PDA

View Full Version : Critics counting the Steelers out

SH-Rock
08-28-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054822/article/will-todd-haleys-offense-pay-dividends

Bucky Brooks
Mike Tomlin wants the Steelers to return to their running roots, but the lack of a franchise running back will force Ben Roethlisberger to shoulder the offensive load again in 2012.
Prediction: 9-7, third in AFC North

Daniel Jeremiah
The Steelers will be legitimate contenders as long as Ben Roethlisberger is healthy and Dick LeBeau is running the defense. However, a lot of moving parts need to come together on offense, and the older defensive stars must avoid injury.
Prediction: 8-8, third in AFC North
Pretty sure we got rid of our "older" players.

Adam Schein
I'm very concerned about the offensive line, the health of Rashard Mendenhall, the happiness of Mike Wallace, whether or not Wallace will learn the new playbook and the dynamic between Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley.
Prediction: 8-8, third in AFC North
All offseason Ben this, Haley that. I haven't heard of one altercation between the two.

Steve Wyche
The Todd Haley-Ben Roethlisberger union will bear huge fruit. The Steelers' offense will ring up a lot of points and let the defense tee off.
Prediction: 11-5, second in AFC North

Steelersfan87
08-28-2012, 10:37 PM
I thought Bucky Brooks was full of crap when he predicted the Steelers would go 9-7 and finish third in the division in 2009. Of course, he ended up being right, but I still think he was full of crap.

OX1947
08-28-2012, 10:52 PM
While I hate the "Nobody believed in us" mantra of the ever regurgitating cliches most of the brain surgeon athletes spew on a daily basis, post 1970's teams, Steeler teams just seem to perform better when they are predicted to suck. When ever they are favored, they always fall. So, preach on that this team is old and slow and done, they will go 12-4 and be in the playoffs.

SoCalFan
08-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Being lifelong Steelers fans, you should be used to this! Happens EVERY year and I LOVE it!

GoFor7
08-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Well the experts are never wrong. Fire the coaching staff. Fire Colbert. The Rooneys should sell the team and hide in shame. Trade all the players. Move the franchise to Los Angeles.

ETL
08-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Who is Adam Schein? Isn't he the guy that will paint your car for $99.99?

Hawaii 5-0
08-29-2012, 01:09 AM

inflation, I think he charges $109.99 now...

tanda10506
08-29-2012, 06:20 AM
I don't get this 2nd and 3rd in the division BS. They don't know whether to call us too old or too young. One minute we have to many new young guys. Next minute they act like we resigned Farrior, Ward, and Smith and that we are a bunch of geezers. Meanwhile they are choosing a team MUCH more inexperienced (Bengals) and a team who went the wrong direction in the off season and is anchored by a 37 year old LB and a 33 year old safety, to finish ahead of us. It's a pathetic double standard.

Vis
08-29-2012, 07:06 AM
I can't get upset about any prediction. During the buf game I predicted us to finish in all four positions at different times. I have no idea this year.

bigbenzbrokenose
08-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Being lifelong Steelers fans, you should be used to this! Happens EVERY year and I LOVE it!

It doesnt happen EVERY year, for the past 6 years Steelers have been the favorite, now the tides are starting to turn and they just aren't going to be as good as they are used to being. Lets face reality here.

madtowndrunkard
08-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Not to be argumentative, but I think many of the pundits are correct when they say we need our "older" defensive starters to stay healthy for us to be successful.

Troy and Harrison need to produce for us to win consistently. With out those two I think our defense looks a lot more average then most of us like to admit. If just one of those 2 can produce I think that makes a world of difference. If you remove these two it makes life 1000 X easier for the opponents. It's just a fact.

We also need Woodley and Timmons to continue their high level of play. Someone in the secondary needs to step up this year. IMO there's a lot that needs to go our way for our defense to play at the level we've been seeing the past 5 or so years. I will not be shocked if our defense doesn't take a big step back this year. We will need our offense to be WAY more efficient then in years past if we are going to get to the big show. For the first time in many years I think the offense needs to carry most of the load for us to have a winning season. I'm a little worried about our defense - in case you can't tell. Mostly I think we are losing our speed on defense. When Harrison and Troy are flying around like maniacs we are so much more deadly.

