46. Terrence Frederick

47. Troy Polamalu
48. Ryan Clark
49. Ryan Mundy
50. Will Allen

51. Shaun Suisham
52. Jeremy Kapinos
53. Greg Warren

Thoughts? I know we're only one preseason game in, but it was worth a try.

GoFor7
08-18-2012, 04:08 PM
That's close. My only question marks would be Maze, and perhaps one fewer D-lineman (Bryant) and one more linebacker. That might depend on the status of Worlids. Also, what about Mendenhall?

Steelersfan87
08-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Well, first of all, with Mendenhall off the PUP list, he's either on the roster, injured reserve, or cut. Here's my predictions:

QBs: Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch

RBs: Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, Baron Batch, Chris Rainey

FB: Will Johnson

TE: Heath Miller, Leonard Pope

WR: Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, Derrick Williams

O Line: Maurkice Pouncey, Willie Colon, David DeCastro, Marcus Gilbert, Max Starks, Mike Adams, Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster, Trai Essex

D Line: Casey Hampton, Steve McLendon, Alameda Ta'amu, Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, Cameron Heyward, Al Woods

LBs: James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, LaMarr Woodley, Jason Worilds, Sean Spence, Stevenson Sylvester, Chris Carter, Brandon Johnson

CBs: Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, Terrence Frederick

S: Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Ryan Mundy, Will Allen

LS: Greg Warren
K: Shaun Suisham
P: Jeremy Kapinos

Much of this is predicated on some things that Todd Haley and others have said during the offseason that hint toward different things, particularly about having the desire to have the 11 best guys on the field. With that in mind, I see 5 WR sets being used very sparsely, and it's possible that they only carry 4 WRs so that they can carry 3 TEs. I don't really feel great about my 2 TE prediction, just because it seems so shallow and Will Johnson hasn't played any TE in training camp, but I also have a hard time imagining them leaving either Baron Batch or Jonathan Dwyer off the roster for a third TE until Weslye Saunders gets back. They could use Jamie McCoy at FB since he's also a TE, but from what I've read, the team actually really likes Johnson. So as it stands right now, I see them going with 5 RBs and 2 TEs until Saunders is back, and then, depending on the health of Mendenhall and Redman, either Dwyer or Batch goes to the practice squad, unless injuries decide that move beforehand. On the line, I don't think Beachum, Scott, or anybody else has shown enough to bump Essex off the roster, especially since anybody likely to bump him off would have practice squad eligibility.

On the defensive side of the ball, the talent seems to be concentrated in the front 7 such that I see them taking 7 linemen again, as they did last year, and 9 LBs, which is rare. The former is simply because Al Woods is better than any other DB in camp, and the latter is partially due to the injuries at OLB to Harrison and Worilds, of course. Brandon Johnson has looked very good, especially recently, according to reports, and he's a veteran with lots of starting experience and is an asset on special teams to justify the surplus in linebackers. Terrence Frederick gets the nod over Josh Victorian and Andre Freeman because only he and Cortez Allen have been playing the nickel so far in camp from what I've read. Plus, of course, they also drafted him. There's a slim chance that they carry 5 safeties, but I don't believe that they will because the top 2 left off the roster, Da'mon Cromartie-Smith and Robert Golden, have practice squad eligibility.

There's no reason for Greg Warren to go anywhere right now. Kapinos needs to get back by the last preseason game to secure his spot. Shaun Suisham has done nothing thus far to relinquish his spot, so no reason to assume he loses it.

As far as the practice squad goes, here's what it looks like in my mind at this point:

G/T Chris Scott
G/T Kelvin Beachum
S Robert Golden
DE Corbin Bryant
OLB Adrian Robinson
WR Tyler Beiler
WR Toney Clemons
TE David Paulson

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-18-2012, 08:50 PM
I am honestly miffed about what they are gonna do now with Mendenhall. I think it would be pretty stupid to leave a roster spot open for him for the first six weeks and have him be inactive...we will have to see. My reason for picking Maze is purely as a Darren Sproles kind of kick returner. He really impressed me last week. I don't see Brown being a returner again this year, since he's going to have a heavy load to handle at receiver. David Paulson is my pick to be the main FB by the way.

