PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release Rod Rutherford

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Steelers Release Local Quarterback

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers announced they have released first-year quarterback Rod Rutherford prior to the start of the team's training camp.

Rutherford (6-2, 223) spent a portion of the 2005 season on Pittsburgh's practice squad. He re-signed with the team on Feb. 17, 2006. Rutherford, a native of Pittsburgh who played at Pitt, originally signed with the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2004.

In another roster move, the Steelers added NFL Europe wide receiver Marvin Allen to the team. Allen will spend the upcoming season on Pittsburgh's practice squad in accordance with the NFL International Development Practice Squad program.

The program, which is entering its third season, assigns international players to spend an entire season on an NFL team's practice squad. Teams in the AFC North and NFC East will each be assigned one player for the 2006 campaign.

Allen, a native of Dorking, England, spent time with three teams in his second NFLEL season in 2006, splitting time with the Frankfurt Galaxy and Rhein Fire during the regular season before playing for the Amsterdam Admirals in Yello Strom World Bowl XIV. Allen caught six passes for 79 yards with a 13.2-yard average.

Allen (5-10, 185) spent his rookie season in the NFLEL with the Frankfurt Galaxy in 2005, catching 12 passes for 136 yards (11.3 avg.) and a 21-yard TD.

Allen played four years for the London O's Senior Football Club and won three British championships from 2001-2003. He was also a part of the prestigious Team Europe squad, which takes the top junior players from around Europe to play against other high school all-star teams from the USA, Canada, Japan and Mexico.

http://news.steelers.com/article/66195/

SteelerFanInCA
07-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I think the signing of Jacobs pretty much sealed Rutherford's fate.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2006, 03:30 PM
No suprise there since we drafted Omar Jacobs. But I'm suprised that they cut Rutherford already. Didn't the Steelers also release Shane Boyd also a few weeks ago? I thought they would at least have four QB's in camp.

83-Steelers-43
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I think the signing of Jacobs pretty much sealed Rutherford's fate.

Agreed. So now we have Roethlisberger, Batch, Jacobs and Boyd heading into camp.