GoFor7
08-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Not to be argumentative, but I think many of the pundits are correct when they say we need our "older" defensive starters to stay healthy for us to be successful.

Troy and Harrison need to produce for us to win consistently. With out those two I think our defense looks a lot more average then most of us like to admit. If just one of those 2 can produce I think that makes a world of difference. If you remove these two it makes life 1000 X easier for the opponents. It's just a fact.

We also need Woodley and Timmons to continue their high level of play. Someone in the secondary needs to step up this year. IMO there's a lot that needs to go our way for our defense to play at the level we've been seeing the past 5 or so years. I will not be shocked if our defense doesn't take a big step back this year. We will need our offense to be WAY more efficient then in years past if we are going to get to the big show. For the first time in many years I think the offense needs to carry most of the load for us to have a winning season. I'm a little worried about our defense - in case you can't tell. Mostly I think we are losing our speed on defense. When Harrison and Troy are flying around like maniacs we are so much more deadly.

I agree. Tomlin can't go into a scared defensive shell heading into the 4th quarter with a small lead. It's not fair to the offense with all of that explosive talent and it's not fair to the defense to put all of the pressure on them again. Give Ben the keys to the offense. Unleash him. Sure, possessing the football helps a defense, but scoring points is the best way to make their job easier as they can then trade yards for taking time off the clock.

Atlanta Dan
08-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Heard Colin Cowherd and Warren Moom say today have to pick the Ravens to win the divison because of the winning tradition of the Ravens organization - got it

Fortunately the NFL is not like college football and how a team is perceived does not decide who wins (ask the News York Giants how that works) - predictions in the NFL are interesting but irrelevant

wera176
08-29-2012, 11:59 AM
"Heard Colin Cowherd and Warren Moom say today have to pick the Ravens to win the divison because of the winning tradition of the Ravens organization - got it"

:rofl:

Steelerfreak58
08-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Yup

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Heard Colin Cowherd and Warren Moom say today have to pick the Ravens to win the divison because of the winning tradition of the Ravens organization - got it

Fortunately the NFL is not like college football and how a team is perceived does not decide who wins (ask the News York Giants how that works) - predictions in the NFL are interesting but irrelevant
and the bengals are slotted to finish 2nd because of their winning tradition ?

GoFor7
08-29-2012, 01:03 PM
and the bengals are slotted to finish 2nd because of their winning tradition ?

That winning tradition of the Bengals will make up for the fact they lost their starting LG and center for the season!

tanda10506
08-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Wow. These commentators would probably gain credibility if they just came out and said they hate the Steelers. These limp d*** reasons they come up with for us losing or the Ravens winning makes them look oblivious....winning tradition??? I don't mind if commentators don't like us, it adds fuel to the fire IMO, but don't try to hide it by making up total nonsense.

grward
08-29-2012, 01:27 PM
While I hate the "Nobody believed in us" mantra of the ever regurgitating cliches most of the brain surgeon athletes spew on a daily basis, post 1970's teams, Steeler teams just seem to perform better when they are predicted to suck. When ever they are favored, they always fall. So, preach on that this team is old and slow and done, they will go 12-4 and be in the playoffs.

This!

And who cares what any idiot spews on TV or radio? I never did understand why every announcer sucks if they don't fully support the Steelers. I'm a die hard fan and how they perform is all that matters to me! BRING ON THE SEASON! :tt04:

FrancoLambert
08-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Ravens have a winning tradition? :sofunny:
1 Super Bowl win in 2001. :wink02:
No bowl appearances since. :rofl:
This qualifies as a "winning tradition?" :doh:

Let's review the math........6 > 1 whether you use new math or the old math.
What an idiotic statement.

Fire Arians
08-29-2012, 05:36 PM

lol that is just idiotic for them to say that.

