PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Run Game Improves

bigtim3645
07-28-2006, 02:01 PM
While many will complain that the loss of Jerome Bettis could devastate a Steelers running attack that ranked 5th in the league last season, perhaps this loss is not so great a travesty as previously feared. While Bettis may be gone, Willie Parker who was the starter for only his first full NFL season will return. With one year of starting NFL experience under his belt things are still looking up for this young back. Willie might not be what most call a "prototypical Bill Cowher running back," however one simple argument can be made.

Superbowl wins with a "prototypical Bill Cowher running back": 0
Superbowl wins with a dynamic back: 1

Along with a predicted healthy return by Duce Staley who was brought in during the 2004 campaign to be the starting back, this pair of running backs could be one of the best in the league at season's end. (Staley gained 737 yards in 7 games before injuries in 2004)

However, the veteran leadership and guidance of Jerome will be missed. Willie Parker and Duce Staley both could have benefited from having a future HOF player in their midst, but despite such a loss, I personally expect the running attack to only improve...

Polamalu43
07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
While many will complain that the loss of Jerome Bettis could devastate a Steelers running attack that ranked 5th in the league last season, perhaps this loss is not so great a travesty as previously feared. While Bettis may be gone, Willie Parker who was the starter for only his first full NFL season will return. With one year of starting NFL experience under his belt things are still looking up for this young back. Willie might not be what most call a "prototypical Bill Cowher running back," however one simple argument can be made.

Along with a predicted healthy return by Duce Staley who was brought in during the 2004 campaign to be the starting back, this pair of running backs could be one of the best in the league at season's end. (Staley gained 737 yards in 7 games before injuries in 2004)

However, the veteran leadership and guidance of Jerome will be missed. Willie Parker and Duce Staley both could have benefited from having a future HOF player in their midst, but despite such a loss, I personally expect the running attack to only improve...

U forgot veron, I think this season we are gonna see more of veron, then deuce..

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2006, 03:02 PM
We've got some solid talent with Duce and Willie, and with Humes in there to compete along with Verron as the 3rd down back and Dan as our fullback, Im not worried. Just everyone stay healthy for once, PLEASE !

siss
07-28-2006, 03:14 PM
We've got some solid talent with Duce and Willie, and with Humes in there to compete along with Verron as the 3rd down back and Dan as our fullback, Im not worried. Just everyone stay healthy for once, PLEASE !
I'm really interested in seeing what Vernon Hayes can do. I think he's gunna do a lot this season.

WWIIOwheelz
07-28-2006, 03:41 PM
I agree, been saying that since last season.... Verron opened my eyes a little wider on more than one occasion.

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2006, 03:43 PM
U forgot veron, I think this season we are gonna see more of veron, then deuce..

Do you believe this because Duce will go down with an injury? If so, then I agree.

If Duce doesn't go down with an injury he's going to have one hell of a year. I'm praying he stays healthy for the Parker/Staley one-two punch in which I feel will be lethal. I'm not nor have I ever been very high on Haynes (who also has a history of injuries). While he's fine for the third down back situation, I would not want to see him in the place of Willie (in case of injury) or even Duce. Overall, I still have concerns with the run game heading into this season. Injuries being my main concern. Plus, I'm not as high on Veron as some others seem to be.

SteelerFanInCA
07-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Do you believe this because Duce will go down with an injury? If so, then I agree.

If Duce doesn't go down with an injury he's going to have one hell of a year. I'm praying he stays healthy for the Parker/Staley one-two punch in which I feel will be lethal. I'm not nor have I ever been very high on Haynes (who also has a history of injuries). While he's fine for the third down back situation, I would not want to see him in the place of Willie (in case of injury) or even Duce. Overall, I still have concerns with the run game heading into this season. Injuries being my main concern. Plus, I'm not as high on Veron as some others seem to be.
I agree with you there 83. I think if Duce can stay healthy he should have a pretty huge year. The guy has to be a lillte frustrated internally from all the time on the pine.

Eztarget
07-28-2006, 03:59 PM
I would have liked to see them cut Staley and sign Duckett.

