PDA

View Full Version : David DeCastro carted off field with right knee injury

Hawaii 5-0
08-25-2012, 06:44 PM
David DeCastro carted off early for the Steelers

Posted by Josh Alper on August 25, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/610x207-e1345937169121.jpg?w=250

The Steelers’ second drive of their game against the Bills was a costly one.

Running back Isaac Redman and right guard David DeCastro needed medical attention after consecutive plays in the first quarter at Buffalo. It looks like DeCastro has suffered the more serious injury.

DeCastro was locked up on Marcell Dareus during a pass attempt and Steelers tackle Marcus Gilbert fell across the back of his right leg. He was able to stand on one foot, but put no pressure on the right foot before being carted off to the locker room. Ramon Foster, who has already played several positions in the preseason, will take over for the first-round pick.

Redman appeared to injure his neck the play before DeCastro went down. He was on all fours on the field for a bit before walking to the sideline, where Redman looked to be okay as the medical staff moved on to work on DeCastro.

UPDATE: Redman returned to the game on the next Steelers possession. The Steelers say he had a stinger and confirmed that DeCastro will not return with what they’re calling a right knee injury.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/25/david-decastro-isaac-redman-out-early-for-the-steelers/

ZiggyHeyward
08-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Hope the kids alright were going to need him.

tanda10506
08-25-2012, 07:18 PM
I watched the injury and how he acted after, I doubt he will be back this year. They were moving hid knee and he was yelling in pain and banging on the ground.

OX1947
08-25-2012, 07:23 PM
I watched the injury and how he acted after, I doubt he will be back this year. They were moving hid knee and he was yelling in pain and banging on the ground.

Hahahaha. Might as well just say he is gonna die.

NLong725
08-25-2012, 07:27 PM
hopeful he not to injured but time will tell

tanda10506
08-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Hahahaha. Might as well just say he is gonna die.

I'm not the pesimistic type, but it looked bad. I saw it and he was in tons of pain and had to get carted off, just being realistic. Hopefully I'm wrong.

FrancoLambert
08-25-2012, 08:05 PM
To me, his reaction while laying on the ground indicates the severity of it.
I'm gonna say some prayers; we NEED this kid THIS year.

madtowndrunkard
08-25-2012, 08:24 PM
I think he's done. @#$^$#!

Atlanta Dan
08-25-2012, 08:27 PM
IMO we should know during Tomlin's post-game presser if they are in a sharing mood

When Troy hurt his knee in the 2009 opener Tomlin said was not a season ending tear in the Tennessee post-game

Hope for teh best but it looked awful

GoFor7
08-25-2012, 08:30 PM
IMO we should know during Tomlin's post-game presser if they are in a sharing mood

When Troy hurt his knee in the 2009 opener Tomlin said was not a season ending tear in the Tennessee post-game

Hope for teh best but it looked awful

Technically it wasn't. Troy came back too early and re-injured it.

Hawaii 5-0
08-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Steelers’ DeCastro carted off with injury

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Saturday, August 25, 2012

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — The Steelers were hit with injuries in the first half Saturday against Buffalo, as right guard David DeCastro, the team’s No. 1 draft pick, starting running back Isaac Redman and defensive end Brett Keisel left in the first quarter.

DeCastro’s knee was bent sideways on a third-and-8 from the Steelers’ 6-yard line in which Ben Roethlisberger threw incomplete from a shotgun formation. DeCastro was in obvious pain, grimacing while being treated by the team’s medical staff.

It was announced that DeCastro, replaced by Ramon Foster, would not return.

Redman was briefly sidelined after being diagnosed with a shoulder injury. He returned midway through the opening period and ripped off an 18-yard gain that was wiped out by a holding penalty. Redman missed last weekend’s preseason game against Indianapolis with a hip injury.

Keisel injured his left ankle and did not return in the first half.

NOT SO SPECIAL

Dismissing special teams coordinator Al Everest did little to inspire the Steelers’ punt and kickoff units.

Buffalo’s Leodis McKelvin had 18- and 10-yard punt returns to help the Bills take a 7-0 lead.

The punt coverage team appeared to rebound, as Curtis Brown and Ryan Mundy downed the ball at the Buffalo 1 with 6:34 left in the first quarter, but the play was reversed when Buffalo challenged the call.

Rookie Chris Rainey couldn’t generate much and was dumped for a 1-yard loss on a punt return.

HOOD IMPRESSES

Defensive end Ziggy Hood dominated the trenches in the first half.

The four-year veteran was in on four tackles, including one solo, in the first half. Hood also recovered a fumble caused by linebacker Lawrence Timmons at the Buffalo 18, tipped a pass and added a quarterback hit.

OFFENSIVE FRUSTRATIONS

The Steelers didn’t help themselves in a lackluster first quarter.

Their offensive execution was poor, as they failed to pick up a first down on their first two possessions. Also, Rainey and receiver Antonio Brown dropped passes with an open field ahead of them.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was further frustrated when receiver Emmanuel Sanders dropped a perfectly thrown pass on a deep sideline route with cornerback Aaron Williams trailing by two strides.

MISSED TURNOVER CHANCES

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau wasn’t pleased as the Bills ran the ball successfully during a scoring drive.

A silver lining was watching his linebackers combine to create an opportunity for a turnover.

Timmons hit quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, whose pass was tipped by Larry Foote, but LaMarr Woodley dropped the interception. Woodley dropped another errant throw in the second quarter.

LOCAL BILLS

Scott McKillop, a former Pitt standout, is among several linebackers Bills coach Chan Gailey hopes will develop before the team opens the regular season.

McKillop, a Kiski Area graduate, spent the 2009 season in San Francisco. He had 10 tackles in the first two preseason games and was expected to a get a long look from Bills defensive coordinator and former Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt.

Dorin Dickerson, a former All-Big East tight end at Pitt, is fighting for a roster spot with the Bills. The West Allegheny product doubles as an H-back in hopes of becoming one of the lead blockers for tailbacks Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller.

Another former Panther, running back Zach Brown, is trying to find a spot as a returner.

ODDS AND ENDS

The officiating crew had to sort out a couple of disputed calls but only tossed two flags in the first half, both against the Steelers. … The Steelers rushed for 31 yards and netted 72 total yards in the first half.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2453644-85/steelers-bills-half-buffalo-decastro-defensive-dropped-former-punt-quarter

Steel_Bus_24
08-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Man this is freaking awful....DD is such a promising young dude

Atlanta Dan
08-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Tomlin said DeCastro injury is "potentially severe" in post-game presser

That does not sound good - guess they will do the MRI tomorrow

Steel_Bus_24
08-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Tomlin said DeCastro injury is "potentially severe" in post-game presser

That does not sound good - guess they will do the MRI tomorrow

son of a B****

GMU Steeler
08-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Awful news. I hate preseason.

Steel_Bus_24
08-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Im so sick of the slot machice bull sh** with our OL

Every week its a new unit of guys and Ben running for his life

This is like 4 years in a row this has been happening

TXSTEELER
08-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Just once I owuld like to play a game with the same offensive line! Now what, who we going to find to replace him?:banging::banging:

Atlanta Dan
08-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Apparently Tomlin used the term "potentially severe" to describe David Johnson's injury after the first pre-season game - we know how that turned out:banging:

StainlessStill
08-25-2012, 09:49 PM
It would be just DOWNRIGHT AWFUL if we lose DeCastro for the season. So incredibly promising. Chalk up another potential serious injury to field turf. Field Turf needs to be eliminated from all sports. Competition was built for natural grass. Show must go on. HERE WE GO.

Steel_Bus_24
08-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Looks like

Starks-Colon-Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert

Until Colon and Pouncey yearly injuries set in

Someone tell Gilbert to stop getitg his ass run over and into our other players...he tookl out Johnson as well

Atlanta Dan
08-25-2012, 10:02 PM
This from Gerry Dulac at the P-G

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac

Mike Tomlin called DeCastro's injury "potentially severe." I'm told it's prob ACL but won't know till tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/239553262309744641

tony hipchest
08-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Hahahaha. Might as well just say he is gonna die.hahahaha. **** you.

are you calling me an asshole?

Millers the sh!t
08-25-2012, 10:04 PM
This ****ing sucks man.. I was checking the scores from my phone and I get home and see this, and keisel. What a shitty ****ing surprise. Bullshit man.

Curtain_of_Steel
08-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Well at least Ben is in much better shape this year, as he will be running a lot more.

Someday someone will call out this Oline. Hopefully its this year.

GMU Steeler
08-25-2012, 10:06 PM
This ****ing sucks man.. I was checking the scores from my phone and I get home and see this, and keisel. What a shitty ****ing surprise. Bullshit man.

No kidding. I was checking the score while watching a film because the game wasn't on locally and I saw the final score and thought good but then I look over the play by play and see that DD was taken off the field in a cart. It sucks big time to have something like this when it finally looked like our O-Line could emerge as a strong part of the team.

LVSteelersfan
08-25-2012, 10:06 PM
CRAP. What did the Steelers do to p i $ $ off the football gods? No one else gets injuries on their offensive lines like this team. I hope DeCastro is not as bad off as it looked but I am not holding my breath. I thought we had it made at the Guard position this year.

steelers33
08-25-2012, 10:23 PM
95% sure it's an ACL.

SteelCurtain5643
08-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Just once I'd like to have a year with a normal offensive line, ****.....Looks like Bens in for another year of no protection :(

Millers the sh!t
08-25-2012, 10:37 PM
They are reporting that it's ACL and mcl injuries.

dave n'at
08-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Looks like it's both ACL and MCL, chaps. :(

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie guard David DeCastro suffered injuries to his anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments and will be out awhile, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL.com and NFL Network.

DeCastro was carted off the field with what coach Mike Tomlin later called a "potentially severe" right knee injury during the first quarter of Saturday night's 38-7 preseason victory against the Buffalo Bills.

DeCastro, the Steelers' first-round draft pick, didn't return to the game, and Tomlin said afterward that the rookie would undergo an MRI to determine the severity of the injury.

On the Steelers' second drive of the game, DeCastro was tangled up with Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus on a pass play when Pittsburgh tackle Marcus Gilbert landed on the back of DeCastro's right leg.

Trainers helped DeCastro to one foot before he was carted off the Ralph Wilson Stadium FieldTurf, which quarterback Ben Roethlisberger blamed for the rookie's injury.

"Well I just saw him, (and his) spirits are high," Roethlisberger told NFL.com and NFL Network's Kimberly Jones at halftime. "We don't obviously know -- well, I don't know what the official word is. This is a great field, but it's FieldTurf, and it's just killing guys because they can't get their feet out of the ground, and it's just another reason we should get rid of FieldTurf."