Just looking at some things since the 2000 season:

Ravens
----------
Playoff Appearances: 8
Division Titles: 3
Conference Championships: 1
Super Bowl Championships: 1

Steelers
-----------
Division Titles: 5
Conference Championships: 3
Super Bowl Championships: 2

Now we won't go into alltime numbers because that will just be a landslide. But I have no idea how those idiots can make a comment like that about the ravens and not even mention it about the steelers. the ravens have a good track record over the past decade, no doubt, but the steelers have an even better one.

but the ravens will win because of their tradition of winning? w/e

SoCalFan
08-29-2012, 05:42 PM
It doesnt happen EVERY year, for the past 6 years Steelers have been the favorite, now the tides are starting to turn and they just aren't going to be as good as they are used to being. Lets face reality here.

Moron, we fly under the radar just about every year until mid season when eyes are opened!

teegre
08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
lol that is just idiotic for them to say that.

Just looking at some things since the 2000 season:

Ravens
----------
Division Titles: 3
Conference Championships: 1
Super Bowl Championships: 1

Steelers
-----------
Division Titles: 5

Now we won't go into alltime numbers because that will just be a landslide. But I have no idea how those idiots can make a comment like that about the ravens and not even mention it about the steelers. the ravens have a good track record over the past decade, no doubt, but the steelers have an even better one.

but the ravens will win because of their tradition of winning? w/e

Exactly. More importantly, since BB has been the QB, it is overwhelmngly Steeler-sided.

STEELERS
Playoff Appearances: 7
Division Titles: 4

RAVENS
Playoff Appearances: 5
Division Titles: 2
Conference Championships: zero
Super Bowl Championships: zero

And, let's not forget that the Steelers are 3-0 when facing the Ravens in the play-offs.

Ricco Suavez
08-29-2012, 05:54 PM
I do not have a problem with so-called experts picking against us. The Ravens had our number last year, the Bengals are the new "hot" team. We on the other hand have a mix of older players and some young unproven guys outside of Wallace, Brown, and Pouncey. We have a new OC and honestly we have not shown any real identity yet this preseason. I for one am cautiously optimistic, but I also have my doubts esp. concerning the O-line, the secondary, and just how healthy our team can be. I could see this team with this schedule finishing anywhere from 7-9 to 14-2, all I can say is get ready cause we fixin' to find out real soon.

teegre
08-29-2012, 05:55 PM
"Heard Colin Cowherd and Warren Moom say today have to pick the Ravens to win the divison because of the winning tradition of the Ravens organization - got it"

:rofl:

I listen to Colin Cowherd a lot (I have an hour & a half commute in the mornings).

Cowherd is very pro-Steeler. He loves the tradtion... and their knack for winning. He absolutely respects the Steelers... and thinks that BB is rad.

I heard him late last week discussing his season predictions, and he had the Steelers making the play-offs, but the Ravens winning the division. His rationale was that the Steelers are "too injured"... specifically talking about the injury to DD. But, even hobbled, he sees them making the play-offs, and being a legitimate contender (once in the play-offs) of making it to the SuperBowl. He said that PITT's season depends entirely on staying healthy.

And, I can't really disagree with that.

zcoop
08-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Yep, the haters will hate but the numbers don't lie. The Steelers always proves them wrong. I love it!

wera176
08-29-2012, 07:22 PM
"The Ravens had our number last year, the Bengals are the new "hot" team."

And we had the Raven's number the season before that, and, btw, the Bengals are the new "hot" team every other season or so. If history repeats itself, the Bengals will struggle to be over 500 this season...

btaylor179
08-29-2012, 09:08 PM
defense doesn't scare anyone any more/oline still sucks/schedule not to friendly equals 8-8

njsteeler87v2
08-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Of course, these are probably the same critics who predict NE to win the Super Bowl every year; Who cares. anyway? As long as everyone stays healthy, Pitt will prove them wrong for another season. I prefer to overachieve than become the "team to beat" any given day..

steelfury02
08-30-2012, 01:32 PM
the constant o-line shuffling is frustrating as hell, but Bengals over us?? I guess because they have a solid QB and a playmaking WR means Bengals > Steelers for those reasons alone? I don't think so. Do I think we'll be in for one hell of a fight at Cincy this season? Yes - but it took Carson quite a while to pull out a W in Pittsburgh.

