PDA

View Full Version : Harrison and Worilds off of PUP

Steelersfan87
08-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Bob Labriola ‏@BobLabriola
Harrison and Worilds come off PUP. This means both will be on the season-opening 53-man roster come Friday, and not the reserve/PUP list.

Steelersfan87
08-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Wallace signs tender; Harrison, Worilds activated
Posted 12 minutes ago
The Steelers made several roster moves today that included wide receiver Mike Wallace signing his tender, the team announced today.

Wallace, in his fourth year with the team, signed his tender and will be eligible to practice with the team beginning Monday, Sept. 3. Wallace has played in 48 career games with 34 starts, and he was named a Pro Bowl starter following the 2011 season.

Additionally, the Steelers activated veteran linebackers James Harrisonand Jason Worilds from the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) List.

Harrison is in his ninth season with the Steelers and has played in 118 career games with 82 starts. He has been named a starter in five straight Pro Bowls and was named the AP Defensive Player of the Year in 2008. Harrison was recovering from a knee and back injury.

Worilds is in his third year with the Steelers after being drafted in the second round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He has played in 26 career games with seven starts, and he was recovering from a wrist injury.

The Steelers have released running back Jason Ford, who was signed earlier in training camp.

pancake
08-28-2012, 04:18 PM
It's nice to get some good news... lol

FrancoLambert
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
This just in.....Worilds re-injured his wrist zipping up his fly.

OX1947
08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Harrison will make a Worilds a difference.

Fire Arians
08-28-2012, 10:17 PM
worilds = bust

OX1947
08-28-2012, 10:21 PM
worilds = bust

"Troy Polomalu=Bust" (After the 2003 season)

ETL
08-28-2012, 11:32 PM
worilds = bust

I think bust may be too strong of a word but he certainly has not lived up to his expectations. I wished we drafted Sean Lee or Golden Tate at that draft spot. I was wrong about Tate but I kinda wish we had Lee.

Fire Arians
08-28-2012, 11:37 PM

yeah and now it's 2 years in a row of blown opportunities for worilds because he can't stay off the injury list. he's the OLB version of chris fuamatu-ma'afala. talent and potential mean jack if you're never healthy enough to play

tony hipchest
08-28-2012, 11:54 PM
atleast worilds isnt vernon gholston, aaron maybin, curry, the guy from baltimore who headbutted 2 flights of stairs (who is about to be cut), etc...

we are no longer the only team running the 3-4 defense in the league. we are no longer afforded the luxory of taking the pick of the litter with 4th-6th round picks when it comes to selecting these.DE converted to LB hybrids.

hell, some people (none outside of steelerfans) still dont believe we struck gold with lamaar woodley.

i understand that penn state favorite sean lee has been great, but he very well coulda followed the same path of his penn state ILB predacessor who went to buffalo in the l. timmons draft.

the draft is a crapshoot. david decastro could turn into our next "injury prone" bust for all we know.

Steelersfan87
08-29-2012, 12:57 AM
What exactly were the "expectations" for Worilds?

Bayz101
08-29-2012, 01:55 AM

He was a a second-round draft pick.

ricardisimo
08-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Indeed. What does it matter if he's injured, when he's playing behind James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley? It sucks that he's been injured so often at the same time as them, but ultimately he's playing behind two perennial Pro Bowlers, so... :noidea:

Steelersfan87
08-29-2012, 03:20 AM
He was a a second-round draft pick.

I'm aware of that, but it doesn't answer the question. DeCastro, Pouncey, Hood, and Heyward were all first round picks, but their expectations were different.

Galax Steeler
08-29-2012, 03:49 AM
I still have hopes for Worilds, I have watched him play alot and hopefully he will take to the nfl better this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-29-2012, 07:34 AM
This just in.....Worilds re-injured his wrist zipping up his fly.

:toofunny:

ETL
08-29-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm aware of that, but it doesn't answer the question. DeCastro, Pouncey, Hood, and Heyward were all first round picks, but their expectations were different.

