PDA

View Full Version : M. Bires reports Mike Wallace is back in Pittsburgh

tony hipchest
08-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Mike Bires ‏@mikebires
Last week we speculated that Mike Wallace might end his holdout this week, maybe as early as today . I've been told he's already in town

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 10:36 AM
I won't believe it till Florio says so

steelfury02
08-21-2012, 11:02 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, very interesting

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 11:04 AM
call me when he's signed

remember this hoax?
24 July Wexell @ jimwexell. Channel 11 reporting Mike Wallace and Steelers have agreed to 5 yr $42 million contract with $20m guaranteed

GoFor7
08-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Do the Steelers have a practice today? If so Wallace would probably be there even if he's not participating.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2012, 11:24 AM
call me when he's signed

remember this hoax?
24 July Wexell @ jimwexell. Channel 11 reporting Mike Wallace and Steelers have agreed to 5 yr $42 million contract with $20m guaranteed

:toofunny: yeah, I bet Wexell loves that tweet.

Vis
08-21-2012, 11:30 AM
He just has Pirate fever

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2012, 12:10 PM
P-G says he will report after the Buffalo game

The Steelers expect that Mike Wallace will arrive back in Pittsburgh this weekend and sign his one-year contract after they return from their third preseason game in Buffalo, multiple sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Steelers play Saturday night in Buffalo. Presumably Wallace would be eligible to play in their final preseason game against Carolina Aug. 30 at Heinz Field, but whether he will or not remains unknown. The Steelers have off on Sunday after their game against Buffalo and will have only two real days of practice before they finish up the preseason against the Panthers.

However, reporting this weekend would give the Pro Bowl wide receiver two weeks to practice and prepare for the regular-season opener in Denver Sept. 9. It also could reopen negotiations on a multiple-year deal between Wallace and the Steelers, talks that ended when he did not report for the start of training camp July 25

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/source-wallace-to-return-to-steelers-this-weekend-649875/

Earlier today Bouchette doubted Wallace will sign a new contarct beyond the one year tender

he also had to determine that when he does report, he will be playing for a salary of $2.7 million this season, that there will not be a multiple-year contract for him. Negotiations on a longer deal with Wallace ended the day he did not report to camp, July 25. The Steelers insist they will not resume until he signs his one-year tender and reports. They also have a long-standing policy that they will not negotiate a new contract once the regular season begins.

So, if Wallace reported today, they would have 19 days to try to come to terms on a long-term deal. They weren’t able to do that for the four months they tried leading up to training camp, why would anyone think they would come to terms in 19 days? That is particularly true since they turned around early in camp and signed Antnonio Brown to a long-term deal.

I have been told that Mike Tomlin was solidly in Wallace’s corner leading up to July 25. Once the holdout dragged on, however, he lost the coach, at least for him pushing the Steelers to try to get something done. Tomlin will accept Wallace’s return and treat him as he would other players. But he’s not sitting behind the scenes urging him to get into camp or urging the Steelers to get a long-term deal done with him. He stated his case rather bluntly to Bob Labriola on the team’s website the other day:

“He’s going to dictate how we move forward. His overall readiness, his level of conditioning, his knowledge of what we’re doing, how quickly he can come up to speed when he gets here . . . that’s why I say I’m not going to anticipate anything.’’

My prediction from the spring stands: Wallace will report, play for his $2.7 million and become an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117713-ed-wallace-cant-expect-new-contract

LVSteelersfan
08-21-2012, 12:40 PM
P-G says he will report after the Buffalo game

My prediction from the spring stands: Wallace will report, play for his $2.7 million and become an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

And get the franchise tag and play for the Steelers again in 2013. They will have to pay him a lot to play next year on the franchise tag, but it will be worth it. Who knows if he will get injured and even be able to play up to speed in 2014. Why pay him a long term contract. They can get two years out of him. He sealed his fate when he wouldn't accept that big contract they offered him before training camp.

