PDA

View Full Version : vernon davis highest paid TE

tony hipchest
07-28-2006, 06:14 PM
the #6 pick by the 49ers has yet to catch a ball and is getting paid more than a. gates or t. gonzalez. is that crazy or what.

other draft oddities:

jay cutler #11 signs a $48 mil deal. #12 h. ngata signs for the same length an $11 mil deal. i guess the moral of the story is you dont wanna draft a qb too early, too often. or a rb or wr for that matter.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Yea I think it sucks that a rookie can come in and make more then super stars at their respective positions. But until the NFL puts a cap on rookie contracts like the NBA did. This will continue to happen every year.

tony hipchest
07-28-2006, 06:29 PM
rediculous. granted in 4 years (assuming hes a pro bowler) he could possibly be a little underpaid. very doubtfull being that hes the highest paid already though. it will be hard for him to outpreform his contract like ben or polamalu have theirs.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Especially with Alex Smith throwing him the football.

LambertIsGod58
07-28-2006, 06:44 PM
If all the hype is true about this kid, he will be as great if not greater than Gonzalez and Gates......

MasterOfPuppets
07-28-2006, 07:00 PM
If all the hype is true about this kid, he will be as great if not greater than Gonzalez and Gates......
i'm a terp fan,( no jokes please) so i've seen plenty of this kid. he's a freakin animal. he's the perfect go to guy for a young inexperienced qb. i wouldn't be suprised to see him lead SF in receptions.

tony hipchest
07-28-2006, 07:12 PM
i'm a terp fan,( no jokes please) so i've seen plenty of this kid. he's a freakin animal. he's the perfect go to guy for a young inexperienced qb. i wouldn't be suprised to see him lead SF in receptions. i think he leads the 9ers in receptions too. my post was more of a knock on the system rather than him being worth it. like i said he might prove to outpreform his contract (unlikely being that he is already paid as the best). players like gates, gonzales, whitten, willie parker, lt, and larry johnson have proven they can come in and immediately be big time contributors their 1st year starting. i guess what is really rediculous is the big $$$ these highly picked qb's get when they usually only have a 50% success rate.

MasterOfPuppets
07-28-2006, 07:45 PM
i think he leads the 9ers in receptions too. my post was more of a knock on the system rather than him being worth it. like i said he might prove to outpreform his contract (unlikely being that he is already paid as the best). players like gates, gonzales, whitten, willie parker, lt, and larry johnson have proven they can come in and immediately be big time contributors their 1st year starting. i guess what is really rediculous is the big $$$ these highly picked qb's get when they usually only have a 50% success rate.
i certainly am not an advocate of huge rookie contracts. no way in hell should an unproven player make more than the elite of the nfl or even the same.i'm all for rookie caps for at least the first two years entering the league.that would give teams enough time to evaluate and gauge a players worth.then they can negotiate something long term.

Jeremy
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Puppets,

Do you ever go up to Frostburg to watch the Bobcats play?

MasterOfPuppets
07-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Puppets,

Do you ever go up to Frostburg to watch the Bobcats play?
about 4 times but not in the last 8 yrs or so.

Jeremy
07-28-2006, 07:55 PM
It might be worth a trip this season. They just installed new SprintTurf at Bobcat Stadium and it looks pretty sharp.

http://sports.frostburg.edu/images.bak/Bobcat%20Stadium/June%2020/Midfield.JPG

I just wish they'd do something about the high school style visiting bleachers.

MasterOfPuppets
07-28-2006, 07:57 PM
and why do you know about frostburg?

Jeremy
07-28-2006, 08:00 PM
I was a student there from 1997 until 2001.

MasterOfPuppets
07-28-2006, 08:02 PM
I was a student there from 1997 until 2001.
are you from this area??? did you ever attend the redskin practices?

Jeremy
07-28-2006, 08:07 PM
I was born and raised in Somerset, Pa. I made the decision to attend FSU based on the fact that my girlfriends was going to go there as well. Considering I had been accepted at Penn State, it was a bad decision. I never did make it down for any Redskin practices. My friend Jeff used to do security for them and he told me that I didn't miss much.

I did have a hole in the wall of my room my freshman year because one of the Redskins had kicked the wall one night before they left campus.

BBC
07-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Wasn't the previous highest paid Tight End Kellen Winslow Junior?

He's got some big shoes to fill :rolleyes:

BUCKEYE4EVER
07-28-2006, 09:33 PM
The average player only plays 4 yrs in the league and the league doesn't have garanteed contracts like the nba 1st rounders. Half of the players in the league their first contract is the largest in their career. It might not be right for rookies to make more than pro bowl players but some do. But you could of said the same thing when they were drafted! They made more than the previous star players. This trend will continue until they garantee contracts.

tony hipchest
07-28-2006, 09:51 PM
The average player only plays 4 yrs in the league and the league doesn't have garanteed contracts like the nba 1st rounders. Half of the players in the league their first contract is the largest in their career. It might not be right for rookies to make more than pro bowl players but some do. But you could of said the same thing when they were drafted! They made more than the previous star players. This trend will continue until they garantee contracts.well guaranteed contracts is probably the worst thing that can happen considering the players who arent cut for the nfl and injuries that happen. right now i cant say that ben is overpaid despite the lofty rookie contract he signed. c. palmers contract was probably a good deal for that matter (leave it to the stupid bengals to extend it prematurely) all in all, top to bottom, the nfl probably has the best system.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I think they should go for all the money they can get....But no hold outs and the NFL should put a cap on the picks.......Make each pick have a certain amount....no matter who the player is....worth it or not.....Then there would be no problem....A player picked in the 1st round 15th pick would know exactly what he was going to get as would a player in the 4th rd 130th pk
Each spot should have a set amount no nogitiating by either side

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-29-2006, 04:49 AM
I think they should go for all the money they can get....But no hold outs and the NFL should put a cap on the picks.......Make each pick have a certain amount....no matter who the player is....worth it or not.....Then there would be no problem....A player picked in the 1st round 15th pick would know exactly what he was going to get as would a player in the 4th rd 130th pk
Each spot should have a set amount no nogitiating by either side

I love that idea..that way you wouldnt have these over-inflated egos, who have never played a game, saying .."I may have been picked 7th, but I feel I am a 1st pick and should be compensated as such"...

lilyoder6
08-01-2006, 09:26 AM
i think that davis is goin to be a good te and will prob be one of there 2 weapons on offense. so he will be good but i agree that he doesn't need that much money yet.