PDA

View Full Version : 2012 corners

Jpeezyiseternal
08-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Maybe im missing something here, but losing gay and mcfadden with no corners drafted early in the draft seems kind of....off? Allstar corners would turn the burgh into a solid solid dynasty

Hawaii 5-0
08-17-2012, 09:47 PM
the Steelers are very high on their 3 young CBs (Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown).

Steelersfan87
08-17-2012, 10:18 PM
You don't really need to draft cornerbacks high when you already have 4 that you like. When you get that deep into the depth chart, you're talking about special teamers. With that said, I wouldn't stomp my feet and hold my breath if they drafted a corner in the first round to succeed Ike Taylor, who, worryingly, is not getting younger as he ages.

Hawaii 5-0
08-17-2012, 10:22 PM
You don't really need to draft cornerbacks high when you already have 4 that you like. When you get that deep into the depth chart, you're talking about special teamers. With that said, I wouldn't stomp my feet and hold my breath if they drafted a corner in the first round to succeed Ike Taylor, who, worryingly, is not getting younger as he ages.

I think we're way more apt to draft a safety in the first round next year than a CB...

tanda10506
08-18-2012, 12:33 AM
We're set at #1 CB, we just need one of the other 3 to be a good #2. Allen and Lewis have already played and looked good at the Nickel spot last year, so we know we have a Nickel CB, so IMO there's not much to worry about. One of them will be a good #2. And I agree that we will be focused on either a pass rusher or Safety in the first round.

tony hipchest
08-18-2012, 01:35 AM
... Ike Taylor, who, worryingly, is not getting younger as he ages.

profound.

that shit is deep. :sofunny:

Hawaii 5-0
08-18-2012, 01:45 AM
:rofl:

Hawaii 5-0
08-18-2012, 01:47 AM
profound.

that shit is deep. :sofunny:

:sofunny:

Steelersfan87
08-18-2012, 01:19 PM
That's what I was going for. :wave:

Also, I wasn't really advocating for a first round corner, as that greatly depends on who is available when they pick. I was just saying that it wouldn't be a wasted pick. Taylor has two years left after this season, and who knows what he'll look like in 2014 anyway. While I like the three young guys, I don't know if any of them are a number one corner, even if Ike says that Cortez could be better than him some day. Obviously there are bigger needs (S, OLB, ILB and TE are not out of the question), but you never know who's going to be on the board.

casteeler
08-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Wow, I hope this isn't the way they play in the regular season

GoFor7
08-19-2012, 09:45 PM
LeBeau needs to stop having the corners give that cushioning space. In today's NFL you'll get picked apart that way.

tony hipchest
08-19-2012, 11:54 PM
LeBeau needs to stop having the corners give that cushioning space. In today's NFL you'll get picked apart that way.people been saying this for 5 years. we have won a sb and almost won another in that time, fielded the best pass defense twice, and given up the fewest amount of td passes since 2007.

i think lebeau knows what he is doing.

Bayz101
08-19-2012, 11:57 PM
If anything, D.L. IS telling them exactly what you're suggesting, Go4, but it's not always the guy with the headsets fault. The physical part of things is the biggest factor of all, and these corners are young. Give them some time, and they'll pull through.

GoFor7
08-19-2012, 11:57 PM
people been saying this for 5 years. we have won a sb and almost won another in that time, fielded the best pass defense twice, and given up the fewest amount of td passes since 2007.

i think lebeau knows what he is doing.

True, it did work in the past, but against Green Bay it killed them. Look at last year's New England game when they did play tight coverage. They've got physical corners that can play that style.

Steelersfan87
08-20-2012, 01:28 AM
This is the preseason. They don't even gameplan for preseason games. Everything is vanilla right now.

Fire Arians
08-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Lewis ad Allen look good.

brown, not so much.

tony hipchest
08-20-2012, 01:52 AM
True, it did work in the past, but against Green Bay it killed them. Look at last year's New England game when they did play tight coverage. They've got physical corners that can play that style.that style is NOT the zone blitz though. teams play man to man every week and still get beat.

people keep saying we scrap the zone blitz and play press.

New England last year was different w/ 2 kick ass TE's the focus. Green Bay was a fluke game anomaly that we shoulda won.

Steeldude
08-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Maybe im missing something here, but losing gay and mcfadden with no corners drafted early in the draft seems kind of....off? Allstar corners would turn the burgh into a solid solid dynasty

Gay was ok, but McFadden was horrible. I am still scratching my head over the Steelers re-signing him.

GoFor7
08-20-2012, 11:00 AM
that style is NOT the zone blitz though. teams play man to man every week and still get beat.

people keep saying we scrap the zone blitz and play press.

New England last year was different w/ 2 kick ass TE's the focus. Green Bay was a fluke game anomaly that we shoulda won.

And New England used the 2 TEs in 2010 as well. The Steelers stuck to the same zone blitz and got blown out. As for Green Bay, you call that a fluke? Have you seen Aaron Rodgers play? Give the opponent credit for taking advantage of a weakness.

