PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you more updated on modern events

Jpeezyiseternal
08-31-2012, 02:15 PM
1) I read that Sean Spence has looked very promising this preseason. Hes now out for the year. How did he look? Like an early-on Kendrell Bell? :tt02:

2) David Decastro's injury has been confirmed to be not as serious as initially thought, correct?

3) Who is the starting running back going into week 1? I like dwyer starting with redman still getting a good load of carries. When mendenhall comes back I evaluate whats happened and let them share the % of carries as any good coach would

4) Mike Wallace contract is done for this upcoming year, allowing him to impress the organization to earn a conract he agrees to?

5) Has Joey Porter officially retired yet?

6) When is Jerome Bettis eligible to enter the HOF?

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 02:47 PM
1) I read that Sean Spence has looked very promising this preseason. Hes now out for the year. How did he look? Like an early-on Kendrell Bell? :tt02:

It's difficult to get a clear read based on a handful of preseason snaps, but from my vantage point, he played with a level of instinct that you normally wouldn't expect for a rookie, and he also showed good sideline to sideline quickness and awareness. He is certainly a potential future signal caller on the defense and should grow into an asset in passing situations. That said, nobody is perfect. I will not speculate how much his size contributes to the issues, but he gets washed up in running plays on occasion. However, I felt that was a problem for all of the ILBs for most of the preseason games. He showed an ability to penetrate through holes in the line to get into the backfield as well. I do think he's going to be a good player for the Steelers for some years.

2) David Decastro's injury has been confirmed to be not as serious as initially thought, correct?

Correct. I've heard reports that he could miss as little as 2 and a half, or even 2 months, which would bring him back either in early or mid-November.

3) Who is the starting running back going into week 1? I like dwyer starting with redman still getting a good load of carries. When mendenhall comes back I evaluate whats happened and let them share the % of carries as any good coach would

Assuming that Redman's ankle is fine, I would assume that he will start, but Dwyer will almost assuredly get his fair share of carries, as he's earned the playing time. He averaged 5.3 yards per carry in the preseason, showed some nice hands and awareness catching passes, and is a willing and capable blocker in pass protection.

4) Mike Wallace contract is done for this upcoming year, allowing him to impress the organization to earn a conract he agrees to?

Wallace signed his restricted free agent tender. There is still a slim possibility that they can work out a long-term contract before the season starts, and Gerry Dulac even speculated that if they feel they are close to a deal, they may even work into the season to get it done

5) Has Joey Porter officially retired yet?

Yes, he retired at the Friday Night Lights practice early in training camp, along with Aaron Smith, Willie Parker, and Marvel Smith.

6) When is Jerome Bettis eligible to enter the HOF?

Next year will be his third year of eligibility, and I think he has a good chance. He came into eligibility the same year as Marshall Faulk and Curtis Martin, and they are both in now, so it's Bettis' turn.

Jpeezyiseternal
08-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Hey Dodens Grav,

Thanks for the in-depth response / review. I hope I can find some footage of that Friday Night Lights practice. Great news on Decastro, its going to be nice to have him get some practice and feel what hes up against against on the NFL level as a rookie. Valuable experience.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 03:01 PM
Here you go:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Friday-Night-Lights---Steelers-Night-Practice/f475137c-c430-4443-86a8-e3352de893e3

Jpeezyiseternal
08-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Awesome. Thanks.