GoFor7
08-18-2012, 08:55 PM
I am honestly miffed about what they are gonna do now with Mendenhall. I think it would be pretty stupid to leave a roster spot open for him for the first six weeks and have him be inactive...we will have to see. My reason for picking Maze is purely as a Darren Sproles kind of kick returner. He really impressed me last week. I don't see Brown being a returner again this year, since he's going to have a heavy load to handle at receiver. David Paulson is my pick to be the main FB by the way.

Why waste a roster spot for that? Rainey fills that role.

Hawaii 5-0
08-18-2012, 10:34 PM
a bit of advice for you Jeremy Kapinos:

you can't make the club from the tub...

tanda10506
08-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Weather Johnson is there or not (not likely), Batch will be a back up QB for us this year as he should. Not sure about Maze at WR, that's still up in the air. I could see us keeping another LB like Johnson or Robinson. They both have been playing great and we don't seem to have much faith in Sylvester at all. Plus Worilds and Harrison have been injured a lot lately and Foote isn't the best in coverage (although he did well last year). I'd like to see them keep the rookie kicker in some way, even if it's just on the practice squad or something. This has been argued over and over so I don't want to start it up again, but let's put it this way, Suisham is not an ideal kicker and a replacement of higher quality would be great. Also, even though he got burnt pretty bad the first preseason game, i think Kelvin Beachum will be on the final 53 as line depth scares have already happened and we have only played one half ass game. Overall I agree with most of it.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
08-19-2012, 03:01 PM
A couple of things I think I think:

1. Kapinos will either be on the PUP or IR'ed - and Butler makes the 53.

2. If things don't change soon, Worilds will stay on the PUP through week six - and Adrian Robinson takes his spot on the 53, giving us 9 LBs. With both Harrison and Worilds so questionable for week one, we need to have interchangeable pieces to pressure Peyton... and this has to come from the OLB spot. I think both Al Woods or Corbin Bryant pay the price, and get released - especially if the Big Snack is ready - because McLendon can substitute at DE (if necessary), which gives us remarkable position flexibility at DL. One of the two can end up on the PS, and Carter would start at ROLB against Denver. To keep the pass rush fresh, we would still have Johson, Sylvester and Robinson in the wings.

3. Assuming Wallace shows, I think the questionable status of both Mendy and Redman force us to keep 5 RBs - including Rainey. The 25th Offensive player would be either a TE - David Paulson, IMO - or a 5th reciever, if someone comes up huge in the next 2 games. The leading WR contenders could be Williams, Clemons, Beiler or Maze, but Maze gets points for his ST functionality... if the roster goes that way. We kept Stefan Logan for his returns alone, but Rainey has those skills, too.

It's just a matter of who steps up, the next couple of weeks. Personally, I'd prefer Paulson, because I have only Will Johnson serving as FB, and I don't want to see Heath Miller acting as a battering ram - for the same reason I don't want to see Antonio Brown returning punts.

4. Tomlin can be sentimental, regarding some senior citizens. Hines Ward had no business starting last year - and Jerrod Johnson will have to hugely impress tonight, to have a chance to supplant Charlie Batch. I love old Batch, but we don't need two 30+ year old backups, IMO. No, we're not looking at Johnson to develop into Ben's (eventual) replacement, but Batch's ceiling is lowering, and I'm not sure I trust him any more... Besides, Lefty can't possibly get hurt again, can he? LOL...

Kingmagyar
08-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Because of Wes Saunders and the Mendenhall situation there is going to be one big surprise cut in there somewhere. Also a player cut the team hopes to get on their practice squad will go elsewhere.

They just don't have enough spots for the guys they may need to keep.

Jerrod Johnson can easily be placed on the practice squad so Batch will stay. If Johnson's work in the first game is any indication on where he needs to be he is far from that point of being a capable backup.

Hawaii 5-0
08-19-2012, 04:21 PM
A couple of things I think I think:

1. Kapinos will either be on the PUP or IR'ed - and Butler makes the 53.

2. If things don't change soon, Worilds will stay on the PUP through week six - and Adrian Robinson takes his spot on the 53, giving us 9 LBs. With both Harrison and Worilds so questionable for week one, we need to have interchangeable pieces to pressure Peyton... and this has to come from the OLB spot. I think both Al Woods or Corbin Bryant pay the price, and get released - especially if the Big Snack is ready - because McLendon can substitute at DE (if necessary), which gives us remarkable position flexibility at DL. One of the two can end up on the PS, and Carter would start at ROLB against Denver. To keep the pass rush fresh, we would still have Johson, Sylvester and Robinson in the wings.

