PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Special Teams Coach Everest Fired Today?

NLong725
08-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Steelers fire special teams coach al everest

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Jay Glazer from FOX Sports reported it. Just checked the Twitter accounts of Kaboly and Bouchette and they have said nothing about it. This is certainly odd. Could it be another false alarm like the Arians "firing" in early 2010?

Atlanta Dan
08-23-2012, 03:46 PM
WTF?

Who fires the special teams coach 2 weeks beforre the start of the regular season unless he was found in bed with a live boy or a dead woman?

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 04:01 PM
What the hell? Season starts in a couple weeks...

TheDude
08-23-2012, 04:05 PM
:noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
08-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Steelers fire special teams coach Al Everest

Thu, Aug 23rd, 2012 by DePaoli

The Pittsburgh Steelers have parted ways with special teams coach Al Everest, Jay Glazer of Fox Sports first reported. Everest was hired from San Francisco following the 2009 season.

Reasons for the firing are unknown but Tomlin has been extremely disappointed with the return game.

Amos Jones who is currently the Steelers assistant special teams coach and figures to take over Everest role as special teams coordinator.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/steelers-fire-special-teams-coach-al-everest/51829/

Atlanta Dan
08-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Confirmation

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Steelers special teams coach Al Everest just walked out the team facility with a handful of his belongings.

http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/238738233880621057

After being forced to can Arians maybe Tomlin has dveloped a taste for this sort of thing?:noidea:

Will edit the thread title

stiller39
08-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Take control Tomlin.....

Atlanta Dan
08-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Steelers fire special teams coach al everest

Thanks for picking this up quickly:thumbsup:

Bayz101
Mike Tomlin said the "Return game was below the line" after the game, so i'm assuming he made the call to let Everest go.

TheDude
Jay Glazer from FOX Sports reported it. Just checked the Twitter accounts of Kaboly and Bouchette and they have said nothing about it. This is certainly odd. Could it be another false alarm like the Arians "firing" in early 2010?

or could it be another situation from the recent assistant coach of the past (OL coach i think) and his...ahem, choice in emails.

It would have to be a pretty big screw up to get canned this close to the start of the season

Atlanta Dan
08-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Mike Tomlin said the "Return game was below the line" after the game, so i'm assuming he made the call to let Everest go.

Nah - Art Rooney forced him to do it:chuckle:

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 04:12 PM

Maybe Al Davis's ghost has possessed Art! That's why he's suddenly become so meddlesome! Then maybe the ghost left Art and possessed Tomlin and fired Everest!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! GODDAMN YOU AL DAVIS!

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 04:15 PM
The special teams performance was "below the line" and the game-winning field goal was almost blocked! Tomlin probably just had enough.

NLong725
08-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Cant believe they did this with two weeks left

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Cant believe they did this with two weeks left

I can't imagine Tomlin would have done it if there wasn't a competent replacement already lined up. If Mike really was unhappy with the way the Special Teams was performing though, i'm glad he made the decision. Special teams was looking bad.

Hawaii 5-0
08-23-2012, 04:33 PM

official word will be that Al Everest "retired" :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
08-23-2012, 04:34 PM
"We are continually evaluating our coaching staff and support staff, and we have decided to go in a different direction with respect to the coaching of our special teams," head coach Mike Tomlin said. "I want to thank Al for his contributions and efforts, and I wish him well in the future."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-fire-special-teams-coach-650249/

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-23-2012, 04:36 PM
The special teams performance was "below the line" and the game-winning field goal was almost blocked! Tomlin probably just had enough.

I am not sure why they hired Everest in the first place. We got rid of Ligashesky, who was god-awful, and instead picked up another cast-off from the 49ers. They never had a descent kick coverage team under Everest.

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
There it is. Hopefully our special teams improves now.

tony hipchest
08-23-2012, 04:46 PM
The special teams performance was "below the line" and the game-winning field goal was almost blocked! Tomlin probably just had enough.morty ivy also had a blocked punt. i think that makes 2 since the rob bironas tennesseee incident. we sent our kick returner to the pro bowl last year to represent the AFC. maybe whoever took him offa teams should take the blame :tap:

everest also turned aound the most pourous coverage units in the league into one of the strongest in the matter of ayear. he also doesnt have any toys like battle, madison, or iwoma to play with anymore.

this move is just one of the many peculiar moves this season so far, but i bet amos jones will do just as well.

