PDA

View Full Version : Cundiff released -- should Steelers pick him up?

TAmes
08-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I think Cundiff would be a significant upgrade over Suisham, not just with FG accuracy but with kickoffs.

tony hipchest
08-26-2012, 12:22 PM
wtf?

hell no!

just say no to ****dip. didnt you see him potentially lose a sb appearance for the ravens last year?

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I'd take him over suisham. Even with the botched kick in afccg.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 12:31 PM
HELL no.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 12:32 PM
wtf?

hell no!

just say no to ****dip. didnt you see him potentially lose a sb appearance for the ravens last year?

I would take the other kid the Steelers have, the one that kicked a victory against the Colts a week ago, more potential, Cundiff, really Cundiff???? Definitely no Ratbird kicker in Pittsburgh!!!!

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Cundiff feels pressure when he's kicking a last second game tying field goal in the afccg. Suisham feels pressure whenever he has to kick a FG over 35 yards long during a reg season game while we already have the lead.

C'mon, You can all admit you cringe inside when suisham steps onto the field.....

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Cundiff was 28 of 37 last season - not exactly Mr. Dependable

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8304572/baltimore-ravens-cut-ex-pro-bowl-k-billy-cundiff-source-says

But Bouchette thinks Suisham may be in trouble

Only one field goal was tried in Buffalo and Tomlin let rookie Daniel Hrapmann again kick it. He again made it from 40 yards to give him a perfect 5-for-5 this summer. Shaun Suisham has made both of his field goal tries. It appears they are giving Hrapmann every chance to unseat the veteran.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117769-ed-leftwich-as-good-as-no-2-gets

Cherinko
08-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Overall
Suisham - 79.5%
Cundiff - 76.7%

50+
Suisham - 37.5%
Cundiff - 29.4%

40-49
Suisham - 69.8%
Cundiff - 68.8%

30-39
Suisham - 80%
Cundiff - 79.0%

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/suishsha01.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/cundibil01.htm

TRH
08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
HELL no.

+ 1

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Last season suisham was 6/11 from 40-49 (almost fifty %) cundiff was 9/7. 78%

Total kicks were SS 23/31 74.2% BC 28/37 75% five of Cundiffs misses were from 50+

Career stats are ok, but if we we're looking at getting cundiff Wed be getting him with his current experience, not experience from 5 years ago.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Here is who the kicker needs to be # 2 Danny Hrapmann, c-ya Suisham and not no but hell no to Cundiff.

GMU Steeler
08-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Here is who the kicker needs to be # 2 Danny Hrapmann, c-ya Suisham and not no but hell no to Cundiff.

Yep. Also fine with Butler replacing Kapinos too which I think is almost a formality at this point.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Yep. Also fine with Butler replacing Kapinos too which I think is almost a formality at this point.

I agree, have a special place for Kapinos though after the Sepulvada experiment, but you know, Butler is outplaying Kapinos IMO.

GoFor7
08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm curious, does anyone know Cundiff's stats at Heinz Field?

GMU Steeler
08-26-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree, have a special place for Kapinos though after the Sepulvada experiment, but you know, Butler is outplaying Kapinos IMO.

It's too bad about Sepulvada, that guy could kick but he could never stay healthy. Butler looks like a keeper from what I've seen from stats only.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm curious, does anyone know Cundiff's stats at Heinz Field?

No not at all, but I do know his most important stat zero SB titles!!!!!

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=GMU Steeler;1024613]It's too bad about Sepulvada, that guy could kick but he could never stay healthy. Butler looks like a keeper from what I've seen from stats only.[/QUO

You are not lying, shades of Ray Guy IMO if he could have stayed healthy, what a shame!

btaylor179
08-26-2012, 02:31 PM
yes i worry everytime he kicks

Buddha Bus
08-26-2012, 02:40 PM

This +1.