Coach Mike Tomlin and the Steelers used April's draft to rebuild an offensive line that caused problems for Roethlisberger last season. After selecting DeCastro out of Stanford with the No. 24 overall draft pick, the team used its second-round choice on offensive tackle Mike Adams from Ohio State. Both have gotten off to a slow start this preseason.

UPDATE: Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel also left the game with what Tomlin described afterward as a mild high ankle sprain.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054841/article/steelers-david-decastro-injures-acl-mcl-vs-bills?module=HP11_headline_stack

3rdandlong
08-25-2012, 10:39 PM
I'd be thrilled if he was only out for half the season at this point

OX1947
08-25-2012, 10:40 PM
hahahaha. **** you.

are you calling me an asshole?

Yes I am. :hatsoff:

Steel_Bus_24
08-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I'd be thrilled if he was only out for half the season at this point

at this point yeah I would too....That looked bad on the replay

Im expecting IR

Just such a fffing shame

We were going to be Nasty inside this year with Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro

casteeler
08-25-2012, 10:48 PM
So Addams looks like a bust and DeCastro will possibly be out for several games...awesome. Maybe the Steelers can plan on drafting a QB next year since Ben will get sacked a hundred times before the bye week

TheVet
08-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Such a bummer ...

SteelCurtain5643
08-25-2012, 10:51 PM
NFL.com saying he damaged both ACL and MCL......**** **** AND MORE ****!

GoFor7
08-25-2012, 10:54 PM

How are they certain without him being evaluated?

casteeler
08-25-2012, 10:57 PM
The Steelers would be smart to find a couple of O linemen in trade for a WR, if the Steelers have no offensive line how can Ben get the ball to Wallace?

SteelCurtain5643
08-25-2012, 10:58 PM
How are they certain without him being evaluated?

I dont think its 100% certain until the MRI tomorrow, but a source close to the situation reported this....pretty much hes done, ****ing sucks donkey dick

tanda10506
08-25-2012, 11:08 PM
The thing I was just watching may have been "hyped up", but the hosts weren't worried about this season, they were worried if he would play again. Not sure how they would know the damage, may be just hype, but NFL Network also said ACL and MCL and possibly other ligaments.

OX1947
08-25-2012, 11:10 PM
This absolutely blows. It's as if the Steelers didnt have a 1st round pick who was a starter now. Damn it, (bleep). What is it with our damn line and injuries every (bleep) game. Serious?! Every freakin game.

Steelersfan87
08-25-2012, 11:14 PM
It sucks. Shit happens. Ramon Foster can play right guard above the line. Moving on.

Adams also played well.

Hawaii 5-0
08-25-2012, 11:15 PM

you can watch the video of the play DeCastro got hurt on here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054841/article/steelers-david-decastro-injures-acl-mcl-vs-bills?module=HP11_headline_stack

Steelers' David DeCastro injures ACL, MCL vs. Bills

By Marc Sessler
Published: Aug. 25, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie guard David DeCastro suffered injuries to his anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in Saturday night's preseason game and will be out awhile, a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL.com and NFL Network.

DeCastro was carted off the field with what Steelers coach Mike Tomlin later called a "potentially severe" right knee injury during the first quarter of a 38-7 victory over the Buffalo Bills.

DeCastro, the Steelers' first-round draft pick, didn't return to the game, and Tomlin said afterward that the rookie would undergo an MRI to determine the severity of the injury.

On the Steelers' second drive of the game, DeCastro was tangled up with Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus on a pass play when Pittsburgh tackle Marcus Gilbert landed on the back of DeCastro's right leg.

Trainers helped DeCastro to one foot before he was carted off the Ralph Wilson Stadium FieldTurf, which quarterback Ben Roethlisberger blamed for the rookie's injury.

"Well I just saw him, (and his) spirits are high," Roethlisberger told NFL.com and NFL Network's Kimberly Jones at halftime. "We don't obviously know -- well, I don't know what the official word is. This is a great field, but it's FieldTurf, and it's just killing guys because they can't get their feet out of the ground, and it's just another reason we should get rid of FieldTurf."

Tomlin and the Steelers used April's draft to rebuild an offensive line that caused problems for Roethlisberger last season. After selecting DeCastro out of Stanford with the No. 24 overall draft pick, the team used its second-round choice on offensive tackle Mike Adams from Ohio State. Both have gotten off to a slow start this preseason.

UPDATE: Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel also left the game with what Tomlin described afterward as a mild high ankle sprain.

pittpete
08-25-2012, 11:55 PM
This is the second Steeler Gilbert took out this year getting pushed back like a FN ragdoll

NLong725
08-26-2012, 12:14 AM
mcl acl mayb we can get him back at the end of the year for the playoffs

Hawaii 5-0
08-26-2012, 12:21 AM

if DeCastro has a torn acl and mcl then the Steelers will place him on injured reserve which will not allow him to play for the rest of the season and in the post-season.

tanda10506
08-26-2012, 12:41 AM

Wouldn't want a rookie who's rehabing a serious injury playing in the playoffs anyway.

I just hope it's not a career ending or career lingering injury. ACL, MCL, and "other damage" sounds like his knee is a total mess. Seems like players recover much better from ACL's then a decade ago, but if everything is tore up it might not be fully repairable. I know it's wishful thinking, but let's hope it's not a full tear and he can at least get in some time in garbage time towards the end of the year in preperation for next season.

TheVet
08-26-2012, 02:19 AM
The Steelers would be smart to find a couple of O linemen in trade for a WR, if the Steelers have no offensive line how can Ben get the ball to Wallace?

I hate to say it, but he's been able to get the ball to his receivers for the last five years without an OL (and even without plays!). It hasn't been pretty, and it's gonna lead to repeated injuries, and it will be tougher and tougher as he gets older. But he can do it.

Anyway, it's a major bummer. We all want to see an NFL-caliber OL in Pittsburgh. It's been too long. This just sucks.

tanda10506
08-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Looks like the only difference this year is Colon being healthy and playing Guard. That looks like a big improvement over Legursky, but we are one more O line injury from being back to last year. Drafted 3 O lineman and we'll be lucky if we get anything out of one (Adams).

As for Ben not having time to get it to his WR's, it is a concern, but the playbook will help. He was releasing the ball so quick that it wouldn't have mattered who was on the line. If Starks and Colon hold up and Gilbert carries his weight, we will still be ok, and if all the WR's aren't 40-50 yards down the field then Ben will get them the ball. Problem is, that's a lot of "if's".

TheVet
08-26-2012, 03:33 AM
And Gilbert seems to be a big "if." I've really been surprised by his regression this preseason.

Lokki
08-26-2012, 05:25 AM
This really blows. I was looking forward to seeing this new line, this season. I certainly wasn't expecting DeCastro to have a bad injury.

SteelerinSevern
08-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Such ashame about DD. The look of it he's out for the year. Thats the first round pick. Nobody even wants to discuss the disapointment of Mike Adams who will only see playing time if/when starks or gilbert get hurt. Thats 2 picks. Sean Spence is in training and defense never see's the field as rookies. ST player with maybe some garbage time. That pick 3. Ta'amu... the way its looking he will back up hampton and mcclendon. So we won't see alot of him. That's 4. If Rainey keeps dropping passes with wide open field in front of him and not showing any spark on ST he will be on the bench too... basically the point I'm getting at is we should not even worry about our draft picks. Every year we pull off some type of miracle with the OL. I swear it was different every week last season. Relax guys. Our team knows how to win. We know how to handle our business. There's no way one player can come in and save the whole team. They have to potential to make the team better as a whole. I mean look how poor Peyton is playing this year? If they do there job, we run the ball more, we get wallace back (because sanders is beginning to slightly piss me off as well), we will be fine. Keep our heads up and pray that the kid doesnt have a career ending injury. Look at it as a bonus. It's pretty much like having 2 first roud picks if he doenst touch the field this year. We pick again next year.

Rick5895
08-26-2012, 05:50 AM
I choose not to take the pessimistic approach like so many here. From what little I watched of the game last night, the OL did a decent job without DD. Buffalo has a very good DL. We will be fine, teams will not be able to oad up and 5 or 6 guys on the pass rush because we are involving our RB's more in the passing game, we actually have a short passing game now and that will keep defenses honest.
Hopefully this isn't a carer ender, (i don't think it is) for DD. IR him and get him ready for next season. Fortunately (if there is any thing good to take from this) this happened now, not in the middle of the season so our OL can gel with the guys we have.
Looking forward to a similiar result against Denver in 2 weeks that we had last night vs Buffalo, minus the injuries.

StainlessStill
08-26-2012, 06:52 AM
I just can never hide my anger any longer regarding these hoarse shit injuries! It's almost like our destiny is to play offensive line musical chairs for the rest of eternity as our punishment for our league leading 6 trophies. Regardless, in Ramon Foster I trust. He's more than capable of getting the job done. This last and final line-change HAS TO BE IT. We need THIS UNIT of Starks, Colon, Pouncey, Foster and Gilbert to remain intact to give us our best shot at Lombardi 7. I'll be wishing great things and great health for this line from this point forward.

Get well soon, 66!

Buddha Bus
08-26-2012, 07:16 AM
I just can never hide my anger any longer regarding these hoarse shit injuries! It's almost like our destiny is to play offensive line musical chairs for the rest of eternity as our punishment for our league leading 6 trophies. Regardless, in Ramon Foster I trust. He's more than capable of getting the job done. This last and final line-change HAS TO BE IT. We need THIS UNIT of Starks, Colon, Pouncey, Foster and Gilbert to remain intact to give us our best shot at Lombardi 7. I'll be wishing great things and great health for this line from this point forward.

Get well soon, 66!

Well, if it was going to happen, better now than once the season starts. At least we can plan ahead and pick up a vet off the cuts other teams are going to make. There will be more to choose from this week and later than there will be in October.

It also gives DeCastro a full year to heal and rehab and possibly be ready for the start of next season. I really hope it isn't any worse than that. We sure need this guy to get healthy and back on the field next year.

pete74
08-26-2012, 07:37 AM
I think our line protected better after he left. I'm not to worried. I like foster at guard and was never a deliver in drafting lineman round 1.

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 07:47 AM

Surprised to read about Ben blaming the injury on FieldTurf - it is a damn shame but s**t happens during the game

ESPN.com has these thoughts

Unfortunately for Roethlisberger and the Steelers, they are going to play half of their eight road games this season on artificial surfaces: Cincinnati (FieldTurf), New York Giants (FieldTurf), Baltimore (Sportexe Momentum turf) and Dallas (Matrix RealGrass artificial turf).

The Steelers, though, have lost more players to severe knee injuries on grass in the past year. Running back Rashard Mendenhall injured his knee in last regular season's finale in Cleveland. Nose tackle Casey Hampton and offensive tackle Max Starks hurt their knees in the playoff game in Denver. And fullback David Johnson blew out his knee in the preseason opener in Philadelphia.

