PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro's Injury Not as Serious As Initially Thought

3rdandlong
08-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Here's some good news: The Post-Gazette is reportiong that the Steelers are saying DeCastro will probably be back sometime this year. The most likely estimate is around the midpoint of the season. I even heard someone say it was possible he could be back week 5 (I'd be shocked). This is great news considering how bad the injury looked and thinking that he was likely done for the season.

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12241/1257262-66.stm

Bayz101
08-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Nice. Glad to hear it, although I only want him back at 100%. I'm not as much worried about his performance on returning as I am his health. If him sitting out the entire years means he'll be 120% ready next year, I think he should go on the IR. Don't want his career jeopardized just to play this year.

Fire Arians
08-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Nice. Glad to hear it, although I only want him back at 100%. I'm not as much worried about his performance on returning as I am his health. If him sitting out the entire years means he'll be 120% ready next year, I think he should go on the IR. Don't want his career jeopardized just to play this year.

agree 100%, this kid still has a long future ahead, bring him back only if ready

Steel_Bus_24
08-28-2012, 12:54 PM
yeah I don't want a Troy 09 situation

GoFor7
08-28-2012, 01:08 PM
One problem with not IRing DeCastro is the Steelers will basically have a 51 man roster for probably most of the first half of the season with Mendenhall off the PUP list.

tucker6
08-28-2012, 01:21 PM
One problem with not IRing DeCastro is the Steelers will basically have a 51 man roster for probably most of the first half of the season with Mendenhall off the PUP list.

I hear what you're saying, but how much do the 52nd and 53rd guys contribute to the team beyond being bodies for special teams and foreign squads? Most of those guys are developmental in my opinion.

SoCalFan
08-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Great news but agree they should rehab him til he is 100%, even going a few weeks extra rehab, rather than bring him back even at 95%...

FrancoLambert
08-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Game 5? Mid season?
No way.
He's too valuable an asset for the future to risk a setback.
Suck it up this year with Foster and ?
Pray for no more injuries to the O-line.
Let him heal FULLY, rehab to "good as new," then keep him involved on the sideline to observe, learn more, and get hungrier for next year.
Can't afford to screw this one up.

BGSU A Dub
08-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Great news on DeCastro's injury not being as serious but I'm with you guys... don't rush him back.

kan_t
08-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Agree that the Steelers shouldn't rush his rehab. At the same time I'm sure the Steelers take it into consideration when they think that he can play this year.

GBMelBlount
08-28-2012, 10:41 PM
DeCastro will have to get healthy and then STILL learn to play at the NFL level.

I am hoping they view him as playing this year only if he is cleared AND we become desperate.

OX1947
08-28-2012, 10:49 PM
I said this in the previous thread. Let him rest for the first 10 games. If healthy, bring him back for the final 6 games and then he can get his wind back in those six games and be ready to beast it in the playoffs.

I am curious how dislocating a knee isn't serious though?

GoFor7
08-28-2012, 11:22 PM
According to Tomlin's earlier press conference, they may decide weather or not to IR DeCastro based off his surgery and how much damage the doctors find while they're operating on him.

Steelersfan87
08-28-2012, 11:39 PM
If he's healthy, he plays, period.

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2012, 11:50 PM
you can put a player on the PUP list for 6 weeks then they have 3 weeks after that to either put them on active or IR....:noidea:

Players placed on the PUP list must sit out their team's first six games, which means the earliest Suggs could return is Oct. 21 versus the Houston Texans (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/hou/houston-texans). However, he is expected to miss at least the first half of the 2012 season, if not more, after tearing his Achilles in April.
If Suggs is unable to return after the Ravens' sixth game, he can practice up to three weeks from then before the Ravens must decide whether to place him on the active roster.

The rules state that players on PUP do not count against the 53-man roster. However, the trade-off is that for the first six weeks of the season, they cannot participate in practice. They can only continue their rehabilitation and attend meetings.

Steelersfan87
08-28-2012, 11:55 PM
You can't put a player on the Reserve (regular season) PUP list if he didn't spend all of training camp on the Active (preseason) PUP list. The Steelers have nobody eligible for the PUP list now that Harrison and Worilds were activated.