PhantomJB93
08-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I still hope we can somehow get a long term deal done. Since the holdout started everyone has been going off on how he's "only a deep threat" and we don't need him, but I really think he's key to the offense and is a more complete receiver than he gets credit for, even despite the lackluster finish to last year.

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Just get the fool in camp

Ben says he agrees, he's been itchin' to throw it long every play, no matter what Haley says....I can tell

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
more...

Mike Wallace plans to report to Pittsburgh Steelers this weekend

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has informed teammates that his plan is to show up this weekend and sign his restricted free agent tender. The speedster sat out training camp, with hopes of reaching a long-term extension. Two sources with knowledge of Wallace's plans confirmed the conversations.

Word has spread in the locker room that Wallace will show up. He will miss the third preseason game on Aug. 25 against the Buffalo Bills and might sit out the fourth, as well

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000052640/article/mike-wallace-plans-to-report-to-pittsburgh-steelers-this-weekend?module=HP11_headline_stack

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-21-2012, 01:11 PM
And get the franchise tag and play for the Steelers again in 2013. They will have to pay him a lot to play next year on the franchise tag, but it will be worth it. Who knows if he will get injured and even be able to play up to speed in 2014. Why pay him a long term contract. They can get two years out of him. He sealed his fate when he wouldn't accept that big contract they offered him before training camp.

All depends if they have the cap room to tag him next year, but yeah.....I'd find it funny if they did. Disgruntled WR plays for 2 year $14mil deal instead of 5 year $55mil deal. I hope Bus Cook can show him the way.

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
He just has Pirate fever

why would anyone WANT to go to Latrobe?

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/610x-415.jpg?w=250

Vis
08-21-2012, 01:38 PM
why would anyone WANT to go to Latrobe?

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/610x-415.jpg?w=250

The food kicks ass

steelfury02
08-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Uh huh, you know how it is . . .

LVSteelersfan
08-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Somehow I don't see them getting him signed before the season starts. It just never seems to work that way. And of course the Steelers never sign someone after the season starts. Depends on how well he plays this year if gets franchised or not. If he fights the franchise tag as well, he is wasting a lot of time getting ready to play. Training camp is needed even for prima donnas. If he pulls a hammy first game out, I am going to be p i $ $ e d.

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 02:18 PM
The food kicks ass

Camp Latrobe is closed now and the free food is gone....

so now he comes in....bout time

teegre
08-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Wallace has had a few weeks to think things over. While actual conversations have not been going on, the negotiations have been silently continuing. As in: Wallace has now had a couple of weeks to realize a few things:

1. The Steelers are ready & willing to go on without him. Period.

2. No other team was willing to give up a R1 pick for him... so he might not be as highly covetted as he once thought. [Note: All it takes is one team... but, still... NO team even made him an offer.]

3. While another team could give him a huge amount of money, that team would HAVE to compensate for the money that he'd lose this year (by playing for only $2.7 million). Whereas, he could make the same amount (essentially) by signing now (with the Steelers). [Note: I have listed the specifics about how he would have to make at least $14 million per year, if he were to hold out... just to make the same money that he'd make by signing his current deal.]

SUMMATION: The sides weren't that far off when talks ceased. Wallace has been sitting around mulling things over... an he HAS INDEED been thinking about the "What ifs?" (of holding out, not signing a long-term deal, et cetera). And, the odds favor him signing a deal now. Ergo, he very well could walk into camp and sign a long-term deal within a day. [It only took Brown's agent two hours to read through the legalese; Wallace's agent could do it in twenty-four..]

Side-note: For thos worried, his cap number can be spread over five years, with the major portion of the hit coming in years four & five. AND, he could still be the "highest" paid WR on the team (Brown $8.5 million per year; Wallace $10.5 million).