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
In the long-run this move means nothing. In the short term though, this is one of those times Tomlin makes you scratch your head. There's rumors that this firing may have been more personal than professional. Maybe Everest did something to piss him off. Heard he showed up late to work today.

Tomlin better pull his panties out of his asscrack when Wallace shows up. I know he's pissed at him, but with Clark not playing, and Hampton and Harrison probably not playing, the offense will need to make up the difference - and that won't likely happen if Wallace sits.

Vis
08-23-2012, 05:08 PM
In the long-run this move means nothing. In the short term though, this is one of those times Tomlin makes you scratch your head. There's rumors that this firing may have been more personal than professional. Maybe Everest did something to piss him off. Heard he showed up late to work today.

Tomlin better pull his panties out of his asscrack when Wallace shows up. I know he's pissed at him, but with Clark not playing, and Hampton and Harrison probably not playing, the offense will need to make up the difference - and that won't likely happen if Wallace sits.

How do you know what you say you know?

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 05:15 PM
How do you know what you say you know?

In regards to the rumors about the firing being more personal, they're just rumors I heard on the radio. So take it with a grain of salt. In regards to Everest showing up late:

Alby Oxenreiter ‏@albyox

Don't know if it has anything to do w/ firing but Al Everest was late getting 2 work 2day-later than other coaches & out of character 4 him.

Vis
08-23-2012, 05:16 PM
In regards to the rumors about the firing being more personal, they're just rumors I heard on the radio. So take it with a grain of salt. In regards to Everest showing up late:

In regards to Tomlins feelings about Wallace? That's where you used the words "I know" You seem to know it well enough to intimate that Tomlin is acting in a less than professional manner.

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
In regards to Tomlins feelings about Wallace? That's where you used the words "I know"

Doesn't everybody know Tomlin is pissed at Wallace for missing training camp?

Vis
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Doesn't everybody know Tomlin is pissed at Wallace for missing training camp?

I don't. I heard it said by a reporter. I certainly don't know it enough to attack him for having his panties in his asscrack

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't. I heard it said by a reporter. I certainly don't know it enough to attack him for having his panties in his asscrack

It actually seems pretty obvious even without reporters saying anything. Regardless, my point is that Tomlin would be hurting the team's chances of winning at Denver if he benches Wallace. Yes, Wallace may not be an expert on Haley's offense, but so what? Go deep. Use him as a decoy. Open things up for Brown and Sanders.

One of the very few dents in Tomlin's armor is that he lets his emotions cloud his judgement and makes knee-jerk reactions. With three important defensive starters likely out in Denver, the offense doesn't need to be hindered because Tomlin and Wallace don't want to put their big-boy pants on.

Steelersfan87
08-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Harrison and Hampton are not "likely" out at all right now, and what are these knee-jerk reactions that Tomlin has made?

StainlessStill
08-23-2012, 05:37 PM
You know, there were NUMEROUS times in just these 2 pre-season games that I kept saying "Man, our special teams kick coverage is getting GASHED." Then the partially blocked FG had me shaking my head. Good move. It's time for Tomlin to see what he seems fit around here.

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Yes, in fact, Hampton, Harrison and even Mendenhall shouldn't be put in that category. Tomlin's made knee-jerk reactions in regards to who, or what?

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 05:40 PM
morty ivy also had a blocked punt. i think that makes 2 since the rob bironas tennesseee incident. we sent our kick returner to the pro bowl last year to represent the AFC. maybe whoever took him offa teams should take the blame :tap:

everest also turned aound the most pourous coverage units in the league into one of the strongest in the matter of ayear. he also doesnt have any toys like battle, madison, or iwoma to play with anymore.

this move is just one of the many peculiar moves this season so far, but i bet amos jones will do just as well.

