PDA

View Full Version : Wallace to sign tender Tuesday

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/mike-wallace-colbert-talks-steelers.jpg

Wallace to sign tender Tuesday

SteelersXtreme.com

Finally, there's going to be a tender moment between Mike Wallace and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

After almost an entire off-season of drama, speculation, rumors, and conflicting reports, Wallace will finally end his holdout with the Steelers on Tuesday and will sign his 1-year, $2.74 million tender offer, according to Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Network. Earlier today, Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review also posted on Twitter that Wallace would be returning Tuesday.

After he signs the tender offer, Wallace will be able to return to the negotiating table with the Steelers' front office and attempt to secure a long-term contract with the team before the start of the regular season. The Steelers historically do not negotiate contracts after the regular season starts, so the Pro Bowl receiver will have until the first game of the 2012 season, Sept. 9, to sign a new deal; otherwise, he'll be playing for his tender amount and will become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Read more: http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t3194-wallace-to-sign-tender-tuesday

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 04:37 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Wide receiver Mike Wallace hasn't participated in any of the Pittsburgh Steelers' offseason activities, but he'll arrive in town Monday night and report to the team facility Tuesday, two team sources confirmed.

Wallace has not signed his $2.742 million restricted free-agent tender.

NFL.com and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport recently reported Wallace had informed some of his Steelers teammates that he intended to rejoin the team this past weekend.

Read more: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055338/article/mike-wallace-to-rejoin-pittsburgh-steelers-on-tuesday?module=HP11_headline_stack

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
We have conflicting reports, yet again. Bouchette citing Kennan Lewis as saying Wallace will show today.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-27-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm waiting for Wexell to tweet it. That guy is a Beast!!

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm waiting for Wexell to tweet it. That guy is a Beast!!

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAST.

There's no doubt, really. The only conflicting report is that of Keenan Lewis, who said he was coming in today. That can be interpreted many ways, and i'm taking as if Wallace is coming into town today. Other reports say he's signing the deal tomorrow.

MACH1
08-27-2012, 05:33 PM
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAST.

There's no doubt, really. The only conflicting report is that of Keenan Lewis, who said he was coming in today. That can be interpreted many ways, and i'm taking as if Wallace is coming into town today. Other reports say he's signing the deal tomorrow.

Everyting I've heard so far is saying tuesday. :hunch:

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
i am reporting Mike Wallace will report and sign his tender on Tuesday. #BeastMode

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Everyting I've heard so far is saying tuesday. :hunch:

That's what i'm saying. Buchette reported on twitter that Keenan Lewis said Wallace was coming in today, and that sparked confusion.

Fire Haley
08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Ben says: "Welcome back bitch, you better be able to run in Denver because I'm coming out throwing deep every play from the no-huddle, no matter what Haley says"

razzle dazzle

If he can't hack it, bench him.

Steelersfan87
08-27-2012, 06:20 PM
He's apparently in Pittsburgh, but will not show up until either tonight or tomorrow.

Fire Arians
08-27-2012, 06:28 PM
He's apparently in Pittsburgh, but will not show up until either tonight or tomorrow.

he might not even have been able to find a flight yet because of the hurricane about to hit the gulf they're saying now lol. will this ever end

stiller39
08-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Brown had a great preseason and looks like he did at the end of the season. The stiller MVP is ready to have a break out season. Cotchery looks ready as does Sanders.... Here we go stillers, here we go!!!

steelfury02
08-27-2012, 07:13 PM
like a boss

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2012, 07:24 PM
But which Tuesday?

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
But which Tuesday?

One in October. :chuckle:

ETL
08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Is this the longest holdout by a Steeler? I don't remember the steelers keeping a player that has been so stubborn. I thought we usually deem a player with a long holdout as "selfish" and not a team-player and we end up jettisoning him pretty soon afterwards.

teegre
08-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Is this the longest holdout by a Steeler? I don't remember the steelers keeping a player that has been so stubborn. I thought we usually deem a player with a long holdout as "selfish" and not a team-player and we end up jettisoning him pretty soon afterwards.

Rod Woodson, as a rookie, held out far longer.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Didn't LB Mike Merriwether sit out the entire 1988 season? (Steelers must have been really tight with a buck in the late 80s)

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 07:47 PM

Yep. :thumbsup:

The longest holdout in modern Steelers history came in 1987 when Rod Woodson did not sign until Oct. 28, after the NFL players returned to work from a monthlong strike.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-dont-expect-holdouts-403032/#ixzz24nFpbHPS

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Didn't LB Mike Merriwether sit out the entire 1988 season? (Steelers must have been really tight with a buck in the late 80s)

Yeah, that's valid as well. Not sure why that's not considered the longest holdout, though.

teegre
08-27-2012, 07:57 PM

And... they traded him. I remember thinking: he is their ONLY good player.

teegre
08-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, that's valid as well. Not sure why that's not considered the longest holdout, though.

I believe it is because, in the end, he got traded... so, technically, he never came back to the Steelers. Right? (I'm truly asking... because, I don't know if that is why.)

Bayz101
08-27-2012, 08:05 PM
I believe it is because, in the end, he got traded... so, technically, he never came back to the Steelers. Right? (I'm truly asking... because, I don't know if that is why.)

That makes sense, actually.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Coach Tomlin is just bubbling over with joy in anticipation of being able to give Wallace a big hug when he returns:chuckle:

When asked if he ‘expects Wallace to occupy a position soon,’ Tomlin was consistent with the answer he has given all preseason regarding the speedy receiver.