Again, just because the two sides haven't been talking doesn't mean "all" that much.

pancake
08-21-2012, 02:54 PM
^^^^^^

Good point Tee

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Maybe he is coming back but this question is still not answered:noidea:

VcgvFEdhq-I

tanda10506
08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Wallace has had a few weeks to think things over. While actual conversations have not been going on, the negotiations have been silently continuing. As in: Wallace has now had a couple of weeks to realize a few things:

1. The Steelers are ready & willing to go on without him. Period.

2. No other team was willing to give up a R1 pick for him... so he might not be as highly covetted as he once thought. [Note: All it takes is one team... but, still... NO team even made him an offer.]

3. While another team could give him a huge amount of money, that team would HAVE to compensate for the money that he'd lose this year (by playing for only $2.7 million). Whereas, he could make the same amount (essentially) by signing now (with the Steelers). [Note: I have listed the specifics about how he would have to make at least $14 million per year, if he were to hold out... just to make the same money that he'd make by signing his current deal.]

SUMMATION: The sides weren't that far off when talks ceased. Wallace has been sitting around mulling things over... an he HAS INDEED been thinking about the "What ifs?" (of holding out, not signing a long-term deal, et cetera). And, the odds favor him signing a deal now. Ergo, he very well could walk into camp and sign a long-term deal within a day. [It only took Brown's agent two hours to read through the legalese; Wallace's agent could do it in twenty-four..]

Side-note: For thos worried, his cap number can be spread over five years, with the major portion of the hit coming in years four & five. AND, he could still be the "highest" paid WR on the team (Brown $8.5 million per year; Wallace $10.5 million).

Again, just because the two sides haven't been talking doesn't mean "all" that much.

Agreed, they could definitely get it done, but I don't think it will UNLESS Wallace is going to get more realistic about his value. They're not going to overpay and they couldn't afford to unless they weren't concerned about other positions in the future. Is a $10.5 mil contract, no matter how you stack it, even possible with what we have left under the salary cap? I think Wallace adds a lot to this offense, but it seems like usually (not always) more needs to be seen before that much money is spent, especially on a guy who disappeared (however you look at it, he did drop off). Sounds like the Steelers offered him something close to that before though, and if they are willing to pay him that now then I'm confident he's worth it.

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 04:39 PM
He's going straight to hardass Mike's doghouse, whenever he reports - I hope he knows that

teegre
08-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Agreed, they could definitely get it done, but I don't think it will UNLESS Wallace is going to get more realistic about his value. They're not going to overpay and they couldn't afford to unless they weren't concerned about other positions in the future. Is a $10.5 mil contract, no matter how you stack it, even possible with what we have left under the salary cap? I think Wallace adds a lot to this offense, but it seems like usually (not always) more needs to be seen before that much money is spent, especially on a guy who disappeared (however you look at it, he did drop off). Sounds like the Steelers offered him something close to that before though, and if they are willing to pay him that now then I'm confident he's worth it.

Let me address each point...

1. Will Wallace be realistic? I think that this time off, and the immediate "If you don't show up to camp, you don't get a contract" stance by the Steelers, probably jarred Wallace back towards reality.

2. Can the Steelers afford him? Yes. In Omar Kahn I trust.

Simply, they can give Wallace a back-loaded deal, where his major cap hits come later on... and then, before those cap hits actually take place, they extend him. They have done this several times with Hines Ward's contracts (as well as Troy's, and BB's, et cetera). Plus, as the cap rises, there becomes more room for signing other players in the future.

Lastly, I wrote a (long) post (somewhere) about how "If the Steelers sign Wallace", the Steelers would be set on offense for half a decade, and then could use the draft to fill holes on defense. Essentially, I foresee 70% of the cap being used on offensive players (Wallace, Brown, Pouncey, BB, DD, Heath, the rest of the O-line), and then use the draft almost solely on defenive players. That 30% allotted for defense, would be used on "home run picks", such as The Hair (ie players who should absolutely garner extensions); the rest of the defense would be filled with rent-a-cheap-young-players, such as Chris Hope (ie players whose assets would be used for four years, and then they would be allowed to leave via free agency).

tony hipchest
08-21-2012, 04:55 PM
He's going straight to hardass Mike's doghouse, whenever he reports - I hope he knows thati love it. in tomlins doghouse, while haley is tickled pink and welcoms him back with open arms.

good cop-bad cop.

