PDA

View Full Version : Whats our OL Lineup look like this week???

Steel_Bus_24
08-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Heading into the 3rd Pre-Season game we should have our OL locked and ready to go.

Adams flaming out has me worried again......We can't have LT play like we had at the start of the season last year.....Ben was nearly eviscerated in those games

steelfury02
08-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Gilbert and Starks to the rescue

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2012, 11:15 AM
I think we see the same as last week and maybe get Starks in at LT with the #2's vs Buffalo. I'd hate to throw him in against NFL starters on his 4th day back from injury.

Gilbert can handle LT again. The kid is a Beast!

GoFor7
08-22-2012, 11:25 AM
They are trying to go with Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert. RIght now the question mark is Starks. They want to make sure his knee is ready.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2012, 11:59 AM
They are trying to go with Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert. RIght now the question mark is Starks. They want to make sure his knee is ready.

Exactly. That is why I would not risk Starks rushing back in a preaseason game to start against anything but the Bills 2nd string. That is just me, but Kugler will do what is right for his group. Coach Kugs is a Beast!!

teegre
08-22-2012, 12:02 PM
For the remainder of the pre-season:
Gilbert - The Colon - Pouncey - DD - Foster

For week one:
Starks - The Colon - Pouncey - DD - Gilbert

As many have stated: no reason to rush Starks back (for a completely MENAINGLESS game).

stuck_in_VA
08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
If the "Starks Colon Pouncey DeCastro Gilbert" line can stay healthy this year, I have high hopes this line can protect Ben and provide for a dominant running game.

Lokki
08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
If the "Starks Colon Pouncey DeCastro Gilbert" line can stay healthy this year, I have high hopes this line can protect Ben and provide for a dominant running game.

Me too. That should be a great line if they can stay healthy. :tt03:

Fire Arians
08-22-2012, 02:32 PM

our running game will be beastly if the guys up front stay healthy. of course that's always the big question mark with our line. Hard for the line to gel if they're always playing musical chairs.

Steelersfan87
08-22-2012, 06:08 PM
From the sounds of it, I don't think Gilbert is going to run first team left tackle for the rest of this preseason, because Starks appears to be back. I felt that Adams progressed in his last game and I expect further progression against the Bills.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2012, 06:17 PM
From the sounds of it, I don't think Gilbert is going to run first team left tackle for the rest of this preseason, because Starks appears to be back. I felt that Adams progressed in his last game and I expect further progression against the Bills.

Adams did play better, but IMO he lets the rusher get to close to him and isnt strong enough to deliver a punch and keep him at a distance. Those that know O line play will understand that its not good to let defenders get their hands inside the blockers frame.

Adams needs more time in Geimont's weight room and Kuglers practices to refine his pass protection. That should happen throught the season and next year, but I dont think he is ready for prime time yet.

Fire Arians
08-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Adams did play better, but IMO he lets the rusher get to close to him and isnt strong enough to deliver a punch and keep him at a distance. Those that know O line play will understand that its not good to let defenders get their hands inside the blockers frame.

Adams needs more time in Geimont's weight room and Kuglers practices to refine his pass protection. That should happen throught the season and next year, but I dont think he is ready for prime time yet.

he should go and train at that camp that ziggy went to. agree with the adams assessment, he's just not strong enough to handle the NFL yet, but that is fixable.

pittpete
08-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Why would ya have Gilbert play LT for the rest of the preseason if hes not going to play there come September?
Adams needs the reps and needs to learn from his mistakes so he needs to be in as much as possible IMO.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Why would ya have Gilbert play LT for the rest of the preseason if hes not going to play there come September?
Adams needs the reps and needs to learn from his mistakes so he needs to be in as much as possible IMO.

Same reason that guys like Marvel Smith, Michael Oher, Joe Thomas etc? Started at RT in the NFL. Get them used to the speed, strength and skill of NFL players in the less demanding RT spot.

Adams should start over there for a year IMO.

Steelersfan87
08-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Adams did play better, but IMO he lets the rusher get to close to him and isnt strong enough to deliver a punch and keep him at a distance.

