PDA

View Full Version : Just finished watching the Bills game

BowCatShot
08-27-2012, 08:57 PM
and I'm not at all pleased with what I saw in our starting OL. Don't know exactly what the problem is, whether it's that the players just aren't good enough, or the coaching is downright poor. But the problem persists and just goes on and on, year after year. If they'd all just sit down as soon as the ball is snapped they'd do just as well as they are now doing.

If I had a million bucks and I had to wager it all on whether the Steeler defense would stop a 3rd and long, I'd definitely have to bet that they wouldn't. That's another problem that just persists year after year after year.

Hawaii 5-0
08-27-2012, 09:41 PM
as for our OL looking bad, the Bills' front four is going to make a lot of teams' OL look bad this season.

Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams and Mario Williams are BEASTS!

Fire Arians
08-27-2012, 10:43 PM
i thought after a shaky start they did pretty well. decastro injury hurts a lot though, i gotta admit I was super excited to see how much this kid would progress throughout the year, and that injury was a monster buzzkill.

Fire Arians
08-27-2012, 11:00 PM
btw i take back what i said about rainey not being as fast as wallace, he finally turned on the jets on that 41 yd run and looked pretty goddamn fast to me.

tanda10506
08-28-2012, 12:57 AM
as for our OL looking bad, the Bills' front four is going to make a lot of teams' OL look bad this season.

Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams and Mario Williams are BEASTS!

This^. Plus they got it together after the first few posessions.

tony hipchest
08-28-2012, 01:25 AM
it is true that the bills beastly DL is regarded by some as the beastliest DL in the league.

some may say they are yoked like, buffalos, or bills, or oxen. i like saying they are yoked like wildebeasts.

either way, there isnt a whole lot of shame not racking up 20+ points or 200+ yds against that front four in a half of work.

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Hmm. A variation of the word "Beast" was used twice in this thread. Now we wait for El-Gonzo.

On topic: Don't worry, that Bills defensive line was probably our offensive lines biggest test yet, and considering DeCastro was hurt before we could really get warmed up, i'm not going to judge.

lardlad
08-28-2012, 12:42 PM
If I had a million bucks and I had to wager it all on whether the Steeler defense would stop a 3rd and long, I'd definitely have to bet that they wouldn't. That's another problem that just persists year after year after year.

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. Everytime it is third and long I get the sh*t sweats. Even situations where it is like 3rd and 20 or more. What is the deal there? And this has been a problem for years.

stuck_in_VA
08-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I hope they can pull it together. Watch the Steeler's first TD play in the Bills game- Redman's 2-yd run. It is Ramon Foster who gets pushed back which contributes to the hole closing up. It is only because Foster was disengaged that he was able to come up behind Redman to help push the pile and get Redman into the endzone.

I'm not specifically calling him out because it's the entire OL that needs to gel. 12 more days until Week 1. Hope they get it together!

Fire Arians
08-28-2012, 01:00 PM
I hope they can pull it together. Watch the Steeler's first TD play in the Bills game- Redman's 2-yd run. It is Ramon Foster who gets pushed back which contributes to the hole closing up. It is only because Foster was disengaged that he was able to come up behind Redman to help push the pile and get Redman into the endzone.

I'm not specifically calling him out because it's the entire OL that needs to gel. 12 more days until Week 1. Hope they get it together!

foster isn't a pro bowl guard but he's certainly not the worst, we will be ok with him at RG.

GoFor7
08-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I thought the first team O-line played better as the first half went on after a suspect start.

FanSince72
08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
and I'm not at all pleased with what I saw in our starting OL. Don't know exactly what the problem is, whether it's that the players just aren't good enough, or the coaching is downright poor. But the problem persists and just goes on and on, year after year. If they'd all just sit down as soon as the ball is snapped they'd do just as well as they are now doing.

Well, I think that if the O-line stays healthy it will gel and become a more consistent unit.
I know that sounds trite, but let's face it, our O-line issues have primarily been about health, not talent and I think the talent is there.

As for "what I saw" in the Bills game, there was a lot to like.

Ben looks good. He seems to have trimmed down a bit and his throws were crisp. When he called the plays in the two-minute drill he was VERY good and moved the team 99 yards with ease.

I like Chris Rainey a lot!
Good size but his ability to see the gap and move towards it along with his acceleration is what impressed me more.

I think Redman is starting to come into his own and is going to be a great RB.

Baron Batch (RB) looks good and so does Jonathan Dwyer.

I also liked a lot of the quick-throw plays we have now. They're very similar to what Arians had but they're tighter and don't seem to waste as much time getting set up.
I liked a lot of the screens I saw as well.

Leftwich still has a cannon and throwing a TD strike on his first play was not too shabby and that shows me that the coaching extends far beyond the starters.

Hell, even Brown's End-Zone dance was solid!

I know there's still much work to do but I think that our issues are limited to the O-line and little else. The Defense looks solid and I think it's just a matter of time - along with a "Real" playbook (instead of the vanilla crap in preseason) that will get things cooking.

All-in-all, I think there's a lot to like this year and I feel good about this team!

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Well, I think that if the O-line stays healthy it will gel and become a more consistent unit.
I know that sounds trite, but let's face it, our O-line issues have primarily been about health, not talent and I think the talent is there.

As for "what I saw" in the Bills game, there was a lot to like.

Ben looks good. He seems to have trimmed down a bit and his throws were crisp. When he called the plays in the two-minute drill he was VERY good and moved the team 99 yards with ease.

Good size but his ability to see the gap and move towards it along with his acceleration is what impressed me more.

I also liked a lot of the quick-throw plays we have now. They're very similar to what Arians had but they're tighter and don't seem to waste as much time getting set up.

Leftwich still has a cannon and throwing a TD strike on his first play was not too shabby and that shows me that the coaching extends far beyond the starters.

Hell, even Brown's End-Zone dance was solid!

I know there's still much work to do but I think that our issues are limited to the O-line and little else. The Defense looks solid and I think it's just a matter of time - along with a "Real" playbook (instead of the vanilla crap in preseason) that will get things cooking.

All-in-all, I think there's a lot to like this year and I feel good about this team!

I agree. He's lost nearly twenty pounds, and he certainly seems to be throwing a lot better.

His size worries me a LOT, though. Hopefully he doesn't get his bell rung.

Lets just say that our running back corps is in good shape this season. :thumbsup:

Arians showed the "quick-throw" offense a couple of times last season, and one of the times was against New England. Other times he used plays that took 15 seconds to develop and had Ben throwing it 60 yards into double-coverage to a play designed around Wallace.