GoFor7
08-21-2012, 04:59 PM
He's going straight to hardass Mike's doghouse, whenever he reports - I hope he knows that

Tomlin better not bench him for the first game. That would be beyond stupid.

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 05:00 PM
It's Ben's team - - - and you know Ben has had enough of this dink and dunk crap - he wants to throw DEEP!

teegre
08-21-2012, 05:02 PM

As Bill Cowher sued to say: "You owe me one."

After a bad play, Cowher told players that. I remember Antwaan Randle-El dropped a third down pass; Cowher told him, "You owe me!!!"; and Randel-El returned a punt for a TD.

I foresee Wallace "paying Tomlin back" with a game-winning SuperBowl TD. :tt:

SoCalFan
08-21-2012, 05:04 PM
He will pull a hammy first game out!

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 05:05 PM
As Bill Cowher sued to say: "You owe me one

I'd be satisfied with a long TD or two against the Broncos.

If Harrison says he's gonna be ready to play too, I bet Peyton's neck is starting to tingle.

Fire Arians
08-21-2012, 05:13 PM
It's Ben's team - - - and you know Ben has had enough of this dink and dunk crap - he wants to throw DEEP!

i don't think he minds as long as we got players like brown and rainey who occasionally break 50 yards after catch for a touchdown

actually, i think the fact we have players like that will make wallace even harder to defend. if we've shown anything this preseason, it's that we have dangerous open field weapons who can burn you for long gains even if you're defending the deep pass too much

teegre
08-21-2012, 05:14 PM
I'd be satisfied with a long TD or two against the Broncos.

Very true. A long TD on the first pass of the game would be a nice, immediate payback.

Truthfully, I was being extremely optimistic. Plus, a SuperBowl-winning TD means Tomlin would have to wait until February to get "paid back"... which is a long time... aha!!!... that will be Wallace's BONUS to Tomlin!!!

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
i don't think he minds as long as we got players like brown and rainey who occasionally break 50 yards after catch for a touchdown

He got lucky

he was almost killed the next time he tried it

Ben needs more than luck this year....he needs an O-line.........

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Very true. A long TD on the first pass of the game would be a nice, immediate payback.

but who will make it?

Ben and Antonio might show him up, maybe Antonio Brown wants to outplay him and make him his bitch?*

*Our Insider sources cannot confirm or deny this rumor at this time

teegre
08-21-2012, 05:46 PM
but who will make it?

Ben and Antonio might show him up, maybe Antonio Brown wants to outplay him and make him his bitch?*

*Our Insider sources cannot confirm or deny this rumor at this time

Aha... dueling TDs.

Wallace: 56 yards.
Brown: 65 yards.
Wallace: 70 yards.
Brown: 80 yards.
Wallace: 99 yards.
Brown: runs to the back of the end-zone, runs back out, for a 109 yard TD.

Final score:
PITT 48
DENV 3

Fire Haley
08-21-2012, 05:57 PM
I hear MJD wants out of Jacksonville

Can we trade Wallace to Jacksonville for Maurice Jones-Drew!

do it!

pete74
08-21-2012, 06:21 PM
I hear MJD wants out of Jacksonville

Can we trade Wallace to Jacksonville for Maurice Jones-Drew!

do it!

i said the same thing weeks ago. MJD lead the NFL in rushing yards last season with a QB that couldnt complete 50% of his throws to save his life. every team stacked the box and still he ran thru and around them. if he played for us he would be a 2000 yard back. he is wasting all his talent being stuck in Jacksonville