“I’ll deal with Mike Wallace when he gets here,” said Tomlin.

Tomlin said he has not heard from Wallace, and when asked further about him, including if he heard that Wallace will report on Tuesday, he reiterated his view on talking about players not with the team.

“I don’t go by what I hear. I go by what I see,” said Tomlin. “When I see him then I’ll address those issues.

“I’m not talking about Mike Wallace until he gets here. I’m focused on the ones that are here and working.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Hampton-back-at-practice/7cf17548-d501-4c55-a4dc-c8696b26a019

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Coach Tomlin is just bubbling over with joy in anticipation of being able to give Wallace a big hug when he returns:chuckle:

]most coaches always try to say the right thing in regards to a hold out or injured player, but most eventually fall into the trap of eventually speaking of said player they said they would not speak about. i'd say tomlin is a master in this regard (belichickian even). some might have handled the situation as well as him, but i dont think any could have handled it better.

very professional of him to let the rooneys and colbert handle their side of the business and to not get involved in the players personal/pro affairs.

also nice of him to not hide his displeasure and coddle the player.

BGSU A Dub
08-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Wallace is going to sign a tender? I feel like I've heard this before....

teegre
08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Wallace is going to sign a tender? I feel like I've heard this before....

Someone should make a thread about that.

ETL
08-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Ok. Rod Woodson was worth waiting for and worth keeping.

Merriweather didn't do much after his Steelers career

Hawaii 5-0
08-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Someone should make a thread about that.

after all, it is BREAKING NEWS!!! :wink02:

teegre
08-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Ok. Rod Woodson was worth waiting for and worth keeping.

Merriweather didn't do much after his Steelers career

Indeed.

I always found that surprising. When he played, he had no help (offenses could focus their protections toward him), and he still flourished. Then, a hold out... a trade... and oblivion. Odd.

teegre
08-27-2012, 10:33 PM
after all, it is BREAKING NEWS!!! :wink02:

And under-discussed.

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 10:40 PM
BREAKING NEWS: i am reporting that mike wallace is NOT stuck in New Orleans because of the hurricane.

-tony hipchest investigative reporter special

BGSU A Dub
08-27-2012, 10:44 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Ben Roethlisberger named starting quarterback.

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
This from Gerry Dulac of the P-G

All the players have reported for work this morning, but not Mike Wallace.

He has still not shown up at the team's South Side facility and it's possible he might not. After all, he can't practice for three days once he signs his one-year tender, and today is the last day the Steelers will have any kind of full practice before they begin preparation for the regular season on Monday.

The team will have a light walk-through type of practice Wednesday, play their final preseason game Thursday night at home against Carolina and, right now, have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off.

Whenever he reports, don't expect Wallaceto be treated like the prodigal son by management and coaches. His absence has angered Coach Mike Tomlin :mad: and he will have to work his way back into the starting lineup.

For a guy who is playing for a contract, whether with the Steelers or in free agency, Wallace has certainly taken a path not preferred or recommended by other players

https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers

VcgvFEdhq-I

Hawaii 5-0
08-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Mike Wallace of Steelers has no regrets about absence

By Dan Hanzus
Published: Aug. 28, 2012

Making like a tank with no reverse gears, Mike Wallace reported to Pittsburgh Steelers facilities with no regrets about his extended absence from the team.

For Wallace, there's only the here and now. He's not even worried about the scant amount of time he has to absorb a new offense under Todd Haley.

"Just being around football is what I missed," Wallace said. "Not really plays, so much. I mean, you have to be out there to run the plays, but I know the plays. I'm not really worried about that. I had a lot of time so all I did was study my plays. I know my plays."

Wallace was greeted like the prodigal son upon his arrival to Steelers camp at around noon on Tuesday. He later signed his much-discussed free agent tender worth $2.7 million. He hopes a deal can be completed at a later date.

"I mean that's down the road, hopefully I can," he said. "I mean, I'd love to be here, this is team that drafted me and this is where I want to stay. I'm not really worried about down the road. I'm just worried about playing football right now."

When told some people believe his contract demands are unreasonable, Wallace dismissed the notion.

"You talking about 'some'? You haven't heard my teammates say that. You never heard my coaches say that. Who is 'some'? I really don't care about 'some.' They don't matter to me."

There's probably going to be more rust involved than Wallace lets on, but the receiver's presence is a huge lift for Ben Roethlisberger and a Steelers offense that desperately needs him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055765/article/mike-wallace-of-steelers-has-no-regrets-about-absence

ricardisimo
08-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Indeed.

I always found that surprising. When he played, he had no help (offenses could focus their protections toward him), and he still flourished. Then, a hold out... a trade... and oblivion. Odd.
Merriweather was probably the start of the mythology that the Steelers have an uncanny knack of knowing when to let players go (people perpetuating this myth conveniently forget Woodson and Chad Brown). To be honest, though, his production dropped off while he was with the Steelers, well before he left.

Hawaii 5-0
08-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Merriweather was probably the start of the mythology that the Steelers have an uncanny knack of knowing when to let players go (people perpetuating this myth conveniently forget Woodson and Chad Brown). To be honest, though, his production dropped off while he was with the Steelers, well before he left.

the reason why Chad Brown left was because Pittsburgh simply didn't have enough good sushi bars...