Maybe it's safer for the Steelers to play on FieldTurf.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/53389/roethlisberger-blames-turf-for-decastros-injury

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Well with DeCastro out and the rest of the picks not living up to their hype yet, we are basically back to square one. At least Haley didn't get injured.... I believe we will definitely be competitive this season and still make the playoffs.If not, this will be a learning season and we will have a much better draft position next year. I hate looking that far ahead for possible positive changes.

We have a.tough schedule.this year. If we make it to the playoffs with four or less losses I say we have a good shot at making it far in the playoffs.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Well with DeCastro out and the rest of the picks not living up to their hype yet, we are basically back to square one. At least Haley didn't get injured.... I believe we will definitely be competitive this season and still make the playoffs.If not, this will be a learning season and we will have a much better draft position next year. I hate looking that far ahead for possible positive changes.

We have a.tough schedule.this year. If we make it to the playoffs with four or less losses I say we have a good shot at making it far in the playoffs.

I wouldn't exactly say that.

DeCastro was looking like a starter before the injury. Mike Adams was already improving with each week, and Chris Rainey scored on a 40-yard run last night. The only rookie I haven't heard much of is Ta'Amu.

Number4SteelersFan
08-26-2012, 08:05 AM
He'll be back!

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 08:06 AM

DeCastro was looking like a starter before the injury. Mike Adams was already improving with each week, and Chris Rainey scored on a 40-yard run last night. The only rookie I haven't heard much of is Ta'Amu.

And Sean Spence is said to have impressed the coaches

Ravens lose Suggs in the offseasoin and Steelers lose #1 pick DeCastro in preseason - big winners from those events are the Bengals and Patriots

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 08:16 AM
And Sean Spence is said to have impressed the coaches

Ravens lose Suggs in the offseasoin and Steelers lose #1 pick DeCastro in preseason - big winners from those events are the Bengals and Patriots

Completely forgot about Spence. :doh:

I believe I heard that they had Spence in the "Wire" helmet that receives play calls and audio from the sideline. I know he's said to be a vocal player, but if he's already growing into a "Leader" presence, we have a GREAT young player on defense in Spence.

wera176
08-26-2012, 08:29 AM
That sucks, best wishes for the kid!

Gilbert needs to stay on his damn feet.

Little early to call Adams a bust. Disappointing that he isn't ready to be a starter, but it's not that unusual that a rookie isn't ready to be a starter in the NFL after 3 preseason games.

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 09:04 AM

Yea I agree with DeCastro, I didn't get to see last night's game I'm gonna have to wait till four today. But the last I've heard and saw from Adams he was really underperforming. It's glad to read that he did better last night. I'll keep a close eye on him. Thnks bayz

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Completely forgot about Spence. :doh:

I believe I heard that they had Spence in the "Wire" helmet that receives play calls and audio from the sideline. I know he's said to be a vocal player, but if he's already growing into a "Leader" presence, we have a GREAT young player on defense in Spence.

I like Spence, kids in on every play. Just don't think hell contribute to the 1's this season. That's part why I said learning season earlier.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Yea I agree with DeCastro, I didn't get to see last night's game I'm gonna have to wait till four today. But the last I've heard and saw from Adams he was really underperforming. It's glad to read that he did better last night. I'll keep a close eye on him. Thnks bayz

Adams has been improving with each week, according to a lot of opinions i'm hearing. I personally thought he was doing a lot better. In fact, I think he outperformed Starks.

I don't think he'll be a starter this year outright, but he may be a capable backup when needed and possibly a starter in the future. He's a great run blocker, just hasn't mastered the pass blocking. I'll have you know that Heath Miller had some thrown his way. Two catches for fifteen yards.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 09:17 AM
I like Spence, kids in on every play. Just don't think hell contribute to the 1's this season. That's part why I said learning season earlier.

He's one of the one's that I don't really want starting right away. I think if he sits behind some of the veterans for a year or so he'll improve GREATLY. I really like the kid. I'm excited about him.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 09:25 AM
He's one of the one's that I don't really want starting right away. I think if he sits behind some of the veterans for a year or so he'll improve GREATLY. I really like the kid. I'm excited about him.

Couldn't agree more, unfortunate for DeCastro, I think that maybe the same thought concept should go along with Adams, sit for a while and learn, Max Starks is well capable of handling the duties. Adams needs to learn and put in more work, I am a huge Ohio State fan (Please don't hold that against me) but IMO Adams needs to work and learn from some of the vets.

GoFor7
08-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Take it with a grain of salt as nothing is confirmed yet, but ESPN is saying DeCastro definitely has a torn MCL, but they aren't sure about the ACL. If the ACL isn't damaged, DeCastro could return mid-season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8304333/source-pittsburgh-steelers-guard-david-decastro-torn-mcl

David DeCastro has torn MCL
Updated: August 26, 2012, 9:56 AM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Pittsburgh Steelers first-round pick David DeCastro has a torn medial collateral ligament but the team is unsure whether he tore his anterior cruciate ligament, a high-level team source said Sunday morning.

DeCastro, a right guard, is scheduled to undergo an MRI at lunchtime to determine the severity of the injury.

If it's solely a torn MCL, he would be expected to miss about half of the 2012 season. If it's a torn MCL and ACL he likely would miss the entire season.

The Steelers are hopeful that because doctors did not detect a torn ACL on Saturday night, the MRI will reveal the same.

DeCastro was hurt while pass blocking as Pittsburgh faced third-and-8 at its 6-yard line on its second possession in Saturday night's preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. DeCastro's right leg twisted beneath him after being bowled over by defensive tackle Marcell Dareus.

DeCastro, the 24th overall selection out of Stanford who started Saturday's game over Ramon Foster, lay in the end zone for a few minutes as trainers worked on his leg. He briefly got up on his own, but was unable to put any weight on his right leg. He took a few hops before trainers stopped him and called for a cart.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Take it with a grain of salt as nothing is confirmed yet, but ESPN is saying DeCastro definitely has a torn MCL, but they aren't sure about the ACL. If the ACL isn't damaged, DeCastro could return mid-season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8304333/source-pittsburgh-steelers-guard-david-decastro-torn-mcl

Wow that is a stretch, if he did return mid-season how effective would he be, he has only played in pre-season, the game is only going to get faster. With the MCL tear I would put him on the shelf unless he makes an "amazing" recovery and is in absolute game form, if not let him rehab, study, watch and learn, protect the investment here, lick your wounds and live to fight another day!

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Wow that is a stretch, if he did return mid-season how effective would he be, he has only played in pre-season, the game is only going to get faster. With the MCL tear I would put him on the shelf unless he makes an "amazing" recovery and is in absolute game form, if not let him rehab, study, watch and learn, protect the investment here, lick your wounds and live to fight another day!

I'm not so sure, either. People note Troy Polamalu as the player to look at when determining when DeCastro will be ready, but Polamalu sprained his MCL. He came back four games later, which was obviously to soon. He was in and out all year long.

Steelerindc
08-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I just heard on NFL network that Mike Tomlin said it looks pretty bad for DeCastro. Potentially MCL and ACL damage.

I can only say that I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm not so sure, either. People note Troy Polamalu as the player to look at when determining when DeCastro will be ready, but Polamalu sprained his MCL. He came back four games later, which was obviously to soon. He was in and out all year long.

Agreed, I certainly remember that well, was happy whenhe returned but not with the end result. DeCastro is definitely not Troy, there is someone out there who could fill in for DeCastro, Troy's void can not be filled effectively. Also, when Troy siffered his knee injury he was a veteran, he is used to the speed of the game, DeCastro was just learning to adjust, get his feet on the ground so to speak, I would say IMO don't rush it, that being said I believe you may have the same thought procees or feelings as me towards his return or rushing his return.

GoFor7
08-26-2012, 10:35 AM

The coaches and the medical staff should not have allowed Troy to return too early then. If DeCastro's injury is only an MCL I would hope they would not allow him to return until he is 110%.

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 10:40 AM

With Aaron Smith retired some injured player who should go on IR needs to take up an active roster spot even thoug they will not play for the rest of the season - why not DeCastro?:noidea:

zcoop
08-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I hope the kid is alright and hope for a full recovery. But the season is not lost because the Steelers are a Team. Some seem to forget that we finished 12-4 last year. The sky is not falling folks.

Things like this sometimes can provide perspective to other situations, like the one with Mike Wallace and his desire to get what he can while he can. In this business,neither tomorrow's game nor practice is never guaranteed.

Continue to pray for the kid and his recoup.

teegre
08-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Two words: eye are.  

I would NOT risk the kid's future by rushing him back.  

Troy only "sprained" his MCL... and he still should have sat much longer.  

DD has tears in both his MCL and his ACL... tears are worse than sprains... and there are two ligaments damaged.  IR... period.  

[NOTE: It has not officially been reported as tears, but even so, with two ligaments sprained, why risk the kids future? Troy was virtually ineffective. Using that as a launching spot: IR.]

Curtain_of_Steel
08-26-2012, 10:56 AM
The Vet,

regardless of Bens success, he has been hurt most every year, because he gets hit so much. We want Ben around 6-8 more years, getting hit 80 times a year is not good for a QB.

Some of you can blame Ben all you want for extending the play, that is what makes him successful, but this group as a whole, historically can't block.

Colon better be an improvement over Legursky, because he sucks ass. If I'm colon I dont want to base my play against that of Legursky, lol Or Foster, or any of the other scrubs we have used. This guy made 35mill over the last 5 years and if it wasnt for restructures he wouldve been totally worthless.

FrancoLambert
08-26-2012, 11:19 AM
And Gilbert seems to be a big "if." I've really been surprised by his regression this preseason.

Me too, big time.
Most of the post game analysis about his play this preseason seems inflated.
The times I've focused on him, he seems slow to react, doesn't move his feet well, and gets overpowered too easily for such a big man.

WVABE
08-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Another year of, " run Ben run ".

teegre
08-26-2012, 11:34 AM
The silver lining:
As long as the Steelers have BB, they will ALWAYS be SuperBowl contenders.

Of course, a healthy BB helps. That said, he's done it with worse O-lines (2008... Hartwig...WTF!?!).

tony hipchest
08-26-2012, 11:36 AM
what may have been a small ray of hope for decastro to play late in the season or playoffs was voted down by the players union last week.-

Pat Kirwan‏@PatKirwanCBS

Before the season ends 32 players in IR will be healthy enough to return but can't because of their own union. Speak up players!!

23 AugPat Kirwan‏@PatKirwanCBS

common sense say the NFLPA would embrace the new IR rule letting one payer return why does everything have to be a negotiation just say yes!

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 11:36 AM

I don't really think so, with Bruce Arians I would say YES, not with Todd Haley, I think he will adapt and adjust, tough loss for the Steelers and the Offense. I don't think Ben will be looking up at the lights as much with Haley at the helm and his ability to call his own plays, not this year.