GoFor7
08-21-2012, 06:30 PM
i said the same thing weeks ago. MJD lead the NFL in rushing yards last season with a QB that couldnt complete 50% of his throws to save his life. every team stacked the box and still he ran thru and around them. if he played for us he would be a 2000 yard back. he is wasting all his talent being stuck in Jacksonville

Being that the Steelers actually have a QB, I'll take the receiver that streches the field over the RB. Remember, MJD is holding out because he wants a big payday too. The Steelers would just be trading one problem for a similar one.

tanda10506
08-21-2012, 06:31 PM

Agreed, especially with our new O line. MJD is pretty much the only player on the Jaguars, teams don't have to plan on anything except for shutting him down, and he still lead the league in rushing. Teams have enough to worry about with our passing game, if we brought over MJD behind our new O line he'd run all over the opposing team until they completely stacked the box allowing Wallace to be in man coverage on 40 yard + bombs. There would be nearly no stopping us, between trying to stop MJD and worry about the long ball, nobody could possibly cover Heath, Sanders, and/or Brown in the middle of the field on the quick routes. MJD can pick up the blitz real well too! Anyway, it's never going to happen.

tanda10506
08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Being that the Steelers actually have a QB, I'll take the receiver that streches the field over the RB. Remember, MJD is holding out because he wants a big payday too. The Steelers would just be trading one problem for a similar one.

Correct, the issue would not actually be solved unless the Steelers felt more comfortable giving MJD more money, which I highly doubt. I understand that Wallace is the deep threat and since we have a great QB that he may be better for our team then a RB. That may be true, hard to say though because there wouldn't be anybody back in coverage if we had MJD, so Brown and Sanders would turn in to deep threats too (probably still not like Wallace is).

PhantomJB93
08-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Problem is MJD wants paid too, and he's more obviously an elite talent at RB than Wallace is at WR. MJD can ask for Adrian Peterson money and not be out of his mind in the way the Wallace-Fitz $$ fiasco was.

Not that there's any chance of it happening, but if Wallace isn't going to sign a deal past this season, I'd pull the trigger and take my chances. Perhaps being on a contending team would knock MJD's price down a little.

Steelersfan87
08-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Wallace is far more valuable to the Steelers than Jones-Drew would be.

Fire Arians
08-21-2012, 08:00 PM

seconded. MJD would be too expensive as well

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2012, 08:40 PM

This :iagree:

When was the last Super Bowl champ with an A-list running back - Denver with Terrell Davis in 1997-1998? (The Bus went out as a legend but he was well past his prime by 2005)

It's a passing game now

steelpower12
08-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Wallace back....thread ended!

Atlanta Dan
08-21-2012, 08:58 PM

Link?

Or are you Ike Taylor and he wanted you to be the first to know?:noidea:

GoFor7
08-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Link?

Or are you Ike Taylor and he wanted you to be the first to know?:noidea:

Nah, he's mad because he posted a "Wallace is back" thread when one was already made, some of us let him know, and he took it too hard.

Although the point about Ike isn't too farfetched...:chuckle:

Fire Arians
08-21-2012, 10:14 PM

back in pittsburgh doesn't = signing his tender just yet

GoFor7
08-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Did you guys know that Mike comes from his middle name Michael? His real name is actually Burnell Michael Wallace.

Get your ass in here and sign your damn tender BURNELL!

steelfury02
08-22-2012, 09:03 AM
I can see a 70s comedy
"BURNEEEELLLL, get your butt back in here baby . . ."

I'll take MJD without the mileage. I don't like what happens the next season after you lead the league in something the previous season . . .

Bayz101
08-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I can see a 70s comedy
"BURNEEEELLLL, get your butt back in here baby . . ."

