he continues on PUP because of it and now his agent says he may need surgery?

Why didn’t they do this back in May or June?...

Parise said he may come off PUP first and play so they can determine if it still is causing him problems. I don’t need to tell you that I am no doctor, but common sense tells me that playing football won’t serve as a painkiller for Harrison’s knee. If it hasn’t improved in months, then they probably should think about going in there and getting it done now, three weeks before the first real game.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117636-ed-harrison-may-need-knee-surgery

steelfury02
08-15-2012, 08:24 AM
yea, well, I'm also wondering why Bouchette doesn't man up and go Tomlin style for training camp. Tomlin is wearing his long black clothes in the dead heat - where's the sweater vest, Bouchette? HMMMMMMMM?

Fire Haley
08-15-2012, 09:03 AM
I was afraid of this.

sore knees that keep you out a month don't just heal on their own

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2012, 09:03 AM
yea, well, I'm also wondering why Bouchette doesn't man up and go Tomlin style for training camp. Tomlin is wearing his long black clothes in the dead heat - where's the sweater vest, Bouchette? HMMMMMMMM?

No kidding!! When you have a signature look like Ed and the vest, you gotta wear it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-15-2012, 09:09 AM
I feel better this season with Brandon Johnson around and Chris Carter improving. I just hope that we dont have to go without Woodley and Harrison at any point. If Harrison misses a couple games, we should be OK to fill his spot.

GoFor7
08-15-2012, 10:17 AM
FYI, Brian Urlacher in Chicago is going to have a similar surgery soon for knee swelling. They think he'll be back for their opener, but they also think he may have some nagging issues all year. Wouldn't be surprised if Harrison has to deal with the same.

Fire Haley
08-15-2012, 10:55 AM
parts wear out

Bears LB Urlacher has knee surgery

''I am just going to keep resting right now,'' he said. ''I have never had a scope. I don't know how that stuff works. This is the first time I have ever done anything to my knee so I am kind of new to this. I don't know. Honestly, I don't know how that works.''

Urlacher acknowledged that the knee could be an issue all season, adding, ''I don't see it getting any better during the season. We have to manage it, my reps in practice, and then get through Sunday.''

The Bears had all offseason to address the injury in a different way, but Smith said there was no indication he needed surgery until recently when Urlacher began have problems.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bears-lb-urlacher-knee-surgery-162541914--nfl.html

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I still do not recall when the memo was issued by the league office that stated the procedure for a player's injury status to be released to the media would be by a statement from the agent for the player:noidea:

it may be because I already am tired of preseason but I cannot wait for the real games to start so I do not need to constantly hear what the agents have to say

Steelersfan87
08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Harrison is having his knee examined today, we'll see what comes of that.

Fire Haley
08-15-2012, 02:46 PM
under the knife

Steelers OLB James Harrison underwent arthroscopic surgery on his troublesome knee Wednesday morning.

He's going to miss regular season action, and may even open the year on PUP, which would cost Harrison the first six games

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Steelersfan87
08-15-2012, 02:51 PM
The part about missing time into the regular sounds like pure speculation on Rotoworld's part at the moment. It's far from a sure thing that he will need that long to recover.

Hawaii 5-0
08-15-2012, 02:58 PM
under the knife

Steelers OLB James Harrison underwent arthroscopic surgery on his troublesome knee Wednesday morning.

He's going to miss regular season action, and may even open the year on PUP, which would cost Harrison the first six games

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

not good news.

I hope this doesn't mean that we move Timmons outside again...

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
The part about missing time into the regular sounds like pure speculation on Rotoworld's part at the moment. It's far from a sure thing that he will need that long to recover.

The "source" of the Rotoworld post was a tweet from Ed. B.

Ed Bouchette‏@EdBouchette

#steelers LB James Harrison had scope scheduled this morning on his knee

http://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/235815424233705472

Bouchette said only that Harrison was scheduled to be scoped this morning - nothing about missing regular season games let alone going on the PUP list for the first 6 weeks of the regular season - Bouchette has received 2 inquiries asking about a timeline for recovery and has not replied

Rotoworld and other bloggers have no more credibility than anyone else with internet access - maybe I should put out a tweet that Harrison could be out for the year and may retire

Steelersfan87
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
I know the source about the actual surgery was from Bouchette, but there's no indication right now that he will miss meaningful games, they were freeballing that one.