As a second round pick 3 years ago, I would expect him to be challenging someone like James Harrison for a starting job. I would argue that Carter has a better chance at starting if Harrison gets injured than does Worilds.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-29-2012, 05:05 PM
As a second round pick 3 years ago, I would expect him to be challenging someone like James Harrison for a starting job. I would argue that Carter has a better chance at starting if Harrison gets injured than does Worilds.

You may have a good arguement. You cant help the club from the tub...........and Worilds always seems to be in the tub.

I think the expectation of Worilds would be that he contribute to the team hopefully as much as drafting somebody else like Sean Lee, Pat Angerer or Brandon Spikes might have. I hope he turns out to be an asset and not Alonzo Jackson II.

Hawaii 5-0
08-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Wake-up call: Harrison to practice Monday

August, 29, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

STEELERS: The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting that linebacker James Harrison (knee), who was activated off the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, will practice Monday. If there is no setback, the expectation is for Harrison to play in the season opener at Denver, although he may be limited. The same goes for backup linebacker Jason Worilds, who is recovering from wrist surgery. Even if Harrison is on a snap count, it would be a big boost for the Steelers. In going against Peyton Manning in the season opener, Pittsburgh needs Harrison to be on the field in pass-rushing situations.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/53658/wake-up-3

Jpeezyiseternal
08-31-2012, 02:17 PM

Hes got a damn good point. And remember how Kendrell looked like a future Mike Singletary after his rookie year?

Steelersfan87
09-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Regarding the report that Worilds couldn't hinge his wrist to take on blockers, his response was that he doesn't even know what that means, and that he was hinging his wrist just fine all day. He also said he's not worried about a loss of grip strength.

As far as Harrison goes, he reportedly did more than he was scheduled to do and had to be pulled early by the team; surprising to precisely nobody. He said that he lost weight overall from last season but gained upper body strength because he doesn't do lower body work until last week. He said that his legs grew weary toward the end of the practice, but that should be expected, since this is like the first day of training camp for him.

Hawaii 5-0
09-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Harrison: knee 'A-OK,' hopes to play for Steelers Sunday

September 4, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/247/189/james-harrison_420.jpg

James Harrison sacks Seattle quarterback Tarvaris Jackson during a game at Heinz Field last season.

James Harrison signaled today that his left knee came through Monday's practice without any negative reaction.

Harrison practiced for the first time on Monday after missing the entire preseason with swelling in the knee that required arthroscopic surgery Aug. 15. He said after that practice that today would be important, based on how his knee reacted to the stress. If it "blows up," he said, "that's it."

But afer Harrison showed up for treatment on the knee Tuesday, he gave the "A-OK" sign when he was asked how it reacted. He wore no brace or bandage of any kind on his knee.

Mike Tomlin said at his press conference today that he does not have expectations one way or the other as to the Pro Bowl linebacker's ability to play on Sunday for the season opener in Denver.

"James is a guy that's a competitor," Tomlin said. "I know that if it's within his power to be there and perform and, particularly for his teammates, he will be. I have had no reservations about him in that regard.

"The issue is just whether or not he gets a clean bill of health from our medical staff. He has to this point in terms of being able to practice. We'll see how his body responds to that work and let that be a determinant about how we move forward."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/harrison-practices-hopes-to-play-for-steelers-on-sunday-651834/#ixzz25cHEUUqJ

Hawaii 5-0
09-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Ed: Harrison Tells Reporters to Get 'Out of My Face'

WEDNESDAY, 05 SEPTEMBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Linebacker James Harrison, trying to come back from Aug. 15 arthroscopic knee surgery, was limited in practice Wednesday after giving a couple reporters the “A-OK” sign Tuesday regarding his health.

Afterward, he gave reporters a different kind of oral hand signal when he was asked about his health.

“I don’t know, we’ll see. I’ll talk to y’all Friday. Peace out. Out of my face.”

Coach Mike Tomlin, on a conference call, told the Denver media Wednesday that Harrison will play if he makes it through the week ok.

"He practiced Monday and did well," Tomlin said. "He came in and was no worse for wear. We're just taking it day-by-day. I think Monday's work was a positive day, but we'll continue to watch and see where it takes us."

