PDA

View Full Version : 19 people shot Thursday afternoon, Friday morning

Fire Haley
08-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Chicago -

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5036fd61/turbine/chi-120823-essex-shooting-b-photograph/600

Nineteen people were shot in attacks across the South and West sides between about 5:20 p.m. Thursday and 1:30 a.m. Friday - including 13 people during a single 30-minute period - according to the Chicago Police Department.

The shootings peaked between about 9:15 and 9:45 p.m. Thursday when 13 people were shot, including eight in a single incident at 79th Street and Essex Avenue about 9:30 p.m.

The eight people shot at 79th Street and Essex Avenue were wounded in a drive-by about 9:15 p.m., police said. The ages of the people shot ranged from 14 to 28. Seven were male.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-shootings-chicago-violence-august-23-august-24-violence-gunfire-20120823,0,49779.story

------------------------

Gangbangers laugh at gun laws

just poor black victims... nothing to see here

Where's the National Headlines now Vis?

steelax04
08-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Unfortunately, this is the stuff that would be completely undeterred by gun laws... unless we went to a total militarian state, which no one wants.

This should be getting headlines, but it's not sensational enough to strike fear into us white folks' hearts since it's inner city and not at a movie theater, or school, or shopping center.

Vis
08-24-2012, 08:37 AM
I missed the part of the article where each of these shooting were done by "gang bangers"

Vis
08-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Unfortunately, this is the stuff that would be completely undeterred by gun laws... unless we went to a total militarian state, which no one wants.

This should be getting headlines, but it's not sensational enough to strike fear into us white folks' hearts since it's inner city and not at a movie theater, or school, or shopping center.

Or the Empire State Building:

Several shot at Empire State Building, authorities say

By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 9:30 AM EDT, Fri August 24, 2012

New York (CNN) -- As many as five people were shot Friday in front of the Empire State Building in New York, a spokesman for the New York Fire Department said.
Authorities converged on the building around 9 a.m. after reports of gunfire.
Additional details were not immediately available.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/24/justice/new-york-empire-state/index.html

Fire Haley
08-24-2012, 08:44 AM
I missed the part of the article where each of these shooting were done by "gang bangers"

right

they were just drive-by church-goers from the local Roman Catholic church group after their fish fry Fri night got out of hand

Vis
08-24-2012, 08:46 AM
just poor black victims... nothing to see here

Where's the National Headlines now Vis?

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/08/24/us/ap-us-chicago-shootings.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share

Katrina vandenHeuvel ‏@KatrinaNation (https://twitter.com/KatrinaNation) This is a national emergency. 13 Shot in 30 Minutes in Rising Chicago Violence http://nyti.ms/SvZdES (http://t.co/KGWFqai1)

(https://twitter.com/KatrinaNation/status/238994726563487744)

(https://twitter.com/KatrinaNation/status/238994726563487744)

Vis
08-24-2012, 08:58 AM
right

they were just drive-by church-goers from the local Roman Catholic church group after their fish fry Fri night got out of hand

So you don't think it could be terrorism or one crazed gunman or a plot by the Dems to get your guns?

Fire Haley
08-24-2012, 09:05 AM
what guns?

I lost them in a tragic canoe accident in the swamp years ago

Vis
08-24-2012, 09:10 AM
At least 10 people were shot Friday in front of the Empire State Building, according to the New York Office of Emergency Management.

The gunman was shot and killed by police, the New York Police Department reported.

Authorities converged on the building around 9 a.m. after reports of gunfire.

Police have closed several streets around 5th Avenue and 34th Street in Manhattan.

New York resident Max Kaplan, 22, said he heard at least nine gunshots. He said several ambulances have arrived at the scene.

"We're all very shaken up at the office," he said.

The Empire State Building is one of the most famous skyscrapers in the world, and one of New York City's best-known tourist attractions.

Each year, about 4 million people visit the building's two observation decks. At more than 1,453 feet tall, the landmark building reaches more than a quarter-mile into the sky.

Vis
08-24-2012, 09:10 AM
what guns?

I lost them in a tragic canoe accident in the swamp years ago

I still have mine. I just don't think I need to be able to wear them into a bar or a Courthouse.

