PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall and Casey Hampton off the PUP list

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Bob Labriola ‏@BobLabriola
RB Rashard Mendenhall and NT Casey Hampton have been activated from PUP. They won't be able to practice in pads until next week.

Wow, surprising. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean much for the immediate future, but they're good signs.

Edit: confirmed by the Steelers:

Pittsburgh Steelers ‏@steelers
We have activated Casey Hampton and Rashard Mendenhall from the PUP List.

The Steelers activated veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton and veteran running back Rashard Mendenhall from the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) List, the team announced today.

Hampton is in his 12th season with the Steelers and has played in 157 career games with 146 career starts. A five-time Pro Bowl selection, Hampton was recovering from a knee injury in the offseason.

Mendenhall is in his fifth year with the Steelers after originally being the team’s first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. Mendenhall has two 1,000-yard rushing seasons and has amassed 3,367 yards rushing in his first four years. He was recovering from a knee injury that he suffered in the 2011 regular-season finale at Cleveland.

Fire Arians
08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
wow this was a surprise. says a lot about how their recoveries are going.

OX1947
08-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Wow, didnt see that coming.

Fire Haley
08-17-2012, 01:41 PM
shocking

some miracle healing news would be great

Hawaii 5-0
08-17-2012, 01:46 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib:

Never would've thought Mendenhall and Hampton would come off PUP list before Jason Worilds.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

blackandgoldsc
08-17-2012, 01:52 PM
I have always wondered how sometimes coaches and teams say a player is still injured and then when all of a sudden somebody else gets hurt that plays the same position the original hurt player is almost instantly better. Not saying it is a huge, world-ending conspiracy, but it is a trend I have noticed in many sports at many levels. I am mainly referring to Mendenhall in this case. I want every player to do well so hopefully our O line will actually be good this season and hopefully it will show people that Mendenhall is a better player than people give him credit for...it's in his hands (no pun intended)

tanda10506
08-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Sure would be nice to have Mendy back if Redman's injury lingers. He wouldn't be 100% though so I'm not sure how much he would contribute.

Fire Haley
08-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Didn't numbnuts Bouchette just say the other day that Mendy would start the season on PUP?

Fire Arians
08-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Didn't numbnuts Bouchette just say the other day that Mendy would start the season on PUP?

i think most people just assumed that'd be the case. hampton off the list seemed like a decent chance, but i don't think anyone thought mendenhall would be back this quickly.

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 02:21 PM

So did numbnuts Kevin Colbert.

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2012, 02:21 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib:

Never would've thought Mendenhall and Hampton would come off PUP list before Jason Worilds.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

Mark Kaboly - just another hater drinking the haterade:chuckle:

Fire Haley
08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
so that means all these "beat reporters" are totally out of the loop, just like us

No wonder the rumor mill hacks like Florio eat it up

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Kevin Colbert as recently as August 7th reiterated his belief that Mendenhall would start the season on the PUP list. Be fair now.

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2012, 02:27 PM
so that means all these "beat reporters" are totally out of the loop, just like us

No wonder the rumor mill hacks like Florio eat it up

After Tomlin smacked down Redman the other day for talkng about his MRI I think the players are getting the message to quit talking to the media about their injuries and rehab

Tomlin's idea of the ideal response to dealing with the media is the "interview" Harrison gave to Boucehette today that is in the Harrison knee surgery thread

OX1947
08-17-2012, 03:00 PM
So did numbnuts Kevin Colbert.

Yah but, Ed is a numbnut, regardless what he says.

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Steelers bolster depleted stable of runners with Mendenhall off PUP list (http://www.examiner.com/article/steelers-bolster-depleted-stable-of-runners-with-mendenhall-off-pup-list-part-1?cid=db_articles) (read more)

The Pittsburgh Steelers have just announced that two additional players that began training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list have now been activated. The first, nose tackle Casey Hampton, is no great surprise, as he was expected to have been able to recover for the beginning of the regular season.

The second, however, is certainly somewhat surprising: running back Rashard Mendenhall. Mendenhall was expected to the regular season on the PUP list, which would require that he miss at least the first 6 games of the season.

What the move now means is that he can not be placed on the regular season PUP list; in order to qualify for the regular season PUP list, a player must have begun training camp there and remained there throughout. Having now been activated, he must now be carried on the regular 53 man roster.

Mendenhall, like Hampton, tore his ACL very late in the season. However, Hamptonís position is far less demanding on the knee ligament. Linemen are far more likely to make a comparatively quick from an ACL tear than a skill position player whose dynamics rely on sharp cuts that test the ligament.

The implications of Mendenhallís activation are immense. The ground game in Pittsburgh was already expected to be a point of emphasis in terms of becoming more efficient, and new offensive coordinator Todd Haley has had his hands full in terms of injuries at the position thus far.