Hawaii 5-0
08-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Previewing and predicting the Steelers

AUG 30
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Drum roll please ... my prediction for first place in the AFC North is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Now, before you crack open an Iron City in celebration, I should let everyone know my track record when it comes to predictions. I'm very good at predicting games week to week. But I'm absolutely terrible at season predictions. Last season, my forecast for the division (from first to worst) was: Steelers, Ravens, Browns and Bengals. In other words, I was wrong on every team.

Here's the preview page for the Steelers. And here's five things you need to know about them:

1. They want to run the ball: At least, run the ball more than they did last season, when they kept it on the ground 42 percent of the time. The 434 rushing attempts in 2011 were the Steelers' second-fewest total in the past 20 years. New offensive coordinator Todd Haley has returned the fullback to the Steelers' offense, and set the tone in training camp by running on nearly every play in the first full-team drill. With starting running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee) expected to miss the first month of the season, the Steelers are turning to Isaac Redman, who has averaged 4.5 yards per carry in his two-year career and ran for 121 yards in the playoff loss at Denver. Durability is a question mark for Redman, because he's had double-digit carries in only four career games and missed time this preseason with an injured hip.

2. Top-ranked defense isn't satisfied: The Steelers' defense finished No. 1 last season for the third time in Mike Tomlin's five years as coach, but the players don't feel as if they were dominant on that side of the ball. Pittsburgh was tied for 17th in the NFL with 35 sacks, and ranked last with 15 takeaways. The Steelers either had no takeaways or just one in 13 of 17 games last season (including the playoffs). Increasing the pressure on quarterbacks should increase turnovers. Healthy versions of James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley -- they missed a combined 11 games last season -- would boost both sacks and takeaways.

3. Stability on offensive line is much-needed: The blockers for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger were stuck in a bad game of musical chairs last season. The Steelers used a league-high 25 different offensive-line combinations, and they started four players at left guard. Pittsburgh showed its commitment to creating some continuity on the line by selecting offensive linemen with its first two picks in the 2012 draft (guard David DeCastro and tackle Mike Adams) and by re-signing tackle Max Starks. The Steelers moved Willie Colon from tackle to left guard, and started DeCastro at right guard from the start of the preseason. DeCastro, injured in the preseason against Buffalo, might not play this season, however. Starks and Adams are battling for the left tackle job.

4. Cornerbacks will get tested: Even though the run defense dropped from first to eighth last season, the target is on the Steelers' unproven cornerbacks. Keenan Lewis, the nickelback last season, is taking over for William Gay. Lewis has fought through injuries in training camp to keep the starting job from Cortez Allen, who is expected to be the third corner. Quarterbacks aren't going to be throwing in the direction of Ike Taylor. Only 41 percent of passes were completed against the seven-year starter last season. That means the pressure is on Lewis and Allen, who have combined for one start and one interception in their careers.

5. Timing is right for Roethlisberger: The two-time Super Bowl winner turned 30 this year, hitting the prime of his career. And with the retirement of Hines Ward, all eyes are on Roethlisberger to lead this offense. The key to Roethlisberger has been and always will be his health. He's recovered from an ankle injury that derailed his season, and he doesn't seem concerned about a small tear in his rotator cuff. Roethlisberger, who has been sacked at least 40 times in five of his past six seasons, has built a reputation of playing through pain. Imagine what he could do in an injury-free season.

DIVISION FINISH: 1st -- With all of the camp drama now over, Pittsburgh has the fewest questions of any team in the division. As long as Roethlisberger remains healthy and the defense remains in the top five, the Steelers are the class of the division.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

STEELAMANIA
08-30-2012, 06:33 PM
The critics can go into their bathroom stalls and fart like a storm all I care......half of them even if they did like the Steelers don't know jack about football. I see the same ol jump back on the whoever is hot now bandwagon all season long........same ol same ol.

LVSteelersfan
08-30-2012, 06:37 PM
I like Jamie Dukes better every day. They asked him and the guest host which two teams would not make the playoffs this year that made it last year. The guest (didn't catch his name) said the Steelers would not make it back. Jamie Dukes defended the Steelers Oline and said that they were the team that won the Super Bowl with the worst Oline ever and he would not bet that they would not make it back. Way to go Jamie Dukes. He constantly stands up for the Steelers unlike the other jokes on that network - Marshall Faulk, Fat A $ $ Sapp etc.