Our special teams unit was getting schooled just like it was a few years back, as far as kick-return coverage. Add the blocked field-goal and Everest showing up late...

Vis
08-23-2012, 05:42 PM
It actually seems pretty obvious even without reporters saying anything. Regardless, my point is that Tomlin would be hurting the team's chances of winning at Denver if he benches Wallace. Yes, Wallace may not be an expert on Haley's offense, but so what? Go deep. Use him as a decoy. Open things up for Brown and Sanders.

One of the very few dents in Tomlin's armor is that he lets his emotions cloud his judgement and makes knee-jerk reactions. With three important defensive starters likely out in Denver, the offense doesn't need to be hindered because Tomlin and Wallace don't want to put their big-boy pants on.

If he acts in keeping with your unsupported assumptions it would be bad. Got it.

SteelerJay
08-23-2012, 05:51 PM
wtf??? I thought Special teams are filled with wanna be's in pre-season,,,,they weren't bad last year, so it wasn't like the coach forgot how to coach...gotta be something else - so close to the next game...

FrancoLambert
08-23-2012, 05:57 PM
I gotta support Tomlin on this one. The return game has looked very weak.
This move will certainly gets everyone's attention and everyone up on their toes.
It will be very interesting to see their performance this Saturday.

Fire Arians
08-23-2012, 06:00 PM
fire everest! lol

Steelersfan87
08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Many 'insiders' were surprised when Amos Jones wasn't named the ST coach over Everest anyway, so by them this news was met with an overwhelming "meh" for the most part.

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Officially those players aren't listed as out, but sources close to the team don't expect them to suit up week 1. Besides, how many times have you heard a football player recovering from some sort of ailment say something along the lines of "I plan on playing" and then don't play? Wishful thinking wants us to believe them, but when you consider their age and the way they play (especially Harrison) don't hold your breath. And Mendenhall tore his ACL almost 8 months ago, he's not playing.

Tomlin has made some knee-jerk reactions in regards to coach's challenges - throwing the flag when he shouldn't have. Another example was cutting Jeff Reed. Yeah he was having a bad year, but he wasn't the reason the Steelers got their asses kicked by New England that night. And this move with Everest, it doesn't make sense. Yeah kickoff coverage might not have been great, but most of those guys won't even be on the team one week from now. Those guys even blocked a punt against Indianapolis.

Tomlin is still better than probably 27 or 28 of the current head coaches. Would you guys agree that benching Wallace is probably a bad idea?

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Ryan Clark, when told on twitter that Everest had been fired said: Coach who? From where?

It wasn't until he was informed that Everest was the Steelers Special Teams coach that he said: Why? What the hell?

http://twitter.com/RealRClark25

Tweets we're made about two hours ago.

teegre
08-23-2012, 06:12 PM
One word: Sandusky.

Really though, jokes aside (ie I don't want to indict anyone), the 2009 season was RUINED by special teams. There was like five or seven (or nineteen) huge returns against the Steelers, that led to five straight losses (and several other agmes that should not have been close). I felt deja vu while watching those pre-season games.. and I would assume that Tomlin did, as well.

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 06:22 PM
One word: Sandusky.

Really though, jokes aside (ie I don't want to indict anyone), the 2009 season was RUINED by special teams. There was like five or seven (or nineteen) huge returns against the Steelers, that led to five straight losses (and several other agmes that should not have been close). I felt deja vu while watching those pre-season games.. and I would assume that Tomlin did, as well.

Pretty sure Everest was hired in replacement of the '09 special teams coach.

Steelersfan87
08-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Officially those players aren't listed as out, but sources close to the team don't expect them to suit up week 1. Besides, how many times have you heard a football player recovering from some sort of ailment say something along the lines of "I plan on playing" and then don't play? Wishful thinking wants us to believe them, but when you consider their age and the way they play (especially Harrison) don't hold your breath. And Mendenhall tore his ACL almost 8 months ago, he's not playing.

Sources speak from both sides of their mouths. I expect that both Harrison and Hampton will be on the 53 man roster week 1, and this is not wishful thinking. Hampton will not start, and Harrison might be substituted. But given Harrison's history of pain tolerance, I see no reason to bet against him.

