PDA

View Full Version : Stand out players vs Colts (and goats)

tony hipchest
08-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Im mainly thinking of guys who will probably be 40-60 on the roster (practice squad). All in all, i pretty much liked what I saw from those who have a position locked down. Teams will not wanna be hit by our defense for 4 quarters. ATTRITION.

Baron Batch. Rarely seems to have a large hole to run through but always seems to get positive yardage and never goes down on the first hit. His downfield block on Browns long td rec will have the entire room oooohing and ahhhing when watching the film.

Spence. he is making typical rookie mistakes but seems to know the defense well. he certainly doesnt look like a rookie. he got caught isolated on reggie wayne (when he thought he had help over the top) and still almost made the play.

Morty Ivy. Looked huge, quick, and instinctive on his blocked punt.

Will Johnson. Noticed him make kick ass block, great hustle on punt coverage being the first down field, and a nice run.

David Gilreath. Have no clue about this guy but he is doing what many expected from Toney Clemons.

Chris Rainey. Got knocked the f--- out yet still came back strong. Looks like his pride was hurt coughing up that ball so easilly more than anything else.

If i could be a fringe or back up player at any position for any team in the NFL I would either want to be back up QB in green bay or a DL in pittsburgh. Youre gonna have great coaching and a good shot of making a 10 year career out of it.

Is anyone missing Suisham or Kapinos yet?

GOATS- Curtis Brown. makes william gay look like a great open field tackler. Our cb's need to know how to tackle.

Mike Adams. looks very slow.

Kelvin Beachum. I think he is a bit unfairly critisized but he is being given every chance to either sink or swim. i cant think of another 300 lb tackle (or guard even) in the nfl. he needs some time in the weightroom.

Fire Arians
08-20-2012, 01:24 AM
I thought ramon foster did rather well at RT. I was wondering WTF the coaching staff was thinking by making him start at RT, they once again proved they know their team better than I do lol. Baron Batch is a tough runner and I'd like to see him catch the ball in space. I'm not really sold on dwyer and want to see what batch can do with the starting team. Decastro looks good at guard, so does colon.

Adams isn't ready for primetime, he'll be ready next year i'm sure. talent is there, just a tough position for a rookie to come in and start. Curtis brown is probably the most disappointing player this offseason, I had high hopes for him. Timmons also doesn't look too impressive.

Is it me or does Ike have a tendency to make mental mistakes in coverage and get beaten big time occasionally? On the cortez allen INT play, if the WR doesn't bobble that ball, that is a TD all the way, and that was ike's man, left WIDE open.

Steelers run D doesn't look very good, even the 1st team. Pass rush also doesn't look very strong, but this could be partially because lebeau is calling a vanilla defense and not looking to show his hand before the reg. season starts (what I'm hoping is the case)

Drew Butler seemed to do pretty well from what I could tell. Wonder if the offense was going 3 and out by design to give our punter more looks lol

Neil-Still-Rules-14
08-20-2012, 01:28 AM
Jonathan Dwyer! He looks like he's ready to start Week One.

Steelersfan87
08-20-2012, 01:34 AM
I didn't really notice Curtis Brown much at all. I'll have to see how he played when I get a chance to watch it again.

David Gilreath was obviously the big standout in the game. I think it's safe to say that he's the 5th receiver right now.

Jerrod Johnson played well. Leading a game winning drive, leaving 20 seconds and not timeouts, will get your brownie points.

Jason Ford played well, even showing elusiveness for his size, despite the numbers game at RB.

Antonio Brown obviously had a good game, although I believe he dropped a 3rd down pass that was low.

Jonathan Dwyer always seems to get a hole to run through. Even without that though, he had a good game.

Adrian Robinson continues to suggest that he needs to play against better competition. He's learning his position.

I think Ziggy Hood played pretty well from what I could tell.

Ike Taylor's pick six can't be denied.

Robert Golden seemed to do pretty well on both defense and special teams.

Danny Hrapmann. 4 for 4. Game winner.

tony hipchest
08-20-2012, 01:38 AM
with ike and dwyer, i feel real confident if mendenhall isnt ready to come back. Keep em healthy, and I love the entire group as much as our DL. (ziggy hood stood out to me as well as heyward. Both look big and fast. alameda actually looked smaller and quicker.

taylor and polamalu (and even all our defense) are prone to "guess wrong" every once and a while. theyre on point more often than not, so im not too worried about singular mistakes here or there.

