PDA

View Full Version : Replacement refs!!!

tanda10506
08-19-2012, 05:23 PM
These guys are absolutely terrible and I can't be accused of bias because I'm not even referring to our game. I have watched many preseason games this year simply because I've been working from my computer a lot and there is a big screen to the left of it, and the thing I've noticed the most out of ANYTHING has been the terrible calls. In the Jaguars@Saints game the announcers were not only calling it how it was, they were keeping a tally of all the bad calls. They weren't using words like questionable, doubtful, or phrases like "I didn't see it". They were straight saying "No that is wrong", "No that's not the rule", and a few times made jokes about how terrible they were. Scary thing is that's not the only game that it's happened in. When I've noticed the bad calls or hear them mentioned I rewind and watch them again and every time they are truly terrible calls. If these guys are around during the regular season the whole year will be screwed up for every team, especially us, that's how bad the calls have been. They have made 2 poor calls in the Redskins@Bears game in the short time that I've been typing this. :banging::banging::banging::banging:

MasterOfPuppets
08-19-2012, 05:33 PM
the refs always have sucked...:noidea:

personally i think every call they make should be reviewed..especially the personal fouls and pass interference and holding.
they have 45 seconds between plays..if the fans and the commentators in the booth can determine a bad call in that time, why can't a review ref in a booth?

tanda10506
08-19-2012, 05:58 PM
the refs always have sucked...:noidea:

personally i think every call they make should be reviewed..especially the personal fouls and pass interference and holding.
they have 45 seconds between plays..if the fans and the commentators in the booth can determine a bad call in that time, why can't a review ref in a booth?

Penalties should definitely be able to be reviewed, often times the penalties are just as big as the plays that normally get reviewed. And yes the refs have always been terrible, and I think they have been bias against us for a while, but it's way worse with these replacement refs. If you get a chance to watch a lot of preseason games (not that you want to lol), you will see how bad it is. It's ridiculous. Way worse.

steelerchad
08-19-2012, 09:44 PM
What are the chances we actually go to week 1 with these replacement guys?
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have found a new appreciation for the true NFL refs. These guys are ridiculously bad. They don't even know the rules. The best sport in the world can't have scab refs.

Bayz101
08-19-2012, 10:59 PM
What are the chances we actually go to week 1 with these replacement guys?
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have found a new appreciation for the true NFL refs. These guys are ridiculously bad. They don't even know the rules. The best sport in the world can't have scab refs.

Unfortunately, the chances are VERY high. Unless the refs come to agreement on pay with the league, they'll sit out the year.

tanda10506
08-20-2012, 03:50 AM
I guess it doesn't matter though. We'll either have replacement refs making bad calls on accident against us cause they don't know what they are doing or we can have the regular refs making bad calls on us on purpose.

Galax Steeler
08-20-2012, 05:10 AM
The refs sucked last night in the game.

MasterOfPuppets
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Penalties should definitely be able to be reviewed, often times the penalties are just as big as the plays that normally get reviewed. And yes the refs have always been terrible, and I think they have been bias against us for a while, but it's way worse with these replacement refs. If you get a chance to watch a lot of preseason games (not that you want to lol), you will see how bad it is. It's ridiculous. Way worse.
i'm not talkin coaches challenges, i'm saying the reviews should be automatic. put a full time ref in a booth with a dvr and a large screen. if he doesn't request a delay then that means the call on the field was absolutely the right call. like i said , fans and commentators can point out a questionable call / penalty in the amount of time between plays , why not have an official do the same instead of having them "live" with a bad call ? as an added bonus it would highlight which refs are doing a good job and which aren't.
heck they could even go so far as to allow the review ref to call missed penalties.

GoFor7
08-20-2012, 11:11 AM
The refs sucked last night in the game.

Someone needs to tell them it's not a chop block unless the pass rusher is already engaged with someone else.

Also, what the hell were the guys upstairs doing after Luck rushed for a TD? He was clearly down before crossing the goal line. The scary part is those guys are the some ones from last year. :doh:

stb_steeler
08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Have ya noticed how long it takes them to make a call after the play?
Guess we'll have to get used to it...:noidea:

GoFor7
08-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Have ya noticed how long it takes them to make a call after the play?
Guess we'll have to get used to it...:noidea:

As long as they make the right call I can live with it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
The refs were offered a 5-11% increase and want more than that. I dont care if the replacements are terrible, but no way should an 11% increase be paid to the regular officials.

The NFL already pays them off to not call holding vs. James Harrison.

steelax04
08-21-2012, 07:47 AM
I've always felt that the NFL refs need to be full-time and focus on their craft year round (and be paid as such). For a $9 billion business, is that really too much to ask?

tanda10506
08-21-2012, 04:54 PM
The refs were offered a 5-11% increase and want more than that. I dont care if the replacements are terrible, but no way should an 11% increase be paid to the regular officials.

Completely agree, they really deserve a pay cut, no joke. They have been screwing up a lot lately and have done nothing to deserve an increase whatsoever. That's just on the principle of the matter. It would be a terrible business move to give them that much more money to do the exact same thing.

The NFL already pays them off to not call holding vs. James Harrison.

Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but it wouldn't surprise me the least bit if that was true. I've seen A LOT of bad calls and "no calls" against us, I've seen it with other teams too, but I've never seen any player on any team get held like Harrison does. Some try to justify it by saying it's his pursuit, the way he rushes, but that's BS. It doesn't matter how the guy is coming at you, grabbing and hooking his neck is holding and is not legal. If his technique causes them to hold him then they need to adjust to block his technique, the rules don't change because you take a different angle to the QB. It really is nearly every play and I can't believe that there has been nothing said by the coaching staff.