I'll take MJD without the mileage. I don't like what happens the next season after you lead the league in something the previous season . . .

http://truestarmag.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/pg2_a_johnson_576.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq8rx1QQfI1qk8gdu.jpg

:chuckle:

steelfury02
08-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I am somehow distracted by the awesomeness of the Air Jordans Will is sportin'

Bayz101
08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
I am somehow distracted by the awesomeness of the Air Jordans Will is sportin'

Oh shit! I want them!

teegre
08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Question:
With his time off, does anyone think that Wallace is stil fast?

GoFor7
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Question:

I would think so. Hopefully Tomlin cares more about winning then he does proving he's in charge. Wallace's presence opens up the other receivers. He doesn't need to be a student of the game to go deep, regardless of who's offense he's playing in.

Atlanta Dan
08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Question:

Faster than he would be if he had reported on time and torn up his knee during a game or practice like Sylvester and David Johnson

Getting timing down and learning the playbook are probably bigger issues

Steelersfan87
08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Question:

According to Ike, Wallace said that he wishes he's listen to Taylor earlier in going to Tom Shaw, so I'm imagining he's in pretty good shape. James Farrior was going to him to keep up his speed in his later years.

tony hipchest
08-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Question:
With his time off, does anyone think that Wallace is stil fast?i havent seen jessica alba in a film recently. im sure she's still hot as ever.

jenna jameson gave up porn, but i bet she can still "polish the lombardi" with the best of them.

:tt02:

(hell, darrell green has got to be in his 50's and still probably faster than 90% of WRs in the league.)

BGSU A Dub
08-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Mike Wallace is in Pittsburgh? :ttiwwp:

teegre
08-22-2012, 08:37 PM
i havent seen jessica alba in a film recently. im sure she's still hot as ever.

jenna jameson gave up porn, but i bet she can still "polish the lombardi" with the best of them.

:tt02:

(hell, darrell green has got to be in his 50's and still probably faster than 90% of WRs in the league.)

It was a mid-day joke. Notice how a ton of Wallace threads mysteriously found their way to the top of the board... with random questions added to the end.

Hawaii 5-0
08-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Report: Mike Wallace Back In Pittsburgh

Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Mike Bires of the Beaver County Times reports via Twitter Tuesday morning that he has been told that Pittsburgh Steelers restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace is back in Pittsburgh today.

Wallace had last been spotted working out down in Orlando, Florida with trainer Tom Shaw down at the Wide World of Sports complex. Last week several teammates were very optimistic that Wallace could possibly be in this week, while cornerback Ike Taylor said that he thought it could be the week after before Wallace reported and signed his $2.74 million restricted tender.

Wallace has now made missed all of the offseason program, all of training camp, and the Steelers first two preseason games. Reporting this week and signing his tender would allow Wallace enough time to get acclimated with the new offense and time to continue negotiations on a new long-term deal.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/report_mike_wallace_back_in_pittsburgh/11510995

teegre
08-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Well done, Hawaii 5-0... very well done indeed.

You went a step beyond (not just questions, but actual links... quite time-consuming). I am impressed, sir.

I still have a question though:
What number will Wallace wear?

steelfury02
08-23-2012, 08:23 AM
I came for Mike Wallace, I left with Jenna Jameson lol

Actually, that sounds wrong on many levels . . .

Hawaii 5-0
08-23-2012, 06:09 PM
If Wallace reports, he won’t play in preseason

By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, August 22, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=aL0T2 0d3VGfDDAKPjGWui8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsSD4z0L6kzUF6 WsuMlfpDWWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

If he signs his contract tender and reports to camp, Steelers receiver Mike Wallace won't be allowed to play in preseason games, per the NFL labor agreement.

Mike Wallace’s preseason is effectively over even before it started.

If the holdout wide receiver reports to the Steelers and signs his $2.742 million tender Sunday or Monday, as his teammates believe he will, he still must sit out three days under the NFL labor agreement. That would keep him out of the final preseason game Aug. 30 against Carolina and prevent him from practicing until Labor Day weekend.

