PDA

View Full Version : Now for the Veterans

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Now the veterans

With all their rookie contracts done, the Steelers can concentrate on two veteran starters who they would like to sign to extensions. Cornerback Ike Taylor enters the fourth and final year of his deal and would become an unrestricted free agent after the season. Halfback Willie Parker enters the third and final year of his contract and would become a restricted free agent.

"Those are still ongoing," said Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations. "Everybody's here and we'll see if anything continues to develop. Our policy is to talk up until the first regular-season game. We're always open to any negotiation up to that point."

Taylor said he never thought of holding out, something receiver Hines Ward did in the first two weeks last summer. Players can be fined as much as $14,000 a day under the new CBA if they have a contract and do not report.

"I'm going to let the chips fall," Taylor said. "I'm just going to play football. I'm glad to be back; let's get ready for the 2006 season." - PPG

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Now the veterans

With all their rookie contracts done, the Steelers can concentrate on two veteran starters who they would like to sign to extensions. Cornerback Ike Taylor enters the fourth and final year of his deal and would become an unrestricted free agent after the season. Halfback Willie Parker enters the third and final year of his contract and would become a restricted free agent.

"Those are still ongoing," said Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations. "Everybody's here and we'll see if anything continues to develop. Our policy is to talk up until the first regular-season game. We're always open to any negotiation up to that point."

Taylor said he never thought of holding out, something receiver Hines Ward did in the first two weeks last summer. Players can be fined as much as $14,000 a day under the new CBA if they have a contract and do not report.

"I'm going to let the chips fall," Taylor said. "I'm just going to play football. I'm glad to be back; let's get ready for the 2006 season." - PPG

Taylor has got to be a priority...he is the first cornerback I have gotten excited about since Woodson!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Well Ike had a very good year last year no doubt. I would like to see him resigned. But I would like to point out a few things. I hope Ike holds onto some of those INT's this year. Last year I think Ike could have had 10 INT's but he dropped so many. Another thing to consider is to make sure we have enough room to lock up Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger down the road.

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2006, 09:57 AM
My question..........

Hypothetically if we sign both Ike and Willie to extensions this year and next year we extend both Ben and Troy, who are the odd men out? That's my main concern.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2006, 10:10 AM
My question..........

Hypothetically if we sign both Ike and Willie to extensions this year and next year we extend both Ben and Troy, who are the odd men out? That's my main concern.

Well Joey Porter, Alan Faneca, Dan Kreider and Max Starks could be some of those odd men out. I think all their contracts are coming up.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Well Joey Porter, Alan Faneca, Dan Kreider and Max Starks could be some of those odd men out. I think all their contracts are coming up.

..and we all know how the Steelers do business. They will cut the fullback and find someone to play cheaper...and then start letting older vets go to other teams. WHO will be gone will be obvious by mid-season. If you see a younger player getting more reps...Goodbye Vet!

siss
07-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Isnt Alan Faneca close to retiring? Same with Hartings? We might save a little on there retirement. Not that I want him going anywhere...but the extra money might come in handy when trying to resign Ben and Troy.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2006, 10:24 AM
..and we all know how the Steelers do business. They will cut the fullback and find someone to play cheaper...and then start letting older vets go to other teams. WHO will be gone will be obvious by mid-season. If you see a younger player getting more reps...Goodbye Vet!

I know. Just look at all the FB's that have come and gone the last 10+ years. I think the list is John L. Williams, Tim Lester, Jon Witman and Dan Kreider will be the next to go. The same with the LB's. So Joey Porter's days might be numbered as a Steeler as well.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Isnt Alan Faneca close to retiring? Same with Hartings? We might save a little on there retirement. Not that I want him going anywhere...but the extra money might come in handy when trying to resign Ben and Troy.

Hartings is closer to retirment then Faneca. But Alan will be 30 this season.

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2006, 10:33 AM
I would hate to see us lose Starks.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2006, 10:37 AM
I would hate to see us lose Starks.

I'm with you on that one. But I would like to see Starks be more consistent and dominate more for a man his size. I don't want to sound that I'm being to hard on Max since he was a first time starter last year. But I think Max Starks has tons of pontential and could be a very dominating RT in this league for years to come. With Trai Essex being on the team and waiting in the wings. Do you think that could effect the Steelers in resigning Max?

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm also wondering about Townsend. Even though we resigned him this year to a four year deal, I wonder if they will have enough faith in McFadden next year around this time in order to let Townsend go and give McFadden the green light. After the showing McFadden put on this past season, I wouldn't be surprised nor would I be upset.

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Do you think that could effect the Steelers in resigning Max?