3. Assuming Wallace shows, I think the questionable status of both Mendy and Redman force us to keep 5 RBs - including Rainey. The 25th Offensive player would be either a TE - David Paulson, IMO - or a 5th reciever, if someone comes up huge in the next 2 games. The leading WR contenders could be Williams, Clemons, Beiler or Maze, but Maze gets points for his ST functionality... if the roster goes that way. We kept Stefan Logan for his returns alone, but Rainey has those skills, too.

It's just a matter of who steps up, the next couple of weeks. Personally, I'd prefer Paulson, because I have only Will Johnson serving as FB, and I don't want to see Heath Miller acting as a battering ram - for the same reason I don't want to see Antonio Brown returning punts.

4. Tomlin can be sentimental, regarding some senior citizens. Hines Ward had no business starting last year - and Jerrod Johnson will have to hugely impress tonight, to have a chance to supplant Charlie Batch. I love old Batch, but we don't need two 30+ year old backups, IMO. No, we're not looking at Johnson to develop into Ben's (eventual) replacement, but Batch's ceiling is lowering, and I'm not sure I trust him any more... Besides, Lefty can't possibly get hurt again, can he? LOL...

$$$$ great post! :thumbsup:

Steelersfan87
08-19-2012, 06:35 PM
1. It sounds like Kapinos is beginning to get back to work, actually. He may start kicking again next week.

2. I don't think they would have Adrian Robinson on the roster this year unless both Worilds and Harrison start on the PUP list - which I personally highly doubt. If one or the other starts on the PUP, they will likely carry 8 linebackers, with Johnson being the 8th, who can play both inside and out. However, with the news about Stevenson Sylvester having a torn MCL and missing 3 to 4 weeks, that could change things.

3. As I wrote in my prediction, I agree with you about them possibly keeping 5 RBs. It's also certainly more than possible that they keep 3 TEs - either Paulson, Peele, or McCoy - and only 4 receivers (with Rainey being able to function in that capacity. I think this year's roster is a lot harder to predict than last year on the whole, actually.

4. I think Ed Bouchette made a good point yesterday about Johnson's future: namely, that there's not enough work during the regular season to keep a 4th QB, whether on the practice squad or otherwise. So I think he's going to need to beat Batch outright, or have somebody suffer an injury, to have a future with Pittsburgh, at least this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's still a free agent next year...

Hawaii 5-0
08-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Steelers WR David Gilreath Impresses in Steelers 26-24 Win over Indianapolis Colts

by Neal Coolong on Aug 19, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5099741/150500695_extra_large.jpg

It was a night to remember for deep roster hopeful WR David Gilreath.

Mired toward the bottom of an underachieving pile of potential fifth receivers, Gilreath vaulted himself to the top of that competition in the second half of Pittsburgh's 26-24 win over Indianapolis in Pittsburgh Sunday night.

His first catch, a 41-yarder from QB Charlie Batch on 3rd-and-11, extended a drive that led to a Danny Hrapmann field goal.

He made two more catches in the fourth quarter - both on third down, and one for 24 yards from QB Jerrod Johnson on 3rd-and-16 - as the Steelers came from behind to get their first preseason victory.

In a game where the Steelers offense mustered just one touchdown, a 57-yard shock of electricity by Antonio Brown, the Steelers back-up players struggled quite a bit. It was another poor outing by second-round pick OT Mike Adams, who surrendered another 2.5 sacks and was nearly bowled over by a third-string Colts pass rusher on another play.

While RB Baron Batch did not rack up yards or make any big plays with the ball, he ran noticeably harder in this game compared to the Steelers first preseason game. He also got way down field on Brown's touchdown, making a block that could have been the last Colts attempt to prevent him from scoring.

RB Chris Rainey, the hero from the first game, fumbled on his first touch and took a significant hit on the play. He left the field for a few plays. He returned but did not make a major impact rushing or receiving.

Johnson, on the other hand, looked significantly better, and may have given himself a chance to unseat veteran third-string QB Batch. He was 4-for-5 passing, including the big gainer to Gilreath, and led the Steelers to the game-winning field goal with less than a minute to play.