I like Hrapmann so far and I definitely wouldn't touch Cundiff with a ten-foot wide left kick from 32 yards. Suisham is a potential liability and I don't think the rookie would be any worse, but could possibly be better.

ETL
08-26-2012, 02:50 PM
I say yes. All his kickoffs are unreturnable and it would be sweet if he could kick a winning FG against the Ravens.

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I say yes. All his kickoffs are unreturnable and it would be sweet if he could kick a winning FG against the Ravens.

I think I am going to have my wife stab me in the eye with a rusted spoon and really hard for that matter!!!!! Yes, she just did and it was better than reading that!

mikegrimey
08-26-2012, 04:20 PM
No not at all, but I do know his most important stat zero SB titles!!!!!

Is this supposed to be an example of misapplying the "rings=talent" logic? You're seriously going to denounce a kicker because he has zero superbowls? If Janikowski quit the Raiders and asked to sign for the vet minimum in Pittsburgh you would be skeptical because of "his most important stat" of 0 superbowls?

Goldsteel86
08-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Is this supposed to be an example of misapplying the "rings=talent" logic? You're seriously going to denounce a kicker because he has zero superbowls? If Janikowski quit the Raiders and asked to sign for the vet minimum in Pittsburgh you would be skeptical because of "his most important stat" of 0 superbowls?

Nope, he played for the Raiders not the Ratbirds, but then again you must have a special place in your heart for the Ratbirds. You are probably the type who says well since the Ratbirds beat the Steelers in a playoff game, lets keep it in the division and root for Baltimore. SB wins or not, hell no on Cundiff, if the guy were a Janikowski then maybe, Cundiff is no comparison, thanks for playing!!!!!

mikegrimey
08-26-2012, 04:57 PM
I wasn't against your criticism of Cundiff, just your excuse of "he has no Super Bowl rings" which was nonsense.

Lady Steel
08-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Why is it that every time a team releases a player, no matter who it is, some Steelers fans think we should pick him up? I don't get it.

FrancoLambert
08-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Why is it that every time a team releases a player, no matter who it is, some Steelers fans think we should pick him up? I don't get it.

Well, in this case our present # 1 kicker is ? Suisham? He's hurt and OK.
Hrappman (sic) has done well vying for the job, but has little experience.
Cundiff is experienced and pretty good overall.
If the powers that be feel he would be an upgrade, bring him in and let him compete.

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Mark Kaboly of the Trib-Review agrees:chuckle

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib :

they dont have time for cundiff. They are busy signing merriman, trading for MJD and taking offers from Irsay about Wallace

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/239799910839488513

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Mark Kaboly of the Trib-Review agrees:chuckle

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib :

they dont have time for cundiff. They are busy signing merriman, trading for MJD and taking offers from Irsay about Wallace

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/239799910839488513

:sofunny:

Kingmagyar
08-26-2012, 06:24 PM
But when they miss the big one, these guys usually always go in the tank and are ruined.

Think Vanderjagt.

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 06:39 PM

Ha ha ha ha....... Same shit I thought when I read his comment.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Cundiff missed an easy game winning field goal and prevented the Ravens from going to the Super Bowl. I'm a fan of him for that, but I sure as hell don't want him.

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Cundiff missed an easy game winning field goal and prevented the Ravens from going to the Super Bowl. I'm a fan of him for that, but I sure as hell don't want him.

I think it was game tying, not game winning.

Speaking of missing field goals in the playoffs. I could have done better than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5jmEqiBCY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 07:07 PM
I think it was game tying, not game winning.

Speaking of missing field goals in the playoffs. I could have done better than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5jmEqiBCY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I can't watch that on this phone, but i'm sure it's S.S's Super Bowl miss. Keep in mind that Daniel Hrapmann, the kicker competing with S.S. this preseason is 6-6 with a game winner. Would have been two game winners if the defense would have held up against the Eagles. If anything, he could end up beating out S.S. for the starting job.

Millers the sh!t
08-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I can't watch that on this phone, but i'm sure it's S.S's Super Bowl miss. Keep in mind that Daniel Hrapmann, the kicker competing with S.S. this preseason is 6-6 with a game winner. Would have been two game winners if the defense would have held up against the Eagles. If anything, he could end up beating out S.S. for the starting job.

Ha ha.. it sure was. I'll never get over that kick. It was the worst I've seen and I felt embarrassed watching it. I'm not a fan of suisham at all. I really hope Hrapmann out performs suisham and has a consistent career with us.

But for arguments sake, I'd take cundiff over SS

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Ha ha.. it sure was. I'll never get over that kick. It was the worst I've seen and I felt embarrassed watching it. I'm not a fan of suisham at all. I really hope Hrapmann out performs suisham and has a consistent career with us.

But for arguments sake, I'd take cundiff over SS

Suisham scares the piss out of me when we NEED him to make a field goal. He's the kind of kicker that'll make a meaninglessness 50 yard field goal, and shank a 20 yarder with the pressure on. Everyone brings his field goal percentage into the discussion, but i'm not buying into it. Not only did he help us lose a Super Bowl, he helped the Dallas Cowboys lose a big game that was pretty notorious. Anyone have video of that?

Steelersfan87
08-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Hrapmann kicked under 75% in his college career. He's not the answer and there's no reason to believe he'll do any better than Suisham. There's also no reason that Suisham will 1) do as well as he did in 2010 or 2) do as poorly as he did in 2011.

Atlanta Dan
08-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Ha ha.. it sure was. I'll never get over that kick. It was the worst I've seen and I felt embarrassed watching it.

You apparently are too young to remember when the 70s Steelers had Roy Gerela as their kicker:noidea:

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Hrapmann kicked under 75% in his college career. He's not the answer and there's no reason to believe he'll do any better than Suisham. There's also no reason that Suisham will 1) do as well as he did in 2010 or 2) do as poorly as he did in 2011.

Again. You're relying far too much on statistics here. There's no reason to believe his job is locked in as long as Hrapmann is making field goals. If starting quarterbacks can get beat out in the preseason, a kicker certainly can. I think a lot of us here can agree that Suisham has made an embarrassment of himself a lot in his career, and it's not always a comfortable thing for fans when he's put in a pressure situation. I'm not saying Suisham shouldn't be the guy, i'm just saying Hrapmann certainly has a shot.

Bayz101
08-26-2012, 09:07 PM
I guess i'm just saying: Don't look into the statistics too much. It's well known that Suisham has a tendency to bite the dust in pressure situations, and he's been in the league a while. A lot of people noted the new Ravens kickers talent this preseason. Hrapmann's made all of his too, and a game-winner. Same shit. I hope Suisham excels this year, but don't downplay Hrapmann because of his percentage in college. He's not kicking for a school anymore, and he's done well for us.

Hawaii 5-0
08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Hrapmann kicked under 75% in his college career. He's not the answer and there's no reason to believe he'll do any better than Suisham.

Danny Hrappman had a great season in 2010 (1st-team Walter Camp All-American selection, finalist for the Lou Groza Award as the nation's best kicker) going 26-31 on FGs with his longest FG coming from 54 yards for an 83.9 FG % . In 2011 Hrappman had a poor season but a lot of that was due to a nagging injury he tried to play through.

now that Hrappman is healthy again, perhaps he will revert back to his 2010 form? he certainly has looked good so far this pre-season...

ETL
08-26-2012, 10:21 PM
This topic must have drawn out all the brain-dead drooling meat heads...

Let me point out some things.

JUDGING CUNDIFF BASED ON ONE MISSED FG IN PLAYOFFS - If you do this - you are stupid. No other word for it - you are just stupid. I can't even begin to list the # of superstars and hall of fame players who messed up in key playoff games. I invite you to judge Cundiff on his whole body of work - and if you are critical of him - that's fair. But to point out one play as your argument that Suisham or Hrapman is a better option - that's just plain stupid. I am not claiming that Cundiff is the best kicker but he would be a better option than what we have right now.