Fire Haley
08-24-2012, 09:12 AM
The gunman was shot and killed by police, the New York Police Department reported..

I thought NYC was a gun-free zone?

Vis
08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I thought NYC was a gun-free zone?

You shouldn't think that

Vis
08-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Update

NYScanner’s Twitter is reporting the gunman was recently fired from his job.
Update

WNBC: Empire State Building shooting was “a workplace dispute that spilled out onto the street”
Update

Witnesses say the two coworkers fought on the sidewalk before one pulled out a gun and opened fire, killing a female bystander and shooting several others.
Update

This post has been revised with an updated casualty count. Reports now say 3 people have died.

Fire Haley
08-24-2012, 10:59 AM
I find this hard to believe - there are no guns in NYC - Mayor Bloomberg has declared it a "Gun Free zone"

Bloomberg: 'Cops may have shot innocent bystanders in an attempt to kill the shooter...'

Construction worker Chris Ogden was working on a scaffold above the building’s 33rd St. entrance when he watched in disbelief as the gunman — in a suit and carrying a briefcase — opened fire.

“He shot the guy in the head,” said Ogden, 23. “The guy went down. He took a second shot when he was down.”

The well-dressed shooter then “walked down the block, like nothing was happening, real casual,” Ogden said. “We were screaming from the top, ‘It’s the guy in the grey suit!’”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/person-killed-shooting-empire-state-building-morning-rush-article-1.1143522

MACH1
08-24-2012, 12:29 PM
I find this hard to believe - there are no guns in NYC - Mayor Bloomberg has declared it a "Gun Free zone"

Bloomberg: 'Cops may have shot innocent bystanders in an attempt to kill the shooter...'

Construction worker Chris Ogden was working on a scaffold above the building’s 33rd St. entrance when he watched in disbelief as the gunman — in a suit and carrying a briefcase — opened fire.

“He shot the guy in the head,” said Ogden, 23. “The guy went down. He took a second shot when he was down.”

The well-dressed shooter then “walked down the block, like nothing was happening, real casual,” Ogden said. “We were screaming from the top, ‘It’s the guy in the grey suit!’”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/person-killed-shooting-empire-state-building-morning-rush-article-1.1143522

yep....better ban all guns. Can't have people being "accidentally" shot by the very people that are protecting them.

http://www.costumesofnashua.com/CNWebSite105/Active905/Pages/CostumeRental/MilitaryUniform/Pics%20Military/MilitaA13022.jpg

And we all know how the looney's and thugs will abide by the law.

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Nation Celebrates Full Week Without Deadly Mass Shooting

UPDATE: Never Mind

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation-celebrates-full-week-without-deadly-mass-sh,29293/?ref=auto

Fire Haley
08-27-2012, 07:34 AM
the real reason you should always run from cops

All Empire State shooting victims were wounded by officers

New York (CNN) -- All nine people injured in Friday's shooting in front of the Empire State Building were wounded by police gunfire, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told reporters Saturday.

The officers unloaded a total of 16 rounds at a disgruntled former apparel designer, killing him after he shot and killed a co-worker and engaged in a gunbattle with police, authorities have said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/25/justice/new-york-empire-state-shooting/index.html

Vis
08-27-2012, 11:02 AM
the real reason you should always run from cops

All Empire State shooting victims were wounded by officers

New York (CNN) -- All nine people injured in Friday's shooting in front of the Empire State Building were wounded by police gunfire, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told reporters Saturday.

The officers unloaded a total of 16 rounds at a disgruntled former apparel designer, killing him after he shot and killed a co-worker and engaged in a gunbattle with police, authorities have said.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/25/justice/new-york-empire-state-shooting/index.html

These people were trained. The real reason you don't want everyone packing and taking a shot at the bad guy is the number misses that hit innocent people.

MACH1
08-27-2012, 01:52 PM
So it's okay to shoot up innocent people as long as you have training?

Vis
08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
So it's okay to shoot up innocent people as long as you have training?

No, it's telling how even people with training, when faced with the situation, can't hit the target, or only the target.

ricardisimo
08-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Training or no training, the real reason to ban guns is that they are specifically designed to kill people. This is why you can't own F-18s or nuclear missiles. Killing should be very difficult, not easy... not for you or I, and certainly not for the cops.

Fire Haley
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Chicago hip-hop war of words turns violent

Chicago’s hip-hop community is in a war of words that has escalated into violence, with the shooting death of a teenage rapper.

Tuesday was another night, another homicide in a year in which hundreds of Chicagoans have been gunned down; the murder rate for the year’s first half is up an alarming 38 percent over last year. This time the victim was Joseph Coleman (18-year-old rapper Lil Jojo). The bicycle-riding teen was slain by a drive-by shooter in his South Side Englewood neighborhood

His death starkly punctuated a gang-related war of words and music between Jojo and rapper Lil Reese, associated with the biggest new star in Chicago hip-hop, Chief Keef. Jojo recently released a song on-line, “3hunna K” that mocked Reese, Keef and their “300 squad,” which is associated with a street gang.

Keef took to his Twitter account Wednesday to respond to Jojo’s death: “It’s sad cus … Jojo wanted to be just like us #LMAO”. Chicago police are reportedly investigating a possible connection between the comments and Jojo’s death.

On Wednesday, Keef went after another Chicago hip-hop artist, Lupe Fiasco, on Twitter. He called Fiasco a “hoe” among other epithets and vowed that when “I see him (I’ll) smack him.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/turnitup/chi-chicago-hiphop-war-of-words-rapper-killed-20120905,0,539413.column

--------------------

Maybe they need more midnight basketball leagues.

ARKIESTEEL
09-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Training or no training, the real reason to ban guns is that they are specifically designed to kill people. This is why you can't own F-18s or nuclear missiles. Killing should be very difficult, not easy... not for you or I, and certainly not for the cops.

it's funny because Chicago is one of the hardest places to own a firearm. so with that known gun control has been proven once again to not work

ricardisimo
09-07-2012, 01:47 AM
it's funny because Chicago is one of the hardest places to own a firearm. so with that known gun control has been proven once again to not work
On what planet is this true? Firstly, it's not hard to own a gun anywhere in the United States. That said, although there is a "complete" ban on fully automated weapons in the state of Illinois, there is no "assault weapons law" [which sounds oxymoronic, but whatever] and there are almost no other restrictions.

The city of Chicago requires residents to complete a firearm safety course, receive a background check including fingerprinting, and then pay a $100 permit fee which is renewed every three years. Registration of any handgun will assume an additional one time fee of $15.00.

That's it. That's difficult? For a lethal weapon? For the right to kill another human being? Give me a break.

SteelCityMom
09-07-2012, 07:27 AM
On what planet is this true? Firstly, it's not hard to own a gun anywhere in the United States. That said, although there is a "complete" ban on fully automated weapons in the state of Illinois, there is no "assault weapons law" [which sounds oxymoronic, but whatever] and there are almost no other restrictions.

That's it. That's difficult? For a lethal weapon? For the right to kill another human being? Give me a break.

It's true on our planet. The reason it's not hard to "own" a gun anywhere in the US is because of the black market, ease of homemade weapons. That's how criminals get guns.

Here's the real laws in Illinois:"Illinois does not issue licenses for the concealed carry of firearms, nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. Illinois is the only state that does not allow concealed carry in some form. Open carry is also prohibited in most areas. When a firearm is being transported, it must be unloaded and enclosed in a case."

"To legally possess firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card, issued by the state police. Non-residents who may legally possess firearms in their home state are exempt from this requirement. There is a waiting period to take possession after purchasing a firearm — 72 hours for a handgun, or 24 hours for a rifle or shotgun. Private sales are allowed, and are subject to these same requirements. Possession of automatic firearms, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles is prohibited.
Illinois does not have state preemption for gun laws, and some local governments have enacted ordinances that are more restrictive than those of the state."

There is no oxymoron in the ban of fully automatic weapons but allowance of assault weapons. Assault weapons is a political term (not a definition) used to describe the different semi-automatic weapons that were banned by the Federal Assault Weapons Ban.

There are a couple other things you forgot to mention about Chicago:"In Chicago, gun owners are required to have a Chicago firearm owner's permit, which costs $100 and must be renewed every three years. Before getting the permit, the resident must complete a training course that includes at least four hours of classroom training and one hour of range time. Each gun must be registered with the city, and the registration must be renewed every year, at a cost of $15 per gun. Gun possession is permitted only inside a dwelling, not in a garage or on the outside grounds of the property. Only one gun at a time may be kept in a usable state."