Tomlin has made some knee-jerk reactions in regards to coach's challenges - throwing the flag when he shouldn't have. Another example was cutting Jeff Reed. Yeah he was having a bad year, but he wasn't the reason the Steelers got their asses kicked by New England that night. And this move with Everest, it doesn't make sense. Yeah kickoff coverage might not have been great, but most of those guys won't even be on the team one week from now. Those guys even blocked a punt against Indianapolis.

The firing of Jeff Reed was a culmination of a series of events, including arrests, public urination, towel dispenser abuse, lack of effort, and chastising of fans. That move was far from reactionary. As far as challenges go, is his usage of the flag really atypical at all in comparison to other coaches? I highly doubt it. I'm sure his challenge record is on par with the rest of the league. Regarding the firing of Everest, we don't have the details. How can you see that it's reactionary when you don't know why it was done? Besides, it's not like the Steelers didn't have a field goal blocked against them last year either.

Tomlin is still better than probably 27 or 28 of the current head coaches. Would you guys agree that benching Wallace is probably a bad idea?

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that Tomlin intends to bench Wallace. But when he has benched players, they have responded well (Mendenhall and Gilbert are premium examples off the top of my head).

stiller39
08-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Go Amos, Go.... Should have been named the ST coach before Everest IMO! Tomlin rights the ship with a quick decisive move and has the answer in waiting... nice job coach..

Riddle_Of_Steel
08-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Are you guys going to crucify GoFor7 next?

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Hahaha. I'm used to it. They think I hate Cowher.

Sources speak from both sides of their mouths. I expect that both Harrison and Hampton will be on the 53 man roster week 1, and this is not wishful thinking. Hampton will not start, and Harrison might be substituted. But given Harrison's history of pain tolerance, I see no reason to bet against him.

I never said I don't think they'll be on the 53 man roster, I just have doubts they'll be able to suit up.

There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that Tomlin intends to bench Wallace. But when he has benched players, they have responded well (Mendenhall and Gilbert are premium examples off the top of my head)

Benching Gilbert may have worked, but wern't they playing St. Louis? I remember when he benched Mendenhall and it did work as far as Mendenhall's attitude. However, Willie Parker was injured and depth at RB wasn't good and the Steelers ended up losing that game.

The situation with Wallace differs. First, like it or not (and I don't), he's allowed to hold out since he doesn't have a contract. That's the CBA. Second, with question marks on the defense about who may or may not play, I don't think it's a good idea to weaken the offense by benching one of it's best players. The Steelers might need to score some points to win that game against Peyton Manning. That's a lot easier with Wallace stretching the field.

Vis
08-23-2012, 07:10 PM
The situation with Wallace differs. First, like it or not (and I don't), he's allowed to hold out since he doesn't have a contract. That's the CBA. Second, with question marks on the defense about who may or may not play, I don't think it's a good idea to weaken the offense by benching one of it's best players. The Steelers might need to score some points to win that game against Peyton Manning. That's a lot easier with Wallace stretching the field.

Just explain why you would believe Tomlin would bench Wallace in retaliation instead of playing him as soon as he is up to speed. You're simply insulting the coach and I would like to know your reason.

teegre
08-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Pretty sure Everest was hired in replacement of the '09 special teams coach.

True... but Tomlin was the coach in 2009.

As in Tomlin is thinking: "WTF!?! Ugh. Here we go again. Wait... no we aren't. I'm firing this dude BEFORE he ruins the season."

Make sense?

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Just explain why you would believe Tomlin would bench Wallace in retaliation instead of playing him as soon as he is up to speed. You're simply insulting the coach and I would like to know your reason.

I'm insulting him? Man you need to chill a little bit.

My fear, as I explained before, is that Tomlin may want to try and make some sort of point with Wallace about missing training camp. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Vis
08-23-2012, 07:26 PM

My fear, as I explained before, is that Tomlin may want to try and make some sort of point with Wallace about missing training camp. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Sorry, I misjudged your panties in his asscrack statement as less than complimentary to Tomlin.