Fire Arians
08-26-2012, 11:40 AM

i wouldn't say that. our biggest problem was kemoeatu, but colon should do a better job, much better job. now with that said, im not to confident he can make it through the season without getting IRed because of his track record

bigbenzbrokenose
08-26-2012, 11:49 AM
The silver lining:
As long as the Steelers have BB, they will ALWAYS be SuperBowl contenders.

Of course, a healthy BB helps. That said, he's done it with worse O-lines (2008... Hartwig...WTF!?!).

our steelers are past our prime now. It is time to rebuild now. we need to trade polamalu he is slow now

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 11:51 AM
our steelers are past our prime now. It is time to rebuild now. we need to trade polamalu he is slow now

:sofunny::applaudit::chuckle::toofunny::rofl:

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 11:55 AM
:blah:our steelers are past our prime now. It is time to rebuild now. we need to trade polamalu he is slow now

Are you trolling????? You must be joking, what???? Sure, Ben limps a little so get rid of him, you are either trolling or you are smoking, if you are smoking please tell me what you are smoking, it may be good for medicinal purposes!!!!! :rofl: :doh: :chuckle: :rofl:

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 11:56 AM
:blah:

Are you trolling????? You must be joking, what???? Sure, Ben limps a little so get rid of him, you are either trolling or you are smoking, if you are smoking please tell me what you are smoking, it may be good for medicinal purposes!!!!! :rofl: :doh: :chuckle: :rofl:

Look at his name. Think for about three seconds. Analyze. Conclude. Confirm.

Troll.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Look at his name. Think for about three seconds. Analyze. Conclude. Confirm.

Troll.

Are you thinking a Ratbirds troll??? If so I wouldn't be trolling here, especially with Suggs being out, man would that be a b***h to troll concerning Castro with Suggs being out!!!!

Hawaii 5-0
08-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Roethlisberger blames FieldTurf for DeCastro’s injury

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 26, 2012

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger blames the surface at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo for the injury to his teammate, David DeCastro.

DeCastro, the guard the Steelers selected in the first round of this year’s draft, suffered what the Steelers fear is a severe knee injury against the Bills. And Roethlisberger said afterward that he doesn’t think DeCastro would have suffered that injury on a grass field.

“It’s just FieldTurf — this is a great field, but FieldTurf is just killing guys because they can’t get their feet out of the ground,” Roethlisberger said on NFL Network after the game. “It’s just another reason we should get rid of FieldTurf.”

Although FieldTurf is almost universally considered a big improvement over the old-school AstroTurf, which was basically like playing on fuzzy green concrete, players are mixed about whether FieldTurf is as good as grass. Some players, like Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher, have said grass should be ripped out and replaced with FieldTurf. Others, like former Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins, have said they dislike FieldTurf so much that they would only play for a team that had grass.

Roethlisberger is strongly in the anti-FieldTurf camp. After Saturday night’s injury, DeCastro may be, too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/26/roethlisberger-blames-fieldturf-for-decastros-injury/

Hawaii 5-0
08-26-2012, 12:21 PM
David DeCastro tears MCL; ACL OK

Updated: August 26, 2012
By Adam Schefter | ESPN

Pittsburgh Steelers right guard David DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to his patellar tendon. But his anterior cruciate ligament is intact, according to sources.

Steelers' Shuffling Line

David DeCastro's injury is a blow to the Steelers, who had hoped to stabilize their offensive line after using the most combinations of linemen in the NFL last season.

Different Starters

Steelers 25 9
Patriots 20 10
Seahawks 20 8

The team is unsure if the 2012 first-round draft pick will be able to return this season after receiving the results of his MRI on Sunday.

DeCastro was hurt while pass blocking as Pittsburgh faced third-and-8 at its 6-yard line on its second possession in Saturday night's preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. DeCastro's right leg twisted beneath him after being bowled over by defensive tackle Marcell Dareus.

DeCastro, the 24th overall selection out of Stanford who started Saturday's game over Ramon Foster, lay in the end zone for a few minutes as trainers worked on his leg. He briefly got up on his own, but was unable to put any weight on his right leg. He took a few hops before trainers stopped him and called for a cart.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8304333/sources-pittsburgh-steelers-guard-david-decastro-torn-mcl-acl-intact

Terrible Towel Boy
08-26-2012, 12:21 PM
NFL.com reporting DeCastro tore both his ACL and MCL and will miss the entire season...bummer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055039/article/david-decastro-out-for-season-with-torn-acl-mcl

mikegrimey
08-26-2012, 12:22 PM
I feel bad for the team and DeCastro, but the fans who like to whine and speculate that Roethlisberger could put up Brady/Brees numbers with a "good" oline get to complain for another year.

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 12:25 PM

By polamalu I think you mean lewis and reed.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 12:26 PM
DeCastro tears MCL, ACL Okay

SteelersXtreme.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted David DeCastro to help protect Ben Roethlisberger. But there was no one to protect DeCastro from injury as his rookie season possibly came to an end.

The rookie guard suffered a knee injury in the first quarter of the third preseason game Saturday night against the Buffalo Bills. Tests revealed that DeCastro has a torn medial collateral ligament, dislocated knee-cap and some damage to his patellar tendon, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. No information yet on whether or not DeCastro will return to the field this season, but the good news is, his ACL is intact.

The Steelers selected DeCastro in the first round of the 2012 draft to help shore up an offensive line that has struggled in recent years. DeCastro, who played guard at Stanford, was projected to go much higher in the draft but fell to the Steelers in the 24th spot.

http://www.steelersxtreme.com/

SH-Rock
08-26-2012, 12:27 PM
If that's the case he might be back by week 8-10.

teegre
08-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Uh... hmmm. uh... hmmm...

If BB were injured... and the rest of the team fell into a pit, created by Bane... then, I'd consider that trade. Otherwise, NO.

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Welcome to the board

Are you related to bobby jr.?

So help me out with how your Ravens are going to end their season this year: hail of Flacco turnovers; dropped passes by the receivers; or defensive meltdown?

:drink:

SH-Rock
08-26-2012, 12:32 PM
So NFL network say both are torn, and ESPN says only one is torn. dafuq

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 12:34 PM

That was one major knee injury when you throw in the dislocated kneecap and damage to the patellar tendon

Forget ending the season - I hope this does not seriously impair his career:banging:

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 12:37 PM

Either way not good news, damnit!!!!! :banging: :banging: :banging: :doh:

SH-Rock
08-26-2012, 12:40 PM
That was one major knee injury when you throw in the dislocated kneecap and damage to the patellar tendon

Forget ending the season - I hope this does not seriously impair his career:banging:

Well having both injured is really serious and can be career impairing, one on the other hand can be healed, maybe never 100% but pretty darn close.

Why do we always have the worst luck with the OL. It's like these guys are made of glass or purposely getting injured.

BKAnthem
08-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Gilbert is turning into Chris Scott Jr the way he's getting thrown into the backfield

SH-Rock
08-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I also guess this means Heath will be staying at the line of scrimmage to protect Ben's ass...

SteelCurtain5643
08-26-2012, 12:57 PM
A Sunday MRI revealed that Steelers first-round pick David DeCastro dislocated his right kneecap, tore his MCL, and suffered "some damage" to the patellar tendon in Saturday night's preseason game injury.
We have an extremely difficult time believing DeCastro stands any chance of returning this season, but the story from ESPN's Adam Schefter surprisingly doesn't rule it out. Per Schefter, DeCastro's ACL is intact, and the Steelers are "unsure if or when" DeCastro will be back. DeCastro is not a PUP candidate after opening camp healthy, and the NFL never did approve its one-injured-player rule that would've allowed one guy to be carried into the season without being part of the 53-man roster. Thus, DeCastro is likely headed to injured reserve.

So he didnt do anything to his ACL, but ****ed up a whole bunch of other shit

steelers33
08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
This could be really detrimental towards a guy like Decastro. A lot of his game is on his footwork, flexibility, and overall movement skills and completely blowing out his knee could really slow him down. Putting him on IR at this point is easily the best option. Let him rehab, and also get physically stronger and come back ready to go next year. Also Ramon Foster is serviceable, we'll be alright.

bigbenzbrokenose
08-26-2012, 01:04 PM
another loss for the already losing squeelers

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 01:05 PM
DeCastro tears MCL, possibly ACL

SteelersXtreme.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted David DeCastro to help protect Ben Roethlisberger. But there was no one to protect DeCastro from injury as his rookie season possibly came to an end.

The rookie guard suffered a knee injury in the first quarter of the third preseason game Saturday night against the Buffalo Bills. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, David DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to his patellar tendon, but his ACL was intact. A conflicting report however by NFL.com writer Ian Rapoport claims that DeCastro tore both his ACL and MCL, with no mention of his knee-cap or damage to his Patellar tendon.

The Steelers selected DeCastro in the first round of the 2012 draft to help shore up an offensive line that has struggled in recent years. DeCastro, who played guard at Stanford, was projected to go much higher in the draft but fell to the Steelers in the 24th spot.

TRH
08-26-2012, 01:06 PM
wow...the newest report, though could have been even worse, is disastrous. A horrible and involved, very serious injury.
And the way Pouncey appears to be made of plastic and glass, i'd be shocked to see him make it through this season.
How frustrating. Its like we're not allowed to have a good offensive line to protect our QB....no matter who we draft or trade for.

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 01:08 PM
another loss for the already losing squeelers

Come back after your boys win something worth pouring the Gatorade bucket over Harbaugh's head:drink:

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 01:09 PM
This could be really detrimental towards a guy like Decastro. A lot of his game is on his footwork, flexibility, and overall movement skills and completely blowing out his knee could really slow him down. Putting him on IR at this point is easily the best option. Let him rehab, and also get physically stronger and come back ready to go next year. Also Ramon Foster is serviceable, we'll be alright.

He's tanned, rested and ready - bring back Kemo:thumbsup:

Steelerfreak58
08-26-2012, 01:21 PM
This sucks.

GoFor7
08-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Well in general if the MCL is torn but the ACL is in tact, a player could return around mid-season. But all that other damage.... I have no idea what to expect.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 01:32 PM
DeCastro tears MCL, ACL fine

SteelersXtreme.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted David DeCastro to help protect Ben Roethlisberger. But there was no one to protect DeCastro as he suffered a serious knee injury Saturday.

The rookie guard suffered a knee injury in the first quarter of the third preseason game Saturday night against the Buffalo Bills. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to his patellar tendon, but his ACL is intact. A conflicting report by NFL.com writer Ian Rapoport claimed that DeCastro tore both his ACL and MCL, which has since been retracted.

-------------------------------------------

Turns out his ACL is fine, as NFL.com has retracted the original report. Good news, but I still see DeCastro sitting out this year.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 01:38 PM
So there you have it. He didn't tear his ACL, but he's probably still sitting it out this year, which at this point I can accept. I'm just glad his ACL is fine.