MasterOfPuppets
08-28-2012, 11:59 PM
You can't put a player on the Reserve (regular season) PUP list if he didn't spend all of training camp on the Active (preseason) PUP list. The Steelers have nobody eligible for the PUP list now that Harrison and Worilds were activated.

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a three-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional three-week window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physically_Unable_to_Perform

Steelersfan87
08-29-2012, 12:02 AM
You just quoted this yourself:

A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2012, 12:05 AM
lol...after further review...YOU ARE CORRECT !!!...HE IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE PUP LIST...:doh:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/rules-of-the-pup-list-why-david-decastro-is-not-eligible-for-it/

bigbenzbrokenose
08-30-2012, 02:35 AM
Who cares? We are going to suck anyways

Hawaii 5-0
08-30-2012, 02:40 AM

since you are a Broncos fan I will agree with you...

vasteeler
08-30-2012, 10:26 AM

:doh:

steelax04
08-30-2012, 11:33 AM

Can we get an over/under on how long this guy keeps posting? Trolls are usually short lived, but this guy may have some Timmay sustainability.

Vis
08-30-2012, 12:00 PM
NFLPA agrees to later trade deadline, injured reserve exception
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 30, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
David DeCastro AP

In a surprise move, the NFL Players’ Association has agreed to the NFL’s request that the trade deadline be moved back from Week Six to Week Eight, and that one player per team can return to the field later in the season after being placed on injured reserve.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the players’ union agreed to the rules changes today, just a week after the union was saying no deal because the league was trying to tie those rules to changes in the rules about padded practices. It’s unclear for now how the union and the NFL were able to find common ground on the issue.

The change means that the trade deadline will now be the Tuesday after the Week Eight games, instead of the Tuesday after the Week Six games. That could be great news for teams that suffer an injury to a key player in Week Seven or Week Eight and need to trade for a player to replace him. Detractors of the rules change have suggested it could encourage bad teams to give up on the season and trade away their best players for draft picks.

With the injured reserve rule, one player per team may go on IR early in the season and then return to the field later in the season. So a player who suffers an injury that’s expected to keep him out for a few months could go on IR but still play again. Steelers rookie offensive lineman David DeCastro, who is expected to miss about three months with the knee injury he suffered last week, could be a perfect fit for the new system.

GOOD NEWS

GoFor7
08-30-2012, 12:06 PM
NFLPA agrees to later trade deadline, injured reserve exception
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 30, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
David DeCastro AP

In a surprise move, the NFL Playersí Association has agreed to the NFLís request that the trade deadline be moved back from Week Six to Week Eight, and that one player per team can return to the field later in the season after being placed on injured reserve.

ESPNís Adam Schefter reported that the playersí union agreed to the rules changes today, just a week after the union was saying no deal because the league was trying to tie those rules to changes in the rules about padded practices. Itís unclear for now how the union and the NFL were able to find common ground on the issue.

The change means that the trade deadline will now be the Tuesday after the Week Eight games, instead of the Tuesday after the Week Six games. That could be great news for teams that suffer an injury to a key player in Week Seven or Week Eight and need to trade for a player to replace him. Detractors of the rules change have suggested it could encourage bad teams to give up on the season and trade away their best players for draft picks.

With the injured reserve rule, one player per team may go on IR early in the season and then return to the field later in the season. So a player who suffers an injury thatís expected to keep him out for a few months could go on IR but still play again. Steelers rookie offensive lineman David DeCastro, who is expected to miss about three months with the knee injury he suffered last week, could be a perfect fit for the new system.

GOOD NEWS

About time DeMaurice Smith stopped being an asshat. Now there can be less pressure on DeCastro to come back too soon.

tony hipchest
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Who cares? We are going to suck anywayslisten fukstick, i can ban your ass on your next visit to this board, OR you can remain a member, quit polluting OUR threads, talk some of your limp wristed smack in the appropriate forum, and then leave on your own with your troll tail betweeen your legs after the steelers kick the buck toothed, horse faced, broncos teeth in, week 1.

you decide.

as for your childish nonsense, to this point, it has gone virtually unnoticed. you are not annoying anyone or ticking anyone off, nobody has laughed or even got pissed off. you have basically been nothing but ignored.

its one thing to be a failure in real life but its completely pathetic to be an utter failure on da internetz. besides you, who the hell fails at being an internet troll?

:rofl: i take it back.... you DID make me laugh.