In other injury news, linebackers Larry Foote (left ankle) and Stevenson Sylvester (MCL) did not practice, although Foote should be able to do so today. Halfback Baron Batch (groin) was limited in practice.

Previously injured players who went through a full practice besides Mendenhall and Redman were Keisel (ankle) and linebacker Jason Worilds (wrist).

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117911-ed-harrison-tells-reporters-to-get-out-of-my-face

tony hipchest
09-05-2012, 08:18 PM
"get out of my face"

every single beat writer and local media/blogger been tweeting and writing about this all day as if the evil debil slapped their mommas. there will probably be 30-40 local tv spots and articles on it tomorrow.

certainly being made out as the biggest story since winning the 08 superbowl or bens motorcycle accident. :rolleyes:

OX1947
09-05-2012, 09:06 PM
"get out of my face"

every single beat writer and local media/blogger been tweeting and writing about this all day as if the evil debil slapped their mommas. there will probably be 30-40 local tv spots and articles on it tomorrow.

certainly being made out as the biggest story since winning the 08 superbowl or bens motorcycle accident. :rolleyes:

You alright man? Getting a little excited.

GoFor7
09-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Harrison didn't practice today.

Atlanta Dan
09-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Probably need to shut Harrison down for several more weeks

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 01:20 AM
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 05, 2012

Wednesday news, notes

The Steelers held their second practice of the week Wednesday and it wasn't all good news.

Linebacker James Harrison was limited Wednesday as he continues to work his way back from knee surgery.

Harrison shooed reporters away from his locker after practice, saying he would let everyone know Friday what his status is.

Harrison could still wind up playing, but at this point, it doesn't look good.

On the other hand, Jason Worilds was back as a full participant and looks like he's ready to go. Worilds, who had offseason wrist surgery, is listed as the top backup to LaMarr Woodley, but has more experience than Chris Carter.

@ Isaac Redman was back as a full participant on Wednesday and looks to be ready to go against the Broncos.

Redman said he doesn't know if it will be him or Jonathan Dwyer as the starter in Denver.

@ Linebacker Larry Foote was out today with an ankle issue, but it was just as likely the team wanted to get Brandon Johnson as many snaps as possible at Foote's spot inside.

@ The fact the Steelers haven't done anything with David DeCastro yet in terms of injured reserve tells me that they are indeed looking to bring in a veteran to replace him.

That veteran is likely Trai Essex, despite some reports to the contrary. Right now, they have just three healthy backup linemen. And two of those are rookies Mike Adams and Kelvin Beachum.

I can guarantee you they aren't confident in putting Beachum in a regular season game at this point.

Essex will be back next week when the Steelers won't be on the hook for his entire salary.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

GoFor7
09-07-2012, 12:04 PM
From the Steelers' website:

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/09/07/harrison-misses-practice-would-like-to-play/

Harrison misses practice, would like to play
Posted by Teresa Varley on September 7, 2012 – 12:50 pm

Linebacker James Harrison missed practice for the second day in a row on Friday as his knee continues to heal.

“The word is I didn’t practice today,” said Harrison. “The knee didn’t feel too good. They want to let it rest and see if rest will help it and make the decision when the game comes.”

Harrison said he would “definitely like to play,” but if the Steelers-Broncos game were today he wouldn’t be able to.

“There was a little swelling, nothing major,” said Harrison. “It’s more irritation and a little pain. The soft tissue hasn’t healed yet. It’s just sore.”

Harrison said he would list himself as a game time decision for Sunday night’s matchup in Denver, but isn’t sure what Coach Mike Tomlin has in mind.

“I don’t know,” said Harrison. “You would have to ask him. I am not in his head right now.”

Atlanta Dan
09-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Harrison will not play Sunday night

Here's the latest on James Harrison...

He did not practice for the second day in a row today and will not play in Sunday night’s season opener in Denver.

He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Chris Carter, who has been working at right outside linebacker since minicamp because of injuries to Harrison (knee) and top backup Jason Worilds (wirst).

The Steelers have not officially listed Harrison’s status for the game. They will do that later today.

Harrison returned to practice for the first time since last season on Monday. If he didn’t have any setbacks with his knee, the Steelers intended to start him against the Broncos.