NO RAVENS! - About 50% of the posts on this board talk about how we can't have any former Ravens. That argument is as idiotic as the people posting them. Would you turn away Ray Lewis, Ed Reed or Jonathan Ogden in their prime just because they played for the Ravens? Would you turn away a Ray Rice for Mendenhall trade just because you think of profootball as some high school gang war? Would you kick out James Harrison for being a former Raven? Who Cundiff played for previously has no meaning whatsoever. The only thing that matters is "Can he help the Steelers?" Don't confuse me for a Raven lover. I am all about helping the Steelers. You on the other hand would cut off your nose to spite your face. You choose to root for options that hurt the Steelers just so your stupid biases can be preserved.

SUISHAM? Please please tell me why you would have so much more confidence in this guy than Cundiff? Lets say they are equally accurate. Then Cundiff wins because he has a stronger leg for kickoffs?

HRAPMAN? This is my #1 PET PEEVE OF BRAINLESS SPORTS FANS! Just because you have not seen a guy FCUK IT UP yet does not mean that he is good! It just means that you don't know squat about him. If you gave me the choice of Cundiff vs "don't know sqat" rookie - I would take the veteran

Finally, I would seriously look at taking the kicker that the Chargers are going to cut. They have a contest between Nick Kaeding and Nick Novak. Novak kicked for them last year and kicked well - a proven veteran. Kaeding kicked for them the year before (was out because of injury last year) and has kicked well for several years - EVEN AFTER MISSING A KEY FG IN THE PLAYOFFS several years before. I heard Kaeding has the edge.

Acerinox
08-27-2012, 04:53 AM
ETL this is weird as I normally agree with you on everything but this time... I disagree on everything! I think we should stick with Hrapmann, backup with Suisham and never consider Cundiff.

1. Judging Cundiff based on playoff FG miss. I think we can do this, and should. It's not "just one FG" like it's week 6 vs Tampa. This game is all about PRESSURE and there are only a very small number of moments where you can see what a guy is made of in that scenario. Vinatieri had it. EVERY TIME. Anderson had it. Reed had it until he went mad. And they won plenty for their teams. Vanderjagt was an amazing stats kicker but he didn't have it - not the first time, and not ANY time. Cundiff clearly doesn't have it, and neither does Kaeding by the way, and the "clutch" factor is something you have to consider. No Suisham doesn't have it. Not at all.

2. No Ravens. This rivalry is not just a bit of fun made up to keep us busy between games. Yes it is foolish but it is REAL. The players get more fired up for their rivalry games. They hit harder, train harder, hate harder, run up scores, trash talk. They do. Remember the Mendenhall bounty - collarbonegate. I think we have to treat with respect, anything that fires up the team and the fans. Diluting it by signing ex-Ravens is weird. No there is no way I would have Ed Reed or Ray Lewis on this team. I'm not sure I would be able to respect a Raven that DID want to come and play for us. He's likely to be without passion. Fringe players are different of course. The Harrison argument is BS, that guy was just looking for a team.

3. Suisham. Actually I agree with you here the guy has no form.

4. Hrapman. It's funny because my #1 pet peeve is the "Better The Devil You Know" brainless Sports Fans. The ones that want to stick with things that don't really work - because taking a risk on something unknown could be worse! Classic example - Chargers fans that like Norv. I don't believe that being an unknown quantity is a crime. The *Fact* is that Hrapmann has not fcuked up yet. Maybe he really IS perfect! OK that's silly but we known Suisham and Cundiff are highly imperfect. The devils we know. I say roll the dice.

Agree to disagree I guess!

Millers the sh!t
08-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Good points from both sides... But what it sounds to Me like is no matter who we choose its a average kicker. If welose suisham or cundiff and roll with hrappman and he flunks out. It won't be hard to find another average quality kicker.....