Hawaii 5-0
08-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Initial thoughts from the Colts game

posted by Dale Lolley
MONDAY, AUGUST 20, 2012

The first-team offense and defense both looked pretty good against the Colts in their first extensive action.

Ben Roethlisberger threw a bad pick and Chris Rainey fumbled - he might be too small for the beating he'll take in the NFL - but, overall, it wasn't a bad showing.

The Steelers came into this game trying to work on their running game a little bit - they wanted to give Willie Colon an opportunity to pull - and were effective doing that.

The defense gave up a drive, but it also put seven points on the board. And remember, they weren't throwing a lot of different stuff at the Colts defensively, so even that one drive might have been avoided in the regular season with an exotic blitz or two.

@ It was a preseason game, so the main thing was to get out of it unscathed, which the Steelers did.

@ Rookie punter Drew Butler didn't have the kind of game he did against Philadelphia, but he was solid, averaging 44.8 yards per attempt.

@ How bout the hands on Ike Taylor?

I've covered Ike since his start here and don't remember him coming out of a break too many times and actually catching the ball.

@ Guys who helped themselves:

David Gilreath led the team with four receptions for 78 yards working against a team that had him on its practice squad in 2011. (Point of interest, Gilreath is sharing a locker with some guy who wears No. 17. Didn't see that player here though).

Jerrod Johnson looked much more comfortable at QB, completing 4 of 5 passes for 65 yards and scrambling three times for 11 more yards. Was poised during the game-winning field goal drive.

Justin Peelle caught one pass for 21 yards and isn't Leonard Pope.

Jonathan Dwyer rushed eight times for 43 yards, including a 23 yarder. Didn't get hurt.

Guys who didn't help themselves:

Kelvin Beachum had two more penalties. I know he's wearing 68, but that doesn't mean he has to play like Chris Kemoeatu as well.

Chris Rainey lost a fumble. That was the knock against him at Florida - too small to play in the NFL - and losing fumbles isn't going to help. He's not in danger of being cut, but he's not helping his cause to be a bigger part of the offense.

Marquis Maze averaged just 1.5 yards on a pair of punt returns. He really needed to do something special and failed to do so.

Leonard Pope completely whiffed on his block on Antonio Brown's touchdown catch and run. Don't know what he brings to the table other than being familiar with Todd Haley's offense.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Steelersfan87
08-20-2012, 02:16 AM
I get the Pope whiff on the touchdown, but I don't get Lolly's seeming disdain for Pope, because this isn't the first comment I've seen from him. I didn't key on Pope very often in this game, but in the replays of the first game, I thought Pope blocked very well in comparison to the criticism of his blocking abilities that I've been hearing since the Steelers signed him. I'm looking forward to watching this game again with him in mind.

Bayz101
08-20-2012, 02:31 AM
The writer seems to hate Rainey as well. One fumble isn't a big deal.

Galax Steeler
08-20-2012, 05:03 AM
The writer seems to hate Rainey as well. One fumble isn't a big deal.

This

Rick5895
08-20-2012, 07:40 AM
I thought Curtis Brown looks a little lost out there. The tackling thus far is a little suspect, I'm not used to seeing Ike whiff so many times.
This is pre-season and I'm sure once we start cutting guys the play will improve as thre starters and 2's will get more reps in practice.

Kingmagyar
08-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Kelvin Beachum is exactly what my gut instinct told me he is when the Steelers drafted him over at least 8 other O-linemen rated higher.

He is not strong at all and played at a small school. 19 bench reps for his pre-draft showing is terrible for someone they want to play guard at this level. As far as tackle he is being destroyed out there. At this point in time he is nothing but an absolute travesty. A year getting a lot stronger could help, but I don't think at this point you even practice squad the guy.

Chris Rainey has a legitimate shot of actually being killed on the football field. And I say that with worry and not some kind of joke. His size has it's advantages and obviously it's disadvantages.

teegre
08-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Thoughts from the INDY game.  

-Antonio Brown is so good.  On his TD, it looked like everyone else was standing still.  

-Antonio Brown dropped two passes that he should have caught.  

-On BB's INT: my guess is that the FB didn't run his route deep enough.  

-DD looked good.  

-Mike Adams is a year away from starting.  

[So much for those 1:1 drills where Adams shined, and DD struggled.  Weird... in actual game-play, DD looks good.  Weird, weird, weird.]  

-Chris Rainey has taken over (from Aaron Smith) as having the helmet that fits the strangest.  

