PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger, business as usual

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 07:49 AM
With 15 days to go until his team plays a meaningful game, Ben Roethlisberger already was in regular-season mode.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback sunk a knife into the Buffalo Bills on Saturday night with a two-minute drill for the (preseason) ages.

Starting on Pittsburgh's 2-yard line with just 1:46 remaining in the first half, Big Ben marched the Steelers on an 11-play, 98-yard drive in 1:33, capped by a 6-yard touchdown strike to Antonio Brown. Roethlisberger was 7-for-8 passing for 92 yards on a frantic run in which Bills coach Chan Gailey seemed to age seven years.

Roethlisberger's touchdown toss gave Pittsburgh a seven-point lead at halftime, and they eventually won 38-7.

"Well, I called the plays, and I can see what's going on defense," Roethlisberger told NFL.com and NFL Network's Kimberly Jones at halftime. "Guys made great plays. We had a running back make a catch on the sideline like a receiver. We utilized the middle of the field, guys got out of bounds and it saved us time. We only had one timeout, and we didn't have to use it until we got all the way down. So I think it was a pretty successful drive for us."

We've been beaten to near-death with cautionary words about offensive coordinator Todd Haley's run-heavy attack. When it mattered Saturday night, the Steelers' offense became Big Ben's playground. And that's really when this team shines.

Changing of the guard in the AFC North? Stand down.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...content_stream

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I called the plays."

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 09:32 AM
With 15 days to go until his team plays a meaningful game, Ben Roethlisberger already was in regular-season mode.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback sunk a knife into the Buffalo Bills on Saturday night with a two-minute drill for the (preseason) ages.

Starting on Pittsburgh's 2-yard line with just 1:46 remaining in the first half, Big Ben marched the Steelers on an 11-play, 98-yard drive in 1:33, capped by a 6-yard touchdown strike to Antonio Brown. Roethlisberger was 7-for-8 passing for 92 yards on a frantic run in which Bills coach Chan Gailey seemed to age seven years.

Roethlisberger's touchdown toss gave Pittsburgh a seven-point lead at halftime, and they eventually won 38-7.

"Well, I called the plays, and I can see what's going on defense," Roethlisberger told NFL.com and NFL Network's Kimberly Jones at halftime. "Guys made great plays. We had a running back make a catch on the sideline like a receiver. We utilized the middle of the field, guys got out of bounds and it saved us time. We only had one timeout, and we didn't have to use it until we got all the way down. So I think it was a pretty successful drive for us."

We've been beaten to near-death with cautionary words about offensive coordinator Todd Haley's run-heavy attack. When it mattered Saturday night, the Steelers' offense became Big Ben's playground. And that's really when this team shines.

Changing of the guard in the AFC North? Stand down.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...content_stream

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I called the plays."

Many people may disagree but I believe that Haley may have this offense turn the corner, if Wallace can get on board (different thread), this offense could very well be lethal, especially if the running back by committee issue can get resolved.

Ricco Suavez
08-26-2012, 12:44 PM
I will stand by what I am about to say, but, the Steelers had a good offense under Arians. What Haley needs to do is instill more discipline, less penalties, do not become one dimensional, and try not to be predictable. We were a productive offense last year it just did not translate in the red zone and if Haley can improve us in that one area we will be better than last year.

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Even before Ben became visibly pi**ed off at the end of the first half they were having trouble getting the plays in on time

Ben's answer to that was to call his own plays on the 99 yard drive - IMO he has a definite rapport with Cotchery

GoFor7
08-26-2012, 01:27 PM
I will stand by what I am about to say, but, the Steelers had a good offense under Arians. What Haley needs to do is instill more discipline, less penalties, do not become one dimensional, and try not to be predictable. We were a productive offense last year it just did not translate in the red zone and if Haley can improve us in that one area we will be better than last year.

Had Arians allowed Ben to use more no-huddle he may still have a job with the Steelers.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Had Arians allowed Ben to use more no-huddle he may still have a job with the Steelers.

Thank God he didn't and he is in Indy, now, I sure hope that there is more no huddle this year, if that is what it took to get rid of Arians, then good ridance, it was tough and the playoffs/SB and off-season sucked, but Thank You Bruce for screwing yourself out of a job and a one-way ticket out of Pittsburgh. Thank You Bruce!!!!

Twentyvalve
08-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Maybe he wanted to see how Ben would handle that? He wanted to "sit back and watch." If he had failed, Haley could say "Next time, I call the plays." But ti didn't, it was a masterfully executed drive by Ben and the rest of the team. So, what happens next time?

That drive is why I don't want any other QB on the Steelers right now. Granted, it was only the second quarter, but they were handling that scenario like the end of the game. You can keep you Brady's, your Drew Breeze, and your Double Discount whatever it is called, when it positively, absolutely, has to be there in 2 minutes I want #7 in there.