TheDoctorBeat
08-30-2012, 09:29 PM
the constant o-line shuffling is frustrating as hell, but Bengals over us?? I guess because they have a solid QB and a playmaking WR means Bengals > Steelers for those reasons alone? I don't think so. Do I think we'll be in for one hell of a fight at Cincy this season? Yes - but it took Carson quite a while to pull out a W in Pittsburgh.

I totally agree. Other than AJ Green, Dalton, and possibly Jermaine Gresham, they have no offensive weapons. Their RB Benson is gone, as is WR Simpson.

The Steelers are old and tend to be unhealthy, but we win with strategy more often anyway. Dick and Haley are gonna outsmart the other side week in and out. My main concern is lack of depth at CB.

SH-Rock
08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
I totally agree. Other than AJ Green, Dalton, and possibly Jermaine Gresham, they have no offensive weapons. Their RB Benson is gone, as is WR Simpson.

The Steelers are old and tend to be unhealthy, but we win with strategy more often anyway. Dick and Haley are gonna outsmart the other side week in and out. My main concern is lack of depth at CB.

I actually like this CB core. Lewis has been doing well and if one goes down (knock on wood) we have cortez allen that can step up.

steelfury02
08-31-2012, 11:27 AM
always going to question our O-line until we get a long stretch of solid performances without injuries

LB depth is my next major concern, and that was before the Spence injury . . .

gameface75
08-31-2012, 01:57 PM
These so called experts say the same crap every year ,and when the Steelers start whupin ass and takin names ,they all start trying to change their tunes.Experts my ass.

steelfury02
08-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Are there 6 AFC teams better than the Steelers?
Nope. We're in the dance again. Boom - that just happened.

Hawaii 5-0
09-03-2012, 09:16 PM
In Ben Steelers trust

Posted: Monday, September 3, 2012
By Mark Madden Times Sports Columnist

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/dd/5dd837ad-8670-5420-b433-187bb8353206/50454e633ff9e.preview-300.jpg

At 30 years old, Steelers veteran quaterback Ben Roethlisberger (7) is still in the prime of his career.

Sports Illustrated football guru Peter King says the Steelers will go 8-8 and finish third in the AFC North behind Baltimore and Cincinnati.

Sounds about right.

Black and gold blinders often keep Pittsburgh from seeing the Steelers as they really are. That can make a fall all the more disappointing. The Steelers are an extremely flawed, frayed and fragile team propped up by the best money quarterback in football, but not much else.

James Harrison is among the best outside linebackers in football. But he might not play very much.

Troy Polamalu is among the best safeties in football. But his breakneck style and accrued wear and tear mean the end comes sooner, not later.

Nose tackle is a critical position in the Steelersí 3-4 defense. Casey Hampton is close to his expiration date.

The problems are many. Some are great. Inexperience at corner opposite Ike Taylor.

Ziggy Hood regressed last season. The top half of the 2012 draft class got blown up.

David Johnson is out for the year; so much for resurrecting the fullback position. Running back lacks tenure and pedigree.

When you pile it all together, anything better than .500 seems a bit of a reach. The Steelers are beat up already, and the regular season hasnít yet started.

But Ben Roethlisberger gives the Steelers a shot at the playoffs, the division, postseason success, the Super Bowl, just about anything. Mike Wallace is back, the deep threat, the cherry on top of an excellent receiving corps. David DeCastroís injury depletes the offensive line, but if Willie Colon stays healthy, heís a major upgrade.

Thereís not necessarily more bad than good, but thereís much more shaky than certain.

It comes down to Roethlisberger. Can he, at 30, find another gear as he enters what should be his prime? Will new offensive coordinator Todd Haley spotlight Roethlisberger and help Wallace chase Larry Fitz money, or lean on Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer by way of appeasing Art Rooney II? "Look, granddaddy, we run the ball!"

Hopefully, Roethlisberger shoulders the burden. If the Steelers lose, heís going to get blamed no matter how much heís asked to do, so let him drive the bus.

Speaking of which, can Dwyer wrest the top running back job (or at least significant carries) from Redman? Heís a bit more bruising, a bit more in the Steelers mold. Heís got a bit more pedigree, too: Georgia Tech vs. Bowie State.