"Highland Park bars handgun possession unless the resident has obtained a permit from the Highland Park Police. The permit must be renewed every year, and the resident must attend a gun safety and training session, given by the police, every three years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois#Local_restrictions_on_the_pos session_of_handguns

Lastly, owning a gun legally, despite popular belief, DOES NOT give you the right to kill another human. It gives you the ability to be able to defend yourself. The criminals who kill people, most often (not always but usually) are people who do not purchase and keep guns legally.

MACH1
09-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Really? And all this time I was hunting deer with a deer rifle or out duck, goose hunting with a shotgun I should have been out hunting people. :doh:

Vincent
09-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Really? And all this time I was hunting deer with a deer rifle or out duck, goose hunting with a shotgun I should have been out hunting people. :doh:

If you ever run into a flock, its great to have one of these...

M29ewKBjCf8

MACH1
09-07-2012, 03:19 PM
:laughing: I figured I'd use my 10ga.

ricardisimo
09-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Mom, none of those things are difficult. Taking a few tests to prove you're not (yet) a violent felon felon with a record is cake, and paying $100 every three years maybe excludes most homeless people, which might be a shame if you're a communist, I guess.

And guns are not defensive weapons anymore than ICBMs are. MAD doesn't work on a personal level any better than between superpowers. When guns can stop a bullet in mid-air I'll reconsider.

I think I did see a spaghetti western once where someone shot a bullet out of harm's way.

SteelCityMom
09-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Mom, none of those things are difficult. Taking a few tests to prove you're not (yet) a violent felon felon with a record is cake, and paying $100 every three years maybe excludes most homeless people, which might be a shame if you're a communist, I guess.

And guns are not defensive weapons anymore than ICBMs are. MAD doesn't work on a personal level any better than between superpowers. When guns can stop a bullet in mid-air I'll reconsider.

I think I did see a spaghetti western once where someone shot a bullet out of harm's way.

They actually are difficult though, to obtain legally in Illinois. Why do you think legal gun owners make such a fuss there? And in D.C.? They are literally a couple of the hardest places to own a handgun, let alone get a carry permit. Maybe you missed the part where you have to be licensed by the state police first, and then in most cases your county police. Next, what they don't tell you on wikipedia, is that when they say you have to take the classes, you can only take them at certain licensed facilities. Guess what? There sometimes aren't any within city limits, you can literally have to drive for an hour or two, depending on where you live. Why does that matter? Because in Chicago and D.C, before getting a permit to own, let alone carry a firearm, you have to be able to transport a firearm to one of those facilities to take a test...you can only do that if you have a permit. See the problem here? Also, in some areas, you have to be someone who is legally permitted to own a firearm to take the classes. Quite the conundrum, right? Sounds retarded, even for someone who is against guns. But that's why it's so hard to own guns in those areas. They put those silly little loopholes in there.

It is possible, I honestly can't remember the way this lady explained it...but it involved quite a bit of paperwork and extra money and time. She said most people just give up within the first year of trying. You'd think they'd be the safest places on earth though, with how hard it is to legally obtain a gun.

Vincent
09-09-2012, 08:47 AM
We watched Safe (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1656190/) last night. Lost track of the body count. We really need to get the guns off the streets. It isn't even safe to go into a restaurant.

Good family film - 2 thumbs up.

MACH1
09-09-2012, 11:31 AM
They actually are difficult though, to obtain legally in Illinois. Why do you think legal gun owners make such a fuss there? And in D.C.? They are literally a couple of the hardest places to own a handgun, let alone get a carry permit. Maybe you missed the part where you have to be licensed by the state police first, and then in most cases your county police. Next, what they don't tell you on wikipedia, is that when they say you have to take the classes, you can only take them at certain licensed facilities. Guess what? There sometimes aren't any within city limits, you can literally have to drive for an hour or two, depending on where you live. Why does that matter? Because in Chicago and D.C, before getting a permit to own, let alone carry a firearm, you have to be able to transport a firearm to one of those facilities to take a test...you can only do that if you have a permit. See the problem here? Also, in some areas, you have to be someone who is legally permitted to own a firearm to take the classes. Quite the conundrum, right? Sounds retarded, even for someone who is against guns. But that's why it's so hard to own guns in those areas. They put those silly little loopholes in there.