According to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Wallace already has an understanding of Todd Haley’s new offense, despite not being with the team since last season.

“I talked to him today. He’s excited. We’re excited,” Roethlisberger said Wednesday. “He’s been working, and he’s been working not just on his conditioning and strength but working through the offense. If he’s been putting the work in he’s telling me he’s been doing, he’ll be fine.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2453476-85/preseason-wallace-reports-roethlisberger-season-steelers-won-working-alan-clark

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 06:12 PM
As long as he's there to stretch the field in the regular season...

Hawaii 5-0
08-23-2012, 06:39 PM
As long as he's there to stretch the field in the regular season...

Steelers' other WRs will embrace Wallace

August 23, 2012
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/235/841/mike-wallace_420.jpg

Now that a date has been determined for when holdout receiver Mike Wallace will return to the Steelers, the team can contemplate other questions surrounding their big-play receiver.

Assuming Wallace has been staying in good shape, the most important question to be answered is how quickly he can pick up Todd Haley's offense.

The consensus among his teammates Wednesday was that it won't be much of a problem.

"It depends on how much he's been doing while he's been away," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said after practice Wednesday afternoon. "From what he's told me, he's been working out, not just on his conditioning and his strength, but working through the offense.

"It could be a little bit of a challenge, but, if he's been putting in the work that he's told me he's been doing, I think he'll be fine."

Wallace, who is expected to report to the team this weekend, has been absent since the season ended in January because he was not happy with his contract situation. He was given a copy of the new playbook in the spring, but he did not attend the team's voluntary offseason program or the mandatory minicamp in June.

"Mike is a very intelligent guy, so picking up the offense won't be hard for him at all," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "The offense will be pretty easy for him to get down."

Even though the terminology is different, Wallace's role on the team won't change all that much. When he arrives, he'll step into his old role as the team's deep threat and put pressure on defensive coordinators to account for him every play.

"Mike is a big part of our team," running back Isaac Redman said. "He's a great player. He allows us to stretch defenses and have that deep threat. I'm looking forward to him coming back. He's also a good friend of mine. It'll be good to have him back in the locker room."

Entering his fourth season, Wallace made a name for himself the past few years with fellow young receivers Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. They refer to themselves as the "Young Money" crew.

Brown, entering his third season, signed a six-year contract for $42.5 million at the beginning of training camp. Wallace, unless he signs a long-term deal with the team before the regular season begins, will play this season for $2.7 million.

It remains to be seen if the dynamic within the receiving corps changes, but Sanders doesn't think it will because of the leadership Wallace exhibited in the past.

"It's a really good thing that he's coming back," Sanders said. "We're all looking forward to that. Mike takes the top off the defense so guys like me and Antonio and Jerricho can get open underneath. We're happy to hear he's coming back. We can't wait for his arrival.

"He's definitely helped me out a lot. I think we all helped each other. We created this Young Money group so we can stay as a receiving corps. Sometimes, as receivers, we can be selfish, so he created that, which brought us closer. He just taught us about the camaraderie of the wide-receiver position. And his speed and how he runs definitely helps me out."

Without Wallace, Sanders and the other receivers have benefited from more repetitions in camp. Sanders learned the outside X position, but he will return to the slot when Wallace returns. Sanders has greatly expanded knowledge of the offense because of Wallace's absence.

That could pay dividends if there is an injury or an unforeseen development. But, like the rest of his teammates, Sanders will welcome Wallace back with open arms.

"I got an opportunity to capitalize on him not being here," Sanders said. "It's been good for me, game chemistry with Ben, just catching footballs with the first-team offense, something that will hopefully pay off when the game begins.