-David Gilreath just launched himself into the #5 WR spot.  It is his to keep (or lose).  

-Ike's pick six was surprising, because I guess that he forgot that his hands are made of stone.  

-On the second INT, Ike was beaten for a TD... but, the WR juggled the ball backwards into Cortez Allen's hands.  The important thing: looked a LOT like Ike's play in the Denver play-off loss.  More pick sixes; less being out of position.   

-Chris Carter looked good.  

-Steve McClendon looked even better.  

-I was high in Kelvin Beachum.  Kugler liked his smarts & potential.  I guess that we were both wrong.  

-Charlie Batch.  :)  

-Dwyer looks better & better.  North-south through the hole.  I like it.  

-Manny Sanders alligator-armed a pass... as Chris Collisworth said: business decision.  Had Sanders stretched out for it, he'd be on IR right now.  

-The replacement refs aren't blowing plays dead quick enough.  On one play, the INDY RB was stood up & his forward progress was stopped for two full seconds... and no whistle... ergo, Ryan Clark tattooed the kid.  It was "funny" from the Steeler perspective... but, honestly, that's how RBs get careers ended.  Clark played the play to the whistle; he did NOTHING wrong.  The refs simply reacted far too slowly.  

steelfury02
08-20-2012, 10:11 AM
def slow to react in general but I guess that is to be expected

What I won't like is when we're on the other side of it in Denver - seems like some refs non-calling, then reacting after the crowd. This was really prevalent in the Ravens/Lions preseasoner

Fire Haley
08-20-2012, 11:00 AM
only 2 highlight reel plays worth mentioning - Antonio Brown and Ike

meanwhile, there were no Steelers carted off the field - so it was a good scrimmage.

steelfury02
08-20-2012, 11:06 AM
^This is what matters at this point, plus getting Mike back and game planning for Denver.

EbonySteel86
08-20-2012, 11:20 AM
I thought all td's were supposed to be reviewed. Why didn't they review Lucks td slide? He started sliding from the 2 and they called it a td. Refs missed that one. Also Rainys so called chop block. Refs need to get it together.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
I didnt notice our D line of McLendon, Hood and Keisel getting much push and again, didnt see much pass rush. Hopefully, just some vets going 80% until opening day.

Keenan Lewis looked OK, close on a few plays. The one pass he reached with the wrong hand as he went for the INT instead of the pass breakup

O line looked better, but they are not getting the blitz picked up from the most urgent point and need some improvement in that. DeCastro is coming along well, Colon looked much better at LG than Foster last week and Gilbert too played better.

Mike Adams showed his lack of a good hand strike (punch) in pass protection and seemed to get too high still. He is looking far from starting on Sundays and hopefully develops, but I think he needs a year in Garret Giemont's weight room and Kugs film room.

Spence quick to the ball.....check. Myron Rolle to apply to med school this year....check.

tanda10506
08-20-2012, 12:06 PM
I didnt notice our D line of McLendon, Hood and Keisel getting much push and again, didnt see much pass rush. Hopefully, just some vets going 80% until opening day.

I noticed this too and I hope that's all it is, because it looked a lot like last season where the pass rush "almost" got there multiple times but never actually did, resulting in a lot of open WR's over the season.

Hawaii 5-0
08-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Spence quick to the ball.....check. Myron Rolle to apply to med school this year....check.

:chuckle:

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-20-2012, 03:24 PM
WINNERS:

* Antonio Brown - What else needs to be said? I was honestly worried that with a new contract and payday, that his game would decline this year. But so far, Brown looks fantastic.

* David DeCastro - I need to re-watch the game, but I noticed his blocking on more than a few plays. He made a few really nice ones in open space on LBers as well. Great pick at #24 for sure.

* Rainey - He is almost too small to be playing in the NFL, but he shows a lot of fight and a lot of homerun potential. He will be exciting to watch this year.

* Gilreath - Looked to be the new #5 WR. He had a great game.

* Interior Oline - I saw something last night that I have not seen in a while-- a Steelers' Oline imposing its will on the defense. Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro is going to be a Raven-buster.

* Ike Taylor - Someone pinch me, but did I see him actually pick off a pass?

* Dwyer - Has looked greast everytime we have given him the ball. Maybe it is time to give him a hat and some more responsibility? At this point, I am not sure if I would rather Redman or Dwyer to start at RB.

* Mclendon - Made some more noise. He has been taking on double teams and still driving the opposing Oline backwards.

LOSERS:

* Roddy White - Does not even know Todd Haley, but saw fit to make a boneheaded tweet about him. I guess he's still mad his team couldn't beat us in 2010 with Dennis Pick-Six Dixon at QB.

* Marcus Gilbert/Mike Adams - Ayah. Absolutely awful performance from both guys. Gilbert has clearly taken a step back from his rookie season last year. Both guys look slow, and Adams got beat around the edge on ALMOST EVERY PLAY, and he was not even going up against starters. I don't think he is ready this season, maybe next year.

* Run defense - appears to need some more work. But maybe we are just seeing Dick lebea running a vaniall offense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Riddle, I agree with your assessment, except with Gilbert. I thought he played well, but looked bad on the one rush where he got caught peeking inside to see if Colon was going to take the rusher in B-gap and let his guy get a run on him outside. Its what comes from having him at RT all camp and moving him next to somebody he hasnt played with a lot.

I think we are 4/5 of a solid O line. Have to see what happens if and when Starks is ready to come back. Adams looks like a guy that might not be ready until December. He isnt up to Jon Scott level yet.

Curtain_of_Steel
08-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Pretty accurate looks sees from everyone. Not a lot to add. Come on there is always stuff to add, lol

I agree and have to back track on my previous Adams compliments/comments, he may need to ride the pine a bit. Although Ben does like to scramble and I rather him scramble to his right to get a better pass off when the left side breaks down, lol

DeCastro, I thought looked great last night. Especially on the screen play, that boy was down the field.

Now Im sure you seen this, but did you guys see the 2nd coming of Christ at QB for the Colts? Holy crap, could they lick this guys ass anymore?
How about the slide into the end zone? What a Pu$$y.. They were our 2nd stringers too. Harrison would've knocked his ass back into his mothers womb!

More Goats, how about the poor Ref's? The head guy look scared to death everytime the mic came on. He either has a studdering issue, or was worse than a deer in the headlights.

Need Wallace back, Sanders in not going to beable to hold Mike Towels when he is showering.

Fire Arians
08-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Pretty accurate looks sees from everyone. Not a lot to add. Come on there is always stuff to add, lol

I agree and have to back track on my previous Adams compliments/comments, he may need to ride the pine a bit. Although Ben does like to scramble and I rather him scramble to his right to get a better pass off when the left side breaks down, lol

DeCastro, I thought looked great last night. Especially on the screen play, that boy was down the field.

Now Im sure you seen this, but did you guys see the 2nd coming of Christ at QB for the Colts? Holy crap, could they lick this guys ass anymore?
How about the slide into the end zone? What a Pu$$y.. They were our 2nd stringers too. Harrison would've knocked his ass back into his mothers womb!

More Goats, how about the poor Ref's? The head guy look scared to death everytime the mic came on. He either has a studdering issue, or was worse than a deer in the headlights.

Need Wallace back, Sanders in not going to beable to hold Mike Towels when he is showering.

ditto on the refs. i thought until yesterday it was impossible to score on a slide since basically the ball is supposed to be down at the moment of the slide.

in any case I didn't care since it's just preseason

Hawaii 5-0
08-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Adams looks like a guy that might not be ready until December.

yeah, December 2013...

Fire Arians
08-20-2012, 05:16 PM
yeah, December 2013...

to be fair he's playing the most difficult position on the line. having a rookie come in and play LT is kinda a long shot. I was hoping he'd pull it off, though.

Steelersfan87
08-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Adams still has 2 more games to get it right. Who knows, maybe he was playing a little hesitant because of his knee.

TheVet
08-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I really had my hopes up for Adams, so I'm just a bit discouraged. But oh well, these things take time.

It occurred to me that some of his hesitation could be due to him thinking more, rather than reacting. He was also being beaten in different ways than in game 1; he may have been focused on not being beaten outside, and was tricked a few times into giving up an even worse inside line.

Gilbert wasn't as awful as in game 1, but OT overall is looking very shakey right now.

ETL
08-20-2012, 07:26 PM
My 2 cents:

Spence - in my view looked great out there. He was already telling players where to go and has a nose for the football. I like him better than Sylvester right now.

Charlie Batch - looked old and slow

Beachum - got the butt of a large fat woman; often plays like one

Ben - looks a lot slimmer than last year

Gilbreath - agree with everyone's assessment. He's # 5 right now

Mike Adams - I hope he can learn quick. I remember how lost polamalu was in the first year.

Baron Batch - was hoping to see a little more zing from him but so far I'm happy he's not hurt

Hawaii 5-0
08-20-2012, 08:32 PM
My 2 cents:

Beachum - got the butt of a large fat woman; often plays like one

:chuckle:

SteelCity4Life
08-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I thought all td's were supposed to be reviewed. Why didn't they review Lucks td slide? He started sliding from the 2 and they called it a td. Refs missed that one. Also Rainys so called chop block. Refs need to get it together.

This!!! ^ :banging:

They take like 2 minutes to review the called back TD, only to not give the slide touchdown a look. Even Collinsworth was mentioning his knee being down before he even crossed the goal line. CRAP call!

Replacement refs, this is what I think of you... :doh:

jiminpa
08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
This!!! ^ :banging:

They take like 2 minutes to review the called back TD, only to not give the slide touchdown a look. Even Collinsworth was mentioning his knee being down before he even crossed the goal line. CRAP call!

Replacement refs, this is what I think of you... :doh:Last time the refs went on strike the replacements were better, significantly. The games actually got called straight, and I was sad to see the full-time shlubs back on the field.

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-20-2012, 09:23 PM

Yeah, DeCastro is coming along NICELY.

For effing reals. The first game, all they talked about was Andy Reid's son and the Eagles. I thought it was just because we played them in Philly. But all I hear Colinsworthless talk about for two straight hours was Andrew Luck! Puh-lease, he didn't get rattled? he got his scoring drives after we started substituting with scrubs.

Abo****ely a blown call. His knee was down a good yard back from the plane of the endzone. Not even close.

He looked so scared he made me feel uncomfortable whenever he had to make a call from midfield. I wonder if he knew that his mic wasn't working too?

tony hipchest
08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
anyone who doesnt recognize lucks unique skill sets probably thought ryan leaf was gonna be the bomb.

i personally dont wanna see the steelers ballwashed in every single broadcast. others get mad when they arent. :hunch:

pancake
08-20-2012, 09:52 PM
anyone who doesnt recognize lucks unique skill sets probably thought ryan leaf was gonna be the bomb.

i personally dont wanna see the steelers ballwashed in every single broadcast. others get mad when they arent. :hunch:

I thought coming out of college, that Leaf was going to be better than Manning...

:banging::noidea:

Steelersfan87
08-20-2012, 10:13 PM
In fairness, Andrew Luck was easily the top storyline from a national standpoint in the game. Of course he was going to be the main topic of conversation. And aside from that one "teachable moment" provided by Professor Swurve, he was rather impressive, and even poised, against an elite, albeit admittedly preseason-vanilla, defense. As far as his run-in touchdown, just because they didn't go into a booth doesn't mean the play wasn't reviewed. Every scoring play and every turnover is reviewed automatically. Most of them don't require 5 minutes to determine.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I cant understand why fans are so concerned about a debatable preseason TD call that was reviewed. I mean, nobody was stupid enough to wager on it right?? It doesnt count in the standings and 30% of the guys will be applying to drive a Fedex truck in 3 weeks. :doh:

Hawaii 5-0
08-21-2012, 01:05 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers beat Indy: What Matters

Posted on August 20, 2012 by Syndicated Feeds

http://www.mtrmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ike_taylor01.jpg

Unlike the norm, Ike Taylor held onto an INT last night for a Pick-6 that propelled the Steelers to a win.

The Steelers team that took the field last night in Pittsburgh against the Indianapolis Colts figures to look very little like the finished product it is hoped this team will become. Missing from the field were James Harrison, Rashard Mendenhall, Casey Hampton, Mike Wallace, Max Starks, Jason Worilds, and Isaac Redman, and those starters that did dress played very little after the first quarter. Under those circumstances, it is always difficult to read too much into what transpires, but here are several items that I took away from the Steelers 26-24 win over the Colts:

1. David Gilreath is separating himself from the pack to be the #5 WR. Once Mike Wallace gets into the lineup, the Steelers’ top four WR will not only be set, they’ll be the best group in football. The battle that has been waging in camp is to determine who replaces Hines Ward as the #5 WR, and the battle figured to be between 7th round pick Toney Clemons and Derrick Williams, a local guy with a few years of NFL experience. Instead, David Gilreath, who spent 2011 bouncing around on the practice squads of the Colts, Rams, and Bills, has emerged as the leading candidate to open the year on the 53-man roster. Gilreath caught 4 passes for 78 yards last night, picking up first downs on all 4 receptions, and Gilreath was also an accomplished kickoff returner at Wisconsin, something that may prove valuable given that Antonio Brown will likely be relieved of those duties in 2012.

2. The Steelers’ RB depth appears to be very solid. Rashard Mendenhall was taken off the PUP list last week, meaning that the team believes that he will be able to play sometime before Week 8 (he would have had to sit out the first 6 games had he remained on the list), and it appears that the team is targeting a return during Week 5 (the Steelers have a bye in Week 4). Isaac Redman missed last night’s game with a groin injury, but Jonathan Dwyer and Chris Rainey were both effective carrying the ball in the absence of Mendenhall and Redman. Dwyer looks much slimmer and quicker than he has in past seasons, and Rainey is electrifying in space. Baron Batch, the 2011 training camp phenom who missed the season with a torn ACL, failed to get untracked in the running game but still appears to be a lock to make the 53-man roster and battle with Rainey to be the 3rd down back, due largely to Batch’s ability to catch and pick up the blitz.

3. Get well, Max Starks. Rookie 2nd round pick Mike Adams struggled again last night, and this time it was largely against backups for the Colts. Adams allowed two sacks and began receiving TE help after the second one; otherwise the figure may have been higher. It’s obviously too soon to give up on Adams, but he is clearly in no way ready to be a starting LT in the NFL. Max Starks is off the PUP list and is reportedly on track to be ready to start the opener in Denver. Starks is a pedestrian – at best – LT in the NFL, but throwing Adams into the mix against Elvis Dumerville and the Denver crowd would not end well. Or start well. The remainder of the offensive line looks to be in the best shape it has for years, with a Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro interior that will match up with anyone’s by mid-season, but the Steelers need Max Starks to man LT effectively while Mike Adams gets his feet under him at this level.

4. Can Danny Hrapmann unseat Shaun Suisham? Danny Hrapmann, a rookie UDFA out of Southern Miss, continued his impressive performance in preseason by kicking 4 second half FG last night, including making the gamewinner despite it being largely blocked. Hrapmann is 5-for-5 on FG this preason and displays ample leg on kickoffs (something that is much less of a factor with kickoffs coming from the 35-yard-line). Suisham missed 8 FG’s during an erratic 2011 season, and it’s not like he was Adam Vinatieri to start with. The kicking job is probably still Suisham’s, but Hrapmann is making a case to replace him if Suisham falters during the final two weeks of the preseason.

5. The LB corps is dinged up. Jason Worilds has yet to play a snap this preseason, and last week the Steelers lost both James Harrison and Stevenson Sylvester for at least the rest of the preseason, if not longer, with knee injuries. 2nd year man Chris Carter has replaced Harrison at ROLB and was better against Philadelphia than he was last night. The injuries open the door for other guys to make the team and/or increase their roles, and rookie UDFA Adrian Robinson has stood out far more than offseason acquisition Brandon Johnson or holdover Mortty Ivy thus far. The injury to Stevenson should create more playing time for rookie 3rd round pick Sean Spence, but in two games Spence has been largely unnoticeable on the field.

6. Can Will Johnson be the FB? With David Johnson done for the season with a torn ACL and MCL, Will Johnson is the only FB on the roster. Johnson, who went undrafted out of West Virginia after 2011 and was out of football last season, has played well in his role as a lead blocker thus far and appears to be holding up well.

Up next are the Bills, and the opener in Denver is now 20 days away.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/the_pittsburgh_steelers_beat_indy_what_matters/11506714

tony hipchest
08-21-2012, 01:26 AM
The injury to Stevenson should create more playing time for rookie 3rd round pick Sean Spence, but in two games Spence has been largely unnoticeable on the field.

other than maybe larry foote, i have noticed spence more than any other ilb on the field in any of the 2 preseason games. im still getting used to the rookies and new players and their numbers, but everytime i see #51 flash by i initially think "damn, who is that?"

he doesnt look as small as advertized, and seems to have real good command of the defense going into his 3rd professional game. i predict he is our starter by his 3rd year.

ricardisimo
08-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Yeah, not quite sure what this guy expects of Spence, but he's looked good to me so far.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2012, 09:50 AM
The injury to Stevenson should create more playing time for rookie 3rd round pick Sean Spence, but in two games Spence has been largely unnoticeable on the field.

other than maybe larry foote, i have noticed spence more than any other ilb on the field in any of the 2 preseason games. im still getting used to the rookies and new players and their numbers, but everytime i see #51 flash by i initially think "damn, who is that?"

he doesnt look as small as advertized, and seems to have real good command of the defense going into his 3rd professional game. i predict he is our starter by his 3rd year.

Yeah, I noticed the pass that Luck threw over Spence's head and the goal line series where he delivered a shot to the RB, although it was after around a 4 yard gain.

He looks smaller than Foote to me, but maybe he gets in the weight room and is better equipped to handle the 16 game season by next season. Timmons and Spence could be happening sooner than we think.

teegre
08-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Timmons and Spence could be happening sooner than we think.

Especially since Foote's cap hit is rather large (for an average player) next season.  I honestly see Spence starting opening day 2013.  

Hawaii 5-0
08-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Steelers RB Dwyer providing stability in backfield

UPDATED AUG 21, 2012

PITTSBURGH (AP)
Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jonathan Dwyer has given the team's injury riddled backfield some needed stability during preseason.

The former Georgia Tech star ran for 43 yards on eight carries against the Indianapolis Colts' first-string defense in a 26-24 victory on Sunday night, cutting decisively between the tackles while looking comfortable in a featured role.

Dwyer leads the Steelers in rushing during the preseason while filling in for injured starters Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman. Mendenhall is out indefinitely as he recovers from offseason knee surgery while Redman has been slowed by a hip problem.

That's left Dwyer to take most of the snaps with the first team as the Steelers try to adjust to new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's system, which is more run-heavy than one used by former Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_rb_dwyer_providing_stability_in_backfield/11513125

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Dwyer could be a young beast.

run his wheels off!

Steelersfan87
08-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Especially since Foote's cap hit is rather large (for an average player) next season.  I honestly see Spence starting opening day 2013.  

Foote is a free agent next year, so he has no cap hit.

teegre
08-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Foote is a free agent next year, so he has no cap hit.

Even better.

TheDude
08-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Foote has looked good IMO...he'll be steady as a 2-down-LB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Dwyer could be a young beast.

run his wheels off!

The term "Beast" has got to be the most overused, overhyped word in football. It makes me think of guys like Frank Sanders, Morty Ivy, John Clay, Mike Adams, etc. ......that guys hype up, only to realize that they are just at best and decent NFL player or a future UPS truck driver.

My resolution for this season is to overuse the term "beast" until it is utterly annoying to hear.

That Gilreath is a BEAST!!! will be my first statement. :tt03:

teegre
08-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Foote has looked good IMO...he'll be steady as a 2-down-LB.

That was the tail-end to a discussion about Spence starting next season (as opposed to anything bad about Foote).

Curtain_of_Steel
08-22-2012, 11:48 AM
El Gonzo, I would say the term "special" is dam close. "Great" not far off, lol

Words of which should be reserved for acutally greatness, once its accomplished.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2012, 11:56 AM
El Gonzo, I would say the term "special" is dam close. "Great" not far off, lol

Words of which should be reserved for acutally greatness, once its accomplished.

Curtain......you make a good point. You are a Beast, of a poster!!!

CargoJon
08-22-2012, 12:02 PM
[B]4. Can Danny Hrapmann unseat Shaun Suisham? Danny Hrapmann, a rookie UDFA out of Southern Miss, continued his impressive performance in preseason by kicking 4 second half FG last night, including making the gamewinner despite it being largely blocked. Hrapmann is 5-for-5 on FG this preason and displays ample leg on kickoffs (something that is much less of a factor with kickoffs coming from the 35-yard-line). Suisham missed 8 FG’s during an erratic 2011 season, and it’s not like he was Adam Vinatieri to start with. The kicking job is probably still Suisham’s, but Hrapmann is making a case to replace him if Suisham falters during the final two weeks of the preseason.

After what I saw Sunday night, I'm ready to cut Suisham and turn the keys over to Hrapmann. He's the next Garrett Hartley IMO.

steelfury02
08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
and if I might add, El-Gonzo might think it Beastly of them to do so

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2012, 01:18 PM
and if I might add, El-Gonzo might think it Beastly of them to do so

IDK, not sure if Hrapman can hit it consistently. Garret Hartley is a Beast though. :wave:

Steelersfan87
08-22-2012, 06:06 PM
4 field goals in a game, only 1 over 40 yards, and you're ready to ride with the guy? Suisham kicked 4 40+ field goals in like his second game with us.