The Steelers' starting defense flummoxed rookie QB Andrew Luck for the first portion of the game, leading to a few poor throws through strong coverage and pressure. Luck regained his composure and carved the Steelers - mostly consisting of their non-injured starters - up for much of the second quarter. He led the Colts to two touchdown drives and a last-second field goal despite throwing two interceptions.

One of those picks - the one returned for a touchdown by CB Ike Taylor - was on him. The other was a dropped pass directly in the receiver's hands that he tipped in the air. CB Cortez Allen plucked it out of the air for the turnover.

The Steelers will travel to Buffalo for their third preseason game Aug. 25.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/19/3254666/steelers-game-analysis-david-gilreath-depth-chart-injury-report-indianapolis-colts

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-20-2012, 01:29 AM
I'd say the biggest development in tonight's game (as mentioned in the posted article) is that David Gilreath has become arguably the favorite to win the #5 WR spot.

Hawaii 5-0
08-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Steelers Position Battle Review: RB Jason Ford, S Robert Golden Giving Reasons to Stay

by Neal Coolong on Aug 20, 2012

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5101810/150500705_extra_large.jpg

Reggie Wayne #87 of the Indianapolis Colts is tackled by Chris Carter #54 of the Pittsburgh Steelers during the game on August 19, 2012 at Heinz Field

With two games left, and cuts coming after both of them, the position battles the Steelers have this preseason are intensifying.

Pittsburgh's 26-24 win over Indianapolis Sunday answered a few questions, posed a few more and put to rest none of them. A few spots are still anyone's to win and could come down to performances in the final two preseason games.

The tape of Sunday's game is going to show RB Chris Rainey's stock drop a little bit and RB Baron Batch's increased. WR David Gilreath took possession of the front-runner spot for the 5WR position with authority while the challengers continue to languish. OT Mike Adams fell further away from the necessary standard of protecting the life of the quarterback behind him, and OG Kelvin Beachum is all but cut at this point.

A few quiet chargers are starting to make more legitimate claims for inclusion in the final 53-man roster.

Safety - While there clearly is no battle for the starting positions - Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu had those spots locked up years ago - the depth at both positions has been in question. And it may not be as dire as some previously thought.

Veteran Will Allen is competing, there's no doubt about it, but with each snap, Robert Golden is proving himself to be an aggressive player with a nose for the ball. He was in on a pass break-up last night after playing very well in run support in the preseason opener.

The main issue is the fact Clark will not play in the team's opener at Denver due to the medical condition he has that is aggravated by the high altitude of the Mile High city. That likely thrusts Ryan Mundy into the starting role, and requires a back-up to be able to play if/when needed. Is that Golden, or will the Steelers stick with the veteran due to his sizable advantage in experience?

Myron Rolle, a fan favorite, doesn't seem to be showing enough on the field to dust the luster off Golden, and may be out of the running sooner rather than later.

Running back - Out of nowhere, a new candidate emerges. On a night where Rainey fumbled and Batch averaged 2.4 yards per carry, Jason Ford and his Bus-sized butt ran with power and grace. He produced enough - 42 yards on eight carries - to make people notice. While this can be viewed as a testament to the growing concern of run blocking depth on the Steelers' preseason roster, his size and ability to continue moving after contact make him a legitimate darkhorse candidate.

It's more likely he wouldn't have been wearing a black and gold jersey last night had RB Isaac Redman not sat this game out, you have to give him credit; he made the most of his opportunities.

Jonathan Dwyer erased any shred of doubt of his inclusion on the 53-man roster with another solid performance. While Batch looked much better, and was the guy offensive coordinator Todd Haley called upon in the team's hurry-up offense early in the game, barring the unlikely scenario of the Steelers keeping six running backs, Batch still appears to be the odd-man out.

Outside Linebacker - With James Harrison and Jason Worilds out for the foreseeable future, it was a game in which Chris Carter could have taken a step toward becoming not just Worilds' injury replacement, but as the next long-term starting outside linebacker in Pittsburgh.

He didn't do much to justify that. He didn't do anything to eliminate himself from the competition, either. His development is critical to the Steelers' defensive success this season, simply because two of the three top OLBs are injured, and there isn't really anyone behind him.

Except undrafted rookie Adrian Robinson, who, with each passing game, is making it more and more difficult for Tomlin to cut him. Brandon Johnson does not look strong enough at the point of attack to be considered a viable option, and Stevenson Sylvester's MCL tear will keep him out for the next three to four weeks.