"Mike will definitely be welcome. We're all waiting on him. He brings in his personality, that light demeanor, never too serious, that joking manner that sometimes we as athletes forget that this is a game we play. He has world-class speed, something you can't coach. He comes in, takes the tops off defense and gives us big-time plays."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-other-wrs-will-embrace-wallace-650155/#ixzz24PL2WciW

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-23-2012, 06:44 PM
I am sure he has been studying the playbook like a pro, but that is not the same as actually being there in pads and actually running that playbook against human opponents. Hopefully his learning curve is steep.

Hawaii 5-0
08-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Breaking news...:coffee:

Big Ben anticipates Mike Wallace's return to Steelers

By Marc Sessler
Aug. 26, 2012

Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't need Mike Wallace in Saturday's 38-7 preseason romp over the Buffalo Bills, but the team's best wide receiver won't be a luxury come September.

Wallace informed teammates that he plans to sign his restricted free-agent tender this weekend, NFL.com and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported this week. Roethlisberger on Saturday sounded all but certain about Wallace's return.

"We're excited to get Mike back. I talk to him all the time, and you know he's one of us," Roethlisberger told NFL.com and NFL Network's Kimberly Jones during halftime of Saturday's game. "He's one of our boys, we are like family. So when he gets back, we are going to be excited."

"In a day or two?" Jones asked.

"I hope so," Roethlisberger said.

With the team's regular-season opener against the Denver Broncos just two weeks away, Wallace has taken his holdout to the brink. It hasn't resulted in the big-money, long-term contract he hoped for, which is no surprise.

The Steelers have voiced their unwillingness to negotiate new deals with holdouts. Playing good soldier worked for Antonio Brown, and it might be Wallace's best chance for a long-term contract.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054885/article/big-ben-anticipates-mike-wallaces-return-to-steelers

Hawaii 5-0
08-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Wallace says he's "ready to play ball"

Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/3c/63c5d290-f57f-56b3-8a6c-071b3dadbbf2/4ef652707bc2c.preview-300.jpg

The Steelers' Mike Wallace hangs on to the ball for a 46-yard catch to the one yard line during the Steelers 27-0 win over the St. Louis Rams at Heinz Field on Saturday, December 24, 2011. The play set up a touchdown run by Rashard Mendenhall.

PITTSBURGH -- At long last, the Mike Wallace holdout is over.

The Steelers wide receiver showed up at team headquarters shortly after 11:30 this morning. And he pronounced himself "ready to play ball."

After signing his one-year tender worth $2.7 million, Wallace won't be able to practice with the team for three days according to league rules. He can, however, take part in conditioning drills on his own.

Wallace, who led the Steelers in receptions, receiving yards and touchdown catches last year, can practice with the team starting Monday.

"I’m not worried about it at all because I have good teammates and they’ll get me ready," Wallace said when asked if he's in shape. "As far as conditioning-wise, we have two weeks until the game. I’ve been working out, and I’ve been doing really good conditioning so that’s not going to be a problem.

"Nothing is like getting in football shape because that is a little different. So the first couple days, I might be a little more tired than some of the guys, but not because I'm not in shape. It's because it's different with pads on. I'll be ready when it's time to go Sunday night (Sept. 9) against Denver. I'm ready to play ball."

Wallace had been holding out because he and the Steelers weren't able to come to terms on a long-term contract prior to the start of training camp.

"I wanted to get something done," Wallace said of his holdout. "My whole time, I never wanted to be away from my teammates. I love my teammates and I love this organization. I never once wanted to be away. But that's the business side of it. We handled it the way we had to."

Apparently, none of the Steelers are disappointed that Wallace has missed virtually all of the preseason. They understand the business part of football.

"It's part of the business," said free safety Ryan Clark. "You understand when it's your opportunity, when it's your time to get a contract for the long-term, you have to seize it and jump on it. That's what Mike did."

Actually, that's what Wallace tried to do. He has yet to receive a long-term contract. And he has until Sept. 9 to do so. The Steelers don't negotiate player contracts once the regular season begins.

http://burgh.us/ftk