In addition to Mendenhall, backup Isaac Redman, who is expected to carry the load in the early portions of the season, has been battling a groin injury that has flared up in the past week following the first preseason game. He reportedly had an MRI yesterday and is unlikely to play Sunday night against the Indianapolis Colts.

John Clay suffered a season ending groin injury himself, and starting fullback David Johnson tore his ACL and MCL in the first preseason game, also ending his season. Jonathan Dwyer, the remaining back with the most experience totaling 25 rushing attempts in two seasons, finally got back just yesterday from a shoulder sprain suffered in the first preseason game.

The left just second year man Baron Batch, who missed his rookie season with a torn ACL, and rookie Chris Rainey, who is not an every down back. The Steelers brought in another rookie, Jason Ford, just to add a warm body to the mix.

GoFor7
08-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Well, this sort of defies medical science. I hope they really think he's going to be ready before the 6th game, otherwise this might be seen as a knee-jerk reaction to the other injuries suffered at RB.

LVSteelersfan
08-17-2012, 03:26 PM
They don't activate someone off the PUP list and then I/R them do they? Just wondering.

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Well, this sort of defies medical science. I hope they really think he's going to be ready before the 6th game, otherwise this might be seen as a knee-jerk reaction to the other injuries suffered at RB.

This happening 2 days after Redman drops on all fours in practice and then is told by Tomlin to STFU about his MRI leads to all sorts of speculation

Ed.B. has some thoughts

Has desperation at running back prompted the Steelers to use Rashard Mendenhall faster than they had planned?

Mendenhall, who had surgery to repair a torn ACL seven months ago, was removed from the physically unable to perform list and will be able to join the Steelers in practices in pads as soon as Tuesday.

The move was made just days after a source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he did not expect him to be available until midseason and would not be rushed back into play because they did not want to jeopardize his health....

The moves came several hours after coach Mike Tomlin’s weekly pregame press conference, in which he did not mention the possibility

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117669-ed-mendenhall-back-just-7-months-after-surgery

Fast Wiilie Parker presumably is rested and ready

Fire Haley
08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Ed needs a new deep throat.

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2012, 03:37 PM

I thought Arians only leaked to Ron Cook given those valentines Cook would write to BA in the Post-Gazette?:noidea:

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Ed Bouchette is among the best in the business at what he does. If you don't like his personality, that's your problem, but you can't knock his journalism.

tony hipchest
08-17-2012, 03:41 PM
kaboly has also noted how hampton seems OK with his knee but has been wearing a giant ice bag on his elbow all camp.

its gotta be his fork holding, eating elbow. - tendonitis.

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I remember reading a couple people saying recently that Hampton was probably more concerned with his elbow than his knee at this point.

steelfury02
08-17-2012, 04:11 PM
if it were me (and it's not) I'd at least get Mendy dressed during wk 1. I'd also see if we can pull out a W at Denver without Redman. That groin injury has me worried.

Atlanta Dan
08-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Video of Mendenhall letting Tomlin know he is ready to come off the PUP list

GiwKb-x7wXQ

Fire Haley
08-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Ed Bouchette is among the best in the business at what he does. If you don't like his personality, that's your problem, but you can't knock his journalism.

BWAhahahaha....is that you Ed?

I don't believe a word he says and I can do anything I damn well please.

I blame twitter

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 06:50 PM
I will be watching the way Adrian Peterson progresses with his ACL recovery. He tore his ACL only a week earlier than Mendenhall and came off the PUP list 5 days ago, so they appear to be on a similar trajectory. Supposedly he could be cleared for contact as early as next week.

FrancoLambert
08-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Video of Mendenhall letting Tomlin know he is ready to come off the PUP list

GiwKb-x7wXQ

Good one! :rofl:

ricardisimo
08-18-2012, 09:39 PM
BWAhahahaha....is that you Ed?

I don't believe a word he says and I can do anything I damn well please.

I blame twitter
I never understood the Ed hate in this forum. His main fault appears to be that he is not a Steelers cheerleader. I remember the bile poured on him here back in '09 when he predicted the team would go 10-6 and miss the playoffs. I can't recall any apologies being issued when he turned out to have been - if anything - optimistic.

His refusal to suck off the Steelers brass and star players is what makes him a strong reporter. The only guy in town who even compares is Scott Brown. I'll take Ed over him any day.

Anyhow, I, like Ed, did not see this coming. Smells very much like desperation indeed.