Against certain opponents you have to change your game plan, the same old doesn't always work. People blasted Arians for that, and rightly so. LeBeau should be held to the same standard.

Now it's only preseason. Defenses are generally vanilla and teams don't game plan. I just hope when the regular season rolls around they aren't giving Peyton's receivers a cushion.

steelfury02
08-20-2012, 11:04 AM
the scheme, their effort, and physicality is what kept our pass defense tops, regardless of their whifs, and getting burned on occasion

I've always said that regardless of GB's receiving corp in XLV, 1 less turnover (Matthews blowing past Johnson and hitting Mendy is what did it - and if you recall, we might have been well on our way to completely taking momentum away on that drive) and we win. It just wasn't meant to be that day. I would love a rematch with them.

I love our defense's base, and I feel they have the ability to morph into whatever they need to match up well.

The amoeba defense last night, with 1 down d lineman was awesome and created a lot of heat/pressure, which can be just as effective against the Pats O.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Gay was ok, but McFadden was horrible. I am still scratching my head over the Steelers re-signing him.

They had nobody experienced on the roster and saw him as the best option. Kind of got painted in a corner.

B-Mac confused me so much. I didnt like him coming out of college, but he played solid here for 2 seasons and then started getting burnt like Tim McKyer.

I like the group we have here now with Taylor, Lewis, Allen and Brown. Just need to coach up the young guys. Need a S in round 1 next year as neither Clark or Troy are getting younger.

GoFor7
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
the scheme, their effort, and physicality is what kept our pass defense tops, regardless of their whifs, and getting burned on occasion

I've always said that regardless of GB's receiving corp in XLV, 1 less turnover (Matthews blowing past Johnson and hitting Mendy is what did it - and if you recall, we might have been well on our way to completely taking momentum away on that drive) and we win. It just wasn't meant to be that day. I would love a rematch with them.

I love our defense's base, and I feel they have the ability to morph into whatever they need to match up well.

The amoeba defense last night, with 1 down d lineman was awesome and created a lot of heat/pressure, which can be just as effective against the Pats O.

Agreed. One thing LeBeau did last year that I really liked was using 6 DBs - 3 CBs and 3 safeties. This basically gave Troy total freedom to do whatever he wanted.

Hawaii 5-0
09-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Steelers Name Lewis a Starter; Allen Ready as Well

By Kyle Curry on September 4, 2012

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin has named Keenan Lewis the starting cornerback opposite Ike Taylor. Lewis entered training camp as the starter, but faced stiff competition with second years corners Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown both eyeing his job. During camp Lewis suffered a shoulder injury, but refusing to let his starting job slip away he played through the injury and never conceeded the starting job to Allen.

Curtis Brown was also hoping to make a move for the starting job, but some inconsistent play during the pre-season landed him in the fourth spot on the depth chart. Cortez Allen, on the other hand, did everything he could to take the starting job, but Lewis played equally as well and held him off. Had Lewis slipped up at all Allen would have had a chance to unseat him, but strong play from both corners kept them in their spots when the final depth chart was released.

Although Allen was unable to win the starting job he will be seeing plenty of playing time as the third cornerback. He also provides the Steelers with one third of their furture cornerback core. Allen, Brown, and Lewis are almost as good as their offensive counterparts, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emmanuel Sanders. If the Steelers can keep their young groups of wide receivers and corners together into the future they should have plenty of continued success on both sides of the ball for years to come.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_name_lewis_a_starter_allen_ready_as_well/11630443

tony hipchest
09-05-2012, 02:31 AM
in the past few years, the steelers nickel back got more snaps than NT, which isnt as much an indictment on casey hampton as much as it is a testament of which direction offenses in this league are heading.

ricardisimo
09-05-2012, 04:19 AM
Allen, Brown, and Lewis are almost as good as their offensive counterparts, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emmanuel Sanders.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_name_lewis_a_starter_allen_ready_as_well/11630443
Ummm... no. Maybe one day, but not any time soon.

Galax Steeler
09-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Ummm... no. Maybe one day, but not any time soon.

I have to agree with this statement.

GoFor7
09-05-2012, 10:41 AM
in the past few years, the steelers nickel back got more snaps than NT, which isnt as much an indictment on casey hampton as much as it is a testament of which direction offenses in this league are heading.

Pretty much. I don't expect the Steelers to be in their base defense very often in this game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2012, 10:42 AM
I really hope that Keenan Lewis can remain the #2 CB. I have had high hopes since he was drafted that he would be starting opposite Ike and eventually succeeding Ike when he retires.

Lewis, Allen, Brown can be a solid core of players in the secondary and I like the upside of Robert Golden at FS in that group as well.

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 11:25 AM
our CBs = big ol' beastly beasts

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2012, 12:20 PM
our CBs = big ol' beastly beasts

You are correct......Keenan Lewis is a beast!!

teegre
09-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I really hope that Keenan Lewis can remain the #2 CB. I have had high hopes since he was drafted that he would be starting opposite Ike and eventually succeeding Ike when he retires.