GMU Steeler
08-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Just got the text. MCL not ACL but still a tough injury. I just feel for the guy more than anything else. Make a full recovery DD.

GoFor7
08-26-2012, 01:54 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055039/article/mri-reveals-steelers-david-decastro-suffered-torn-mcl?module=HP11_headline_stack

Seems NFL.com has retracted it's earlier article that DeCastro tore his ACL. Typical of them. Being the first to report something is more important then being accurate!

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055039/article/mri-reveals-steelers-david-decastro-suffered-torn-mcl?module=HP11_headline_stack

Seems NFL.com has retracted it's earlier article that DeCastro tore his ACL. Typical of them. Being the first to report something is more important then being accurate!

You know I have a question, report accuracy is important, but does this change the circumstance? Truthfully, such potential this season for DD but not looking that way now, time to face reality, the Steelers need to get a more that suitable replacement, if they don't there better be one helluva game plan.

xbroughneck
08-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Prayers go out to David and his family. Hope it doesn't keep him out the entire season, but if it does...heal up and come back strong next year. :drink:

GoFor7
08-26-2012, 02:08 PM
You know I have a question, report accuracy is important, but does this change the circumstance? Truthfully, such potential this season for DD but not looking that way now, time to face reality, the Steelers need to get a more that suitable replacement, if they don't there better be one helluva game plan.

It may not change the fact that DeCastro's season is possibly over, but that doesn't mean you make things up before they are confirmed just to get people to read your articles.

OX1947
08-26-2012, 02:18 PM
DeCastro tears MCL, ACL fine

SteelersXtreme.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted David DeCastro to help protect Ben Roethlisberger. But there was no one to protect DeCastro as he suffered a serious knee injury Saturday.

The rookie guard suffered a knee injury in the first quarter of the third preseason game Saturday night against the Buffalo Bills. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to his patellar tendon, but his ACL is intact. A conflicting report by NFL.com writer Ian Rapoport claimed that DeCastro tore both his ACL and MCL, which has since been retracted.

-------------------------------------------

Turns out his ACL is fine, as NFL.com has retracted the original report. Good news, but I still see DeCastro sitting out this year.

Phew!!! Thank god. I really wasn't thinking this year but his career. ACL tears are a bitch. MCL, wow, I'll take that. Let him rest the first 10 games and bring him back for the last 6. That should be plenty of time to get acclimated and then ready for the playoff run.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Phew!!! Thank god. I really wasn't thinking this year but his career. ACL tears are a bitch. MCL, wow, I'll take that. Let him rest the first 10 games and bring him back for the last 6. That should be plenty of time to get acclimated and then ready for the playoff run.

That would be cool, but I honestly think he's out for the entire year, and on the IR by tomorrow. I could see bringing him back midway through the season if it was just an MCL, but he's also sporting an injured ligament in around his knee-cap, and his knee-cap itself is dislocated.

OX1947
08-26-2012, 02:25 PM
That would be cool, but I honestly think he's out for the entire year, and on the IR by tomorrow. I could see bringing him back midway through the season if it was just an MCL, but he's also sporting an injured ligament in around his knee-cap, and his knee-cap itself is dislocated.

Nevermind, this still sucks.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Nevermind, this still sucks.

Honestly, i'm just happy he didn't tear his ACL. I'd hate to see him risk ending his career with an MCL-ACL combination injury from a meaningless preseason game. Foster should be able to handle his job.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Honestly, i'm just happy he didn't tear his ACL. I'd hate to see him risk ending his career with an MCL-ACL combination injury from a meaningless preseason game. Foster should be able to handle his job.

BAYz, please don't say Foster, hell if it means anything look at Legursky, please no Foster, hell no Legursky, let's find something during the cuts, not Foster or Legursky, damnit thought the OL was turning the page, hell is Faneca available???? :banging:

bigbenzbrokenose
08-26-2012, 02:42 PM
its a good thing we got big ben now lets plug him in at guard and let charlie batch play QB

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 02:44 PM
BAYz, please don't say Foster, hell if it means anything look at Legursky, please no Foster, hell no Legursky, let's find something during the cuts, not Foster or Legursky, damnit thought the OL was turning the page, hell is Faneca available???? :banging:

Who ya gonna call?:thumbsup:

http://howtowatchsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ChrisKemoeatu_2.jpg

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 02:48 PM

OMG, I think I just threw up in my mouth, when I spit it out I actually said "holding" and felt the need to repeat it four times, like in one game, don't know what came over me just now?????

Buddha Bus
08-26-2012, 02:49 PM

AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!!!!!!!

http://cdn.videogum.com/files/2011/12/raiders2.gif

GoFor7
08-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Yeah...... Foster doesn't seem so bad now.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Yeah, Faneca is available, although he's better suited at Tight End these days...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/alanfaneca.jpg

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah, Faneca is available, although he's better suited at Tight End these days...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/alanfaneca.jpg

BAYz, a couple of "Roethlisberger" sandwiches, he'll be ready after the bye week, or give him the vet minimum and have Casey Hampton take him in as a roommate.

NLong725
08-26-2012, 03:46 PM
UPDATE: Sunday, August 26 at 1:12 p.m. ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter continues to report the latest on David DeCastro's devastating injury.

"Steelers g David DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to patellar tendon. But his anterior cruciate ligament is intact, according to sources and Steelers still are unsure if or when he will be able to return this season."

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
UPDATE: Sunday, August 26 at 1:12 p.m. ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter continues to report the latest on David DeCastro's devastating injury.

"Steelers g David DeCastro dislocated his knee cap, tore his medial collateral ligament and suffered some damage to patellar tendon. But his anterior cruciate ligament is intact, according to sources and Steelers still are unsure if or when he will be able to return this season."

Good night, thank God he still has his thigh and shin bone, DAMNIT!!!!!!! :banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

MasterOfPuppets
08-26-2012, 03:50 PM
the football gods have condemned the steelers to always have a shitty oline...:doh:.... maybe a sacrifice of some sort would appease them...:noidea:

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 04:01 PM
the football gods have condemned the steelers to always have a shitty oline...:doh:.... maybe a sacrifice of some sort would appease them...:noidea:

Wasn't that why Arians was fired and Kemo was released?:noidea:

GoFor7
08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
From PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/26/source-decastro-out-3-5-months/

Source: DeCastro is expected to miss 3-5 months
Posted by Mike Florio on August 26, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT

We’ve gotten some clarity regarding the knee injury suffered by Steelers guard David DeCastro. And it’s not good.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, DeCastro is expected to miss three-to-five months with various injuries in his right knee. Though the official diagnosis will come via a Monday MRI, we’re told that DeCastro currently is believed to have a torn MCL, a dislocated kneecap, and a partially torn patellar tendon.

DeCastro suffered the injury when teammate Marcus Gilbert fell on DeCastro’s leg. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has blamed it on the FieldTurf at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Prior reports about DeCastro’s condition had been somewhat conflicting. We’re confident that the latest reflects the pre-MRI diagnosis.

Lady Steel
08-26-2012, 05:00 PM
The Steelers just can't seem to catch a break. :shake01:

Feel so badly for DeCastro. Here's to a speedy recovery. :tt:

vindrow
08-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Heh, Florio says...take what this guy says with a big grain of salt.

FrancoLambert
08-26-2012, 05:15 PM
This really sucks. Our weakest unit definitely upgraded by his presence and it's gone.
Meaningless preseason game, big load falling on him, and his season is done.
So many hopes for a much improved running game.
Just think of his growth from day 1, "he's struggling" to the more recent comments "he's coming along fine" (and we saw it).
I saw it as an incredible stroke of good luck when he fell to us.
And now this.
Hey, Foster's a decent backup, it could be worse. But, damn.......:crying01:

OX1947
08-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Im beginning to think the 18 game schedule and 2 preseason game thing might not be a bad idea. God help me for agreeing with that monstrosity.

steelfury02
08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
just think positively - our favorite team has gone through some suffering and setbacks, and I think it will lead to a huge payoff in the form of #7

We can overcome this. I just can't think about Decastro - it sickens me too much with our history at O-line

Let's just keep pluggin :thumbsup:

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 06:13 PM
The Patellar dislocation (Kneecap) and MCL injury will be rehabbed together, and probably healed by week Eleven. That's just my estimation, and i'm by no means a professional with this. Just being realistic. However, it's been reported that there's damage to the Patellar Tendon, and if that damage is a rupture, he's done for the season.

In some cases a Patellar rupture is worse than an ACL tear, so lets pray that the damage to that particular tendon is at a minimum. I'd rather him sit this year out, to be honest. I do NOT want him back unless he's 100%. Not for performance reasons either. I could give a shit about performance, I just hope the guy is okay.

NLong725
08-26-2012, 06:26 PM
i just want to wish him a speedy recovery and cant wait for him to make a full return

Vis
08-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I would put him on IR. We need the roster spot. And then look for OL cuts for cap reasons.

pittpete
08-26-2012, 06:59 PM
I would put him on IR. We need the roster spot. And then look for OL cuts for cap reasons.

yup,let the man heal and dont rush him back...

Fire Haley
08-26-2012, 07:37 PM
dislocated kneecap, torn MCL, and partially torn patellar tendon in his right knee

it's shredded - we'll be lucky if he is healthy enough to go next year

Hawaii 5-0
08-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Starkey: Bad night in Buffalo

By Joe Starkey
Published: Sunday, August 26, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=8ynhP ZEQh1kymONDCE51VM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsq6rb3TXD44ki xzHr6q7cSWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers' David DeCastro goes down against the Bills and is carted off in the first quarter at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- As the theory goes, the third exhibition game is the important one. The one that might tell us something about the season ahead.

Except that it rarely does.

The only real objective, as always in the NFL’s silly season, is to avoid injuries to key players — and the big story here was the potentially severe right knee injury sustained by Steelers rookie guard David DeCastro, who was carted off just 3:11 into the game.

Veteran defensive end Brett Keisel left with a possible high-ankle sprain, though he told me afterward, “It’s no problem.”

DeCastro’s injury alone made this the worst 38-7 victory imaginable.

If Bruce Arians were still the Steelers’ offensive coordinator, the masses would be enraged. They’d be ripping him for calling four straight passes to open the game, including a first-down attempt that sent Ben Roethlisberger into his end zone on the Steelers’ second series.

What happened to re-establishing the run?

They’d be screaming that if the Steelers ran the ball from inside their 5 to open that series, then maybe they wouldn’t have been faced with a 3rd-and-8 from their 6, and maybe DeCastro wouldn’t have crumpled to the turf pass-blocking.

But that’s all talk-show fodder for another day.

The halfway-good news for the Steelers and new offensive coordinator Todd Haley is that they have a capable replacement in Ramon Foster. Not a great one, mind you, but at least Foster has experience, and winning experience at that.