This was definitely evident. He needs to learn to use his arms. He lets rushers punch him in the gut and push off to create distance to get a seam into the pocket. I'd still like to see what he's able to do in the next two games before I decide whether or not he would be able to play effectively at some point during the year though. I hope he gets a lot of reps spotting Starks and Gilbert stays on the right side, at least with the first team, if the plan is to have either Starks or Adams man the left side this year.

tony hipchest
08-23-2012, 02:23 AM
since it is obvious adams isnt going to be the week 1 starting LT, he probably shouldnt be in there at any point at LT that #7 is in the game.

either sit ben, or sit adams.

not switching the guy we drafted last year to be LT in the 2nd round (gilbert) and plugging adams in at RT from the get-go is one of the more peculiar and non-conventional NFL coaching decisions i have seen in a while. especially strange that peculiarity is coming from the steelers.

then again, mendenhall was taken off the PUP still 8 weeks away from starting and harrison and worilds are still shelved.

Steel_Bus_24
08-23-2012, 08:55 AM
since it is obvious adams isnt going to be the week 1 starting LT, he probably shouldnt be in there at any point at LT that #7 is in the game.

either sit ben, or sit adams.

not switching the guy we drafted last year to be LT in the 2nd round (gilbert) and plugging adams in at RT from the get-go is one of the more peculiar and non-conventional NFL coaching decisions i have seen in a while. especially strange that peculiarity is coming from the steelers.

then again, mendenhall was taken off the PUP still 8 weeks away from starting and harrison and worilds are still shelved.

Well really we should have seen trouble coming with this spot when they thought freakin Scott could man the LT spot a whole season last year

That was a disaster that everybody knew was coming....Thank the lord Ben didn't get taken out

steelfury02
08-23-2012, 09:19 AM
oh my, don't want to remember Ravens, Texans, or 49ers game at all - gasped every time he dropped back. Even the Colts game last season.

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 10:12 AM
oh my, don't want to remember Ravens, Texans, or 49ers game at all - gasped every time he dropped back. Even the Colts game last season.

People talk about Ben needing to get rid of the ball quicker.... he didn't even have time for that in those games....

steelfury02
08-23-2012, 10:16 AM
they all had good to elite pass rush so yup, agreed
You want to win every game, but each of those teams had a little extra mustard and somethin to prove when playing us

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-23-2012, 10:20 AM
This was definitely evident. He needs to learn to use his arms. He lets rushers punch him in the gut and push off to create distance to get a seam into the pocket. I'd still like to see what he's able to do in the next two games before I decide whether or not he would be able to play effectively at some point during the year though. I hope he gets a lot of reps spotting Starks and Gilbert stays on the right side, at least with the first team, if the plan is to have either Starks or Adams man the left side this year.

Rushers dont aim for the OT's gut. They look to strike at the chestplate or shoulderpads...then once hands are on the blocker they will execute a rip move, arm over or push-pull move to get rid of them.

Adams is playing so upright at times, some not that strong defenders are getting in his frame and bull rushing. He should get better if he keeps his head in his work.

Steelersfan87
08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
That was a poorly chosen word...I was writing at 2 in the morning. I meant to indicate rushers getting their hands in high. There were a few times where they were practically at his neck.

TheDude
08-23-2012, 05:56 PM
That was a poorly chosen word...I was writing at 2 in the morning. I meant to indicate rushers getting their hands in high. There were a few times where they were practically at his neck.

There are some technique issues, for sure. I really think those particular issues have made him look like the rookie he is.

They are fixable however. I'm ok with things not coming too easy for the young man. He might benefit in the long run from these struggles. Learn some humility. Learn to accept coaching. Learn to become a student of the game.

Hawaii 5-0
08-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Steelers Injury News: Starks Will Start, Steelers Third Offensive Line Combination in Three Games

by Neal Coolong on Aug 24, 2012

Steelers LT Max Starks will return to the starting lineup for the first time since tearing an ACL in Pittsburgh's 29-23 (OT) loss at Denver on Jan. 8th.

It also marks the third starting offensive line combination the Steelers have used this preseason, and in particular, the third starting left tackle.

While it was a matter of time until Starks returned to the starting lineup - barring injury, he'll start there all season - the instability along the line has produced less-than-stellar results. The Steelers have shown some flashes of a very potent running attack, particularly with LG Willie Colon and RG David DeCastro pulling on power runs, but pass protection has been a problem throughout all units and combinations they've put on the field.

The most recent starting combination - LT Starks, LG Colon, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG DeCastro and RT Marcus Gilbert - is most likely the group that will start at Denver in Week 1 and beyond. Veteran Ramon Foster has played both guard positions and right tackle so far in preseason games, and Gilbert has played both tackle spots.

Saturday's game at Buffalo will keep this unit on the field for the entire first half, maybe more, and it will go a long way toward developing that cohesion necessary for an offensive line to perform at a high level. This is particularly important considering neither Colon nor DeCastro played their respective positions for the Steelers in 2011. Gilbert is in his second year, and while he started 15 games last season including the playoffs, he didn't play with a rookie off his left hand in that time.