Robinson showed great leverage in run support despite getting taken out a play or two, and continued to flash his impressive first-step quickness. Each passing day makes questions regarding the stability of the position tougher to answer, but expect the Steelers to kick the tires on a veteran or two in the next few days.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/20/3254963/pittsburgh-steelers-preseason-position-battle-running-backs-jonathan-dwyer-baron-batch-chris-rainey

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Robert Golden is a guy that I hoped would make a case. CB turned S with a nose for the football. Still think he ends up on the PS.

I think Brandon Johnson has a better shot of making the 53 than Robinson. Especially with Sylvester out for a while.

Steelersfan87
08-21-2012, 11:10 PM
1. It sounds like Kapinos is beginning to get back to work, actually. He may start kicking again next week.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1213652.html

• Kapinos reported to camp July 25 and ran the conditioning drill, but two days later missed his first practice with “back discomfort.” Two weeks ago, the veteran punter had back surgery and is on schedule to play in the fourth preseason game.

“I hit some balls (Tuesday) and I felt really good about it,” Kapinos said. “I hit balls yesterday and every day gets better. Today from yesterday, I feel 150 percent physically better. I feel like I’m going to be there. We’ve got a pretty good plan.”

Hawaii 5-0
08-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Steelers Projected Roster: Getting to 53

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
August 29, 2012

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin spent the opening statements of his Tuesday press conference to point out the importance of the fourth and final preseason game to those players who are on the roster bubble.

In a game that will lack in playing time for established players, the fringe roster spots provide the only intrigue.

The Steelers traditionally play the Carolina Panthers in the preseason finale, and Tomlin recalled performances by players such as LB Stevenon Sylvester, RB Jonathan Dwyer and others in previous Panthers games that opened coaches' eyes.

"We looked at a recent history of the series here this morning to reiterate to some men in the room that this is a legitimate opportunity, the last opportunity to make a strong push to put them on the right side of the ledger if you will," Tomlin said.

There are only a handful of roster spots still up for grabs. Here's a look at the how the roster will look come final cut-down Friday:

Stock rising: TE David Paulson. The writing is on the wall for Paulson after the Steelers cut TEs Justin Peelle and Jamie McCoy Monday -- and that writing says that Paulson will almost assuredly make the team as the No. 3 tight end. Paulson was a seventh-round pick from Oregon in April.

Stock falling: WR Derrick Williams. The best chance the former Penn State standout had at cracking the final roster was for WR Mike Wallace's holdout to extend into the season. Williams was the most "veteran" (using that term loosely) of the candidates beyond WRs Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. Now there is only one spot, and the coaching staff has shown indications it prefers WR David Gilreath.

QB -- In: (2) Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich. Out: Charlie Batch, Jerrod Johnson. Sorry, Charlie. Uncertainty with injury issues at running back, linebacker and along the offensive line make it difficult for the Steelers to enjoy the luxury of a third quarterback. Batch grew up just a couple miles down the river from where the Steelers practice facility now sits, and he still lives in the area. Active in community causes (and at 37 years old), he likely isn't going anywhere else. The Steelers take advantage of that fact and release him now -- knowing they can call him on a moment's notice if something happens to Roethlisberger or Leftwich.

RB -- In: (6) Isaac Redman, Rashard Mendenhall, Jonathan Dwyer, Chris Rainey, Baron Batch, Will Johnson (FB). Out: DuJuan Harris. Six running backs sounds like a lot -- but in this case, it has a feel as if it's not even enough. Mendenhall is still recovering from a torn ACL and his status for the beginning of the season is doubtful. Redman seemingly has a new injury every week (currently, his ankle will keep him out of Thursday's preseason finale), and the other four backs have a grand total of 25 career carries.

WR -- In: (5) Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, David Gilreath. Out: Derrick Williams, Marquis Maze, Tyler Beiler, Toney Clemons. With Wallace at last with the team, a unit that was projected to be a strength finally is one. After the Big Four, the only question is who is the No. 5. Gilreath wins by default.

TE -- In: (3) Heath Miller, Leonard Pope, David Paulson. Suspended for the first four games: Weslye Saunders. Not much to consider here. Paulson's spot seems safe -- for at least three weeks. After that, all bets are off. The only possible scenario Paulson is cut is if the Steelers decide Will Johnson can line up at tight end on occasion. Still, that leaves the team too thin at the position.