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Good points from both sides... But what it sounds to Me like is no matter who we choose its a average kicker. If welose suisham or cundiff and roll with hrappman and he flunks out. It won't be hard to find another average quality kicker.....

lhovxwaZ4VY

That was Suisham missing a 23-yard field goal that would have put the Redskins up by ten on the Saints. The Saints scored a touchdown after the miss, tied it up, and ended up winning the game on a field goal.

vztrvkvPFHU

That was just another fine example of Suisham's big-game kicking.

t-5jmEqiBCY

Can't forget that one.

-------------------------------------------------------------

He doesn't exactly have a knack for clutch-kicks, and usually when his name is brought up in the NFL, it's not because of his talent. It's usually because of the reputation he's developed as missing routine field goals when the game is either on the line, or too close for comfort.

He'll get the job done most of the time, but if we get to the playoffs and start relying on him to make the points for us, he will fail, and we will lose. Just another reason for us to get the seven points. No excuses. Hrapmann, even if he doesn't get cut, isn't ready to step right in this year. He had a GREAT college career, minus his last year due to injury, and is probably better than Suisham as far as accuracy when healthy.

That doesn't mean start him. Hopefully Suishman doesn't live up to his reputation and most importantly, hopefully I don't have a heart-attack before he's able to kick the damn thing. I'm usually sweating profusely and biting my nails down to the damn knuckle.

Kingmagyar
08-27-2012, 06:16 AM
So many good arguments both ways, but forgive me for saying this again

"Once you miss the big one you are ruined for life." You will see Cundiff's career is over.

Scott Norwood after missing the kick in Super Bowl 25 went 62.1% the next year and it was his last after only 7 seasons.

Mike Vanderjagt (92% that year) after missing against Pittsburgh in the playoffs went 72.2% in his next season also his last.

And look who the Ravens are keeping. Why couldn't the Steelers have nabbed this guy.

Justin Tucker signed with the Ravens as a rookie free agent on 5/29/12…A versatile kicker who kicked in a variety of roles over his four seasons at Texas…Handled kickoff duties in 52 games and placekicking duties in 25 contests…Kicked off 328 times for an average of 63.3 yards per kickoff and 64 TBs…Posted 190 career points by connecting on 40 of 48 FGAs (83.3%) and all 71 PATs…His 83.3% on FGs is tied for third best all time at Texas…Also a rugby-style punter who registered 155 punts for 6,283 yards (40.5 yards per punt)

steelfury02
08-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Hrappmen's released so forget about him. Ivy gone as well.
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Reduce-Roster-to-75/fe21b9f9-57dd-4b83-b469-30bdd55f8bad

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Damn! Shit ton of guys gone.

steelfury02
08-27-2012, 08:42 AM
is it safe to say that the 5th spot is wrapped up at WR?

Millers the sh!t
08-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Goldsteel, hrappman told me to tell you "bye"

Steelersfan87
08-27-2012, 05:10 PM
is it safe to say that the 5th spot is wrapped up at WR?

No, I think right now it's an open competition between Derrick Williams (2 catches and a TD last week) and David Gilreath. Toney Clemons can throw his hat in the ring in the last game too, but I think Maze has already blown his chance, and I see Beiler as probably most likely out already, although I suppose if he really lit it up, he could make them remember him as well.

Hawaii 5-0
08-28-2012, 01:12 PM
The Redskins have decided to cut both Neil Rackers and Graham Gano and to sign Billy Cundiff.

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 01:17 PM
What the flying ****?

MACH1
08-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Ya snooze ya lose. :hunch:

FrancoLambert
08-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Ya snooze ya lose. :hunch:

^^^^^^^^^^^
EXACTLY
I'm a little disappointed. Are we so solid at PK we should't look to upgrade?

LVSteelersfan
08-29-2012, 01:47 PM
dont want ravens rejects. harrison was a steeler reject brought back. not a ravens reject in my mind. : )