PDA

View Full Version : Final 53 thoughts plus practice squad

Kingmagyar
08-31-2012, 07:54 AM
Lots of speculation about the final 53. Will they carry only 4 WRs? 2 QBs?

The real question might be 9 LBs or 5 WRs. Adrian Robinson or Derrick Williams?

Two more will be cut from the 53 when Wes Saunders and David Decastro are ready to return. Figure Paulson for Saunders and maybe that extra LB for Decastro.

Adrian Robinson really regressed in my mind last night, so he might be able to be released and signed to the practice squad then they would keep Derrick Williams WR.

Here is a crack at it .

Special Teams --------------3 This is easy.
Suisham K
Butler P
Warren LS

QB----------------3 No reason right now to carry only 2
Roethlisberger
Leftwich
Batch

WR----------4 only 4 is risky but they can line up Rainey or a TE as a 4 and/or 5
Wallace
Brown
Sanders
Cotchery

RB-------5
Redman
Dwyer
Mendenhall
Batch
Rainey

FB-----1
Will Johnson

TE-----------3
Miller
Pope
Paulson

Offensive Line ------9 then 8 on TUE
Starks
Colon
Pouncey
Foster
Gilbert
Adams
Legursky
Essex
*Decastro -can't be placed on IR until TUE then they can add a player, probably a LB or WR

DEFENSE==========================

D-Line------------------7
Hood
Hampton
Keisel
Heyward
McLendon
Ta'amu
Woods

Linebacker----------8 then maybe 9 when Decastro is placed on IR (Adrian Robinson added?)
Foote
Woodley
Harrison
Timmons
Carter
Worilds
Sylvester
Johnson

Corners-------5
Taylor
Lewis
Allen
Brown
Josh Victorian (him or Frederick, The other will end up on the Practice Squad)

Safety--------5
Clark
Polamalu
Mundy
Allen
Golden

Practice Squad ----8

Terence Frederick CB (or Josh Victorian if Frederick makes 53)
Corbin Bryant DE
Marshall McFadden LB
Kelvin Beachum OG
David Gilreath WR
Jerrod Johnson QB
Toney Clemons WR (did nothing but they can't give up yet)
A Fullback released from another team

Tonight we will know for sure.

skinart82
08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
I have a hard time thinking Gilreath doesn't make that 5th WR spot, I don't know how the rest pans out or who they drop to fit him in, but I think he might be another breakout WR for us.

steelfury02
08-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Didn't Maze do pretty well last night? I can't remember if anyone has stepped up enough to grab the 5th WR spot or if it is a split decision at this point?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2012, 10:43 AM
I dont think they go with 4 WR's. My guess is Gilreath makes it as #5.

5 players at Safety?? Doubt it, so I think Golden makes it over Allen.

I have a hard time thinking they let go of Wes Saunders, but who knows.

I think Barron Batch is the odd man out at RB. They go with Redman, Dwyer, Rainey to start the season

TheVet
08-31-2012, 12:44 PM
I agree that Barron Batch hasn't shown enough to make the roster, but we're thin at RB, so I think he'll make it anyway.

tanda10506
08-31-2012, 01:26 PM
After Spence's injury, we are so thin at LB that keeping Robinson is a no brainer. He's played well and Worilds seems to be made of glass.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Golden has a hamstring injury, so he's not making the team. They need him week 1 if they ever need him at all, so he blew his shot, assuming the hamstring is enough to keep him out of Denver. If so, he's likely on the practice squad, and possibly called up when healthy if they carry Cromartie-Smith as a 5th safety. But there's no way they cut Will Allen to bring up Golden if they only carry 4 and he starts on the practice squad due to his injury, because his salary will be guaranteed, and the main incentive to cut him is to dump his salary.

Batch has shown plenty, and he also plays a lot of special teams. He's a good blocker and can catch the ball. He will look better running behind a starting offensive line.

I agree that I just can't see them carrying only 4 wide receivers, even if they never use 5 receiver sets.

I don't know of Robinson gets a roster spot because of Spence's injury. The injury stretches the depth inside, not outside.

On the other hand:

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Hearing former Temple OLB /DE Adrian Robinson, for now, has earned a spot on the #Steelers 53-man roster. Great story for the UDFA.

Jpeezyiseternal
08-31-2012, 03:27 PM
What time is it announced? I know today is the day.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 04:48 PM
The official time is actually 9 PM, but the Steelers already announced their cuts (see the "Cuts" thread).

Hawaii 5-0
08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Golden has a hamstring injury, so he's not making the team.

I agree that I just can't see them carrying only 4 wide receivers, even if they never use 5 receiver sets.

I don't know of Robinson gets a roster spot because of Spence's injury. The injury stretches the depth inside, not outside.

Robert Golden made the team.

they are only carrying 4 WRs.

Adrian Robinson got a roster spot.

Hawaii 5-0
09-01-2012, 01:58 PM
no Jerrod Johnson...

Steelers Agree To Terms With Eight For Practice Squad

The Steelers have agreed to terms with eight players for their practice squad, the team announced today.