Hawaii 5-0
08-18-2012, 10:14 PM

no kidding: :doh:

Ed: The State of the Steelers Ground Game

FRIDAY, 17 AUGUST 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Rashard Mendenhall will open the season on the PUP, thatís been determined. They are not going to rush him back, even with the injuries to others. Fullback David Johnson and halfback John Clay are finished for 2012 because of injuries.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...rs-ground-game

Steelersfan87
08-19-2012, 12:24 AM
That is what he was told by "a source within the organization" or whatever. You can't fault him for reporting on the information he's given. The media are not fools for being surprised about the Mendenhall news because it was very surprising. Kevin Colbert talked about how surprised he was about it himself the day it happened.

Hawaii 5-0
08-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Panic Room: Mendenhall Activated. Are Steelers Panicking Over RB Roster?

Aug 18th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/08/panicroom.jpeg?5dc56d

As the Steelers entered training camp a few weeks ago, GM Kevin Colbert told the press that Rashard Mendenhall would start the season on the PUP list. That guaranteed that Mendenhall would sit out the first six weeks of the regular season and Isaac Redman would begin to carry the load of the running game. As of Friday afternoon, that certainty vanished when the Steelers removed Mendenhall from the PUP list and activated him. Why the sudden change?

A mysterious groin injury that turned into a mysterious hip injury after an MRI this week is keeping Redman out of Sundayís game against the Colts. The extent of the injury is unknown, but ESPNís Adam Schefter speculates that Redman could be back to practice sometime next week. Thatís not really a big deal. With two preseason games left following Sundayís bout with the Colts, Redman has plenty of time to heal and get reps in before Week 1 Ė unless the injury is more serious than the Steelers are letting on.

The rest of the running back roster is a bit banged up, and perhaps that is why the Steelers were so quick to change Mendenhallís status. Redman, Dwyer, and Clay (who is gone for the season) have either sat out or continue to sit out of practices due to injury. That leaves only second year man Baron Batch (though really heís still a rookie) and rookie Chris Rainey. Batch turned heads last season before his ACL tear but hasnít really made waves since returning. Chris Rainey has impressed thus far and could be an option.

The Steelers canít keep all of these running backs when they gut the roster to 53. Perhaps that is why the Steelers feel that had to activate Mendenhall. Should Redman be out right away or within the six weeks of Mendenhallís previously slated PUP ride, there would only be a man or two ready to go Ė and they may not be the best options for the Steelers. But is this move a bit premature? And what will be the long term effects of a move like this?

I for one was happy to know that we wouldnít be seeing Mendenhall dancing his way along the line of scrimmage for a 2-yard gain (and thatís if he fell forward) for at least six weeks if not for the entire season. Iíve been smitten with Redmanís opportunity to become the featured running back for the Steelers. If Mendenhall becomes available after Week 1, will the Steelers try and shoehorn the two backs into sharing snaps during a game? Iím concerned over that kind of scenario and hope that Redman does not lose a chance to improve by losing reps over the course weekly preparation and game day. Were Mendenhall to remain on the PUP list and Redman crap the bed or become injured, then I would have been happy to see Rainey or Batch take over for a while.

Maybe Iím just panicking over what I thought was an ideal situation for a team to lose some baggage that always made the running game feel lackluster last season. Maybe Mendenhallís return will only stoke a fire under Redman because of the potential of losing his starting job quickly were he to fall short of expectations. Maybe Mendenhallís return would at least ensure that a seasoned back is ready to step up if Redman falls (although, something tells me offensive coordinator Todd Haley does not have any plays in the book of a pitch left that involves only dancing lateral movement and not forward progress). Who knows, maybe Mendenhall watched a lot of game film of himself while healing up and saw how much of a different back he was from the 2010 season to the 2011 season.

I just hope that the Steelers donít pull back on Redmanís leash too quickly and dig themselves into an unproductive running game by placing Mendenhall in unnecessarily early.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/08/18/panic-room-mendenhall-activated-are-steelers-panicking-over-rb-roster/

Bayz101
08-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Panic Room? LOL.

tanda10506
08-19-2012, 03:33 AM
After re-watching every game for the last 3 years this off season I see that Mendy really is our #1 back. The article mentions that he was happy that he wouldn't see Mendy dancing around the line of scrimmage for a 2 yard gain, and while I thought the same way last year and earlier this off season, I don't think that now. Mendy is a talented back who can take it to the house on any play IF we at least get some decent blocking, as opposed to Redman who is a straight forward runner and has not showed breakaway speed/capability (although reports in camp say that's changing). Behind last years O line Mendy looked like a stooge, running side to side a bunch of times and not getting any yardage. But it's because he was dodging guys in the back field and at the line. Sure he could have hit the hole like Redman but that's not how he runs. He requires at least moderate blocking. Redman was a much better option last year and a good option this year, but I think Mendy can be a big name with a good O line and a full time FB. Either way Mendy won't be effective this year, and unless the injuries continue or our RB's really fail to perform during the season, I don't see him playing all that much. I think our best RB this year is the O line. DeCastro and Colon pulling, as well as Pouncey on occasion, and some good run blocking on the outside by our tackle's should make any RB look good. Let's hope that's how it happens!

ricardisimo
08-19-2012, 05:14 AM
Mendenhall remains our most talented RB. Period.