GoFor7
08-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Sorry, I misjudged your panties in his asscrack statement as less than complimentary to Tomlin.

He could always bench me then :chuckle:

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 07:31 PM

Based on what Mike Wallace has said publicly, I don't see any indications that Wallace will be punished, or benched, for any reason other than not being fully up to speed or prepared to play. I do see what you're worried about though, although I wouldn't worry to much about it. Coach will make the right decision. HAVE FAITH BRETHREN. :chuckle:

Bayz101
08-23-2012, 07:35 PM

:jerkit:

BowCatShot
08-23-2012, 10:05 PM
I've gotta admit, our special teams play has resembled a Chinese Fire Drill for the longest time. Kudos to Mike Tomlin.

SteelCity4Life
08-23-2012, 10:25 PM
I agree, relax people. It was a good decision by Tomlin. Special Teams have been lack luster that past couple games.

Does the blocked field goal really mean anything? Think about it!...

...We also got a LUCKY interception by a Colts WR who bobbled the ball right into the direction of a defender.

Obviously those are different players, but it still has the same effect. Some times we just get lucky. Hell, a lot of teams have put crucial mistakes against us that resulted in penalties and a shorter playing field. Face it, we are spoiled with luck at certain times.

I agree on the Jeff Reed thing. the guy was a class D (or A, rather?) **** head who took his job for granted and continued to make STUPID, IRRATIONAL decisions off the field. Plus, he missed crucial field goals that could have gave us 6-9 extra points. I watched all the 09' games. TERRIBLE ST and Reed added to an embarrassment of a team that year and the 5 game streak was horrific.

Our team wants to be a PROFESSIONAL one. Tomlin is the leader of classy coaches. I would think he'd want players that reflect the kind of person he is. Kinda makes sense.

But if he has another guy lined up, I'm sure he can do the job.

TRH
08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
So...where's he going now to coach? Indianapolis? Or will it be Arizona??

Fire Haley
08-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Hardass Mike is done pissing around....he's drawing lines in the sand....I love it

“I didn’t like our return game,” said Tomlin, “I thought our return game was below the line.”

tony hipchest
08-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Our special teams unit was getting schooled just like it was a few years back, as far as kick-return coverage..

false-

Gerry Dulac‏@gerrydulac
Decision to fire Al Everest had nothing to do with performance. Steelers didn't allow return longer than 45 yards in 2 years under him.

Gerry Dulac‏@gerrydulac
Steelers tied NFL record with 4 kick return TDs allowed in 2009. Since Everest came in 2010, they haven't allowed any.

exactly since when has our coverage units began getting schooled? i hope people arent refering to the past 2 preseason games when slapdicks on the current roster (ranked #54-90 who will never make a regular season roster), are out there running around.

in particular, i noticed will johnson make a nice play in punt coverage. he is an UD rookie FA who didnt even play footbal last season and is currently a longshot to make the team (especially w/o ST opportunities).

our special teams seemed fine just last season when they were comprised of the top 45 players to receive a hat on sundays.

tony hipchest
08-24-2012, 12:53 AM
The situation with Wallace differs. First, like it or not (and I don't), he's allowed to hold out since he doesn't have a contract. That's the CBA. Second, with question marks on the defense about who may or may not play, I don't think it's a good idea to weaken the offense by benching one of it's best players. The Steelers might need to score some points to win that game against Peyton Manning. That's a lot easier with Wallace stretching the field.the situation is very similar to that of desean jackson and the philly eagles last year. jackson admitted to hot dogging the entire season. he delivered a whopping 900 yds and 4 tds for the year. he was benched week 10 for missing mandatory meeting.

the big difference is he was acting like a little bitch for only making 9 million.

wallace is holding out because he is only making 2.7 mil.

jackson half assed it for an entire year and STILL "earned" his $50,000,000 contract this season. wallace knows he can probably do the same.

last year wallace said he was gonna bust his ass, set the league on fire and be the 1st receiver to surpass 2000 yds in a season and break jerry rice's 1800+ single season record. jerry never missed camp or held out when he was turning in record performances.

which route do you think wallace is gonna take this year?

lloydwoodson
08-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Special teams has played much better in coverage the last couple years. Everest did a good job. I am disappointed in this. The return game is only as good as the returner. Return game was fine with Santonio Holmes in.