I lived in the Philly area when he played there and most Eagle fans were happy to see him go after his horrible foot injury. That injury seriously slowed Staley and he really hasn't been the same since.

That said if Parker gets most of the carriers and Duce the short yardage I'll be happy. But don't be surprised to see Staley go down again half way through the season, the guy is just too fragile at this point of his career after the beating he took in a Philly uniform.

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2006, 04:03 PM
While there is always that chance of injury with Duce, the amount of time off he took since being in Pittsburgh, the fact that's he not going to be our starter and more importantly what he looked like when he was healthy, I think there is a good chance Duce will work out this season and finally earn his paycheck.

SteelerFanInCA
07-28-2006, 04:06 PM
I would have liked to see them cut Staley and sign Duckett.

I lived in the Philly area when he played there and most Eagle fans were happy to see him go after his horrible foot injury. That injury seriously slowed Staley and he really hasn't been the same since.

That said if Parker gets most of the carriers and Duce the short yardage I'll be happy. But don't be surprised to see Staley go down again half way through the season, the guy is just too fragile at this point of his career after the beating he took in a Philly uniform.
Duce did have a pretty good starting point with us though. He had some pretty good numbers up until the point where he got hurt. Hopefully the injuries are a thing of the past. :hope:

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm just hoping that o-line is able to open up the holes for Willie for the majority of the season. I'm sure this offseason will make Willie a much RB compared to last season, but with his style that o-line is going to have open up some nice holes for him in order to break off those 30-40 yard runs.

Also, there will be games where the o-line is just having an off-day and that's when Duce will show his true talent.

SteelerFanInCA
07-28-2006, 04:12 PM
I think the O line will be a lot stronger and better than last year. I believe there will be plenty of holes for Willie and Duce to run through.

Polamalu43
07-28-2006, 07:55 PM

actually yeah thats the reason why i said veron will have more playing time then deuce. don't get me wrong i love deuce man, i really hope he can stay healthy, if so we could have a huge year with willie and deuce pounding the rock.

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Cool. Just curious as to why.

tony hipchest
07-28-2006, 08:28 PM

with jerome as the main running back the cowher led steelers never made it to the sb. they did with a 2 pronged attack with bam and pegram in 95 and willie and jerome 10 years later. the combo of blier and franco proved to be pretty effective in the 70's too. it seems like its easy to get hung up on the "steelers power running game" and the belief that we need 1 rb to carry that out. one must not forget that at the end of the steelers dynasty of the 70's they had built up the capabilities to put on quite an arial assault.

balance is the key, and if that means using 2 backs instead of one league leading back, i am fine with that, and so is our current crop of players.

Petesburgh66
07-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Not only does Parker have another year under his belt but the entire OL will back again this year. The continuity of this unit will be huge regardless of who carries the ball.

stlrtruck
07-29-2006, 01:11 PM
The problem with Deuce is that he's consistently been out of the lineup more than he's been in it. I'd rather give the ball to Haynes and see what he can do. He's proven how reliable he can be coming out the back field. Let him have the ball more. Deuce is getting older (which leads me to believe that he's just prone to more injuries - imho), Haynes isn't that old so he can become a more reliable source.

BigDude66687
07-29-2006, 04:16 PM
I think we'll see more of kreider getting the ball this year, he's a tank

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Willie Parker will have another 1,000 yard season and by the end of the year Veron and Humes will be the power backs because i dont see duce staying healthy

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Willie Parker will have another 1,000 yard season and by the end of the year Veron and Humes will be the power backs because i dont see duce staying healthy

I agree Willie is going to have another 1,000 yard season. I'm thinking 1,400+ to go along with 7-8 TD's. But I think Duce can stay healthy. He doesn't have to carry the load. But I don't blame you for having concerns about Staley.

Indy_Steelers
07-29-2006, 08:56 PM
I never was really worried about our running game. as far as duce being out a lot last year, some of those games he sat out so the bus could play. so i hope he is ready to go this year. i predict willie parker between the 15s and duce or veron to punch it in. and i also see heath being a bigger part of our offense.