It is possible, I honestly can't remember the way this lady explained it...but it involved quite a bit of paperwork and extra money and time. She said most people just give up within the first year of trying. You'd think they'd be the safest places on earth though, with how hard it is to legally obtain a gun.

It is safe, for the criminals.

ricardisimo
09-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Look, you're not allowed to bring up "safe". People with guns are statistically far less safe than people without. It's inconvenient for the pro-gun argument, but you're going to have to find other reasons to own a gun. Because it's fun. Because it gives you an erection. Because the UN is going to invade us militarily. Because you're a collector. Whatever. Those are all valid in their own weird ways, but the safety argument just doesn't hold any water at all.

Taking tests, paying triple-digit fees, combating loopholes... I'm sorry but these are not insurmountable obstacles to owning a gun. Are you people of the impression that it should be comparable to obtaining a driver's license? It's a lethal, offensive weapon, not defensive. It makes the owner (and everyone around the owner) less safe, not more. Unlike a car, it has no other function except to kill. And there is the whole point about what it does to civil society, to political debate, etc.

Why should anyone be able to obtain one at all, and why more easily?

SteelCityMom
09-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Look, you're not allowed to bring up "safe". People with guns are statistically far less safe than people without. It's inconvenient for the pro-gun argument, but you're going to have to find other reasons to own a gun. Because it's fun. Because it gives you an erection. Because the UN is going to invade us militarily. Because you're a collector. Whatever. Those are all valid in their own weird ways, but the safety argument just doesn't hold any water at all.

Taking tests, paying triple-digit fees, combating loopholes... I'm sorry but these are not insurmountable obstacles to owning a gun. Are you people of the impression that it should be comparable to obtaining a driver's license? It's a lethal, offensive weapon, not defensive. It makes the owner (and everyone around the owner) less safe, not more. Unlike a car, it has no other function except to kill. And there is the whole point about what it does to civil society, to political debate, etc.

Why should anyone be able to obtain one at all, and why more easily?

What about the statitstic of number of crimes stopped and number of lives saved due to legal gun owners? Why is that always conveniently ignored?

And no, it shouldn't be as easy to legally obtain a gun as a drivers license...but I was just giving you reasons as to why it's near impossible to legally own a handgun in Chicago, since you seemed to be under a different impression.

I don't know what utopia you live in now where just making guns completely illegal would work. It would only make it so those who pursue legal gun ownership couldn't get one. This isn't the UK, where gun crime was almost non existant before they enacted their first real gun laws. We already have massive gun crime...it's just not coming from legal owners. So you have to think of a realistic solution to what the actual problem is first.

ricardisimo
09-10-2012, 08:31 AM
There is no realistic solution to gun crime in this country. None. We're pretty much ****ed no matter what. Our culture has been purposely cultivated to extol and revel in guns. You cannot watch 30 minutes of television (PBS aside) without seeing a half-dozen guns wielded by some drama protagonist. My eight-year-old adores guns (although admittedly his shoot lasers and cosmic rays.) There's no getting away from it.

There are solutions to crime, but not one of them will be implemented in any meaningful way during our lifetimes in this country. Jobs, drug rehab, after-school programs, stopping the Drug War... all of the things that are getting cut or moving in completely the opposite direction right now. I don't need to lecture you about any of these things, Mom, but you know and I know that those are the things that stop bullets in mid-air.

My main point is that putting more guns out there always only worsens the situation. As far as gun owners having prevented crimes... BS. I love the 2.5 million number that gets tossed around, but everyone knows that's nonsense (http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/430919-why-do-some-people-believe-2-5-million-crimes-prevented-guns.html). Let's call it realistically a couple thousand, and I think that is extremely generous. It doesn't even balance out all of the murders by cops, in my mind.

Vincent
09-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Our culture has been purposely cultivated to extol and revel in guns.

I'm struck by the irony that your ilk would remain in a land that you find so abhorrent. But your musings betray your agenda.

:noidea:Why do leftists hate America?:noidea: