PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark vows to tone it down

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2012, 07:29 AM
IMO the word has gone out from Tomlin and team leaders such as Troy to focus on football and avoid getting into any more battles with Goodell that cannot be won

Ryan Clark is outspoken, opinionated and, sometimes to a fault, brutally honest.

It’s a combination that tends to rub people the wrong way, and Clark has been fine with that stigma.

But when being forthright starts to affect the way your team is viewed and the perception of the organization, it’s time for a change.

Following a year in which Clark routinely denounced NFL commissioner Roger Goodell (referring to him as Roger in an admitted sign of disrespect) and was seemingly involved in a daily war-of-words with somebody, the veteran Steelers’ safety is going quiet — all for the greater good of the team...

The perception of our team was starting to be tainted,” Clark said. “It went from us being hard-nosed, tough football players to maybe being dirty and not really caring about rules. That wasn’t the case; It was that you were feeling that you were mistreated.”

The realization that the organization was being viewed in a negative light was a big factor for Clark’s sudden change of philosophy.

“I think image is important for a lot of things, especially in the entertainment industry,” said Troy Polamalu, who Clark had a conversation with about toning it down this year....

“We were starting to fight other people’s battles,” Clark said. “Any time a hit came up, they asked us and we would go off about the commissioner … and that wasn’t helping us out at all.”

http://triblive.com/sports/2420896-85/clark-steelers-team-organization-safety-commissioner-goodell-outspoken-nfl-perception

After the firefight with the league office that has been going on since the initial Harrison fine after the 2010 Cleveand game, this generation of Steelers appears to recognize their time together is coming to a close and that they need to focus their energy on taking care of business on the field:thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
08-22-2012, 03:41 PM
So much for toning it down - Clark gave an interview on NFL Network this morning

On much he hates the Baltimore Ravens:

“I get that question a lot and I don’t really hate them. I was working out with Terrell Suggs this summer before his injury and he’s a really cool dude. He said it himself that people don’t understand that we only hate you two or three weeks out of the year. I will say this about the Ravens: playing that first game last year and watching them dance on the field, seeing them fake an extra point while up 27 [points] already, it allowed me to understand how much they actually dislike us as an organization. It brewed and stirred up a little hate in me also for me to understand how I have to approach playing them and how I have to look at them. But when I’m not playing the Ravens, I’m not thinking about the Ravens. I’ve said it before, I still feel like this organization we worry about winning championships; we don’t focus on beating one team. It won’t be Gatorade baths because we beat the Ravens,:chuckle: it won’t be parties, it won’t be bottles popping and confetti. It will be one game on our journey to win the Super Bowl and I always look at that.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117732-ed-ryan-clark-on-hating-the-ravens

teegre
08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
That WAS toned down. He wanted to say: "Ray Lewis is a murdering SOB!!!"

I commend him on his restraint.

FrancoLambert
08-22-2012, 05:09 PM
I hope the entire team never forgets the fake extra point play.
That was about as bush as you can get. Up 27, Harbaugh's an ass.

Hawaii 5-0
08-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Ryan Clark doesn’t hate the Ravens

Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 201

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/ryanclarkonrayrice-e1345685462102.jpg?w=250

Ryan Clark apparently is mellowing in his advancing age.

The Steelers safety, who’ll turn 33 in October, recently said that he won’t gripe about the league office as much as he used to. Wednesday morning, Clark told NFL Network that, in reality, he doesn’t hate the Ravens.

“I don’t really hate them,” Clark said, via Kevin Patra of NFL Network. “I was working out with Terrell Suggs this summer, before his injury. He’s a really cool dude and he said it himself, he’s like, ‘People don’t understand that we only hate y’all two weeks or three out of the year.’”

Still, Clark didn’t appreciate the way the Ravens behaved in their 35-7 Week One win over the Steelers last season. “I will say this about the Ravens: That first game last year watching them dance on the field, seeing them fake an extra point while up 27 already, it allowed me to understand how much they actually dislike us as an organization as a coaching staff,” Clark said. “So it brooded and stirred up a little hate in me.”

But Clark realizes that the broader purpose of the game isn’t to beat the Ravens. “This organization, we worry about winning championships, we don’t focus on beating one team,” Clark said. “There won’t be Gatorade baths because we beat the Ravens, won’t be parties, won’t be bottle-popping and confetti, it will be one game on our journey to win the Super Bowl and I always look at it like that.”

This year, the two teams don’t get together until November 18, and they play twice in 15 days. There’s a chance they neither squad will be able to field 11 healthy players the following week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/22/ryan-clark-doesnt-hate-the-ravens/

jiminpa
08-23-2012, 03:51 PM
I think the toning down was about expressing opinions of the mobster/commissioner, who fines the Steelers for taking the field and changes the rules in the middle of the game to favor the cheatriots.

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
I think the toning down was about expressing opinions of the mobster/commissioner, who fines the Steelers for taking the field and changes the rules in the middle of the game to favor the cheatriots.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QkR9-UHsCoA/Ti-jM5xsUlI/AAAAAAAAAUY/fiNVlHAQOAA/s1600/AdolfGoodell-01.png

Die Steelers zu hart! Ich kann nicht zulassen ihnen wehtun Feldmarschall Kraft der wertvollen New England Patriots und seine kleine Kuchen Tom Brady! Ryan Clark wird mein Zorn als Führer fühlen! Ich werde ihn für jeden etwas Negatives sagt er fein und erhöhen James Harrison Federung!

HEIL GOODELL!

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-23-2012, 04:32 PM
I hope the entire team never forgets the fake extra point play.
That was about as bush as you can get. Up 27, Harbaugh's an ass.

I think that was one of the main reasons why the Rooneys decided to finally address the offensive line-- they remember the way Ray Rice dumped 140+ yards on us that day.

I am sure that on Tomlin's "bullet list" for 2012, the Rooney's underlined and highlighted 'beating the Ravens'. With Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro-- it is clear what the Rooneys are planning, and that is to rip open the belly of the vaunted Ravens defense with a healthy dose of Isaac Redman and Chris Rainey.

I agree, it will taste so sweet when we finally get to see it. The Ravens fans have been eerily silent this preseason-- deep down in their purple souls, they know it is coming.

:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03: