PDA

View Full Version : Did Mike Wallace Lose?

beer72
08-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Any $$$$ for missing training camp....THX

teegre
08-28-2012, 08:21 AM
None of the players get paid for pre-season. So, no.

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 08:26 AM
No, he didn't lose anything, other than a long-term deal that would have paid him a bonus.

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Only his manhood for thinking he could muscle the Rooneys into paying him what he wanted

beer72
08-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Thx for the response forum members... For some reason i thought you did...:wave:

GoFor7
08-28-2012, 08:48 AM
The only way a player can lose money for missing training camp is if they are under contract. In that case, the organization can fine them up to $30,000 each day they are missing (see Maurice Jones-Drew in Jacksonville). Since Wallace is not under contract, he cannot be fined by the Steelers.

micraydim
08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
not at all did he lose

austinfrench76
08-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I agree that he lost: a very real chance to be a Steeler for the next 5 years, play with a Top 4 QB and to play for championships every year with a 1st class organization. So, did he lose? Yes.

Hawaii 5-0
08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
I agree that he lost: a very real chance to be a Steeler for the next 5 years, play with a Top 4 QB and to play for championships every year with a 1st class organization. So, did he lose? Yes.

I think Mike Wallace is more interested in testing the free-agent waters next season and getting paid top-dollar than any of those things you mentioned.

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Not really. The only thing that put a halt to him being signed was the "guaranteed money" part of the contract, which was reportedly less than a fourth of the total deal. Once camp came close, the Steelers ended negotiations. Now that he's under his tender, negotiations can proceed yet again, and if he gets a little more guaranteed money, he may very well be back in Pittsburgh for a long time to come.

teegre
08-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Not really. The only thing that put a halt to him being signed was the "guaranteed money" part of the contract, which was reportedly less than a fourth of the total deal. Once camp came close, the Steelers ended negotiations. Now that he's under his tender, negotiations can proceed yet again, and if he gets a little more guaranteed money, he may very well be back in Pittsburgh for a long time to come.

Now... to extend him.

It took Antonio Brown's agent two hours to sign...literally. And, an hour and fifty-five minutes of that was spent reading through the legalese. Wallace has twelve days... my guess: September 7th... 5 years, $52 million.

beer72
08-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Depending how he does this year they should franchise his a$$ next year... Really make him a happy camper :applaudit:

SoCalFan
08-28-2012, 03:20 PM
He lost some respect from people like me and Tomlin!!!

Hawaii 5-0
08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Now... to extend him.

It took Antonio Brown's agent two hours to sign...literally. And, an hour and fifty-five minutes of that was spent reading through the legalese. Wallace has twelve days... my guess: September 7th... 5 years, $52 million.

that will only happen if Wallace agrees to lower his current contract demands as he and his agent are looking for $11.5 million/year.

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 03:34 PM
that will only happen if Wallace agrees to lower his current contract demands as he and his agent are looking for $11.5 million/year.

It's the guaranteed money that's the problem. You can offer Wallace 20 million/year over six years on a 120 million dollar contract, but if the guaranteed money is only 7 million, it's sort of a slap in the face. The Steelers reportedly only offered him a fourth (or less) of his contract as guaranteed. I'm sure he'll end up signing within the next 12-days now that he's under a tender. That's how the Steelers roll.

sloppyjoe
08-28-2012, 03:49 PM
yes. wallace is a loser

Atlanta Dan
08-28-2012, 03:50 PM

"People like me and Tomlin"?

Is that you Coach Haley?:chuckle:

I think this is the Plaxico situation again - Steelers wil not overpay and invest too much money in WRs.

It's not about championships - it's about the Benjamins. Wallace will play in the Arena League or Canadian Football League if that is where he can get the biggest contract.

WVABE
08-28-2012, 03:51 PM
In my eyes if a player wants to hold out then they'll hold out permanantly,
don't needja, adios have a nice day.

tanda10506
08-28-2012, 03:58 PM
It's the guaranteed money that's the problem. You can offer Wallace 20 million/year over six years on a 120 million dollar contract, but if the guaranteed money is only 7 million, it's sort of a slap in the face. The Steelers reportedly only offered him a fourth (or less) of his contract as guaranteed. I'm sure he'll end up signing within the next 12-days now that he's under a tender. That's how the Steelers roll.

This^. Unless Wallace and his agent have already decided to sign the tender and leave for top dollar next year, then I see a deal getting worked out before the season starts.

Steelersfan87
08-28-2012, 04:06 PM
He signed the tender. He wouldn't be allowed to do anything with the team, including negotiating a new contract, without signing the tender, so that is step one.

pancake
08-28-2012, 04:13 PM

Maybe you, but not Tomlin in my opinion. Tomlin understands it's a business and I'm sure he didn't agree with the way he went about it, but he knows that Wallace was just trying to get what he deserves.

FrancoLambert
08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
In reply to the thread question......I don't think you can say for sure either way.
There is still a lot to be played out. On the field and off.

TheVet
08-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Bayz - Where did you hear "the fourth (or less) guaranteed" number? Is it reliable?

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Bayz - Where did you hear "the fourth (or less) guaranteed" number? Is it reliable?

Well, there's lots of numbers going around. He was (allegedly) offered a 50 million dollar plus contract, but the guaranteed amount was (allegedly) under 10 million. Nothing is certain, though.

TheVet
08-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Well, I suppose that none of it really matters. Let's see if they can come to an agreement over the next two weeks...

Kingmagyar
08-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Wallace used the system in place. By not having a contract he could skip all of training camp and not be fined. No hard feelings Mr Rooney he just did what was collectively bargained.

After the year is over the Steelers will use the system in place and franchise Mike Wallace. No hard feelings Mr. Wallace we are just doing what was collectively bargained.

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Wallace used the system in place. By not having a contract he could skip all of training camp and not be fined. No hard feelings Mr Rooney he just did what was collectively bargained.

After the year is over the Steelers will use the system in place and franchise Mike Wallace. No hard feelings Mr. Wallace we are just doing what was collectively bargained.

He doesn't have to sign the franchise tag, and the Rooney's could have cut his tender significantly, but decided not to.

teegre
08-28-2012, 06:04 PM

As Bayz mentioned, it's more than merely the total amount. Wallace wants a lot more up front (quaranteed money).

Also, truthfully, they were almost there... and then camp started, and in turn, negotiations broke off. I'd bet that the odds are more likely that he extends than walks... like 73% likely.

[I got this figure from a Speak'n'Spell that I have hooked up to a Steelers clock radio.]

Hawaii 5-0
08-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I'd bet that the odds are more likely that he extends than walks... like 73% likely.

[I got this figure from a Speak'n'Spell that I have hooked up to a Steelers clock radio.]

I thought the odds would be lower but that's pretty much irrefutable right there...:chuckle:

fujirama24
08-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Did he lose anything No. Did he gain anything No. The steelers have he by the balls. He will play this year and if we don't sign him by the opener. We can and I think will put the franchise tag on him next year. The money he is asking is just not going to happen. If he doesn't sign by the opener he will be traded next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-29-2012, 12:30 AM
I hope they franchise him next season just to make him happier.

Rick5895
08-29-2012, 03:51 AM
Did he lose anything No. Did he gain anything No. The steelers have he by the balls. He will play this year and if we don't sign him by the opener. We can and I think will put the franchise tag on him next year. The money he is asking is just not going to happen. If he doesn't sign by the opener he will be traded next year.
I would doubt he would be traded. He would be a free agent unless he is franchised, and if he is franchised and doesn't sign then the only trade scenario is one where the other team involved would have to be allowed to negotiate with him on a long term deal then make the trade if an agreement is reached. Something I do not see Steelers doing, that simply isn't the M.O. of the Steelers oraganization.

Kingmagyar
08-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Wallace's future with the Steelers has been decided by the Magic 8 Ball.

The answer "Outlook not so good."

If you don't have one then you can use a virtual one online.

http://magic8ballonline.com/8ball/index.cfm?go=yes

EverythingPiffburgh
08-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Respect from Steelers Nation. I'm all for getting what you deserve but Larry Fitz money? :chuckle: You need to show up in the second half of the season too to get that type of money.

Hawaii 5-0
09-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Steelers’ Wallace’s learning curve shouldn’t be steep

By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, September 3, 2012

Better than average

Mike Wallace’s yards-per-catch average and NFL ranking (based on an average of at least one reception per game).

2011 — 20th, 16.6 yards (72 catches, 1,193 yards)

2010 — 2nd, 21.0 yards (60 catches, 1,257 yards)

2009 — 1st, 19.4 yards (39 catches, 756 yards)

A Mike Wallace-only minicamp rapidly prepared the Steelers’ wide receiver to get up and running for his first practice since last season.

Despite Wallace’s absence from training camp in Latrobe and every other team activity since the end of last season, his teammates expect Wallace to run with the starters Sunday night in Denver.

“I think he’ll be in there quite a bit,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Monday.

The reasoning is simple. No playbook study or video-watching session can prepare a player to run as fast as Wallace does — he was timed at 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash in college — and it’s obvious the Steelers’ offense is much less scary without Wallace outrunning defenders downfield.

“It’s the one thing we were missing,” safety Ryan Clark said.

Wallace practiced Monday for the first time since ending a 35-day holdout that began when he didn’t get a new contract by the start of camp July 25. According to Wallace, he rotated in with the other receivers, much like he would any other practice.

The big question as Wallace sat out was how long it would take him to get comfortable with new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s playbook, one that his teammates say is substantially different from that of former coordinator Bruce Arians’.

Rather than wait out his teammates’ three-day weekend break that started after their preseason game against Carolina on Thursday, Wallace — who reported last Tuesday — showed up at the Steelers’ practice complex Friday and Saturday to get a condensed version.

The sessions were so long and intense, Wallace said, that wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery allowed him only a few minutes off for lunch before they resumed work. Wallace gave Montgomery only Sunday off so the assistant could have one day with his wife and children.

“He gave me a big jump with that,” Wallace said. “Coach is always a good person about that. He loves working anyway. He didn’t want me to really go home
(over the weekend), so he was in there, keeping me. … Those days, those hours really helped me and I appreciate that a lot.”

Wallace picked up so much during the cram course, he was comfortable with all of the play calls Monday. Wallace and Montgomery also talked periodically while Wallace trained in Orlando this summer with conditioning expert Tom Shaw.

“It’s really the terminology (that’s different),” Wallace said. “There’s not too much (different) as far as the plays. Once you’re in the NFL, I think all that stuff starts to run together. Of course, you have a couple of different plays, but I feel like the terminology is the main thing. I like where I am right now.”

Then Wallace smiled and said, “His (Montgomery’s) job depends on me, so he wants me to be up to speed.”

The Steelers’ season might depend on whether Wallace can return to being the big-play receiver he was for most of his first three NFL campaigns, when he averaged at least 16.6 yards per catch every season. But while Wallace started last season with three consecutive 100-yard receiving games, he had only one more the rest of the season.

Wallace will feel more comfortable if he can practice Wednesday — after the game plan is installed — with as little trouble as he experienced Monday. He doesn’t think Haley will hold back any of his playbook just because Wallace wasn’t there in Latrobe learning it with the other receivers.

“I’ve got to know everything. I can’t just run down the field,” Wallace said. “I have to be able to do short (routes), long, and it was a good day for me. … I don’t think they have to hold back too much.”

Roethlisberger said how much Wallace plays Sunday depends on several variables.

“How’s he practicing? How’s his wind? What’s the call? I’m sure there are plays (he’ll miss), he’s not going to be able to play every play — no one does,” Roethlisberger said.

Wallace has until Sunday to work out a new multiyear contract. Even if he doesn’t sign, the Steelers could designate him as their franchise player and bring back yet again next season. For now, he insists that isn’t on his mind.

“It’s fun being with these guys,” Wallace said. “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

Even if the one place he wants to be was the one place he couldn’t be found until last week.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2529696-85/wallace-season-steelers-monday-yards-montgomery-plays-practice-run-sunday#ixzz25RtkXf25

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Something seems different with Mike Wallace

by Mark Kaboly

http://losthatsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mike-wallace-2012.jpg

Wide receiver Mike Wallace, or the self-proclaimed "Fast Money" member of the "Young Money Crew" likely won't get his "Big" money from the Steelers. Wallace and the Steelers have until approximately 3 p.m. Saturday to sign a long-term deal, or Wallace will play the final year of his contract without any assurances for the future. Maybe that's why Wallace has seemed different in the locker room ever since his return last week. Usually, Wallace is engaging with his teammates, as well as the media. This year, he doesn't appear to be interested in flashing that infectious smile and outgoing personality -- sort of like he has other things on his mind. Now, it's early, but could this be a precursor of things to come especially if Wallace and the Steelers don't get a deal done within the next few days? If a deal doesn't get done, it is going to be interesting to see if Wallace will be able to let that not affect him.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/cc85f311-330c-4411-944b-5ea970225b9d/?source=twitter

zcoop
09-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Mike's a pro, he will do his job whether a deal is raeached or not.

steelfury02
09-08-2012, 10:42 AM
wow - really measuring how much he smiles or opinion of how he interacts with teammates?

oooook

pancake
09-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Both sides needs to work out a deal...

Atlanta Dan
09-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Both sides needs to work out a deal...

And Harrison really needs to recover from his knee injury - what we want to happen and what will happen are 2 different matters

Steelers and Wallace had the off season to work something out - Wallace flipped off the Steelers by not reporting and the Steelers reciprocated by signing Antonio Brown to a long term deal within the week

Wallace will not get a long term deal in Pittsburgh

FrancoLambert
09-08-2012, 02:13 PM
And Harrison really needs to recover from his knee injury - what we want to happen and what will happen are 2 different matters

Steelers and Wallace had the off season to work something out - Wallace flipped off the Steelers by not reporting and the Steelers reciprocated by signing Antonio Brown to a long term deal within the week

I'm beginning to see it the same way.
I think if he puts up monster numbers this season they will pay him the big $$ he wants.
However, short of monster numbers I think they may let him walk.
I hope it works out that we keep him.

pancake
09-08-2012, 03:11 PM

Then that hurts both sides.

GoFor7
09-08-2012, 03:17 PM
The deals that DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson got made this difficult. The Steelers were offering Wallace less than what those two make. And while it may have been a more than fair deal, Wallace is definately a better receiver than DeSean Jackson.

It sucks, but that the chain reaction when other teams overpay. And with question marks about what will happen with the cap in 2014, this won't get any easier for the Steelers.

zcoop
09-08-2012, 04:16 PM
The deals that DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson got made this difficult. The Steelers were offering Wallace less than what those two make. And while it may have been a more than fair deal, Wallace is definately a better receiver than DeSean Jackson.

It sucks, but that the chain reaction when other teams overpay. And with question marks about what will happen with the cap in 2014, this won't get any easier for the Steelers.

Just the nature of the beast. Business as usual in sports.

GBMelBlount
09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
I am just glad he is here at least this year and likely next.

If Wallace, Brown and Sanders stay healthy this could be a crazy good year for our offensive production.

Vis
09-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm beginning to see it the same way.
I think if he puts up monster numbers this season they will pay him the big $$ he wants.
However, short of monster numbers I think they may let him walk.
I hope it works out that we keep him.

If he puts up a monster season what will be his demand?

tony hipchest
09-08-2012, 07:17 PM
reports are as soonas the team plane took off from pgh to denver, negotiations with wallace were off. so no extension and he will be an available free agent unless they decide to franchise him.

on with the season.

Steelersfan87
09-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Mike Prisuta ‏@DVEMike
#Steelers arrive Den., no extensions anticipated pre-kickoff Sun. for UFAs to be. Said one team official of 17, "We'll try again next year."

Hawaii 5-0
09-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Steelers Notebook: Wallace's contract talks end for year

September 10, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DENVER -- Sunday not only marked the beginning of the season for the Steelers, it signaled the end of negotiations between them and wide receiver Mike Wallace.

It comes as no surprise that there will be no multiple-year contract for Wallace. He did not end his holdout until two days before the final preseason game. That left them a dozen to try to work out a new contract, because the Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating contracts once the regular season starts.

"Talks" may be too strong a word to describe the discussions between the Steelers and Wallace's agent over the past 12 days. Very little went on.

So, Wallace will play this year for a salary of more than $2.7 million. At the end of the season, talks could open again on a multiple-year contract.

If he does not sign, he could become an unrestricted free agent in March, provided the Steelers do not put the franchise tag on him. That would cost them close to $11 million next season if they do. And they can also put the franchise tag on him a second time in 2014.

Whether they do or not in '13 could depend on how Wallace performs this season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-wallaces-contract-talks-end-for-year-652663/#ixzz26BK2h5np

Darkstorm05
09-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Yea, this situation won't be news until January comes by. I think his holdout will cost him some yardage and TDs this year, but he'll demand that 10+ mil a year payday anyway, and will either walk, or get franchised and throw a fit. Really, look at his behavior so far. I think he goes out the way Santonio did.

infoleather
09-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Skipped all of training camp, and will not be fined. Mr. Rooney no hard feelings, he just made ​​a collective bargaining.

steeltheone
09-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Not sure he is better than D. Jax.... I am sure he is not worth 10 mill to the Steelers!

TRH
09-20-2012, 11:06 AM
At this point, i don't think WE will sign him. We have huge, major dollars we're going to need to start pumping into our defense, and thats only to start.

IMO, Wallace hasn't "lost money" though. Have you seen the way the other, undisciplined (and usually mediocre) teams were throwing money around the last couple off-seasons????

He'll definitely get his big offer.......from somewhere else. It could be one of many....but my hunch is that he signs elsewhere (i don't think we'll lock him down to where he can't sign somewhere else). I think both sides would like to part ways, although neither will actually say it.

steelfury02
09-20-2012, 11:12 AM
if Wallace wants even more money over having lots of money and contending, then I say so be it

Some young gun in college right now is waiting for their opportunity . . .