Lewis, Allen, Brown can be a solid core of players in the secondary and I like the upside of Robert Golden at FS in that group as well.

I agree: I hope that Lewis can start... opposite of Cortez Allen. :wink02: I like me some Cortez Allen (aka "Ike Taylor, part II").

Tomlin loves Lewis's physical attributes, but has mentioned that Lewis just need to put it together up top. I think that it will click for him in about another three months... but, if not, a freind of mine suggested that maybe he has the better mental make-up to play FS. Your thoughts, please.

I also had really high hopes for Curtis Brown. Wow!!! Thus far, I've been dead wrong. Speaking again about playing FS, maybe HE is the one that should move.

And, Robert Golden is just that: golden.
A glowing, golden beast... with upside... and smooth hips.

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 03:17 PM
beast with smooth hips remark = coffee on desk

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2012, 05:29 PM
I agree: I hope that Lewis can start... opposite of Cortez Allen. :wink02: I like me some Cortez Allen (aka "Ike Taylor, part II").

Tomlin loves Lewis's physical attributes, but has mentioned that Lewis just need to put it together up top. I think that it will click for him in about another three months... but, if not, a freind of mine suggested that maybe he has the better mental make-up to play FS. Your thoughts, please.

I also had really high hopes for Curtis Brown. Wow!!! Thus far, I've been dead wrong. Speaking again about playing FS, maybe HE is the one that should move.

And, Robert Golden is just that: golden.
A glowing, golden beast... with upside... and smooth hips.

Keenan Lewis played a lot of Man coverage at Oregon St. He has had to learn how to play Off-man in LeBeau's system and thus the time adjusting. IDK if he is a FS candidate, as that will take some more learning.

I think Golden is that guy who was a CB for 3 years at Arizona and then converted to a S his final year of college. Golden is a CB playing FS and hopefully the successor to Clark.

Rod Woodson was on Jim Rome today and said that "you dont need an in the box safety any more in the NFL". The passing game requires you have more coverage guys than run stuffers. I think a bunch of guys like we have now fits that bill.

teegre
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Keenan Lewis played a lot of Man coverage at Oregon St. He has had to learn how to play Off-man in LeBeau's system and thus the time adjusting. IDK if he is a FS candidate, as that will take some more learning.

I think Golden is that guy who was a CB for 3 years at Arizona and then converted to a S his final year of college. Golden is a CB playing FS and hopefully the successor to Clark.

Rod Woodson was on Jim Rome today and said that "you dont need an in the box safety any more in the NFL". The passing game requires you have more coverage guys than run stuffers. I think a bunch of guys like we have now fits that bill.

1. Thank you for your opinion on Lewis to FS (I was truly asking for it).

2. I agree: I like Golden. I foresee a secondary of Golden, Mundy (as the safeties)... and Lewis, Allen, & Brown (as the three CBs).

3. Makes a ton of sense. Going back to #2: Mundy & Golden both played a lot of CB in college (Mundy played FS, SS, & CB in WVU's 3-3-5). Tehir versatility and/or coverage ability will help them as pass defenders (since the NFL is now a pass-first league).

teegre
09-05-2012, 06:43 PM
:hatsoff:beast with smooth hips remark = coffee on desk

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2012, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=teegre;1026407]
2. I agree: I like Golden. I foresee a secondary of Golden, Mundy (as the safeties)... and Lewis, Allen, & Brown (as the three CBs).

QUOTE]

I can see the Steelers using their top pick on a Safety in next year's draft. Considering that Troy will be 32 next season and Clark 33....I dont see how they can ignore getting younger and better at the position.

tanda10506
09-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I can see the Steelers using their top pick on a Safety in next year's draft. Considering that Troy will be 32 next season and Clark 33....I dont see how they can ignore getting younger and better at the position.

Agreed, not only can I see it, but it's almost mandatory. We will likely never find a "replacement" for Polamalu, but due to the way the game is changing, a great pass coverage SS will be an asset. We don't have anybody like that now behind Polamalu. I don't see Mundy being able to fill Clark's shoes either. As mentioned, Golden might be the guy to fill that spot, but either way we need to draft a safety, it's just a question of whether we'll need 1 or 2. Getting them on the team while Troy and Clark are still playing at a high level, and letting them learn from them, will help a lot.

teegre
09-05-2012, 09:15 PM

You know... I've looked forward to this upcoming draft for a few years now. Knowing that Troy's days were numbered, I started looking at the safeties... and next year is "the year of the safety."

Eric Reid, TJ McDonald, Robert Lester, Tony Jefferson, Matt Elam... Tyrann Mathieu (maybe not Mathieu).

I'd like to hope that Mundy & Golden could be the starting tandem (I like Mundy more than most, I know)... but, I would also love to see Reid, McDonald, or Elam selected by the Steelers at 32.