Hawaii 5-0
09-03-2012, 08:00 PM
At age 30, Steelers QB Roethlisberger in his prime

By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, September 3, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=en5p_ mBbt3kZOfTXweE6Kc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsZuu4tkyzuuyl C58cwKGlgWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger rears back to throw during practice at St. Vincent College during practice Aug. 1, 2012

Ben Roethlisberger looks to be in the prime of his career, throwing the ball with as much zip and accuracy as he ever has during his nine-season career, according to Steelers wide receivers. Mike Wallace didn’t need much time to notice.

“I haven’t been with Ben in a while, and his arm is stronger than when we left last year,” said Wallace, who practiced Monday for the first time since ending his offseason holdout. “He was throwing it pretty far.”

Roethlisberger passed for 4,077 yards last season — second in his career to his 4,328 yards in 2009 — and he might have the best and deepest cast of receivers he has had yet in Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. While he didn’t predict one Monday, he expects a big season.

“I hope so. I don’t think by any stretch of the imagination I’m on the down slope and the end of my career,” Roethlisberger said. “ I hope not, geez. The game keeps slowing down, and you keep figuring things out. I’m just blessed to have a great group of young guys around me that can make plays, so I don’t have to do as much as I used to.”

Roethlisberger is aware he is at the age — 30 — when many quarterbacks peak.

“I set the bar pretty high on myself. No one can hold my level of expectation higher than I do,” he said. “Hopefully, I’ll just keep trying to get better, and hopefully, I get there. And if I don’t, I’m sorry.”

Roethlisberger, a three-time Super Bowl participant and two-time winner, isn’t often the lesser- known quarterback in any game, but he will be when Peyton Manning returns Sunday in Denver after missing the 2011 season to injury.

Roethlisberger appears to like that he won’t be the most-scrutinized quarterback for a change.

“We knew the NFL was going to do that,” Roethlisberger said of giving Manning a prime-time showcase in his first game since the 2010 season. “ It was a no-brainer they were going to put him on Sunday night, Monday night, one of the other two, let him play at home.”

http://triblive.com/sports/2529715-85/roethlisberger-season-career-game-monday-prime-wallace-receivers-age-ben#ixzz25RzY1O00

GoFor7
09-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Everyone's favorite fat guy gives his predictions for the 2012 Steelers. While you might not like it, he does offer some thoughts on why the Steelers could do better than he predicts:

http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/in-ben-steelers-trust/article_f872ce0b-730d-58f0-9080-c23082d29ed2.html

In Ben Steelers trust
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012 8:29 pm | Updated: 8:42 pm, Mon Sep 3, 2012.
By Mark Madden Times Sports Columnist

Sports Illustrated football guru Peter King says the Steelers will go 8-8 and finish third in the AFC North behind Baltimore and Cincinnati.

Sounds about right.

Black and gold blinders often keep Pittsburgh from seeing the Steelers as they really are. That can make a fall all the more disappointing. The Steelers are an extremely flawed, frayed and fragile team propped up by the best money quarterback in football, but not much else.

James Harrison is among the best outside linebackers in football. But he might not play very much.

Troy Polamalu is among the best safeties in football. But his breakneck style and accrued wear and tear mean the end comes sooner, not later.

Nose tackle is a critical position in the Steelers’ 3-4 defense. Casey Hampton is close to his expiration date.

The problems are many. Some are great. Inexperience at corner opposite Ike Taylor. Ziggy Hood regressed last season. The top half of the 2012 draft class got blown up. David Johnson is out for the year; so much for resurrecting the fullback position. Running back lacks tenure and pedigree.

When you pile it all together, anything better than .500 seems a bit of a reach. The Steelers are beat up already, and the regular season hasn’t yet started.

But Ben Roethlisberger gives the Steelers a shot at the playoffs, the division, postseason success, the Super Bowl, just about anything. Mike Wallace is back, the deep threat, the cherry on top of an excellent receiving corps. David DeCastro’s injury depletes the offensive line, but if Willie Colon stays healthy, he’s a major upgrade.

There’s not necessarily more bad than good, but there’s much more shaky than certain.

It comes down to Roethlisberger. Can he, at 30, find another gear as he enters what should be his prime? Will new offensive coordinator Todd Haley spotlight Roethlisberger and help Wallace chase Larry Fitz money, or lean on Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer by way of appeasing Art Rooney II? "Look, granddaddy, we run the ball!"

Hopefully, Roethlisberger shoulders the burden. If the Steelers lose, he’s going to get blamed no matter how much he’s asked to do, so let him drive the bus.