Steelersfan87
08-24-2012, 01:14 AM
While I agree that Everest's special teams have been fine, Dulac (and others) are incorrect. The Steelers gave up a 97 yard touchdown against the Jets in week 15 of 2010. I'm not sure how they missed that.

Hawaii 5-0
08-24-2012, 01:36 AM
While I agree that Everest's special teams have been fine, Dulac (and others) are incorrect. The Steelers gave up a 97 yard touchdown against the Jets in week 15 of 2010. I'm not sure how they missed that.

you are correct.

Brad Smith ran the opening kickoff back 97 yards to give the Jets a quick 7-0 lead in a game they went on to win 22-17.

tony hipchest
08-24-2012, 01:36 AM
While I agree that Everest's special teams have been fine, Dulac (and others) are incorrect. The Steelers gave up a 97 yard touchdown against the Jets in week 15 of 2010. I'm not sure how they missed that.brad smith?

like me, they are probably going offa nothing but memory.

jason taylor scored a late safety in what was a game that we shoulda never lost and just about every steelerfan whishes they could erase from memory (i beleive it cost us the #1 seed in the playoffs).

being that we kicked the jets ass a month later in the AFC game to go to the superbowl, it just made that week 15 game that much easier to actually erase from memory (and all the bad things that cost us that loss).

ricardisimo
08-24-2012, 04:31 AM
One of two things, from my perspective:

Either Antonio Brown's performance disguised some severe deficiencies on special teams that are now becoming apparent, or...
Everest said something about Tomlin's mama. Or lacking that, he questioned Tomlin on pulling Brown from duty.

I would lean towards the first option.

Millers the sh!t
08-24-2012, 07:55 AM
brad smith?

like me, they are probably going offa nothing but memory.

jason taylor scored a late safety in what was a game that we shoulda never lost and just about every steelerfan whishes they could erase from memory (i beleive it cost us the #1 seed in the playoffs).

being that we kicked the jets ass a month later in the AFC game to go to the superbowl, it just made that week 15 game that much easier to actually erase from memory (and all the bad things that cost us that loss).

I was at that game. Steelers played unpassionately. Almost like they lost on purpose so the jets would get new England in the playoffs, also they seemed like they were just playing to see the jets gameplan.... Braylon stone hands Edwards made some some pretty decent catches, also I think the jets running game killed us.

teegre
08-24-2012, 08:00 AM
I was at that game. Steelers played unpassionately. Almost like they lost on purpose so the jets would get new England in the playoffs, also they seemed like they were just playing to see the jets gameplan.... Braylon stone hands Edwards made some some pretty decent catches, also I think the jets running game killed us.

Matt Spaeth dropped not one, but two chances for a TD in the final few seconds.

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Matt Spaeth dropped not one, but two chances for a TD in the final few seconds.

That was one of Arians greatest performances - B.A. targeted Spaeth as the go to receiver throughout the game and made a typically brilliant call on the play that resulted in the safety

"Offense, defense, special teams, coaches -- we all helped contribute to this loss."

Coaches? Ward explained no further. But Rashard Mendenhall was running for good chunks against the Jets defense -- 17 times for 100 yards -- yet he was not in the game when the Steelers were at their 3 late and trailing by three points.

On first down, in the shotgun formation, :banging:Roethlisberger handed off to Moore deep, tackle Jonathan Scott missed his block and Taylor made the Steelers pay with a tackle in the end zone for a safety.

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/10354/1112163-66.stm

steelfury02
08-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Regarding the Jets game, we just didn't show up full force IMHO. No way they purposefully gave the game away. How many times has this team shown up for huge games, only to piss around and play down to the competition? The Jets were nowhere near as good as the Steelers. Wasn't the big game in Bmore right around the corner? (The broken nose game?) the following week? Could be wrong - I just thought they weren't focused as they could have be, and pretty emotionless.