No doubt Starks still has to learn a thing or two after only his first year starting, I still like Starks over Essex. I would hate to see a guy so young with tons of potential let go and end up on a team where he becomes a future Pro-Bowler in order to take a gamble on Essex. But, I guess that's the price you pay in order to keep Ike, Ben and Troy.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2006, 10:48 AM
No doubt Starks still has to learn a thing or two after only his first year starting, I still like Starks over Essex. I would hate to see a guy so young with tons of potential let go and end up on a team where he becomes a future Pro-Bowler in order to take a gamble on Essex. But, I guess that's the price you pay in order to keep Ike, Ben and Troy.

Well I hope they do keep Max trust me. Even with Essex on the roster. You can never have enough Olineman.

About Townsend. I think even if McFadden proves to be a solid starter that the Steelers will keep Townsend. The reason I think with Colclough not really stepping up yet that the Steelers would keep Townsend to be the nickel corner. Now if Colclough steps up in his third year like Ike did last year. That could effect the Steelers minds in keeping DeShea. So I think Ricardo Colclough might hold the cards in Townsend's future with the team.

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Well I hope they do keep Max trust me. Even with Essex on the roster. You can never have enough Olineman.

About Townsend. I think even if McFadden proves to be a solid starter that the Steelers will keep Townsend. The reason I think with Colclough not really stepping up yet that the Steelers would keep Townsend to be the nickel corner. Now if Colclough steps up in his third year like Ike did last year. That could effect the Steelers minds in keeping DeShea. So I think Ricardo Colclough might hold the cards in Townsend's future with the team.

That sort of scares me. Colclough has not shown me very much since he came here. Going by local reports, the Steelers are not exactly jumping for joy over Colclough either. For a second round pick, I expected much more out of him. By no means was I expecting him to come in and shut down every WR in the NFL, but on KR's he tends to put the ball on the ground and his CB skills still have a long way to go. I wouldn't go as far to say that this could be a make or break year for Colclough, but he better start looking over his shoulder and I don't mean in order to break up a pass.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-29-2006, 01:55 PM

3 out of 4 seem like easy signings. I think Faneca and Kreider wouldn't think of playing anywhere else.

Joey being Joey could end up the next great Steeler with an unceremonius exit. But since we didn't take linebackers in the draft the situation might get tricky. Can Harrison step up to give the Steelers enough leverage to draft an impact player if Joey wants to break the bank? As if we don't have enought to worry about now.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-29-2006, 01:58 PM
I look for several players to step up this year and play more...Mcfadden obviously, but Essex and Kemoeatu should see the field more. I think rookies Holmes, Reid, Smith and Harris might contribute in some form also.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2006, 02:00 PM
3 out of 4 seem like easy signings. I think Faneca and Kreider wouldn't think of playing anywhere else.

Joey being Joey could end up the next great Steeler with an unceremonius exit. But since we didn't take linebackers in the draft the situation might get tricky. Can Harrison step up to give the Steelers enough leverage to draft an impact player if Joey wants to break the bank? As if we don't have enought to worry about now.

Well here is the thing bro about Faneca. He will be 30 in December. Do you think he is getting at that age that signing him long term might be risky? Sure I would want back and to be able to retire a Steeler. But with football players when they hit 30. Thats the age where anytime the bottom can drop out for a player. I don't think Joey will be back. Look at the LB's that have come and gone. The Steelers always find OLB for their 3-4 scheme. About Jame Harrison. I think he will be fine as a starter.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2006, 02:03 PM
I look for several players to step up this year and play more...Mcfadden obviously, but Essex and Kemoeatu should see the field more. I think rookies Holmes, Reid, Smith and Harris might contribute in some form also.

I agree about with you bro. I see McFadden having a real solid year. I think Kemoeatu will give a serious challenge to Simmons for the starting RG spot. I'm sure that Holmes will make more plays as a WR then El. Willie Reid will makes us all forget about El on punt returns. I like Anthony Smith to make a impact on special teams this year. I think he will block a kick this year. Smith did block six kicks in his college career.

BigDude66687
07-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Taylor is def priority cause Willie is a resticted free agent and we can protect him :), we gotta resign taylor he's a key to the defense with mcfadden

Atlanta Dan
07-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I believe Joey Porter has seen his last contract with the Steelers and he knows it. As another poster noted, the Steelers have a history of cutting defensive players loose around the time they hit Porter's age.

Hopefully he will not let it impact his performance.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Well here is the thing bro about Faneca. He will be 30 in December. Do you think he is getting at that age that signing him long term might be risky? Sure I would want back and to be able to retire a Steeler. But with football players when they hit 30. Thats the age where anytime the bottom can drop out for a player. I don't think Joey will be back. Look at the LB's that have come and gone. The Steelers always find OLB for their 3-4 scheme. About Jame Harrison. I think he will be fine as a starter.

So you're thinking another team will go 'Kimo' and offer him a deal he absolutely can not refuse at his age? Yeah.

Stlrs4Life
07-29-2006, 07:00 PM
I know it is getting old but, please extend Ike now!

83-Steelers-43
07-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I know it is getting old but, please extend Ike now!

It never get's old. It's what should be done.