The potential abounds in this lineup, though. Pouncey is an All Pro player, Colon has excelled as a tackle and is better suited as a guard. DeCastro is one of the most highly offensive line prospects in the last 10 years, and has already shown flashes of being a dominant player. Starks has been a solid veteran in his eight years with the team, and Gilbert was impressive for a rookie in 2011.

The question is how quickly this group can come together. The sooner that happens, the more advanced the Steelers passing offense - which has been fairly simplistic to this point in the preseason - can be in Week 1.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/24/3265158/steelers-injury-news-offensive-line-max-starks-mike-adams

Hawaii 5-0
09-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Steelers O-line in good hands with Kugler

PUBLISHED: SEPTEMBER 8, 2012
by John Dudley

Cursed? Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler wouldn't go that far.

But in two-plus seasons in Pittsburgh he has seen a string of starting linemen go down with significant injuries, most recently rookie guard David DeCastro, a first-round pick who suffered a torn knee ligament in a preseason game at Buffalo.

DeCastro's injury is devastating, considering that the Steelers expected him to step in and immediately solidify the right side of the offensive line. They even parted ways with veteran Chris Kemoeatu in March, leaving Ramon Foster as the only guard on the roster with meaningful experience at the position. (Willie Colon, the starter at left guard this season, has made all 51 of his career starts at tackle.)

But this isn't Kugler's first rodeo.

No sooner had he arrived in Pittsburgh than the Steelers lost Colon during the preseason to the first of what would become back-to-back season-ending injuries.

The patchwork quilt began to take shape from there.

Center Maurkice Pouncey, the team's 2010 first-round pick, went down at the most critical points of the past two seasons with injuries that kept him out of Super Bowl XLV and last year's AFC wild-card loss in Denver.

At one point last season, guard Trai Essex was forced to play center because Pouncey was out and backup Doug Legursky got hurt in a game against the St. Louis Rams.

It would be laughable if it weren't so frustrating for a team whose foundation rests on power running behind a rock-solid offensive line.

But the 46-year-old Kugler isn't whining. A Lockport, N.Y., native whose college offensive line coach at Texas-El Paso was Andy Reid and who once painted a mural of the Miners' mascot, Paydirt Pete, across the weight room wall, relishes the challenge of piecing together a unit each week, if that unit happens to be in pieces.

"The reason I like coaching the offensive line is I like coaching all five guys collectively,' Kugler said. "It's a challenge to get all five guys to play together as a unit, and I enjoy coaching the entire group."

Still, the net result of all the shifting has been a gradual decline in the Steelers' commitment to the run and a lot of beatings for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the $100 million investment who has been sacked 73 times over the past two seasons.

The Steelers have thrown more and more, in part because of the difficulty involved in establishing and maintaining a consistent running game with a revolving door of blockers and in part because the league, which has always worked in cycles, has cycled into a passing game again.

Not so long ago, the Steelers had the NFL's most feared ground attack. They ranked in the league's top 10 in rushing for four straight seasons from 2004-2007. But over the past four seasons, they've ranked 23rd, 19th, 11th and 14th.

No offensive line coach could have made lemonade with the lemons Kugler has been dealt over the past two seasons, but he has shown a no-excuses resiliency that has rubbed off on his players.

A big, tough guy with two big, tough sons who helped North Allegheny High School outside Pittsburgh win a PIAA title two years ago, Kugler has earned the respect of head coach Mike Tomlin -- he of the "next man up" philosophy -- and praise elsewhere in and near the Steelers locker room.

Former Steelers offensive lineman Craig Wolfley said last year that he believes Kugler deserves a great deal of the credit for the team's managing to reach the playoffs the past two years despite a string of catastrophic injuries up front.

"Number one, he's played the position," Wolfley said. "He brings an attitude. He celebrates the physical style of play. When their coach becomes someone that they want to be one of his guys, then you want to be that guy. If you see highlights on film of guys throwing guys down, you want to be the guy throwing guys down. He engenders a great sense of guys busting their humps for him."

Kugler, who arrived in Pittsburgh on the heels of coaching the Bills' offensive line, calls what he does "the greatest job in the world."

What he's managed to do on the job the past two seasons speaks of greatness, too.

http://www.goerie.com/article/20120908/SPORTS0509/309089920/John-Dudley%3A-Juggled-Steelers-O-line-in-good-hands-with-Kugler