OL -- In: (9) Maurkice Pouncey, Willie Colon, Marcus Gilbert, David DeCastro, Mike Adams, Max Starks, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, Trai Essex. Out: Chris Scott, Kelvin Beachum, John Malecki, Ryan Lee. DeCastro might end up on IR before final cuts are made, pending what is discovered during Wednesday surgery. OL coach Sean Kugler told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that DeCastro would not go on season-ending IR for the knee injury sustained in Saturday's preseason game in Buffalo. If that's so, the Steelers might want to protect themselves by hoarding more linemen. Almost assuredly, DeCastro's injury helped the cause of Essex, a versatile veteran who is a good insurance policy at any spot along the line.

DL -- In: (6) Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Casey Hampton, Steve McLendon, Cameron Heyward, Alameda Ta'amu. Out: Corbin Bryant, Al Woods, Ikponmwosa Igbinosun, Jake Stoller. Hampton has drawn rave reviews for his work in practice since coming off the PUP list 12 days ago. Hampton is coming off a torn ACL and also has a left elbow injury. When healthy, the Steelers have a very formidable group of defensive linemen. They like to rotate bodies in and out, so six is the minimum needed on the roster. A tough decision will need to be made if the team wants to carry a seventh.

LB -- In: (9) LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, James Harrison, Larry Foote, Jason Worilds, Stevenson Sylvester, Chris Carter, Sean Spence, Adrian Robinson. Out: Brandon Johnson, Brandon Hicks, Marshall McFadden. Extra bodies are needed here because of the uncertainty surrounding the readiness of Harrison and Worilds. Both were just taken off the PUP list Tuesday, and each will only have a week of practice before the season opens after missing virtually all of training camp. The top eight are all but set -- and Robinson and Johnson have both shown they're worthy. The Steelers likely will go for the younger, higher-ceiling option. But veteran Johnson is considered a special teams stalwart, helping his cause.

DB -- In: (10) Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark, Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Ryan Mundy, Curtis Brown, Will Allen, Damon Cromartie-Smith, Robert Golden. Out: Terrence Frederick, Josh Victorian. Golden was impressive on the practice field in Latrobe and also, to an extent, in games. The top six on this list are locks. Allen, a veteran and special teams standout, could be vulnerable.

Special teams -- In: (3) Shaun Suisham (K), Jeremy Kapinos (P), Greg Warren (LS). Out: Drew Butler (P). The combination of Kapinos' injury issues and Butler's stellar punting in preseason games makes the punting job an interesting battle. The smart money is still on the incumbent, but Butler would not be a huge surprise.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19967785/steelers-projected-roster-getting-to-53

67 calsteel
08-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Good prediction.Now with the IR rule passed we could keep one more player.Add Wood at d-line

Hawaii 5-0
08-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Unheralded Steelers Players to Watch During the Preseason Finale vs. Panthers

Aug 29th, 2012 by Dominic Di TollaSome

It’s here, it’s really here! Three down, one to go, and then destination Denver for Week 1 on Sunday September 9th. With the preseason winding down, there are still some spots on the 53-man roster and Practice Squad which are available and have yet to be settled. While the long-standing veterans have their jobs secure, there still exist plenty of players which will be fighting tooth and nail throughout this week to prove to the Coaching Staff that they have what it takes to be a part of this team. Due to the fact that the Steelers’ final preseason game is tomorrow, I thought that I should highlight a few players fighting for roster spots in particular which I will be keeping a close eye on during the game.

Robert Golden (Free Safety)

Like the player below him on this list, I believed all the way back in April that Robert Golden had a legitimate shot of at the very least making the Steelers Practice Squad during his Rookie season. So far, Golden has helped himself with some nice performances, and could even find himself with a roster spot as a backup Safety and Special Teams player come Week 1 for this team. Over three games, Golden has accumulated 5 Tackles, logged 2 Passes Defended, and had a nice break on an Interception which he returned 47 Yards last week. While he projects more as a Free Safety, Golden played both Safety and Cornerback in college at Arizona, and could find himself in some sub-packages in a year or two if he indeed stays on the roster past the preseason.