The eight players include offensive linemen John Malecki and Ryan Lee, wide receivers David Gilreath and Toney Clemons, tight end Jamie McCoy, linebacker Marshall McFadden, safety Damon Cromartie-Smith and cornerback Josh Victorian.

The Steelers open their 2012 season next Sunday, Sept. 9, at Denver. Kickoff at Sports Authority Field at Mile High is set for 8:20 p.m. and will be nationally televised on NBC (locally WPXI-TV, channel 11).

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Agree-To-Terms-With-Eight-For-Practice-Squad/eaea6ba0-02bc-4bfd-bcce-36385c4da0a2

SteelCityScotty
09-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I pretty much agree with this list of practice squad additions. I would've liked to see Johnson added as QB insurance, but maybe they can sign him later in the year if no one else snatches him up.

Maze and Williams become the odd men out when it comes to WR, but I'm glad Clemons and (especially) Gilreath will remain with the organization.

I thought Frederick had a chance to beat out Victorian for that spot in the secondary, but I think the team made the right choice.

Hawaii 5-0
09-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I thought Frederick had a chance to beat out Victorian for that spot in the secondary, but I think the team made the right choice.

Terrence Frederick is the only one of the Steelers' draft choices to no longer be under contract with us.

SteelCityScotty
09-01-2012, 08:39 PM
I was pretty happy with the Steelers' draft, but I do think they could've added a more long term piece or two to the secondary. Frederick is the only CB or S they drafted, and now he's gone already.

Depth consisting of Lewis, the Allens and Mundy doesn't really excite me that much.

Hawaii 5-0
09-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Steelers Find Future Contributors In UDFA Class Once Again

Sep 1st, 2012 by Dominic Di Tolla

Am I the only one which saw shades of Joe Theismann’s horrific injury when the replays of Sean Spence’s knee were shown? ACL, LCL, and Dislocated Knee Cap are never a good combination, and to think Spence will contribute anything to this club by the time 2014 rolls around is a bit of stretch.

But instead of adopting a “Negative Nancy” attitude about the recent injuries, I would like to focus on some more positive things, namely the 53-man roster which the team will be taking into the 2012 campaign. I do not know about you readers, but the most interesting and intriguing thing to me about how the final roster broke down were the number of UDFA’s which made the final 53. With the UDFA’s in mind, I thought I would take time out to recognize those which made the most of their efforts, and discuss what they could contribute to the team now and hopefully over the course of their careers’.

Drew Butler

Granted, Drew Butler did not have any competition for his job as Jeremy Kapinos missed the entirety of the preseason due to injury. Yet Butler did a consistent enough job to not only keep the position, but prevented the Coaching Staff from scouring the waiver wire for somebody else. On the preseason, Butler punted 28 Times for an average of almost 46 Yards (45.8), and now enters the season with the Punter job all to himself. The Steelers have not had a Pro Bowl Punter since Bobby Walden garnered the honors back before there was a League merger, and could sure use some consistency and stability at the position. Butler is young, has a strong leg, and appears to have the confidence of the Coaching Staff heading into this season.

Robert Golden

As for Golden, despite the fact that he injured his hamstring against the Panthers, the former Wildcat definitely played well enough on Special Teams and on Defense to earn a job on the Practice Squad. I liked Golden’s skill-set coming out of Tucson, and I was especially fond of the fact that he had a great deal of experience playing Cornerback and Safety in the Pac-12 pass-happy conference. Golden made 8 Tackles and 1 Interception on the preseason, and leapfrogged ahead of Da’mon Cromartie-Smith for one of the final roster spots. Ryan Mundy and Will Allen had better be on notice during the next couple of seasons, because Golden will be jockeying for chances to prove himself on Special Teams and in Nickel & Dime sub-packages on Defense as well.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/09/5764342-199x300.jpg?9b4725

Adrian Robinson

Robinson to his credit showed a knack for getting to the Quarterback and creating pressure off of the edge over the last four weeks, and played much better than his stat line (3 Tackles and 1 Pass Defended) indicated. While the former Owl Defensive End will have to work on fine tuning aspects of his game like defending the run and playing pass coverage, the skill set is there for Keith Butler to work with and develop. And honestly, who better to learn from at a position than James Harrison and LaMarr Woodely, right? Plus, the fierce competition between Jason Worilds, Chris Carter, and Robinson can only help this team in terms of stabilizing the position in the future. On a team which will be purging veterans left and right over the next few seasons, these youngsters have walked into a solid situation where they can better themselves and eventually become N.F.L. starters and/or decent contributors over their careers’.

Final Thoughts

The Steelers have historically been a team which gives chances to, and develops UDFA’s on a more consistent basis than most. I will definitely be interested in watching these guys develop over the next couple of seasons. How long these three will stay on the 53-man roster is a mystery, but they did show enough promise to be kept around after only one Training Camp and preseason. While they might not be household or recognizable names right now, these three players could make their presences felt earlier than expected.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/09/01/steelers-find-future-contributors-in-udfa-class-once-again/