The ST coach firing sounds like a combination of things. Nevermind - they pulled off 4 wins against Oakland, Beefallo, Bmore, and Cincy - maybe just "due"

GoFor7
08-24-2012, 10:05 AM
So Everest was fired for one bad game in the 2010 season?

Bayz101
08-24-2012, 10:13 AM
So Everest was fired for one bad game in the 2010 season?

No. In fact, Gerry Dulac has hinted multiple times on twitter that it has NOTHING to do with on-field performance.

GoFor7
08-24-2012, 10:23 AM
No. In fact, Gerry Dulac has hinted multiple times on twitter that it has NOTHING to do with on-field performance.

I figured. But a few posts above mine everyone was making a big deal about the kickoff return in the 2010 Jets game.

One thing that I think people are failing to see right now is that most of the players on special teams right now won't be on the team in a week. Better players will be on the units when the regular season starts.

I'm curious to know, if it wasn't about on-field performance, then what happened?

Fire Haley
08-24-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm still betting on live boy or dead hooker.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-24-2012, 11:14 AM
That was one of Arians greatest performances - B.A. targeted Spaeth as the go to receiver throughout the game and made a typically brilliant call on the play that resulted in the safety

"Offense, defense, special teams, coaches -- we all helped contribute to this loss."

Coaches? Ward explained no further. But Rashard Mendenhall was running for good chunks against the Jets defense -- 17 times for 100 yards -- yet he was not in the game when the Steelers were at their 3 late and trailing by three points.

On first down, in the shotgun formation, :banging:Roethlisberger handed off to Moore deep, tackle Jonathan Scott missed his block and Taylor made the Steelers pay with a tackle in the end zone for a safety.

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/10354/1112163-66.stm

Yup, I remember that game. I rewatched it and I think that was the 4th time the Steelers ran the same play. Jason Taylor knew it too, because he shaded inside and shot the gap, which he didnt do on the previous plays.

Could chalk that one up to "going to the well too often" or "taking a risk in the shadow of your own goal post".

Vis
08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Still waiting for the inside scoop. Was it Everest's morning breath?

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Still waiting for the inside scoop. Was it Everest's morning breath?

I have my money on it involving a problem below the waist - in the post-Sandusky environment conduct such as getting your online porn at work probebly isn't as forgiven as in days gone by

Vis
08-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Good new for him, he wasn't out of a job for long:

http://blog.tupolska.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Monopoly.jpg

tony hipchest
08-24-2012, 01:14 PM

nobody else on twitter caught and corrected the oversight so i thought i'd help dulac out-

Steelersfever‏@Steelers_Fever
@gerrydulac "haven't allowed any". week 15 vs. Jets, Brad Smith 97 yd opening KO return for TD (courtesey of steelersfever research team).

:applaudit:

Gerry Dulac‏@gerrydulac
@Steelers_Fever you're right. Thx.

tony hipchest
08-24-2012, 01:15 PM
i think ricardisimo nailed it-

Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot

Steelers Depot: Al Everest Says He Was Fired From Steelers For Professional Differences http://bit.ly/QagVwE #steelers #nfl

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Steelers Depot: Al Everest Says He Was Fired From Steelers For Professional Differences http://bit.ly/QagVwE #steelers #nfl

"Professional differences" over watching porn at work?

Link to video of Everest's exit interview with Kevin Colbert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvNS7JfcMM

Fire Arians
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
wonder when arizona or indy is gonna hire him

Vis
08-24-2012, 01:42 PM

Paul Rathke ‏@Paul_Rathke (https://twitter.com/Paul_Rathke) @EdBouchette (https://twitter.com/EdBouchette) Dulac is wrong about returns for a touchdown. Opening kickoff of the 12/19/2010 game against the Jets. 97 yards for the score

Vis
08-24-2012, 01:53 PM
TribLIVE Radio ‏@TribLive_Radio

Coming up at 3:20pm- @cfinder joins us to talk Steelers firing Special Teams Coach, listen here- http://trib.me/tribradio

GoFor7
08-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Here's what Steelers Depot has to say:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/al-everest-says-he-was-fired-from-steelers-for-professional-differences/

Edman
08-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah he was having a bad year, but he wasn't the reason the Steelers got their asses kicked by New England that night.