Speaking of which, can Dwyer wrest the top running back job (or at least significant carries) from Redman? He’s a bit more bruising, a bit more in the Steelers mold. He’s got a bit more pedigree, too: Georgia Tech vs. Bowie State.

Running the ball is crucial from one standpoint: The less that creaky Steelers defense is on the field, the better.

Of all the potential negatives, Harrison’s condition is paramount. Without an effective pass rush, this version of the Steel Curtain really isn’t too difficult to deal with.

Here’s betting Harrison is sidelined more than he plays. Uh-oh.

The AFC North may work in the Steelers’ favor. The Ravens are as old and shopworn as the Steelers, especially at key positions, and their quarterback isn’t as good. Whatever it is the Bengals never had, they still haven’t got.

It’s a crapshoot. But given the early injury concerns and a defense that’s fragile in every sense of the word, 8-8 is my call. Mike Tomlin likes to say “the standard is the standard,” but you can’t sprinkle black and gold pixie dust on Chris Carter and turn him into Harrison.

If the Steelers do miss the playoffs (or go one and done), it’s time for some very hard personnel decisions. Do you risk keeping ‘em too long, or risk ditching ‘em too early?

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

© 2012 Timesonline.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

jiminpa
09-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Ben left more brain cells on that lady's windshield than Mark Madden has in his whole head.

Fire Arians
09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Ben left more brain cells on that lady's windshield than Mark Madden has in his whole head.

he's got a point though, harrison's health is going to be huge, and it's a big question mark right now.

he does also mention that playoffs or super bowl run could be probable as long as big ben is healthy, and we only go as far as ben takes us.

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-04-2012, 01:55 PM
he's got a point though, harrison's health is going to be huge, and it's a big question mark right now.

he does also mention that playoffs or super bowl run could be probable as long as big ben is healthy, and we only go as far as ben takes us.

This most certainly IS true... but Madden assumes that (a) Ben will get hurt and that (b) Harrison will not recover adequately, leading to a (c) fading defense.

Assuming the worst, without giving possible allowances for positive outcomes, makes him a troll, a Negative Nancy, a writer who's chief goal is to predict the worst and merrily say, "I told you so" if any of it comes true.

Being a pessimist doesn't affect outcomes; neither does being an optimist; however, you'll find that optimists are usually happier people... and pessimists are often jerks. I give you Mark Madden: pessimist, and jerk.

steelax04
09-04-2012, 04:19 PM
... your Double Discount whatever it is called...

Thread winner. :thumbsup:

jiminpa
09-04-2012, 11:26 PM
This most certainly IS true... but Madden assumes that (a) Ben will get hurt and that (b) Harrison will not recover adequately, leading to a (c) fading defense.

Assuming the worst, without giving possible allowances for positive outcomes, makes him a troll, a Negative Nancy, a writer who's chief goal is to predict the worst and merrily say, "I told you so" if any of it comes true.

Being a pessimist doesn't affect outcomes; neither does being an optimist; however, you'll find that optimists are usually happier people... and pessimists are often jerks. I give you Mark Madden: pessimist, and jerk.I'm a pessimist. I wish otherwise. I try to remember that even if the glass is half empty, and has a hole in it, know where the sink is. I can sometimes be a jerk, but I couldn't make a career out of it. But even if the defense loses another step, there should be no reason for the offense to not start to carry their own weight now. So let's assume for a minute that the defense slips to fifth in points and sustained drives allowed, Dick Lebeau still wins the chess match most of the time, if our offense is just half as productive in both of those areas as it should be we are still the best team in the division and top five in the conference. ...and this is coming from a pessimist.

Indy, now there's a team on the decline, and that from 2-14.

Hawaii 5-0
09-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Big Ben brings sense of competitiveness

By Alan Robinson
Published: Saturday, September 8, 2012

How Ben Roethlisberger has fared in games featuring elite quarterbacks:

Date Quarterback Com/Att Yds TD INT Passer rating Outcome

Oct. 31, 2004 Patriots (Tom Brady) 18/24 196 2 0 126.4 Steelers win, 34-20

Dec. 18, 2004 Giants (Eli Manning) 18/28 316 1 2 84.8 Steelers win, 33-30

Jan. 23, 2005 Patriots (Tom Brady) 14/24 226 2 3 78.1 Steelers lose, 41-27 (AFC playoffs)

Sept. 25, 2005 Patriots (Tom Brady) 12/28 216 2 0 93.8 Steelers lose, 23-20

Nov. 28, 2005 Colts (Peyton Manning) 17/26 133 1 2 58.7 Steelers lose, 26-7

Jan. 15, 2006 Colts (Peyton Manning) 14/24 197 2 1 95.3 Steelers win, 21-18 (AFC playoffs)