The Steelers also saw Max Starks once again emerge from mothballs to do a commendable job at left tackle. I have come to believe that Starks will never, ever be replaced. He will be the Steelers’ left tackle when he is 72.

“I had one mental error,” Starks said. “Other than that, everything felt good.”

So even if the third exhibition game usually predicts nothing from a team perspective, it can lend insight on individuals …

• Roethlisberger was at his best in the no-huddle at the end of the first half. For all the talk of a rejuvenated running game, a full-time fullback, smash-mouth football, blah, blah, blah, the Steelers will again live and die with their star quarterback. As it should be. Big Ben was spectacular in directing a 98-yard touchdown drive in just 1:33.

• Loved Ben’s quote: “I just started calling my own plays.” That is his mandate in the no-huddle. You better believe Haley is smart enough to let Ben take over at times.

• Willie Colon did a dead-on Chris Kemoeatu impression on the first series. Kyle Williams, who killed Kemoeatu here two years ago, beat Colon inside and forced Roethlisberger out of the pocket. Mario Williams sacked him.

• Byron Leftwich might be slower than Rod Barajas, but he can be my backup quarterback anytime.

• Antonio Brown stayed in way too long, well into the third quarter. What was Mike Tomlin thinking?

• Lawrence Timmons used that scary closing burst to crush quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick on the Bills’ first series. Timmons — who had seven sacks in 2009 but has only five since — should be utilized more as a pass rusher, especially if James Harrison misses time.

• A toned-up Ziggy Hood looks like a difference-maker. He and Cameron Heyward traded big hits on the quarterback. A young, frisky defensive line could be in the making.

• Isaac Redman was stuffed on a third-and-1, but he scored — mostly on account of his own willpower — on a third-and-goal from the 2. That play, incidentally, saw the Steelers line up with no fewer than four tight ends. Only Mark Bruener was not utilized.

• I noticed Chris Carter twice in the first half — once when he lucked into a sack after Fitzpatrick was flushed, once when he beat running back Fred Jackson’s block to get a hit on Fitzpatrick. Otherwise, rookie tackle Cordy Glenn owned him.

• The special teams, as Tomlin might put it, were “below the line” in the first game without coach Al Everest.

Not that it means much. The third exhibition game rarely does — except when a team sustains a major injury.

Then it’s always a loss.

http://triblive.com/sports/2453647-74/starkey-joe-steelers-game-third-ben-decastro-injury-quarterback-series

Hawaii 5-0
08-26-2012, 08:07 PM
David DeCastro Out 3-5 Months, According To Report

Aug 26
by Steve Uhlmann

The Pittsburgh Steelers received troubling news about their first-round pick from the 2012 NFL Draft, as offensive lineman David DeCastro is going to miss 3-5 months with a torn MCL and a dislocated kneecap, according to Pro Football Talk.

DeCastro suffered the injury during the team's preseason game with the Buffalo Bills Saturday when his right leg buckled backwards while he was engaged with a defender.

This is a huge blow to the team, which was depending on the NFL-ready prospect to help improve the Steelers' offensive line in 2012. The offensive line appears to be suspect yet again after the injury, as Pete Wilmoth of SB Nation Pittsburgh writes:

"Fellow rookie lineman Mike Adams does not appear ready to take on NFL-caliber pass rushers and is battling some (infinitely less severe) knee issues of his own, leaving Max Starks to protect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's blind side at left tackle. Meanwhile, with and without DeCastro last night, the interior line struggled against the Bills' terrific front four."

Wilmoth says that fans should expect to see more quick passes that will keep from Roethlisberger relying on the line to allow plays to develop.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/8/26/3270289/david-decastro-injury-status-update

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 08:11 PM
In some cases a Patellar rupture is worse than an ACL tear, so lets pray that the damage to that particular tendon is at a minimum. I'd rather him sit this year out, to be honest. I do NOT want him back unless he's 100%. Not for performance reasons either. I could give a shit about performance, I just hope the guy is okay.

Yep - ruptured patellar tendon in the 1996 season opener with Jacksonville effectively ended Greg Lloyd's career

This is not Aaron Smith running on fumes at the end of his career - Steelers presumably are not going to risk DeCastro's long term future to perhaps get him some playing time after Thanksgiving - put him on IR and hope for better days for DeCastro in 2013

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Yep - ruptured patellar tendon in the 1996 season opener with Jacksonville effectively ended Greg Lloyd's career

This is not Aaron Smith running on fumes at the end of his career - Steelers presumably are not going to risk DeCastro's long term future to perhaps get him some playing time after Thanksgiving - put him on IR and hope for better days for DeCastro in 2013

Prime example, and I couldn't agree with you anymore. Keep him out this year, and hopefully he can pick some things up from the veterans during his rehabilitation.

casteeler
08-26-2012, 08:28 PM
I agree, no rush on DeCastros return. With that said whats next for the Steeler offensive line? Everyone here should agree the O line was the weakness of the 2011 Steelers team so if the Steelers want to compete in arguably the best division in football what should the F.O do? The Steelers do not have suitable replacement linemen in house to just plug and play (if you will). Would the Steelers be better off trading a desirable player for a lineman? I don't wanna see a repeat of last years train wreck of an o-line that couldn't even be considered protection

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 08:42 PM
I agree, no rush on DeCastros return. With that said whats next for the Steeler offensive line? Everyone here should agree the O line was the weakness of the 2011 Steelers team so if the Steelers want to compete in arguably the best division in football what should the F.O do? The Steelers do not have suitable replacement linemen in house to just plug and play (if you will). Would the Steelers be better off trading a desirable player for a lineman? I don't wanna see a repeat of last years train wreck of an o-line that couldn't even be considered protection

Difference in this years line is a healthy, mean and MONSTER Willie Colon. Ramon Foster should be fine in DeCastro's place. Don't pay attention to Foster's preseason play, it's never an indication of bad regular season play on his part. He'll be fine.

lardlad
08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
I think all the work we've seen them do on short pays, the oline will not be the same liability it was. I don't expect great things, but with better play calling, I see the O being more productive, chewing clock and resting our D.

zcoop
08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
We'll be fine, as Bayz noted the line is not as banged up as we have been.

teegre
08-26-2012, 09:05 PM

DISAGREE. It was the staph infection that Lloyd got while in the hospital for the tendon that ended his career.

AGREE. Why rush him back??? Let him fully heal... else risk completely ruining his knee (via an already weakened MCL & patella tendon).

BETTER...BUT NOT GREAT. This O-line is better than last year's and/or 2008's. It could have been great (with DD), but with The Colon replacing Kemo, it is indeed better.

BIG BEN: And, as I have stated: as long as BB is playing, the Steelers are contenders to win every single year. [Obviosuly, keeping him healthy is important... and DD would have helped with that. Regardelss, not be redundant, The Colon improves upon this ability to keep BB upright.]

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 09:59 PM
DISAGREE. It was the staph infection that Lloyd got while in the hospital for the tendon that ended his career.

Agree to disagree :drink:

Lloyd was in sharp decline before his late season 1997 injury when he got the staph infection from some sketchty treatment- before the 1996 patellar tendon injury he was the James Harrison of his day - afterwards he was pedestrian

His pre-1996 and post-1996 stats tell the story

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LloyGr00.htm

ricardisimo
08-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Not sure if it's already been stated, but there might be a silver lining of sorts to this, if DeCastro is forced to do it the "Steelers' Way" and mostly watch and learn from the sidelines his rookie year. Trying to focus on the positive here.

teegre
08-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Agree to disagree :drink:

Lloyd was in sharp decline before his late season 1997 injury when he got the staph infection from some sketchty treatment- before the 1996 patellar tendon injury he was the James Harrison of his day - afterwards he was pedestrian

His pre-1996 and post-1996 stats tell the story

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LloyGr00.htm

Not to be argumentative (we can agree to disagree)...
...but, the staph infection, which caused him to lose twenty pounds (& almost die), resulted DURING his treatment/rehab for the torn tendon.  [The events were academically "simultaneous."]  

Ergo, once he returned (after the tear, as well as after the staph infection), he was never the same.  But... what caused his drop off???  Was it the tear?  Or, was it the staph infection?  

[That is indeed an interesting question... because, up until now, I would have said that it was the staph infection... but, truly, there is NO way to determine which was actually the culprit.]  

I say: po-tay-to.  
You say: po-tah-to.  
And, some teenager says: Who's Greg Lloyd???  

Fire Arians
08-26-2012, 11:48 PM
line should be a lot better this year if colon can stay healthy. weak link last year was kemoeatu and colon is a huge upgrade

Hawaii 5-0
08-26-2012, 11:50 PM

Answer: "Greg Lloyd is undoubtedly one of the greatest Pittsburgh Steelers LBers ever!" :tt02:

http://sportsocracy.org/imgs/greg-lloyd1.jpg

PhantomJB93
08-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Yeah if Colon stays healthy it will be vastly improved. Having Starks from the get-go will help too, I honestly think we win the Texans game last year with him and at least keep the first Ravens game close. DeCastro is a huge loss though, he is what actually was going to make this line a "strength" of the team, now it will just be average. But with Colon finally playing inside and Starks on the outside to start the season instead of Jonathan Scott, it's still a tremendously improved line from the start of 2011.

teegre
08-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Answer: "Greg Lloyd is undoubtedly one of the greatest Pittsburgh Steelers LBers ever!" :tt02:

http://sportsocracy.org/imgs/greg-lloyd1.jpg

I couldn't agree more.  

Of course... my dad swears by Jack Ham, and my brother avows that it's Jack Lambert.  But, you & I know that they are both wrong.  

My favorite Greg Lloyd moment: him running into the offensive huddle, and yelling, "You better mutha f*ckin' score!!!"  

My second favorite moment: opening day 1994, turning to Dallas' sideline, and saying clearly, calmly, but with vigor: "Don't run that sh*t to my side (of the field)"... and Dallas not running a play in that direction for the remainder of the game.  

teegre
08-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah if Colon stays healthy it will be vastly improved. Having Starks from the get-go will help too, I honestly think we win the Texans game last year with him and at least keep the first Ravens game close. DeCastro is a huge loss though, he is what actually was going to make this line a "strength" of the team, now it will just be average. But with Colon finally playing inside and Starks on the outside to start the season instead of Jonathan Scott, it's still a tremendously improved line from the start of 2011.

Very well put.  I tried to say that (but I failed).  Kudos.  

With DD: a strength.  

With The Colon & Starks AND without J.Scott & Kemo:  indeed, much better.  

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 12:18 AM
overlooked is that ramon foster was(is) having a damn good camp and preseason. didnt give up his job w/o a fight. now he's got it back. time to make the most of it.

teegre
08-27-2012, 12:31 AM
overlooked is that ramon foster was(is) having a damn good camp and preseason. didnt give up his job w/o a fight. now he's got it back. time to make the most of it.