Running the ball is crucial from one standpoint: The less that creaky Steelers defense is on the field, the better.

Of all the potential negatives, Harrisonís condition is paramount. Without an effective pass rush, this version of the Steel Curtain really isnít too difficult to deal with.

Hereís betting Harrison is sidelined more than he plays. Uh-oh.

The AFC North may work in the Steelersí favor. The Ravens are as old and shopworn as the Steelers, especially at key positions, and their quarterback isnít as good. Whatever it is the Bengals never had, they still havenít got.

Itís a crapshoot. But given the early injury concerns and a defense thatís fragile in every sense of the word, 8-8 is my call. Mike Tomlin likes to say ďthe standard is the standard,Ē but you canít sprinkle black and gold pixie dust on Chris Carter and turn him into Harrison.

If the Steelers do miss the playoffs (or go one and done), itís time for some very hard personnel decisions. Do you risk keeping Ďem too long, or risk ditching Ďem too early?

http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/in-ben-steelers-trust/article_f872ce0b-730d-58f0-9080-c23082d29ed2.html

JohnWrightSteelerFan4Life
09-04-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm among those who love the negative predictions. We always do better when we are picked to fail. I am more pumped this year than I have been for some time. Losing DeCastro was a downer but I still feel we are set to make a run.

steelfury02
09-04-2012, 11:12 AM
and the Ravens offense looked worse than ours in the preseason, the defense looks soft up the middle with hardly any pass rush, they lost Suggs most likely for the season, but hey - they have the upper hand.

I'm actually starting to get more worried about the @ Cincy game than our first matchup with Bmore

GoFor7
09-04-2012, 11:17 AM
and the Ravens offense looked worse than ours in the preseason, the defense looks soft up the middle with hardly any pass rush, they lost Suggs most likely for the season, but hey - they have the upper hand.

I'm actually starting to get more worried about the @ Cincy game than our first matchup with Bmore

The Bengals lost both their starting LG and starting center for the season. Funny how that doesn't get talked about. The schedule is a bit harder this year than last, and there won't be as many bad teams for the Bengals to prey on like last year. Remember, 0-8 vs playoff teams last year.

BowCatShot
09-04-2012, 01:11 PM

Earl Scheib?

jiminpa
09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
But they are all so busy loving the Arians all flash no boom offense that they forget that we will actually score points on offense for the first time in six years, and get the defense off the field for more than three plays at a time. That's huge, even if the defense slips a little the offense will actually do something constructive.

...and we just might win a few chess matches on both sides of the ball now, if for no other reason than Haley has a reputation for adapting to what he has and that makes him an unknown to the league's DCs for a while.

sluggermatt15
09-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Go ahead and let the critics count the Steelers out. The expert's predictions usually end up NEVER being correct. I don't think there are high expectations from the Steelers this year, that is why we are being counted out. If I recall correctly, there weren't expectations in 2008 preseason, and we ended up winning the SB...

I have the Steelers winning 9 games this year. I hope the team wins more than that. Criticize me if you want and I am open to it. I need the team to prove me wrong.

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I applaud you sir for taking a realistic approach with your 9 win prediction

I always feel that this squad teeters between sitting at home for the playoffs or looking like a contender at 12-4. Who the heck knows. I have a feeling that a huge AFC road win in Denver would really propel this team and expectations

tony hipchest
09-05-2012, 10:09 PM
gil brandt picked the steelers.

i prefer to give the most creedence to the in depth analysts who know and have extensive knowledge of each and every team, from the first to the 53rd man on the roster (and practice squad players as well.

for instance-

SiriusXM NFL Radio

Tim Ryan & Pat Kirwans 2012 Divison Picks & Wild Cards!