Hawaii 5-0
08-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Hood won't admit he had good game against Colts

By Jim Wexell For HeraldStandard.com
Posted on August 23, 2012

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/heraldstandard.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/1b/d1b56881-914d-5065-b763-d1e5c1548fed/5035b28d39e56.preview-300.jpg

Hood pressures Luck

PITTSBURGH — Ziggy Hood will tell you all about his hometown and his family and his friends and how he went from 24 percent to 18 percent body fat this offseason and still managed to gain two pounds.

He’ll tell you all of that and more, but he will not tell you he played a good game Sunday night against the Indianapolis Colts.

But he did.

The Steelers’ third-year pro, the former first-round pick, the defensive end who’s replaced Aaron Smith, played an exceptional game.

But he won’t admit it.

“I did OK,” said Hood.

OK? Hood looked like a different person out there and not the guy who aroused suspicions last season that he was turning into a bust.

Just OK? Hood was a beast out there.

“There were a couple things I did wrong,” Hood said.

Like what?

“Well, I missed a key tackle that sprung a 21-yard run,” he said.

The run through the open hole that a linebacker should have filled?

“No, it was my fault,” Hood said. “I take full responsibility for that. I had him lined up, but he just outran me.”

That’s Hood. Nothing’s ever good enough for him. Not that last year should’ve been considered good enough for him. After all, it was fairly uninspiring. He led the Steelers’ defensive linemen in snaps (879) and nothing else, other than assisted tackles (9). His 36 total tackles were a jump over his 20 from the previous season, but last year he had only 1½ sacks, two passes defensed, and no forced fumbles or fumble recoveries.

So Hood took a good look at his tape, a good look in the mirror, and went to work.

His weight room tales are now legendary among teammates. So, too, could be his play on the field, if Sunday night was any indication.

“Ziggy’s had a great camp,” said the Steelers’ other defensive end Brett Keisel. “I think he’s taken it to that next level, which we need him to. Just like you said, he had a really good game. He was getting great pressure on the quarterback when he wasn’t hitting him. We expect Ziggy to make a lot of plays this year for us. He’s the guy.”

Hood made three tackles in less than a half of action Sunday night, but more impressive than the stats was his ferocity. The Colts often double-teamed him because his strength, stamina and quickness were obvious. That was rarely the case a year ago.

“I think it just comes with being in the system another year, having another year’s experience,” Keisel said. “When you’re a young player, even in your third year or so, you’re still not totally there. At least that’s how it was for me. For me it wasn’t until my fifth or sixth year when I really felt like I was fluid and doing all the things I was supposed to be doing, where it felt like my game was getting better and better. So that’s where he is. Each year he needs to get better, just like any of us.”

This is Hood’s fourth year, so Keisel’s timeline for him is just about right. But there has to be more to it than growth within the system. Perhaps it’s Hood’s new body?

“It’s a combination of both,” Hood said. “You know what you have to work on, plus you can focus on what you need to do to develop technique-wise. The first year you knew you had to be strong, be stout at the point of attack. You had to put more time in the weight room and you had to work your steps and stuff like that. This year I was able to focus on my diet, and I also had to develop more foot speed and more hand speed, simple things like that that help me become a better player.”

“I feel more comfortable,” he said, “but I’ve got a long ways to go before I can ever reach my full potential.”

In that regard, Hood sounded much like Aaron Smith. Even into Smith’s final years he refused to become satisfied.

“No,” Hood said. “When you stop improving that means it’s time for you to leave the game.”

The way Hood played Sunday night, that’s a long way from happening.

http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/steelers/hood-won-t-admit-he-had-good-game-against-colts/article_c41cf074-6e8c-592d-bbb7-10a74d976ca0.html

CargoJon
08-23-2012, 03:25 PM
4 field goals in a game, only 1 over 40 yards, and you're ready to ride with the guy? Suisham kicked 4 40+ field goals in like his second game with us.

And the game winner had enough oomph on it to clear the goalpost even when blocked. Guy has a strong leg.

I've seen Suisham miss that same kick from the same distance without it getting touched.

Steelersfan87
08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
When?

Hawaii 5-0
08-23-2012, 04:57 PM
And the game winner had enough oomph on it to clear the goalpost even when blocked. Guy has a strong leg.

I've seen Suisham miss that same kick from the same distance without it getting touched.

Suisham is pretty much $ from 39 yards and in, it's when you get to FGs over 40 yards that his career average drops dramatically.