Great point.

Nothing breeds success like a little friendly competition... as well as fearing for one's job... and a dash of not going down without a fight.

Steelersfan87
08-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Foster played MUCH better in the second preseason game than he did in the first one. He struggled a bit at times against the Bills, but he was thrown into the game unexpectedly and facing a top 3 defensive front. That Williams-Dareus-Williams trio is going to make a lot of great linemen look bad this year. Bottom line is Foster can hold his own, and he's still a player on the rise. Obviously he's far closer to his "ceiling" than DeCastro is, but he can get the job done, especially with 1) having position stability for the first time in his career, 2) having better talent in general around him, and 3) playcalling that facilitates a quicker release of the ball and puts the linemen in a better chance of success in the ground game. Of course I'm with everybody in the "losing DeCastro sucks horribly" camp, but it hardly puts a dent in my hopes for a super bowl title this season.

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 12:53 AM
i think pouncey was a missing ingredient that helped pave the way for a sb run in '10. certainly felt the same about decastro this year.

it really does suck. its like getting penalized and having goodell take away our 1st round draft pick as punishment for patriots losing the superbowl. and we get to watch hightower go make splash plays on their roster all season. :dang:

but it is, what it is, and we move on. fosters gotta step it up and hopefully we've gotten our bad luck outta the way for the year.

can alawalmart taamu play guard?

TheVet
08-27-2012, 01:28 AM
The Vet,

regardless of Bens success, he has been hurt most every year, because he gets hit so much. We want Ben around 6-8 more years, getting hit 80 times a year is not good for a QB.

Some of you can blame Ben all you want for extending the play, that is what makes him successful, but this group as a whole, historically can't block.

Oh, I agree completely. I can't stand not having an OL. These past five years have been maddening. Winning that last SB vs. Arizona was a frigging miracle.

TheVet
08-27-2012, 01:47 AM

Wasn't that why Arians was fired and Kemo was released?:noidea:

The Gods require a sacrifice of value.

:evil::evil:

Vis
08-27-2012, 06:41 AM
The next steps will be difficult ones for rookie David DeCastro.

First, there will be surgery on his knee, then the grueling rehabilitation period followed by dreary workout routines to return his body back to the form it had been before that damaging second offense series by the Steelers Saturday night in Buffalo.

If he needs any comfort, he could find it in veterans Max Starks and Byron Leftwich. They've been there.

Starks departed the Steelers' playoff loss on Jan. 8 in Denver with an ACL injury that required surgery and all that rehab. Incredibly, eight months later, he will open the season as the team's starting left tackle, again in Denver.

"I told him if there's anything he needs or questions asked, I'm here," Starks said after DeCastro's injury dimmed the Steelers' 38-7 preseason victory. "It really stinks because he was doing really well."

DeCastro, the Steelers' 2012 first-round draft choice, has what Mike Tomlin called severe damage in his right knee. There are conflicting reports on just what that damage is, but instead of opening the season as the team's starting right guard, his rookie season could be over.

Leftwich has been there, too. He was scheduled to start the first four games of the '10 season while Ben Roethlisberger served a suspension, but a knee injury in the fourth preseason game ended that. He ultimately returned but played only a mop-up role in the final regular-season game.

Again last season, Leftwich was No. 2 until his left arm was broken in the third preseason game. The Steelers put him on injured reserve and he missed the '11 season.

Leftwich had a more satisfying third preseason game Saturday in Buffalo as he re-establishes himself as one of the best backup quarterbacks in the league. He completed 5 of 8 passes for 105 yards, one touchdown of 39 yards to Antonio Brown, a near-perfect 145.8 passer rating and led his offense to 24 points in the second half.

"I think he was excited," offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. "He hasn't played a bunch. He told me, 'I've only thrown three balls in the last two years.' He's right. We tried to get him some opportunities to make plays."

He did that. He pinpointed his first pass of the game to Brown over two defenders in the middle of the end zone. Almost as impressive was the one he slung to Brown along the sideline that carried 22 yards.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lineman-david-decastro-faces-long-road-after-knee-injury-650629/#ixzz24kJ25qwE

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Again. I will probably be angry, if anything, if he ISN'T on injured reserve soon. I don't want to see him even ATTEMPT to come back this year, although it's likely he won't be fully recovered in time anyway. Just sit it out David, we need you next year.

BGSU A Dub
08-27-2012, 07:08 AM
I HATE preseason. Dammit, this sucks.

Steelers>NFL
08-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Try to look on the positive side. We still have the most valuable player that has the biggest impact on whether the Steelers go play/and win the Super Bowl. BIG BEN...

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Not to be argumentative (we can agree to disagree)...
...but, the staph infection, which caused him to lose twenty pounds (& almost die), resulted DURING his treatment/rehab for the torn tendon.  [The events were academically "simultaneous."]  

Ergo, once he returned (after the tear, as well as after the staph infection), he was never the same.  But... what caused his drop off???  Was it the tear?  Or, was it the staph infection?  

[That is indeed an interesting question... because, up until now, I would have said that it was the staph infection... but, truly, there is NO way to determine which was actually the culprit.]  

I say: po-tay-to.  
You say: po-tah-to.  

Agreed you and I are discussing a player that is just a name in the record book to younger fans:chuckle:

Actually he returned as a diminshed player in 1997, following the 1996 tendon injury, injured a hamstring in a late November 2007 game against Philadelphia and developed the staph infection after getting an injection and/or accupuncture treatmnets for the injured hamstring

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19980603&id=NpYNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=E3ADAAAAIBAJ&pg=5884,592026

FWIW Ed. B. of the P-G cites Greg Lloyd as an example of a patella injury that can be a career changer

An ACL tear might be preferable to the nerve damage that can be caused by other injuries to the knee, especially if it’s the patella and nerve damage. Ask Greg Lloyd or Tony Boselli who suffered such injuries and were never the same.

https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

teegre
08-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Agreed you and I are discussing a player that is just a name in the record book to younger fans:chuckle:

Actually he returned as a diminshed player in 1997, following the 1996 tendon injury, injured a hamstring in a late November 2007 game against Philadelphia and developed the staph infection after getting an injection and/or accupuncture treatmnets for the injured hamstring

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19980603&id=NpYNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=E3ADAAAAIBAJ&pg=5884,592026

FWIW Ed. B. of the P-G cites Greg Lloyd as an example of a patella injury that can be a career changer

An ACL tear might be preferable to the nerve damage that can be caused by other injuries to the knee, especially if it’s the patella and nerve damage. Ask Greg Lloyd or Tony Boselli who suffered such injuries and were never the same.

I stand corrected.  

The patella injury started the ball rolling, and the staph infection simply finished him off.  

Using a horse analogy: the patella injury was the broken leg, and the staph infection was the bullet.  

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I stand corrected.  

The patella injury started the ball rolling, and the staph infection simply finished him off.  

Using a horse analogy: the patella injury was the broken leg, and the staph infection was the bullet.  

Well, the Patellar injury may have very well ended his career either way. It's not easy to come back from, especially if you're a 9-10 year veteran.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2012, 08:32 AM
The sky is falling stories are starting - this in Peter King's MMQB column this morning

The Steelers get a bad, bad injury. One of the best guards to come out of college football in years, David DeCastro was playing like a five-year vet for Pittsburgh in the preseason. Now he's out, likely for the year, with a torn MCL and dislocated kneecap suffered Saturday night in Buffalo. The Steelers drafted DeCastro first and tackle Mike Adams (who has been poor in preseason tests) second in April, and now they may get zilch out of both this season. Left to right, the Steeler front looks like Max Starks, Willie Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster and Marcus Gilbert ... not exactly the retooled lined they had in mind in the spring.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/08/26/mmqb/index.html

From struggling rookie a few weeks ago we now have "playing like a 5 year vet" - it will be "All Pro guard DeCastro lost for season" soon

steelfury02
08-27-2012, 08:35 AM
My feelings immediately after Haley hire:

- Haley will play to our strengths, and plan against the competition's weaknesses
- Haley will make actual in-game adjustments
- Haley has been salivating to have another great QB since Warner, now that he has one, he is going to do what he can to protect the guy, while still letting him be himself
= Automatic improvement, even with same o-line

I have reason to believe that Adams will serve as a capable backup this year, improving as the season goes along, and who knows, might make the big leap if thrown into the fire

The Decastro injury sucks paint thinner, but we still are going to be a couple of notches better than last season in terms of protection. The mere fact that it was a pain point with ownership, coaches, and Haley and a source of focus this offseason should equate to better results

Steelerfreak58
08-27-2012, 09:10 AM
This makes me sad.

TRH
08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
The sky is falling stories are starting - this in Peter King's MMQB column this morning

The Steelers get a bad, bad injury. One of the best guards to come out of college football in years, David DeCastro was playing like a five-year vet for Pittsburgh in the preseason. Now he's out, likely for the year, with a torn MCL and dislocated kneecap suffered Saturday night in Buffalo. The Steelers drafted DeCastro first and tackle Mike Adams (who has been poor in preseason tests) second in April, and now they may get zilch out of both this season. Left to right, the Steeler front looks like Max Starks, Willie Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster and Marcus Gilbert ... not exactly the retooled lined they had in mind in the spring.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/08/26/mmqb/index.html

From struggling rookie a few weeks ago we now have "playing like a 5 year vet" - it will be "All Pro guard DeCastro lost for season" soon

yeah.....although there are hints of truth to what he says somewhat (like the line looks like what we had before......not exactly what we had in mind), the exaggerations will spew like no other. Then after "all-pro", it will be that "we lost what could be a potential hall-of-famer..".

TRH
08-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Again. I will probably be angry, if anything, if he ISN'T on injured reserve soon. I don't want to see him even ATTEMPT to come back this year, although it's likely he won't be fully recovered in time anyway. Just sit it out David, we need you next year.

absolutely i agree.
My only worry now is if he'll even have a career here.....at all. He could rehabilitate, but there's a chance too, that he'll never be the same. Damnit.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-27-2012, 11:03 AM
absolutely i agree.
My only worry now is if he'll even have a career here.....at all. He could rehabilitate, but there's a chance too, that he'll never be the same. Damnit.

I dont buy that worry at all. Offensive line is technique, strength, intelligence and desire. DeCastro has the intelligence and technique to be back, just strengthen his MCL after surgery and you will not notice any dropoff.

I am still optimistic that having Colon back and a 2nd year wiser Marcus Gilbert will be an improvement over last year. Adams needs to learn how to play guard if he wants to dress on gameday and at this point, I would be liking it better if Adams was active on sundays instead of Essex.