Previously, Harrison made two other attempts to come back from his injury – once at minicamp, once at training camp – but each time his knee swelled when he tried to cut on it.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117930-gerry-harrison-wont-play-in-denver

Gerry Dulac tweeted this last week before Harrison practiced on Monday

Gerry Dulac‏@gerrydulac

If James Harrison’s knee swells this time when he returns to practice Monday, do not be surprised if he doesn't play for a loooong time. .

http://fr.twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/240901914538160128

This is a mess and was not helped by surgery not being performed months ago

GoFor7
09-07-2012, 02:48 PM
This is a mess and was not helped by surgery not being performed months ago

Agreed. I have no idea why they waited so long, especially with Worlids always having a sore vagina.

Steelersfan87
09-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I firmly believe him playing after the bye week is the absolute worst case scenario. It's really not much of a big deal. Worilds is back and will platoon with Carter.

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 05:58 PM
It's really not much of a big deal. Worilds is back and will platoon with Carter.

oh boy, do I ever feel reassured...

Steelersfan87
09-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Worilds is a good player that is proven capable of starting, and Carter had a great preseason. Have some confidence.

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Worilds is a good player that is proven capable of starting, and Carter had a great preseason. Have some confidence.

Worilds didn't play one snap this preseason and as for Chris Carter...well, I guess you and I have different definitions of what having a "great preseason" means.

in four preseason games, Chris Carter registered a total of 9 tackles and 1 sack...do you really think that is "great"?

Steelersfan87
09-07-2012, 06:39 PM
The team also has a different definition than you. You can't judge a performance on statistics alone.

GoFor7
09-07-2012, 06:47 PM
The team also has a different definition than you. You can't judge a performance on statistics alone.

^Why I'm not crazy about last year's "number one" defense.

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 07:08 PM

how the hell would you know, I never told you what my definition of a "great preseason" is. you are no more privy to what the Steelers really think about their players' preseason performances than I am.

Chris Carter has a difficult time setting the edge on running plays as he gets sucked inside too often. we'll see how "great" Chris Carter is this Sunday because I can guarantee you that the Broncos and Peyton Manning are going to come after him.

of course, then you'll probably whine about how you can't judge a player's performance on only one game...:blah:

Steelersfan87
09-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Tomlin, LeBeau, and Butler have all praised Carter's "great" preseason...calm down.

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Tomlin, LeBeau, and Butler have all praised Carter's "great" preseason...calm down.

the Steelers coaches have been pleased with Carter's progress, but you will soon see that Chris Carter is not yet ready to assume a starting OLB position on a full-time basis.

Steelersfan87
09-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Well, he's not assuming a starting role on a full-time basis...it's not even guaranteed that he will start week 1 over Worilds, and it's far from written in stone that Harrison won't be back week 2. I can't foresee Harrison being out more than 3 games at worst.

Hawaii 5-0
09-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Well, he's not assuming a starting role on a full-time basis...it's not even guaranteed that he will start week 1 over Worilds, and it's far from written in stone that Harrison won't be back week 2. I can't foresee Harrison being out more than 3 games at worst.

of course Chris Carter would start Week 1 over Worilds since your boy Jason Worilds hasn't even taken one defensive snap so far.

especially since Chris Carter had such a "great preseason"...:jerkit:

Steelersfan87
09-08-2012, 01:17 AM
I don't understand why you feel the need to reply so abrasively. I don't have a "boy", and neither do you. I don't know any of them personally. They're just people on a sports team that I like, and I'm sharing my thoughts on said people and said team. You don't have to get annoyed if you think differently about the team or about a person on the team than I do.

Hawaii 5-0
09-08-2012, 01:25 AM
I don't understand why you feel the need to reply so abrasively. I don't have a "boy", and neither do you. I don't know any of them personally. They're just people on a sports team that I like, and I'm sharing my thoughts on said people and said team. You don't have to get annoyed if you think differently about the team or about a person on the team than I do.

calm down and get over it...

Steelersfan87
09-08-2012, 03:05 AM
Nevermind then.

teegre
09-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Deja vu... all over again.