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette
#Steelers LB James Harrison had scope on his left knee this morning and it "went well,'' according to one source.

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2012, 03:20 PM
I know the source about the actual surgery was from Bouchette, but there's no indication right now that he will miss meaningful games, they were freeballing that one.

Making sh** up is standard procedure for these NFL bloggers

Florio at PFT put out this gem

Steelers linebacker James Harrison could be getting arthroscopic surgery on his knee, according to his agent, Bill Parise....

In the end, Parise may not want Harrison to be healthy before Week One. If he passes a physical and thereafter doesnít get injured, the Steelers could (not will, could) decide to save $5.565 million, if they think the defense will be fine without him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/15/surgery-could-be-coming-for-james-harrison/

Bottom line - either Harrison is missing the first 6 games of the regular season or is going to be cut if is able to play to start the season

tanda10506
08-15-2012, 03:47 PM
I guess I'm missing something, how would Harrison being healthy by Week 1 allow the Steelers to cut him and save that much? I don't see why he couldn't be back in time for the season opener if he doesn't do any damage to it after surgery. Florio plays up the fact that Harrison won't have enough practice to play week 1, but I don't Harrison or anybody on the team is worried about him not having enough practice.

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2012, 04:04 PM
I guess I'm missing something, how would Harrison being healthy by Week 1 allow the Steelers to cut him and save that much? I don't see why he couldn't be back in time for the season opener if he doesn't do any damage to it after surgery. Florio plays up the fact that Harrison won't have enough practice to play week 1, but I don't Harrison or anybody on the team is worried about him not having enough practice.

It's Florio blowing smoke

As we know, you cannot cut an injured player who was injured during team related activities and is physically unable to perform (e.g. - Steelers are paying David Johnston who went on IR) without having to pay his salary for the year or negotiating a settlement

OTOH, if Harrison passes a physical and is able to perform the Steelers theoretically could cut him during the last round of cuts before the season starts and save $$$ by not having to pay his salary.

Of course using Florio's logic the Steelers could really save $$$ for future cap space by cutting Roethlisberger and Woodley

tony hipchest
08-15-2012, 06:01 PM
that makes urlacher, detroits louis delmas, and harrison with scopes in the past 2 days. its an epidemic! or its a calculated way of getting out of the BS of camp. all 3 are expected to start the season.

LATROBE, Pa. -- James Harrison's agent told the Beaver County Times that he thought the Steelers would remove the five-time Pro Bowl linebacker from the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list in a week or two and see how the knee reacts before pursuing surgery.

The agent thought wrong. Surgery wasn't in a week or two. By the time the Steelers were having lunch at St. Vincent College, Harrison had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

In other words, the Steelers put Harrison on their timetable and not his own. If Pittsburgh had waited a week or two before scheduling surgery, Harrison would have been in serious jeopardy of missing the season opener at Denver, which is 25 days away. Now, by taking charge of Harrison's injury after allowing him to go at his pace for the entire offseason and most of training camp, the Steelers increased their chances of watching Harrison drive Peyton Manning into the ground, which is exactly what Manning didn't want to hear.

Head coach Mike Tomlin wouldn't lay out a timeframe of when he expected Harrison to get back on the field but he said, "It shouldn't be long."

The Steelers gave Harrison time to work out the injury. He didn't practice this offseason because of an inflamed knee and sat out all of training camp, which wraps up this week. The Steelers, though, couldn't wait any longer. Harrison's backup, Jason Worilds, is considered week-to-week with a hand injury. That meant Chris Carter, a fifth-round pick from a year ago, was working with the starters.
strange thing about worilds though. he told m. kaboly (i think) that if it were up to him, he would be out there practicing. the coaches and team is holding him out. :scratchchin:

Rotoworld and other bloggers have no more credibility than anyone else with internet access - maybe I should put out a tweet that Harrison could be out for the year and may retire

done!

@Steelers_Fever As reported by Atlanta Dan of Steelersfever.com, @jharrison9292 could be out for the season and is strongly contemplating retirement.

:sofunny: - lol... just kidding.