Corbin Bryant (Defensive End)

With a backup spot along Defensive Line available over the last week of the preseason, Corbin Bryant can seize the final 5-Technique position available with a strong performance. Bryant has done a solid job over the last two preseason games, and notched 3 Tackles and 1.0 Sack against the Bills last Friday night. Competition should be heated between Bryant and fellow youngster Al Woods, and both are sure each receive a decent amount of reps during tomorrow’s game to strut their stuff and win a job as the 4th 5-Technique in the rotation.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/08/6526152-230x300.jpg?6ba732

Drew Butler (Punter)

Do not get me wrong, Drew Butler has had a few inconsistencies here and there so far over his first three games. But when he has been on his game, the former Bulldog has sent some boomers and punted well enough to put the injured veteran Jeremy Kapinos’ job in jeopardy. So far, Butler has punted 19 Times for a whopping average of 47.7 Yards per boot, and stuck three of his 8 punts last Friday inside Buffalo’s 20 as well. While there is still one week to go, Butler could all but nail down the job with a solid effort and send Kapinos packing.

Derrick Williams (Wide Receiver)

The veteran from Penn State has definitely helped his cause (TD grab last week) to be a member of the Steelers 53-man roster come the opening weekend of the season. Wiliiams has accumulated plenty of experience on Special Teams during his career (42 Kick Returns 931 Yards in 2009), and could be used as the team’s 5th Wide Receiver if he beats out the younger players at his position. To earn a roster spot, Williams will have to unseat David Gilreath, Rookie Toney Clemons, and Tyler Beiler, and play well on all of the Special Teams coverage units he is assigned to during the game.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/08/6507152-300x204.jpg?6ba732

David Paulson (Tight End)

Because Weslye Saunders will be suspended, and David Johnson’s knee was shredded, the Steelers will be forced to carry a 3rd Tight End on their roster behind Heath Miller and Leonard Pope for the first four weeks of the regular season. Due to Pittsburgh’s need at the position, Rookie David Paulson could be called upon to fill the void and should receive some extensive looks tomorrow. Paulson (2 Catches for 11 Yards in 2012 Preseason) has very soft hands and could be developed into a complementary H-Back weapon in the Red Zone if he is deemed worthy to be kept long-term. If the former Duck does stay, he could be stashed on the Practice Squad for a season, develop his blocking skills and be ready to compete and contribute full-time in 2013.

Final Thoughts

The players I mentioned above are just a short list of some which I will be paying particular attention to. Plenty of others like Woods, Gilreath, Clemons, Beiler, Cornerbacks Terrence Frederick and Josh Victorian, Safety Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith, and Guards Kelvin Beachum and Ryan Lee will be laying it on the line during this week too. It should be at least intriguing to see how some of these hungry players duke it out over their final audition, and I am sure that the final roster will feature a few surprises. So let us sit, watch, and wait, and in only 11 short days the regular season will start. Then we will truly be: “Back to Football.”

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/08/29/some-unheralded-steelers-players-to-watch-during-the-preseason-finale-vs-panthers/

Steelersfan87
08-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Kapinos is reportedly not warming up tonight, so it looks like, as long as Butler doesn't completely shit the bed tonight, the job is his.

teegre
08-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Kapinos is reportedly not warming up tonight, so it looks like, as long as Butler doesn't completely shit the bed tonight, the job is his.

I hope that you are correct. [I mocked Butler in R5; wanted an upgrade on special teams; really like the kid.]

BUT... don't a lot fo starters sit out the last game? So, just because Kapinos isn't playing doesn't necessarily indicate that he'll be cut... right?

Blackout
08-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Can someone tell me what happened to Toney Clemons?

Hawaii 5-0
08-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Can someone tell me what happened to Toney Clemons?

he dropped too many passes in training camp, he has great measurables but bad hands...

Fire Arians
08-30-2012, 08:23 PM
he dropped too many passes in training camp, he has great measurables but bad hands...

limas sweed #2

Blackout
08-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Ah that's too bad to hear, I thought there was some potential.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 12:34 AM
I hope that you are correct. [I mocked Butler in R5; wanted an upgrade on special teams; really like the kid.]

BUT... don't a lot fo starters sit out the last game? So, just because Kapinos isn't playing doesn't necessarily indicate that he'll be cut... right?

Not necessarily, but in Kapinos' position, I think it might.