Fire Haley
08-19-2012, 07:17 AM
I never understood the Ed hate in this forum

so it's too much to ask for accuracy from a reporter now?

I blame this on the new pimp daddies of the NFL splurting out every whiff of a story before it's even close to being confirmed, that's what I hate.

If all I want is rumors I'd read that hack Florio and wade through his speculation garbage

p.s. the PPG homepage sucks, I go to the Trib

FrancoLambert
08-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Mendenhall remains our most talented RB. Period.

:hatsoff: :applaudit:

Thanks Ric and Tanda,
I got pretty tired of all the Mendy bashing after last season.
For the umpteenth time, "It was the O-line" that caused all of the dancing and hesitancy.
If healthy, he is our best all around back providing both speed and power.
We'll be at our best with Mendy and Redman.

ricardisimo
08-19-2012, 01:59 PM
so it's too much to ask for accuracy from a reporter now?

I blame this on the new pimp daddies of the NFL splurting out every whiff of a story before it's even close to being confirmed, that's what I hate.

If all I want is rumors I'd read that hack Florio and wade through his speculation garbage

p.s. the PPG homepage sucks, I go to the Trib
Sure, I guess... as long as you understand that in this case the NFL pimp daddy in question was GM Kevin Colbert, along with common medical practice. I find that Ed reads between the lines better than most, and I don't think he's wrong with what he's reading in this case. Namely, it's hard to imagine a scenario bringing Rashard off of PUP which does not include heavy doses of panic amongst the coaches regarding the current RB situation.

Fire Haley
08-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I, on the other hand, enjoy a dull boring training camp - the less headline stories the better, they are all usually bad

Steelersfan87
08-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Adrian Peterson may play Friday night (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/19/adrian-peterson-could-see-game-action-as-soon-as-friday/). He was taken off the PUP list only 5 days before Mendenhall, and tore his ACL only a week before.

LVSteelersfan
08-19-2012, 06:20 PM
:hatsoff: :applaudit:

Thanks Ric and Tanda,
I got pretty tired of all the Mendy bashing after last season.
For the umpteenth time, "It was the O-line" that caused all of the dancing and hesitancy.
If healthy, he is our best all around back providing both speed and power.
We'll be at our best with Mendy and Redman.

Mendy bashing happens because he does not find a hole even when it is there. He seems to have a penchant for hitting the wrong gap and then dancing around. People like Redman because he just hits it straight up in there and gains yards regardless. The Mendy bashing is well deserved.

MACH1
08-19-2012, 06:36 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/haters_gonna_hate_stickers-p217904444531509465envb3_400.jpg

ricardisimo
08-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Mendy bashing happens because he does not find a hole even when it is there. He seems to have a penchant for hitting the wrong gap and then dancing around. People like Redman because he just hits it straight up in there and gains yards regardless. The Mendy bashing is well deserved.
Not so much. People see what they want to see and nothing more. So, when Redman stepped into the starter's role last season and had the same yards/carry as Mendenhall, and failing to score too terribly much, while his relief (Dwyer) was lighting it up, no one was calling for his head, which is what most people would call a double standard.

That said, I think his play against Denver was inspired and very promising. Now we get to see just how inspired.

GBMelBlount
08-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I am not sure this means they are definitely much ahead of schedule.

I would imagine it is just as likely they want to have them available before our 6th game in case they are are cleared before the 6th game AND we are, well, desperate.

tony hipchest
08-20-2012, 08:37 PM
vikings adrian peterson is freakishly ahead of schedule (unprescedented schedule). steelerfans should monitor his progress to guage where mendenhall MIGHT be in his.

Steelersfan87
08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
vikings adrian peterson is freakishly ahead of schedule (unprescedented schedule). steelerfans should monitor his progress to guage where mendenhall MIGHT be in his.

Exactly. Like I said, he tore his ACL a week before Mendenhall and came off the PUP 5 days earlier. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean they have the exact same timeframe for their recovery or even that Mendenhall is where Peterson was last week in his recovery, but it is still encouraging for a player that the Vikings anticipate being active week one may participate in a preseason game this week. Do I think Mendenhall will play in the last preseason game? Not necessarily, although I also don't rule it out. If I was asked to make an educated guess about when I believed he would be active for the first time, I would probably make a conservative estimate of week 5 after their bye week, thus only missing 3 games. Who knows? Maybe he'll have a 1000 yard season.