Steelersfan87
08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
strange thing about worilds though. he told m. kaboly (i think) that if it were up to him, he would be out there practicing. the coaches and team is holding him out. :scratchchin:

Yeah, I was going to mention that as well

Hawaii 5-0
08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Steelers Not Likely To Use Timmons Outside Again Should Harrison Not Be Ready

Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

If you watched any of the Pittsburgh Steelers games from last year when right outside linebacker James Harrison was sidelined for four weeks with his fractured orbital bone suffered against the Houston Texans, you clearly know that replacing Harrison with inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons is not something the Steelers ever want to have to do again.

During those four games that Harrison missed, Timmons struggled mightily at both rushing the passer and defending against the run while playing outside. He did not record a sack in his 100 plus times he rushed the passer from outside and he barely registered a hurry or a hit on the opposing quarterback in addition. Once again, if you watched the games, this is not news to you.

Now that Harrison has undergone the scope procedure on his right knee today, there might be a slim, slim chance that he is not ready to start the season. I say slim because we still have a long way to go until that first Sunday night game in Denver, and Harrison has had the surgery performed soon enough that it is fathomable that he could be ready to play, albeit he might miss all of the preseason action.

Should Harrison not be ready, the Steelers will turn to either Jason Worilds or Chris Carter to play outside, not Timmons. Worilds continues to be a mystery right now after undergoing wrist surgery this offseason, and like Harrison, he remains on the PUP list. He is working on the side right now, however, and rumblings are that he might be able to return to practice soon.

Should both Harrison and Worilds not be ready, Carter would be the one to get the start as he has been taking all of the first team reps at the right outside linebacker spot with both Harrison and Worilds sidelined. I checked with Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review to see if Timmons has received any work at all at the right outside linebacker spot thus far during training camp and he informed that he hasn't. That is not shocking and further confirms by belief that Timmons is now way down the list of options that the Steelers are considering should both Harrison and Worilds not be able to start the season.

While Carter is not the ideal solution, mostly because of this lack of experience, the extra snaps he is getting in practice along with the good chunk of playing time that he figures to get during the rest of the preseason should help him progress even more and it should make him a better option outside than Timmons would be.

Timmons is best when playing inside and his drop in production last year, that I broke down this offseason, showed that the likely reason of that was indeed because of the time that he was forced to play outside due to all of the injuries.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/steelers-not-likely-to-use-timmons-outside-again-should-harrison-not-be-ready/

sluggermatt15
08-15-2012, 08:04 PM
This is BIG time news to me. I have a bad feeling about Harrison being out for however long. Someone has to step up and fill the large void.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!

GoFor7
08-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Steelers Depot said there's rumblings that Jason Worilds may come off PUP soon. He needs to pull his tampon out and get to work soon if he wants to stay in the NFL.

Steelersfan87
08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
According to Worilds, he's being held back by the coaching staff, but personally feels like he's ready to go. This is what Mark Kaboly claimed that Worilds said to him like a week ago.

Atlanta Dan
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
done!

@Steelers_Fever As reported by Atlanta Dan of Steelersfever.com, @jharrison9292 could be out for the season and is strongly contemplating retirement.

:sofunny: - lol... just kidding.

Too bad Harrison did not have something minor like the "slight" laceration of Jamie Whitten's spleen:jawdrop:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8271177/jason-witten-dallas-cowboys-slightly-lacerated-spleen

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Coaches are holding Worilds out because he sucks and is made of glass. Carter can handle it until his glass hand is fully healed and wont lose any quality at the position. Another 2nd round reach that should have been Sean Lee, Pat Angerer instead of reaching for a tweener like Worilds.

Sean95m
08-16-2012, 01:37 AM
It's a knee scope, takes a week or 2 to heal. Harrison will be ending a Manning's career opening day!

pete74
08-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Worilds is going to be cut this year if he dosnt get healthy soon. he just cant stay healthy as a backup so i couldnt imagine the injuries he would endure if he had to start. i agree with Gonzo, we should of grabbed Lee in the 2nd instead of reaching for Worilds who most likely would of still been there in the 3rd. we would be sick with Timmons and Lee playing inside.

we found out last year Timmons cant play outside and i pray to god they dont try to put him there again this season. he is a good ILB and needs to stay there.

Steelersfan87
08-16-2012, 03:40 AM
People are way too damn critical of Worilds just because he's dealt with some injuries and he was a second round pick. The fact of the matter is that he's far from "sucked" whenever he has played. He played very well filling in at the end of the season last year, and he played through the wrist injury that he's recovering from now. Rest assured, he will be the primary backup outside linebacker when the regular season starts. Give the guy a break.