NFC:
Tim - 49ers / NFC West ..........Pat - 49ers / NFC West
Tim - Packers / NFC North.......Pat - Packers / NFC North

Tim - Falcons / NFC South.......Pat - Falcons / NFC South
Tim - Eagles / NFC East ........Pat - Giants / NFC East

Wild Card: Tim: Lions & Saints
Wild Card: Pat: Eagles & Saints

AFC:
Tim - Chiefs / AFC West...........Pat - Broncos / AFC West
Tim - Steelers / AFC North........Pat - Steelers / AFC North
Tim - Texans / AFC South..........Pat - Texans / AFC South
Tim - Patriots / AFC East.........Pat - Patriots / AFC East

Wild Card: Tim: Ravens & Broncos
Wild Card: Pat: Ravens & Chiefs

Hawaii 5-0
09-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Starkey: Steelers look like 10-6 team

By Joe Starkey
Published: Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Their season starts in Denver, but the Steelers’ best chance for a successful campaign begins, as always, in the brutal AFC North.

Not even the Cleveland Browns can ruin this division’s reputation. It’s the only one that has sent multiple teams to the playoffs each of the past four seasons, including three in 2011.

Bet on this: More than one will make it again. The Steelers, Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals all appear capable of winning 10 games or more.

“Baltimore will be at the top of the AFC, as they are year-in and year-out,” says Steelers safety Ryan Clark. “Cincinnati made a push, and I think they can become a team that advances in the playoffs.”

Tongue planted firmly in cheek, Clark added: “And the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to be the Pittsburgh Steelers — we’re going to be old and slow, and we’re going to try to figure out if we can make some plays.”

The division’s nature has changed since its inception in 2002 (a year the Browns actually made the playoffs, by the way, with an offensive coordinator named Bruce Arians).

It’s a pass-first division now, no different than the rest of the league.

“The game is changing,” Clark says, “from a tough man’s sport into basketball with shoulder pads on.”

Conventional wisdom might still peg the Ravens as “run-first” and the Steelers as “getting back to the run,” but let’s be serious. The Ravens passed the ball 54 percent of the time last season, and the arrow is pointing up: They unveiled a no-huddle attack this preseason.

The Steelers have a $102 million quarterback and one of the NFL’s best receiving corps. Think they’re gonna line up with a fullback every play?

Like everybody else, AFC North teams must answer two critical questions if they are serious about winning a Super Bowl: 1. Can we pass? 2. Can we stop the pass?

Ancient Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis is a monument to the times: He has dropped 20 pounds in hopes of better defending the pass.

A look at the contenders …

STEELERS

• What we like best: Point potential from an offense that was the AFC’s youngest by the end of last season. … Ben Roethlisberger, who gives this team its best chance to win a seventh Super Bowl. … Youthful energy along the defensive line and proven star power in the back seven.

• Don’t like: Age and lack of depth looming in certain sectors of the defense (sorry, Ryan). … The fact that an offensive line that was supposed to be significantly upgraded really wasn’t.

• Breakout player: Ziggy Hood.

• Keeping an eye on: The budding relationship between Todd Haley and Roethlisberger. Over-under on first sideline blow-up: third quarter of Jets game, Week 2.

• Record: 10-6 (wild card)

RAVENS

• What we like: Joe Flacco’s new position coach: Jim Caldwell, who brought the no-huddle concepts used with Peyton Manning. … Ray Rice. … Under-the-radar impact players on defense, including Jameel McClain, Pernell McPhee and Bernard Pollard.

• Don’t like: Age and lack of depth looming in certain sectors of the defense (sound familiar?) … The fact that an offensive line that was supposed to be significantly upgraded really wasn’t (sound familiar?).

• Breakout player: Torrey Smith.

• Keeping an eye on: Terrell Suggs’ return from a torn Achilles. He vows to regain top form immediately. Seems unlikely.

Record: 11-5

BENGALS

• What we like: Dalton to Green. You’re going to be hearing that a lot. As Clark says, “Green is a superstar.” … A full offseason for coordinator Jay Gruden to implement his offense. … Disruptive defensive line, especially if Carlos Dunlap fulfills his potential.

• Don’t like: Pass defense questions — Leon Hall coming off Achilles injury, Nate Clements aging and safety Taylor Mays unproven. Outside the division, Bengals faced a bevy of bad quarterbacks last season. They don’t have that luxury this year. Will see plenty of good ones over the second half, including the Manning brothers back-to-back.

• Breakout player: Jermaine Gresham.