Nov. 12, 2006 Saints (Drew Brees) 17/28 264 3 0 127.7 Steelers win, 38-31

Dec. 9, 2007 Patriots (Tom Brady) 19/32 187 1 0 86.3 Steelers lose, 34-13

Oct. 28, 2008 Giants (Eli Manning) 13/29 189 1 4 38.5 Steelers lose, 21-14

Nov. 9, 2008 Colts (Peyton Manning) 29/41 280 0 3 59.0 Steelers lose, 24-20

Dec. 20, 2009 Packers (Aaron Rodgers) 29/46 503 3 0 121.9 Steelers win, 37-36

Oct. 31, 2010 Saints (Drew Brees) 17/28 195 0 1 66.8 Steelers lose, 20-10

Nov. 14, 2010 Patriots (Tom Brady) 30/49 387 3 1 97.9 Steelers lose, 39-26

Feb. 6, 2011 Packers (Aaron Rodgers) 25/40 263 2 2 77.4 Steelers lose, 31-25 (Super Bowl)

Oct. 30, 2011 Patriots (Tom Brady) 36/50 365 2 1 97.5 Steelers win, 25-17

In the lobby of the Steelers’ South Side practice complex, a TV is replaying coach Mike Tomlin’s comments that Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is a “ridiculous competitor.”

Just down a hallway, a competitor some Steelers believe hates to lose as badly as Manning does – and never bothers to hide it – is getting ready for practice. Except it’s not a normal practice.

To fellow Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich, there is never a normal practice for Ben Roethlisberger, who always finds a way to compete. Maybe it’s the number of passes he can flip successfully into a garbage can or how many throws he can complete in a row.

Table tennis in the locker room? Hates to lose. The miniature basketball hoop that was located close to Roethlisberger’s locker? He will play as many shooting games as possible – best-of-3, best-of-7, best-of-211 – in order to win.

Ridiculous competitor? Yes, the Steelers know one.

“Oh man, I’m playing with the guy right now,” said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who was floored by Roethlisberger’s competitiveness when he joined the Steelers last season. “I haven’t seen anything like this dude.”

Cotchery includes Brett Favre, his former Jets teammate, in that statement.

“Brett Favre was a very competitive guy. Chad Pennington, oh, man, he was fierce,” Cotchery said. “This guy here? I don’t know where he comes from. Before I came here, I’ve seen images of him breaking his nose and sticking something up it and getting back on the field. It’s crazy. He’s just anxious to get back out there and get his team to a victory. This guy is extremely into it.”

Cotchery was referring to the Dec. 5, 2010, game against the Ravens in which Roethlisberger’s nose was broken on a hit by Haloti Ngata, but he stayed in the game and helped rally the Steelers to a pivotal 13-10 win that helped pushed them to the Super Bowl.

The Steelers’ opener Sunday night in Denver is being billed as Peyton Manning’s comeback game; Roethlisberger was jokingly referred to as “the other quarterback” on a national TV sportscast a few nights ago.

Despite the supposed slight, Leftwich doesn’t believe Roethlisberger will draw any extra incentive from taking on one of the sport’s iconic players.

“You don’t see a whole lot of people compete (in practice) on a daily basis, and that’s what you want,” Leftwich said. “That’s the part that people don’t realize; how highly competitive he is. How perfect he wants to be in games, how he works at the little things so the big things happen. It’s on a constant basis every day. He wants to be able to do this, this and this, because he knows if he can do these things on a consistent basis on Sundays, it’ll make it a whole lot easier.”

Steelers linebacker Larry Foote saw the exact same thing when Roethlisberger led the Steelers to a 15-1 record as a rookie in 2004.

Asked to compare Roethlisberger to Manning, Foote said, “Our quarterback is more reckless abandon. He stares down the barrel. He doesn’t blink. He does a great job. Both of them are competitors. To play at this level and have as much success as these two have, you’ve got to be an ultimate competitor.”

Roethlisberger is 1-2 against Peyton Manning, losing to him twice in the regular season (2005 and 2008) but beating him in a January 2006 AFC divisional playoff game. And the two seasons Roethlisberger lost to Manning, the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

“As a quarterback, you always know who’s on the other side of the field,” Leftwich said. “You’re not playing against those guys … but he understands who’s the quarterback for the Denver Broncos. He knows.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2556681-85/steelers-roethlisberger-manning-quarterback-lose-win-practice-peyton-competitor-cotchery#ixzz25u7PCMTZ

OX1947
09-08-2012, 04:07 PM
If you do not want Ben to get hurt, run more and put him in shotgun in a no-huddle. Keeping him in the pocket is usually when he gets hit the most. And the traditional 5 step or 3 step drop in a conventional play is when he starts running around for his life waiting for a receiver to get open.