FrancoLambert
08-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Dodens,
"Give the guy a break."
Bad choice of words considering we're talking about Worilds! :sofunny:
But seriously, Lee should have been the 2nd round pick that year.

tanda10506
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
People are way too damn critical of Worilds just because he's dealt with some injuries and he was a second round pick. The fact of the matter is that he's far from "sucked" whenever he has played. He played very well filling in at the end of the season last year, and he played through the wrist injury that he's recovering from now. Rest assured, he will be the primary backup outside linebacker when the regular season starts.

Agreed. It is ridiculous that he gets hurt so much as a backup, but that wrist has been the same lingering injury. I thought he played real well when he was in last year, hopefully he will stay 100% this year and provide us with a good backup for Harrison.

Steelersfan87
08-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Keith Butler says that Worilds might play in the last preseason game.

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Dodens,
"Give the guy a break."
Bad choice of words considering we're talking about Worilds! :sofunny:
But seriously, Lee should have been the 2nd round pick that year.

In his P-G chat today Gerry Dulac says the Steelers coaches agree with you

The Steelers were prepared to draft Sean Lee in the second round and, at the last minute, didn't. The coaches thought Lee, for the way they play and what they ask their LBs to do, was the best fit among ALL linebackers in the draft. Ask me, I think they regret it. They should.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117655-gerry-dulacs-steelers-chat-transcript-81612

If the coaches thought Lee was the best fit among all LBs in the draft that year sounds like Colbert overrruled the coaches by picking Worilds:noidea:

Steelersfan87
08-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Way to leave off the context of the statement...come on.

Tprod: Gerry, when do the Steelers expect Jason Worilds to return from wrist surgery? He seemingly has missed a great deal of time over the last couple of years with various ailments and has not made the plays expected of a second round pick. Cincy's beleaguered former first round pick, Andre Smith, dominated him in the first Cincy-Pit game. Did the Steelers make a grave error in passing up Sean Lee for Worilds?

Gerry Dulac: Well, I don't know if they know when Worilds will be back because the injury has been very problematic with him. At the start of camp, I was told he would be out 2 to 4 weeks, with 2 weeks being the very optimistic prognosis. So it will be likely be another week or two. The problem is, he can't use his wrist to take on blockers or punch at the point of attack. And, if you can't do that, you're in trouble.

And, you're right, he has had a lot of injuries, but I thought he started to come on last year late in the year.

Remember, this is a guy who could have used the offseason OTAs and minicamp after his first year and that didnt happen because of the lockout. Now, missing all of this camp, or most of it, isn't going to help.

Also:

DaveBryan: Can you see the Steelers releasing Jason Worilds?

Gerry Dulac: No.

In his third year, isn't it time to finally move on from the fact that the Steelers drafted him in the 2nd round instead of somebody else? It's not like it's his fault. He's on the team and nothing can be done to go back and redraft 2010, so it's futile to continually criticize him based on the fact that they could have drafted some other guy. In his own right, he has played well when he's been on the field, and that includes 5 starts in the last 6 games last year.

PhantomJB93
08-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Lee should have been the draft choice, he's been great for Dallas and especially looking at our hole at ILB now it seems like it should have been obvious.

At the same time, Worilds gets WAY too much hate for not immediately exploding onto the scene and being James Harrison 2.0. Yes he's been injury riddled, but when he has played he's been perfectly solid. Not spectacular, but solid. It's not like the dude was a top 5 overall pick, he wasn't going to come in and immediately unseat two Pro-Bowlers. It's not like Chris Carter is setting the world on fire either, if anything he's been about the same as Worilds but people think the fact that a lower draft choice was used on him makes that better.

Atlanta Dan
08-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Way to leave off the context of the statement...come on.

There is nothing out of context about it

I was responding to a post that said Sean Lee should have been selected over Woirlds

After reviewing how the only way Woirlds has exceeded expectations is with regard to the time spent in the training room and whirpool, Dulac said the Steelers coaches thought when Woirlds was picked over Lee that Lee was the best fit for their system of ALL (his all caps not mine) LBs in the draft that year

Dulac then says if you asked the Steelers coaches if they regret not taking Lee over Woirlds they probably would, and should, admit they regret not drafting Lee.

