PDA

View Full Version : DD: Good news...???

teegre
08-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I posted this at the end of the DeCastro thread... but, I think that it needs its own thread.  

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19941828/steelers-g-david-decastro-to-have-surgery-wont-go-on-ir

I am happy that the injury is not nearly as severe as I had once thought.  The fact that he "could" return tells me that it won't affect him nearly as badly as I had pessimistically anticipated (all of that Greg Lloyd talk had me scared).

But... I am still hesitant to rush him back, for fear of injuring his knee even worse.  Rush him back; knee's not 100%; and, it gets re-injured... only MORE SEVERLY.  

Simply, the knee would be weaker... and more susceptible to injury.  

Or, think about Pouncey's ankle: never really 100% (until he actually got it surgically repaired).  What of it lingers for three seasons (when it could be done in one season).  

I am leery...  

Please, thoughts...  

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 10:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think there may be a bit of a knee jerk (no pun intended) over reaction by the message board doctors in regards to decastro's injuy.

he will have surgery, rub some dirt on it, and then the best medical advice available to mankind will determine in which direction he goes (final decision doesnt need to be made until friday).

its a knee injury.

i would be much more concerned with clark if he were going to play in denver or troys next concussion.

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 10:40 PM
the worst case scenario is if he ISNT placed on IR, and we need a replacement late in the year and are stuck with 52 active on the roster and get stuck playing with a slapdick scrub, which is pretty much the same scenario if he is on the IR.

i doubt the steelers will do anything to risk his career or THEIR investment.

Atlanta Dan
08-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Nice to hear about this through the OL coach:noidea:

Tomlin needs to hold a seminar for players and coaches on how to discuss injuries with the media - he can run a video of how Harrison answers those questions

GoFor7
08-27-2012, 10:46 PM
the worst case scenario is if he ISNT placed on IR, and we need a replacement late in the year and are stuck with 52 active on the roster and get stuck playing with a slapdick scrub, which is pretty much the same scenario if he is on the IR.

i doubt the steelers will do anything to risk his career or THEIR investment.

Keep in mind the Steelers kept Aaron Smith on the active roster in 2010 when there was a "possibility" he would return in time for the playoffs.

Sharkissle29
08-27-2012, 10:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think there may be a bit of a knee jerk (no pun intended) over reaction by the message board doctors in regards to decastro's injuy.

he will have surgery, rub some dirt on it, and then the best medical advice available to mankind will determine in which direction he goes (final decision doesnt need to be made until friday).

its a knee injury.

i would be much more concerned with clark if he were going to play in denver or troys next concussion.

It is good to know that the doctors at steelersfever were off. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Tomlin needs to hold a seminar for players and coaches on how to discuss injuries with the media - he can run a video of how Harrison answers those questions

or just see how tomlin handles questions about mike wallace. harrison gets it.

It is good to know that the doctors at steelersfever were off. we still dont really know that they were. big difference between a 3-5 month recovery (the difference between playing in the season and missing it altogether)

Sharkissle29
08-27-2012, 10:57 PM

we still dont really know that they were. big difference between a 3-5 month recovery (the difference between playing in the season and missing it altogether)

You'd have to think that they are anticipating it to be on the low side. I like to at least think they know what they are doing. Mendy off the PUP, and now the decision to not place DD on IR. Risky moves...taking up 2 valuable roster spots.

Time will tell...

tony hipchest
08-27-2012, 11:07 PM
You'd have to think that they are anticipating it to be on the low side. I like to at least think they know what they are doing. Mendy off the PUP, and now the decision to not place DD on IR. Risky moves...taking up 2 valuable roster spots.

Time will tell...not to mention casey hampton and max starks....

the way i look at it is that if we are going to be looking for replacements for mendenhall, decastro, starks, and hampton, we are gonna start looking on our own roster first, and potentially wind up with people off the streets or other teams practice squads regardless...

i totally agree. its a risk/reward type deal.

Steelersfan87
08-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Nothing is definitive right now. They'll know a lot more, including the true extent of the damage, after he has surgery. There's no rush to put him on IR because he can be put there at any time.

mikegrimey
08-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Keep in mind the Steelers kept Aaron Smith on the active roster in 2010 when there was a "possibility" he would return in time for the playoffs.

That's true, but I think that had more to do with Smith's venerable status on the team as an established leader. I don't think DeCastro will get the same treatment.

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Nice work, it deserves it's own thread. Anything does. The Wallace drama is long gone.

On topic: We'll see after his surgery Wednesday. That's probably why he hasn't been put on the IR. It's hard telling how long he'll be out util he's had the surgery and the doc gives his opinion. I don't care whether or not he plays, I just want him to be 100%, and not for performance reasons, either.

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2012, 08:05 AM

Apparently so does DeCastro:chuckle:

Earlier in the day, DeCastro sat back in a chair in the team facility's lobby. He nodded when asked if he was upbeat and cracked a smile. Knowing that Tomlin has a strict nobody-talks-about-injuries-publicly policy, he could only say, "I don't know," when asked if he was out for the season.

I am enjoying how everyone from the HC on down is in a good-natured way riding DD for being a man of few words

Coach Mike Tomlin was asked if DeCastro was able to remain upbeat on a day like Monday.

"For DeCastro, (yes)," Tomlin said.

Tomlin was then asked if he was surprised that the Stanford product was upbeat.

"Well, those of you who know DeCastro, know that 'upbeat' for him is a stretch," Tomlin said.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blo...-wont-go-on-ir

teegre
08-28-2012, 03:14 PM
The Wallace drama is long gone.

I don't care whether or not he plays, I just want him to be 100%, and not for performance reasons, either.

WALLACE: Don't speak too soon. Now that he has signed the tender... expect three or four new threads about Wallace... as well as a resurfacing of the other seven-eight existing threads. :wink02:

DD: I agree 107%. I don't mind waiting until he is fully recovered. I waited for two years... I can wait one more.