• Keeping an eye on: Jeff Faine, released by Tampa, replaces Kyle Cook at center.

• Record: 9-7 (miss playoffs).

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2545299-85/com-sports-tribweb-editor-steelers-triblive-pittsburgh-clark-joe-assistant#ixzz25f9Ffx1e

Atlanta Dan
09-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Nobody is disrespecting the Steelers more than Bill Simmons

"It's a Quarterback's League to a comical degree. And ultimately, 13 of them will decide what happens in the 2012 NFL season. Let's count them down from 13 to 1."

Roethlisberger is not one of them

Guess who is?

3. Joe Flacco

This will be the year Flacco grabs the AFC North QB Torch from poor Ben Roethlisberger, who's going to be pounded like a piece of veal behind yet another shaky offensive line

Finally, we have this prediction from Simmons

6-10: Pittsburgh

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8347893/the-new-quarterbacks-league

tony hipchest
09-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Nobody is disrespecting the Steelers more than Bill Simmons

"It's a Quarterback's League to a comical degree. And ultimately, 13 of them will decide what happens in the 2012 NFL season. Let's count them down from 13 to 1."

Roethlisberger is not one of them

Guess who is?

3. Joe Flacco

This will be the year Flacco grabs the AFC North QB Torch from poor Ben Roethlisberger, who's going to be pounded like a piece of veal behind yet another shaky offensive line

Finally, we have this prediction from Simmons

6-10: Pittsburgh

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8347893/the-new-quarterbacks-league
6. eli manning
5. tom braddy
1. russell wilson (seahawks rookie for those who dont know). :doh:

i couldnt even read the tripe he wrote as justification for such nonsense. :coffee:

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 08:28 PM
by Mark Kaboly

http://cdn.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/tyalro.jpg

Ike Taylor not happy with Stephen A. Smith's comments, and lets him know about it

ESPN First Take co-host Stephen A. Smith had some choice words about Ike Taylor on Friday that got a not-so-pleasant Twitter response from Ike Taylor. First, this is what Stephen A. Smith said on the show:

"Defensively is where the problem is with the Pittsburgh Steelers. First, you still have Ike Taylor in your secondary. I didn't know he was allowed back in the NFL after the way he performed against the Denver Broncos. A banishment is a worthy consideration. I say that jokingly because I am sure he is a good guy and all that stuff. But Ike Taylor, I am sorry babe, you don't know how much you let me down in that game with Tebow. It is going to be a long time before I get over that one because that was one of the most horrific performances by a cornerback that I've ever seen in NFL history."

Ike Taylor responded with a series of Tweets to Smith:

Ike Taylor ‏@Ike_SwagginU
"#GOINGIN @stephenasmith do me a favor keep my NAME out of your mouth,I don't know if your ever played a down of football and dont really

Give two you know what's this is your second time saying something I've held back from saying something in training camp.NOW I feel like

You taking this too far, if you have a personal opinion about me tell that to me like a MAN. I have two sister, and mom my son and his mom

Too hear that BS your talking put your selfish in my position you F "N with my Money, and I don't like that. Im a straight up no BS MAN.

You have another opinion get at me or put a leash on your MOUTH... #SWURVE ...

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/cc85f311-330c-4411-944b-5ea970225b9d/?source=twitter

Atlanta Dan
09-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Ed. B. of the P-G predicts Steelers 11-5 record

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117960-ed-a-game-by-game-prediction-for-2012

Road losses at Denver, Cincy, Baltimore, Giants and Dallas

That sounds about right, although the Steelers should win one of those road games (probably not tonight) while not going unbeaten at home

sluggermatt15
09-09-2012, 07:24 PM
With all due respect to Stephen A., I don't think he really knows football. I don't think it was fair to blame Taylor for the playoff loss. The team didn't play hard enough to win. You can't pinpoint one play as the difference (even though it was) and blame one guy. I guess Smith forgets that Ike Taylor has TWO Super Bowl rings....

I don't think Cincy will be THAT great. We can win there. The Giants looked pedestrian on Wednesday night and Dallas tends to be inconsistent. All three of those are winnable. I would say Baltimore and Denver (tonight) are gray areas where there exists a greater probability the Steelers would lose.