No, but Reed was the reason why the Steelers lost a very winnable game against Baltimore at home earlier that year with two bad misses. The guy was done.

Yeah kickoff coverage might not have been great, but most of those guys won't even be on the team one week from now. Those guys even blocked a punt against Indianapolis.

And the kick that won the game was blocked and just got over the crossbar.

We went into 2009 thinking our sub-average Special Teams was acceptable, and we all saw what happened. Our Special Teams weren't looking too good this preseason. Tomlin saw what happened before and just wasn't taking any chances this time. If our Special Teams are going to be problematic under Everest this year, they were going to rectify it as soon as possible before it's too late.

GoFor7
08-24-2012, 03:25 PM
No, but Reed was the reason why the Steelers lost a very winnable game against Baltimore at home earlier that year with two bad misses. The guy was done.

No, they lost that game because Tomlin coached scared when the offense was deep in it's own territory after the defense made a goal-line stand.

And the kick that won the game was blocked and just got over the crossbar.

We went into 2009 thinking our sub-average Special Teams was acceptable, and we all saw what happened. Our Special Teams weren't looking too good this preseason. Tomlin saw what happened before and just wasn't taking any chances this time. If our Special Teams are going to be problematic under Everest this year, they were going to rectify it as soon as possible before it's too late.

And a lot of those guys who were out there during the semi-blocked field goal will not be on the team one week from now.

Hawaii 5-0
08-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Al Everest Firing Brings Up Past Preseason Coordinator Changes

by Neal Coolong on Aug 24, 2012

One doesn't need to look very far outside Pittsburgh to see previous mid-preseason coordinator changes.

As Tribune-Review reporter Alan Robinson points out, Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley fired his offensive coordinator, Chan Gailey, in his first season as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. Haley, though, is an offensive-minded coach and was coming off a successful offensive coordinator stint in Arizona in 2008. Clearly, philosophical differences could - and probably did - exist. Haley gave Gailey three preseason games, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin gave Everest two games.

And Tomlin replaced Everest in-house, promoting Amos Jones from the assistant position. Curiously, Robinson wrote "Everest was abruptly fired as special teams coordinator following practice Thursday and replaced by his assistant, Amos Jones, who already was doing much of the on-field coaching."

Is that to suggest Everest was pulling a Peter Gibbons in Office Space? Were the Bobs not on site to protect Everest from Tomlin's wrath?

The timing is interesting, but where there's smoke, there's fire. The Steelers' punt returns so far in preseason haven't been even remotely impressive. As a group - Marquis Maze and Chris Rainey - are averaging four yards a return.

While that isn't going to make many coaches happy, there have been two preseason games, and both of the returners they've used are rookies. Everest's coverage and return teams have been around average - 12th in kick coverage, 16th in punt coverage, no returns longer than 45 yards. In other words, his teams have shown positive results during the regular season, and after two years of that, it seems confusing Everest would be on his way out, unless there was a legitimate beef between Everest and at least one other member of the coaching staff.

Maybe it had something to do with who was returning kicks. Maybe we'll see different players back there Saturday against Buffalo.

Either way, let's hope a shake-up produces better results in at least currently substandard punt return game. They'll have to be prepared, because clearly Tomlin doesn't feel preseason results don't matter.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/24/3265105/steelers-special-teams-al-everest-fired-amos-jones-hired

ricardisimo
08-24-2012, 07:50 PM
If it was performance-related, then it's awesome. This is so much better than two years of enduring Bob Shitthebedsky's horrendous coaching and having to hear from the old crew here how it was the players' inability to execute that was the real problem.

Of course, we endured five years of mediocrity from Arians, with all the same disclaimers from the apologists here. I guess this is the year we find out which approach works: holding the coaches accountable, or excusing them of all blame.

BowCatShot
08-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Well now that DeCastro got hurt, I'm hoping that this firing wasn't something that Tomlin did out of a vindictive spirit. Hope this isn't "what goes around comes around" in action.