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 11:07 AM
absolutely i agree.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that, he's young. If he was an six or seven year veteran, THEN you could start worrying. As long as his Patellar tendon isn't heavily damaged, he'll be fine.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Accordiing to Ed.B. of the P-G the steelers will wait until DeCastro's surgery to decide whether he goes on IR

On another note, the Steelers are waiting until after David DeCastro has surgery on his right knee to determine whether they can hold a roster spot open for him or not. It would probably entail holding it for at least half the season and that’s if everything lines up right. But here’s the theory on that: Who is the team’s ninth and final offensive lineman on the roster anyway, John Malecki?

And if you can have DeCastro back even for later in the season, they feel it would benefit both him and the team for him to be able to practice and even play. If he goes on IR, he can do neither, even when healthy.

Since not putting Aaron Smith on IR in 2010 worked out so well, why not do it again:noidea:

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome

MasterOfPuppets
08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
kemo is still available....:noidea:

how sad is it ,when our long time starters can't generate any interest from other teams..even as back ups? :banging:

starks, hartwig, kemo.......

Hawaii 5-0
08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
DeCastro to have surgery later this week

Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/610x-722-e1346095971337.jpg?w=227

As the Steelers move toward preparations for their Week One showdown with the Broncos, their first-round pick is preparing for knee surgery.

A source with knowledge of the situation tell PFT that DeCastro will have surgery later this week to repair a knee that was injured during Saturday night’s preseason game against the Bills.

DeCastro has a torn MCL, a dislocated kneecap, and an injury to the patellar tendon. He is expected to miss three-to-five months.

The Steelers will have to decide whether to place DeCastro on injured reserve or keep him on the active roster after Friday’s deadline for dropping to 53 players. If the NFL and NFLPA had reached an agreement regarding a change in the injured reserve rules, DeCastro could have been placed on injured reserve for six weeks, with the ability to return later in the season.

In 1995, the Steelers held a roster spot for cornerback Rod Woodson for the entire season, and he eventually played in Super Bowl XXX.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/27/decastro-to-have-surgery-later-this-week/

Fire Arians
08-27-2012, 03:50 PM
they should IR him, they don't need to take unnecessary risks with the kid's career. I could understand saving a roster spot for him if he was already an 8 year veteran who knew the offense like the back of his hand, but this isn't the case. let him fully recover and gear for being ready for the next season.

Steelerfreak58
08-27-2012, 03:52 PM
they should IR him, they don't need to take unnecessary risks with the kid's career. I could understand saving a roster spot for him if he was already an 8 year veteran who knew the offense like the back of his hand, but this isn't the case. let him fully recover and gear for being ready for the next season.

Exactly.

Steelersfan87
08-27-2012, 05:16 PM
I am still optimistic that having Colon back and a 2nd year wiser Marcus Gilbert will be an improvement over last year. Adams needs to learn how to play guard if he wants to dress on gameday and at this point, I would be liking it better if Adams was active on sundays instead of Essex.

This. All of this.

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
maybe the bills will give is craig urbick back...

FrancoLambert
08-27-2012, 08:58 PM

:applaudit:
Don't make a bad situation worse.
Let him heal fully, rehab, study, and get hungrier.

teegre
08-27-2012, 10:11 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19941828/steelers-g-david-decastro-to-have-surgery-wont-go-on-ir

Good news...???

I am happy that it's not as severe as I had thought... but, I still don't want to risk his career (via rushing him back).

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 10:24 PM
i think there may be a bit of a knee jerk (no pun intended) over reaction by the message board doctors in regards to decastro's injuy.

he will have surgery, rub some dirt on it, and then the best medical advice available to mankind, will determine in which direction he goes (final decision doesnt need to be made until friday).

its a knee injury.

i am much more concerned with clark if he were going to play in denver or troys next concussion.

beer72
08-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Get Back soon DD :tt04:

Hawaii 5-0
08-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Steelers deal with loss of DeCastro

By F. Dale Lolley
8/28/12

PITTSBURGH - For the Steelers, the news about rookie guard David DeCastro’s knee injury is as good as can be expected.

DeCastro will have surgery Wednesday on his right knee, which he injured in the first quarter of Saturday night’s 38-7 preseason victory over the Buffalo Bills, and the Steelers are holding out hope that the rookie won’t be lost for the season.

DeCastro suffered a torn MCL and dislocated knee cap, but his ACL is believed to be intact. At this point, at least, there are no plans for the Steelers to place their first-round draft pick on injured reserve, which would end his season.

“He looks up(beat), but David doesn’t show too much,” said Ramon Foster, who will replace DeCastro as the starter at right guard. “I definitely think he’ll be back before long.”

Foster had opened training camp atop the depth chart at right guard, but DeCastro had played his way into the starting position.

“It’s not as big a blow as everybody is saying,” said Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey. “Ramon started every game for us there last year. Everybody’s trying to make it seem like we don’t have anybody at all. I know (DeCastro) is a first-round draft pick and was playing at a high level and was starting, but we’ve got other guys who can play.”

Foster started one game at left guard and 13 at right guard for the Steelers in 2011. Since making the team as an undrafted free agent out of Tennessee in 2009, he has appeared in 41 games, making 26 starts.

“It’s unfortunate that David got injured, but I’m the next man up,” Foster said. “It bumps me back into the starting lineup. It’s just good to be that guy. The more you can do,’ is one of coach Mike Tomlin’s main things, and it’s shown a lot lately, at least since I’ve been here and the other guys, too.”

For the Steelers, shuffling the offensive line is nothing new.

Injuries and ineffectiveness forced them to use nine different starting offensive line combinations in 2011. That was one fewer combination than they used in 2010.

Still, Tomlin said, it’s not easy for teammates to continually see guys get injured.

“Yeah, there’s a deflation,” Tomlin admitted. “The guy is injured, and you feel sorry for him on a personal level. Professionally, we understand that this is as much a part of the game as blocking and tackling. So, we move on.”

In other news Monday, holdout wide receiver Mike Wallace had problems getting to Pittsburgh because of Tropical Storm Isaac. He was expected to arrive in Pittsburgh last night and will sign his $2.74 million tender offer from the team today.

Per NFL rules, Wallace will not be permitted to practice with the team until three days after he signs his contract.

“I’m looking forward to seeing him, even though he has to wait three days to practice,” said wide receiver Antonio Brown. “Hopefully, we can keep him after practice and run a couple sprints and get him on board and all hands on deck for this journey we’re about to embark on.”

Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (back), right tackle Marcus Gilbert (calf), defensive end Brett Keisel (ankle), running back Isaac Redman (ankle) and linebacker LaMarr Woodley (ankle) did not practice Monday. The Steelers released 15 players Monday to trim their roster to 75. Released were Ryan Baker, defensive tackle Mike Blanc, wide receiver Paul Cox, cornerback Andre Freeman, kicker Daniel Hrapmann, linebacker Mortty Ivy (Waived/Injured List), offensive lineman Kyle Jolly, long snapper Matt Katula, tight end Jamie McCoy, cornerback Walter McFadden, tight end Justin Peelle, safety Myron Rolle, wide receiver Juamorris Stewart, defensive tackle Kade Weston and wide receiver Jimmy Young. The team will trim its roster to 53 following Thursday night’s game at Heinz Field against Carolina. The Steelers claimed running back DeJuan Harris off waivers from Jacksonville. Harris, a second-year player, had 42 yards on nine carries and returned 14 kickoffs for a 22.0-yard average in 2011.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/Steelers-DeCastro

Hawaii 5-0
08-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Situation of Steelers' top pick muddles roster

August 30, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/242/254/david-decastro_420.jpg

Steelers rookie right guard David DeCastro is taken off the field on a cart after injuring his right knee against Buffalo in the first quarter Saturday at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The knee injury to rookie guard David DeCastro is not as serious as first believed and it is possible he could return at some point this season. But it has made a tricky situation just a bit more precarious for the Steelers.

That's because DeCastro, the team's No. 1 pick, is the latest in a line of injured players who will impact the decisions made on the 53-man roster.

The Steelers have to cut their roster to 53 players on Friday or at any point after tonight's final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field. But they have several injured starters they will have to carry on the roster who won't be able to play for a couple more weeks -- or even longer.

DeCastro is one, or could be, pending the results of the surgery he had Wednesday on his injured right knee. (The Steelers did not release any update on the surgery.) Another is running back Rashard Mendenhall, who is coming off surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and is still waiting to practice.

Then there is inside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, the top backup to Larry Foote and Lawrence Timmons, He will be out two more weeks with a sprained medial collateral ligament.

The situation gained a little more clarity Tuesday when Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison (knee) and top backup Jason Worilds (wrist) were taken off the physically-unable-to-perform list. Both players are scheduled to return to practice Monday for the first time since the spring and, barring any setback, should play in the season opener in Denver.

And that doesn't even include nose tackle Casey Hampton, who hasn't played in a game since having ACL surgery in January. Hampton could play tonight. The team gets a roster exemption for tight end Weslye Saunders, who will serve a four-week suspension to begin the season for violating the league's banned substance policy.

"There's always a problem getting to that 53," coach Mike Tomlin said. "That is the challenge that is the National Football League. We understand it and embrace it, and I think our guys do as well."

It is possible the Steelers could elect to put DeCastro on injured reserve, ending his season. But, by carrying at least two players who will not play for a while, the Steelers might have to keep fewer players than usual at other positions. And one of those could be at quarterback, where veteran Charlie Batch might be the odd man out.

Batch, 37, is scheduled to get a lot of playing time against the Panthers, but the Steelers may not be in position to keep three quarterbacks -- something they have traditionally done because of the importance they place on the position. Byron Leftwich cemented his position as the backup to Ben Roethlisberger with an impressive showing last week in Buffalo, creating a situation where Batch could possibly be playing his final game with the Steelers tonight.

If the Steelers release Batch, a Homestead native and Steel Valley High School graduate, they will try to put Jarrod Johnson on the practice squad to give them a scout-team quarterback for practice. Of course, they could always release Batch and then re-sign him when the status of their injured players is much clearer.

"We've got some tough decisions to make," Tomlin said. "But if we do our job and they do their job, those decisions are always tough."

Battle at WR

The return of Pro Bowl wide receiver Mike Wallace means offensive coordinator Todd Haley needs to find only one player from his crop of rookies or free agents to be the No. 5 receiver.

Right now, the battle appears to be between David Gilreath, a first-year free agent from Wisconsin; and Derrick Williams, a third-year free agent from Penn State.

"We got a lot of guys still trying to make this team and we're still in the evaluation process for a lot of young guys fighting for their NFL lives right now," Haley said.

One player Haley does not need to evaluate is rookie running back Chris Rainey, who has two long touchdowns in the preseason and will be used as a situational player in the regular season.

"That's why they drafted me," said Rainey, a fifth-round pick from Florida who is listed at 5 feet 8, 178 pounds.

"Everybody has always said small guys can't do anything and I keep proving them wrong

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/situation-of-steelers-top-pick-muddles-roster-651063/#ixzz2506jGMdS