If you want to support Woirlds you might turn out to be right, but Dulac clearly said the coaches thought Lee was a better pick at the time and have not changed that opinion

:drink:

Steelersfan87
08-16-2012, 05:11 PM
It's out of context because it doesn't represent the full scope of what Dulac was saying about Worilds. People should also keep in mind that the Steelers were deep at middle linebacker at the time with Larry Foote and Keyaron Fox. Maybe Jason Worilds is a worse player than Sean Lee, but that means nothing at this point. Jason Worilds was drafted, not him. What he contributes to the Steelers is what is important, not what Sean Lee contributes to the Cowboys. I think people calling him a bust are way out of line, and I also think his injury history is overblown.

tony hipchest
08-16-2012, 05:16 PM
the coaches thought Lee was a better pick at the time and have not changed that opinion

...which means colbert recognized worilds had a bit of added value as leverage against james harrisons contract.

Hawaii 5-0
08-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Alan Robinson ‏@arobinson_Trib:

Steelers LB coach Keith Butler says there's a chance Jason Worilds, who hasn't practiced in camp, might miss preseason. Best case: 1 game.

http://twitter.com/arobinson_Trib/status/236190730870202368

pete74
08-17-2012, 03:54 AM
People are way too damn critical of Worilds just because he's dealt with some injuries and he was a second round pick. The fact of the matter is that he's far from "sucked" whenever he has played. He played very well filling in at the end of the season last year, and he played through the wrist injury that he's recovering from now. Rest assured, he will be the primary backup outside linebacker when the regular season starts. Give the guy a break.

some injuries? the guy is always hurt and he isnt even a starter. i dont care if your the best player in the NFL, if you cant stay healthy then you wont be there long and thats all im saying. if Worilds dosnt show something soon i bet we cut him. we need the roster space. im not trying to bust up on the guy just stating what i feel. i hope he comes in week 1 and lights it up. i dont see Harrison being here next season and was counting on Worilds to take his place. he has the talent but needs to stay healthy

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 04:57 AM
If your argument is his availability on game day, then perhaps you should keep in mind that he missed less time last season than James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, and Chris Carter. None of them have missed a game that means anything in 2012, so let's worry about that when that happens. As far as people continually expressing a desire for him to show something, I don't understand why the end of last season doesn't count as something. He did very well in the 5 games out of 6 that he started to finish out the regular season. Why is this not included in his resume?

ricardisimo
08-17-2012, 05:32 AM
If your argument is his availability on game day, then perhaps you should keep in mind that he missed less time last season than James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, and Chris Carter. None of them have missed a game that means anything in 2012, so let's worry about that when that happens. As far as people continually expressing a desire for him to show something, I don't understand why the end of last season doesn't count as something. He did very well in the 5 games out of 6 that he started to finish out the regular season. Why is this not included in his resume?
Well, mostly because he had one really good game in that stretch, namely the first Browns game. Otherwise he was only so-so. I mean, an outside LB in a Steelers' 3-4 coming out of the game with something like one tackle and two assists is not really getting the job done, is he?

FrancoLambert
08-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Worilds was "OK" in the time he played down the stretch last season.
I wouldn't go so far as to say he was "good."
His tendency to be injured cannot be ignored.
Potential vs. performance, which is more important?

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Worilds had 27 tackles in those 5 games. If you prorate that over a season, that's 86 tackles, which is outstanding for a 3-4 outside linebacker. The most tackles LaMarr Woodley's ever had in a season is 62. 19 of those tackles would have been primary tackles, with prorates to 60. The most Woodley's had was 50.

But that wasn't even my point. Stats don't tell you necessarily how well somebody played. He set the edge in the running game, he showed awareness out in coverage, he put pressure on the quarterback. He showed that he knows what he's doing out there, and in general he looked more comfortable as the games went on.

Performance is more important than potential, and from my vantage point, he did perform well. He has concrete evidence on tape that he can play the position above the line.

Hawaii 5-0
08-17-2012, 12:58 PM
some injuries? the guy is always hurt and he isnt even a starter.

very true, and Worilds had a lot of injury issues in college as well...

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2012, 01:17 PM
An incisive interview by Ed.B. of the P-G with Mr. Harrison:chuckle:

James Harrison wasnít in a mood to have much dialogue today. He walked to lunch with no apparent limp nor wrap on his left knee that was scoped on Wednesday morning.
Hereís a Q/A I had with Harrison at lunchtime today:

Q. What did they do, scrape something out behind your knee?
A. I donít know.

Q. Can you bounce back at 34 as you might have at 24?
A. The body doesnít come back as quick, thatís just natural.

Q. What are you doing?
A. Iím doing whatever it is they tell me to do.

Q. What can you do?
A. Whatever they tell me to do.

Q. And what is that?
A. They havenít told me nothing yet.

Q. Are you swimming, stuff like that?
A. No.

Q. Can you still have a big season.
A. Yeah, Iíll be all right.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117667-ed-an-interview-with-james-harrison

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Ed Bouchette did a hard-hitting interview with a talkative James Harrison today:

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117667-ed-an-interview-with-james-harrison

A. I donít know.
Q. What are you doing?
Q. What can you do?
Q. And what is that?
A. No.

Edit: Ah, you beat me to it! :flap:

GoFor7
08-17-2012, 01:19 PM
An incisive interview by Ed.B. of the P-G with Mr. Harrison:chuckle:

James Harrison wasnít in a mood to have much dialogue today. He walked to lunch with no apparent limp nor wrap on his left knee that was scoped on Wednesday morning.
Hereís a Q/A I had with Harrison at lunchtime today:

A. I donít know.

Q. What are you doing?

Q. What can you do?

Q. And what is that?

A. No.

That'll make Ed cranky for the next few days.

tanda10506
08-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Damn, just stood his ass up. Tomlin must have gave them a good "talking to" about the media and injuries.

tony hipchest
08-17-2012, 03:39 PM
:sofunny: that is a GREAT interview. James didnt need no talking to from tomlin... thats just james being james. I guarantee you if ed had asked him about the hit DRC laid on leftwich and goodells subsequent response, james would still be talking.

pete74
08-17-2012, 04:10 PM
That was s very nice interview. I like how he got him to really open up. I love those long in depth interviews

FrancoLambert
08-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Worilds had 27 tackles in those 5 games. If you prorate that over a season, that's 86 tackles, which is outstanding for a 3-4 outside linebacker. The most tackles LaMarr Woodley's ever had in a season is 62. 19 of those tackles would have been primary tackles, with prorates to 60. The most Woodley's had was 50.

But that wasn't even my point. Stats don't tell you necessarily how well somebody played. He set the edge in the running game, he showed awareness out in coverage, he put pressure on the quarterback. He showed that he knows what he's doing out there, and in general he looked more comfortable as the games went on.

Performance is more important than potential, and from my vantage point, he did perform well. He has concrete evidence on tape that he can play the position above the line.

Be careful "prorating" Worilds' statistics for a full season.
He isn't durable enough to do that yet.
And, are you really saying he's comparable to Woodley?

teegre
08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
That was s very nice interview. I like how he got him to really open up. I love those long in depth interviews

The awesomely funny thing is that he actually probably got more out of James than most.

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Prorating it puts in perspective what he did in 5 games. I'm not saying he's going to have 86 tackles, I'm saying 27 tackles in 5 games is impressive for a 3-4 outside linebacker. James Harrison is a very special player to be able to record 100+ tackles at his position. Comparing it to Woodley's stats helps put into perspective what typical production from an outside linebacker is. If Woodley's career high in tackles is 62 and Worilds had 27 in 5 games, that's nothing to sneeze at. But again, the raw statistics themselves were not my point. My point is that Worilds is a capable player who has put on film proof that he can play the position above the line.

Hawaii 5-0
08-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Prorating it puts in perspective what he did in 5 games. I'm not saying he's going to have 86 tackles, I'm saying 27 tackles in 5 games is impressive for a 3-4 outside linebacker. James Harrison is a very special player to be able to record 100+ tackles at his position. Comparing it to Woodley's stats helps put into perspective what typical production from an outside linebacker is. If Woodley's career high in tackles is 62 and Worilds had 27 in 5 games, that's nothing to sneeze at. But again, the raw statistics themselves were not my point. My point is that Worilds is a capable player who has put on film proof that he can play the position above the line.

when he's not injured, of course...